Louisville Slugger makes Amish Maple Bats?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IronPigs92
    • Jun 2009

Louisville Slugger makes Amish Maple Bats?

Check Out My Website: http://ironpigs92.webs.com/
  • Sincityson
    • Oct 2006

Re: Louisville Slugger makes Amish Maple Bats?

Do these Amish maple bats provide an advantage?

Have they ever made bats out of Hickory wood?

ScS
    Following Game Used/Worn auctions and team sales: www.twitter.com/gameused

Comment

• IronPigs92
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Sincityson
      Do these Amish maple bats provide an advantage?
      ScS
      This is the first time I have heard of this wood. I would also like to know what the advantages are.
      Check Out My Website: http://ironpigs92.webs.com/

Comment

• BMH
        • Jul 2007

You shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.
        Brian Hillerich

Comment

• brianborsch
          • Dec 2005

Hey Brian,

Is the seller misrepresenting the bat he is selling? What can you tell us about the bat in the listing? I figured it wasn't direct from LVS as there is writing under the knob, and LVS doesn't typically write stuff under the knob.

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
            • Dec 2008

The "A" used to stand for "Ash"....it could mean one of a dozen things here.

Just another illiterate ebayer stumbling through his false description of lies to get some poor soul to take......and the funny thing is, at $49.99, he isn't going to make any money, so what's up with that? I guess he would if the bat is stolen....then it's all pure profit to him, but who knows?

Comment

• BMH
              • Jul 2007

It is "Amish" Maple. We have another supplier of Maple and it happens to be from an Amish mill. We mark them to keep track of them in case there is a problem and we can trace the bat back to the mill. Main difference between Amish and our regular maple is the Amish seems whiter. As for rare...um, it's a BPAS bat. Nothing rare about it.
              Brian Hillerich

Comment

• BMH
                • Jul 2007

As for making money...a BPAS bat will cost a minor leaguer $26, so he's doubling his profit.
                Brian Hillerich

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by BMH
                  As for making money...a BPAS bat will cost a minor leaguer $26, so he's doubling his profit.
                  So risking your sellers reputation for $26 bucks is a solid approach on ebay these days by claiming it's "rare".....hmmm.

Not something I would do, but maybe that was his only one he intended to sell and he hoped for the best. Just another example of why you should do your homework, and.....it's good to be a forum member here. We get aqnswers right from the horses mouth here. Thanks Brian.

Comment

• earlywynnfan
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by suicide_squeeze
                    The "A" used to stand for "Ash"....it could mean one of a dozen things here.

Just another illiterateebayer stumbling through his false description of lies to get some poor soul to take......and the funny thing is, at $49.99, he isn't going to make any money, so what's up with that? I guess he would if the bat is stolen....then it's all pure profit to him, but who knows?

Just curious, because I feel I must be missing something: What makes this guy illiterate? What makes him an +++ Where are the lies and false descriptions? The only thing that seems to be out of place is "rare," which actually can be called true, since none of us here has seen or heard of such a bat until this seller brought this to our attention. At worst, it seems like a little hype, but I fail to see the cause to come down on this seller in such a tone.

Ken
                    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by earlywynnfan
                      Just curious, because I feel I must be missing something: What makes this guy illiterate? What makes him an ++++ Where are the lies and false descriptions? The only thing that seems to be out of place is "rare," which actually can be called true, since none of us here has seen or heard of such a bat until this seller brought this to our attention. At worst, it seems like a little hype, but I fail to see the cause to come down on this seller in such a tone.

Ken
                      earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
                      The illiterate part comes from his typos in his auction, Ken.

Unlike here, you have all the opportunity to correct typos, misspellings, etc. He didn't have the concern or pride to do so. Maybe you don't either? But I know when I have the opportunity to do so.....I take it.

Also, I had no idea whether the bat was made of Amish Maple. All I knew is that it was Maple. Then Brian made the statement of not always believing what you read on the net. Still, that wasn't completely telling, but it told me something was misleading. I took him for his word.....which was that something was amiss.

I call out the liers who misrepresent......even if ever so slightly...... when they are presented here. , and only used by "pros".

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                        • Dec 2008

Brian (BMH).....Is this following statement true?

"On a recent visit to the Louisville Slugger plant I spoke with personnel there to help identify this particular bat. It is barrel stamped BPAS which I was unfamiliar with. It raised a few eyebrows as several other employees gathered around to discuss it. BPAS stands for Ball Players Assortment. These are bats that are produced for the intent of athletes to come in and "try out" to see which one they like best. The BPAS bats are never sold and otherwise are not allowed to ever leave the plant. While there, an employee took me over to a section of the plant where there was a rack full of these BPAS bats that are there for players to "test swing".

I copied and pasted this here because I was curious how accurate it was. If it is true, how would this BPAS bat have gotten into the hands of an outside source? Just curious, thanks.

Steve

Comment

• BMH
                          • Jul 2007

Um...I've never heard that one.

BPAS is Ballplayer assortment. They are overruns of Pro bat orders made during the production day. They might be overweight, underweight, wrong color, wrong labeling, or even cupped when they were supposed to be uncupped. All of these BPAS's are put into a rack in the shipping department. During the season, MiLB teams come to town to play our local AAA team. These teams will come to the factory and have the opportunity to purchase these BPAS bats for $26. We also sell them to many of the South American teams. Some of your minor leaguer's will purchase the bats and then resell them on Ebay for $50-$100 a piece.
                          Brian Hillerich

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by BMH
                            Um...I've never heard that one.

BPAS is Ballplayer assortment. They are overruns of Pro bat orders made during the production day. They might be overweight, underweight, wrong color, wrong labeling, or even cupped when they were supposed to be uncupped. All of these BPAS's are put into a rack in the shipping department. During the season, MiLB teams come to town to play our local AAA team. These teams will come to the factory and have the opportunity to purchase these BPAS bats for $26. We also sell them to many of the South American teams. Some of your minor leaguer's will purchase the bats and then resell them on Ebay for $50-$100 a piece.

Thanks Brian.

Well, what do you know? The quote I published here came from another ebayer's auction. Surprised Ken? You shouldn't be. Let me know if you want the link.....

At least we know it wasn't stolen.

With respect,

Steve

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                              • Dec 2008

I guess the point I'm trying to convey is....I don't understand how an advanced intelligent collector could be so passively supportive of the guy selling this bat.

Was I bit tough on him......Yeah, I'll throw you that consession. But in a perfect world one should be able to go to the description of an item that's up for auction, and when they read what it says, they should be able to proceed to the "bid" button without concerns over having to decifer what part is true, what part is false, what parts are half-truths, borderline-misleading, or something else entirely.

That's the part that sets off my cynical side, and makes me go into attack mode. Just state the dang facts, and be honest about what it is you're trying to sell! If it appears to me that isn't happening, then expect to hear it. I don't feel the need to backpeddal or apologize for having that stance on the matter. I hope you understand.

Comment

Working...