PDA

View Full Version : Photomatch on "grail"?

LastingsMilledge85
11-26-2009, 01:26 AM
I have been looking for so many pictures to try to match this glove. THis is the best quality and detailed picture I can get of the glove during in-game use. I have come across pictures that look like a possibility, but this is my best bet. I can only assume it is the glove because of the fact that I believe he only had one glove during the season or so. Anyway, any help/opions are greatly appreciated. Thanks
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1097/1399637537_26db3c534e_b.jpg
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/Milledge85/DSC_0119.jpg?t=1259216710
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/Milledge85/DSC_0120.jpg?t=1259216735
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/Milledge85/DSC_0121.jpg?t=1259216761

kylehess10
11-26-2009, 01:41 AM
Only looks like a style-match IMO. There is nothing to actually match except for the fact that it's the same model glove, so there's no proof really to call it a photomatch.

joelsabi
11-26-2009, 01:58 AM
Kyle knows more than I do on this. Can you use the knot on the glove as a matching spot? looks like the same knot and same length on the area tied.

Also there are three bumps of the web area too. i circle probably in the worst color - green. but maybe all glove of this style have this protrusion of the leather in those areas.

LastingsMilledge85
11-26-2009, 02:12 AM
The inside "fur" don't know its actual name, but it appears that the ends come up (loose) on the glove in the photo and mine is loose on the ends. Again, I don't know if it is enough to go on.

perlman9
11-26-2009, 07:58 AM
I am sure you saw it on mlb auctions, but in case you didnt, there is a pirates throwback milledge up until the 29th

joelsabi
11-26-2009, 08:09 AM
The inside "fur" don't know its actual name, but it appears that the ends come up (loose) on the glove in the photo and mine is loose on the ends. Again, I don't know if it is enough to go on.

are those the two short white dashes above the TPX logo? was wondering what that was.

MLB_Authentic
11-26-2009, 10:00 AM
This is a stylematch and nothing more. End of discussion.

joelsabi
11-26-2009, 10:11 AM
This is a stylematch and nothing more. End of discussion.

i like to learn more. can you explain my observations.

so the knot cannot be used because the large knot is not static and is changeable or too common for this type of glove? the 3 bumps on web that I circled cannot be used since all glove would make the same bump. are these discounted or invalid matching areas?

you know more than i know on this subject.

STLHAMMER32
11-26-2009, 10:25 AM
In my opinion this is the same glove. The bumps are very good tell, the knot looks same and the length of the leather strings But I see the curve near the top of the glove on the "I" section to be the best tell not pointed out already. I am not good with photos to get one on here and circle the area but the chances of finding another glove with the bumps and this curve and have the other features look correct would leave me with very very little doubt it is the same glove. With that being said it can't be called 100% photomatch....in my opinion it's the glove.

BoneRubbedBat
11-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Joelsabi, I agree with you. I think people are overlooking/discounting the fine details in this comparison. There are enough unique data points to lean heavily towards calling this a match....the way the knots are tied, length and angles of leather strings, placement of the script "Lastings Milledge" vs other landmarks on the glove, etc. Maybe it would be easier in this case to look for something that does not match exactly in the comparison.....I don't see any.

joelsabi
11-26-2009, 10:34 AM
In my opinion this is the same glove. The bumps are very good tell, the knot looks same and the length of the leather strings But I see the curve near the top of the glove on the "I" section to be the best tell not pointed out already. I am not good with photos to get one on here and circle the area but the chances of finding another glove with the bumps and this curve and have the other features look correct would leave me with very very little doubt it is the same glove. With that being said it can't be called 100% photomatch....in my opinion it's the glove.

thanks for the input. i see the curve you are talking about on the I section of the web.

i used irfanview to enlarge the photo. would photoshop work better?

joelsabi
11-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Maybe it would be easier in this case to look for something that does not match exactly in the comparison.....I don't see any.

theres two white dashed about the TPX logo. I dont see that on his photo of his glove. thats why i ask the owner if that the inside of the glove as the owner of the glove mentioned but did not confirm.

joelsabi
11-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Joelsabi, I agree with you. I think people are overlooking/discounting the fine details in this comparison. There are enough unique data points to lean heavily towards calling this a match....the way the knots are tied, length and angles of leather strings, placement of the script "Lastings Milledge" vs other landmarks on the glove, etc. Maybe it would be easier in this case to look for something that does not match exactly in the comparison.....I don't see any.

i was just wondering if i was going in the right direction or pointing erroneous details. the statement not photomatch end of discussion kind of tells the owner to stop looking for better photos from that day or video from that day.

BoneRubbedBat
11-26-2009, 10:55 AM
The angle of the glove is different in the photos. The white that you see is the wool padding on the inside of the glove that gets pushed up as you slide your hand inside of the glove. If the glove was angled a little more, and a Milledge-sized hand is inserted in the glove, you would probably see the protruding padding.

joelsabi
11-26-2009, 10:59 AM
The angle of the glove is different in the photos. The white that you see is the wool padding on the inside of the glove that gets pushed up as you slide your hand inside of the glove. If the glove was angled a little more, and a Milledge-sized hand is inserted in the glove, you would probably see the protruding padding.

that makes sense. thanks.

LastingsMilledge85
11-26-2009, 11:57 AM
The wool comes up in my glove regardless if a hand is put in or not. I'll see if I can get a better view of my glove to get the same angle that is in the picture. Thanks for the help guys.

LastingsMilledge85
11-26-2009, 12:33 PM
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/Milledge85/DSC_0122.jpg?t=1259256742
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/Milledge85/DSC_0123.jpg?t=1259256767
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/Milledge85/DSC_0124.jpg?t=1259256804

zookerman182
11-26-2009, 10:10 PM
looks like a match to me, going off all of the fine points everyone else has commented on. Nice glove!

LastingsMilledge85
11-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks so much for the help. I would love to be able to photomatch everything in my collection, but that really just is not possible. Let me ask this tough, if an item has an MLB holo and is dated to a game is that considered a photomatch if there is only one for that game (i.e. a jersey)?

joelsabi
11-27-2009, 11:05 AM
great chance to practice on photo matching. thanks.

LastingsMilledge85
11-27-2009, 12:50 PM
So I guess we can conclude that it is the same glove? Thanks joelsalbi for the parts you pointed out, never noticed them.

joelsabi
11-27-2009, 01:10 PM
So I guess we can conclude that it is the same glove? Thanks joelsalbi for the parts you pointed out, never noticed them.

STLHAMMER32 made some great observations too.

LastingsMilledge85
11-27-2009, 01:32 PM
True. What if it had a MLB holo and was dated to that game. If the pics didn't match, but the MLB holo says it was used in that game, then would that be it despite any strange markings on the piece of equipment to confirm it for sure?