PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With A 70's Cardinals Jersey

Ozric
11-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Hendrick wore 27 in 1978 and I believe they had the numbers on their sleeves in 1979. Just curious what the Cardinals experts think of this jersey as I have been looking for a Cardinals Hendrick jersey for a while.

Thanks,

Tim

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250537429114&_trkparms=tab=Watching#ht_500wt_1182

sox83cubs84
11-26-2009, 08:47 PM
It looks to me like the right edge of the Rawlings tag has been tampered with. I would appreciate other GUF posters chiming in so I can see if my belief is right or not.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Ozric
11-26-2009, 09:13 PM
It looks to me like the right edge of the Rawlings tag has been tampered with. I would appreciate other GUF posters chiming in so I can see if my belief is right or not.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Hey Dave, thanks for the help. I did notice the loose stitching as well, but I found it strange that they would go through all that trouble and not bother to check what number George wore that year. He did switch to 25 in 1979 and the rest of the jersey looks right compared to others I have seen. Maybe Jeff can chime in when he has time...

Thanks again for your help as it is much appreciated,

Tim

sox83cubs84
11-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Hey Dave, thanks for the help. I did notice the loose stitching as well, but I found it strange that they would go through all that trouble and not bother to check what number George wore that year. He did switch to 25 in 1979 and the rest of the jersey looks right compared to others I have seen. Maybe Jeff can chime in when he has time...

Thanks again for your help as it is much appreciated,

Tim

Tim:

Don't assume that all forgers are smart....some are incredibly stupid. Case in point: the Cardinals 1975 road Bob Gibson jersey I was asked to examine in the early 1990s. The jersey had multiple problems, not the least of which was its being the wrong color!:eek: (Jersey was powder blue, first worn in 1976, but was flag tagged 1975).

Dave M.
Chicago area

Birdbats
11-30-2009, 09:34 AM
I didn't see this thread until this morning, but I have been trading e-mails with the seller, who ended the auction. I'd asked if he could find evidence of a number change. He wrote yesterday, "Cannot really find evidence of number or name change, although I am not an expert at it. I may have gotten took--I bought this off of ebay about 6 or 7 years ago. I have about 7 hendrick gamers all bought off of ebay. I knew he wore 27 in 1978. Although I was told it was only for part of the year." Jerry Morales wore #25 throughout '78 and was traded in December of that year; that's when #25 became available for Hendrick. He could not have worn this jersey with this number (not on sleeves) until 1981 -- which is possible, but questionable. When I told him this, he wrote, "Probably going to pull the auction down just to be safe. I would not and do not try to decieve and would not want a complaint." I didn't even look at the tag, but I agree now that I see it -- looks odd on the right side.

Ozric
11-30-2009, 11:40 AM
I didn't see this thread until this morning, but I have been trading e-mails with the seller, who ended the auction. I'd asked if he could find evidence of a number change. He wrote yesterday, "Cannot really find evidence of number or name change, although I am not an expert at it. I may have gotten took--I bought this off of ebay about 6 or 7 years ago. I have about 7 hendrick gamers all bought off of ebay. I knew he wore 27 in 1978. Although I was told it was only for part of the year." Jerry Morales wore #25 throughout '78 and was traded in December of that year; that's when #25 became available for Hendrick. He could not have worn this jersey with this number (not on sleeves) until 1981 -- which is possible, but questionable. When I told him this, he wrote, "Probably going to pull the auction down just to be safe. I would not and do not try to decieve and would not want a complaint." I didn't even look at the tag, but I agree now that I see it -- looks odd on the right side.

Hey Jeff and Dave, thanks for your follow up and your help. It is greatly appreciated. If anyone has any Hendrick gear, please let me know.

Thanks,

Tim