PDA

View Full Version : A question about Authentication

scrinjun
11-29-2009, 09:56 AM
OK, so I've seen lots of posts where people list the items they have and who Authenticated them. Then there is the follow up post that says you can't trust So-and-so because of this or that. My question is, who can be trusted most? Steiner, Meigray, Mears, MLB Authentication? Maybe some of you out there think the only proof is photo matched proof. So whats the consensus?

legaleagle92481
11-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Mlb Authenticated is the most trusted for MLB items for obvious reasons. Companies like MEI Gray (NBA, NHL), Steiner (Yankees, Sox, Cowboys) and JO (NFL especially Vikings, Jets, Skins, Bears and Raiders) are trusted because they have formal relationships with teams/leagues that allow them to procure the items directly from them. Although with Steiner one has to be careful as the posts on here indicate because their letters can be faked, etc. and it is not easy to verify their holograms. Companies like Mears, PSA, JSA and the like are 3rd party authenticators and they are just giving an opinion on something for a customer who submits an item to them and as sites like autographalert.com make clear they are often wrong and in my opinion, which is shared by many others have very little value. However, please note that stuff sold by the NFL on NFL auctions comes with a PSA certificate and in that case since it is coming from the NFL rather than a customer seeking an opinion on a previously purchased item I would say it is extemely trustworthy. Stuff like photomatching is valuable when you are buying from a source other than the trusted companies, particularly items of players have been retired a few years which the trusted companies normally do not carry.

Manram
11-29-2009, 12:39 PM
The most trusted is mlb authentication

David
11-29-2009, 12:57 PM
My opinion is there are reliable examiners and sources (ala auction houses), all who will make mistakes at times. You couple their opinions, with your own and, if need be, the opinions of fellow collectors and the like. If you, as a learned hobbyist, think it's good, the examiner/auction house thinks it's good and your fellow learned collectors think it's good, it's probably good. Between the three of you, one of you would most likely catch a problem.

In other words, it's good to advance your own knowledge, pool knowledge and not rely only on one source as the final answer.

Duly note, I don't think photo matching is the be all and end all. It should be coupled with other information, such as provenance, general examination of the garment, etc. I think a collector who goes only by matching photos will end up making a mistake or two. Even when photo matched, things like provenance and correct tagging are still important.

suicide_squeeze
11-29-2009, 01:18 PM
My opinion is there are reliable examiners and sources (ala auction houses), all who will make mistakes at times. You couple their opinions, with your own and, if need be, the opinions of fellow collectors and the like. If you, as a learned hobbyist, think it's good, the examiner/auction house thinks it's good and your fellow learned collectors think it's good, it's probably good. Between the three of you, one of you would most likely catch a problem.

In other words, it's good to advance your own knowledge, pool knowledge and not rely only on one source as the final answer.

Duly note, I don't think photo matching is the be all and end all. It should be coupled with other information, such as provenance, general examination of the garment, etc. I think a collector who goes only by matching photos will end up making a mistake or two. Even when photo matched, things like provenance and correct tagging are still important.

David, I was with you completely, until your last paragraph.

There is nothing.....NOTHING......better than a positive photo match. If it truly is a photo match, the rest doesn't matter in the least.

Absent of a photo match, provenance comes in many shapes and colors, and that stands on it's own merit for each individual item.

I would put MLB authentication close to the top of the list, probably second to an absolute photo match, and you can mix any Meigray photo-matched item up there with #1......you can't dispute a photo match.

maccamania
11-29-2009, 01:27 PM
When it comes to game-used bats, I find Mears and John Taube (PSA) to
be very knowledgeable when it comes to bat authentication, Taube makes himself very accessible when it comes to answering bat questions.
Also there are many forum members who can be a great resource when it comes to game used items.