PDA

View Full Version : any thoughts?

hiflyer56
12-01-2009, 10:08 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Walter-Payton-Game-Worn-Used-Chicago-Bears-Jersey_W0QQitemZ150393914022QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item23042d02a6#ht_500wt_1089

allstarsplus
12-01-2009, 10:44 PM
If it is real, if if if, I would think $1,250 is a steal!!!!!!!!!!! I saw that COA from Lampson and got a real uneasy feeling.

Can't wait to hear what the experts have to say.

You ought to copy over the photos as this should be a good one to anaylyze!

TriplexXxSports
12-02-2009, 07:05 AM
Isn't the seller a forum member?

I looked at this last night and, although my expertise is not in Wilson c.1980's gamers, I had some immediate concerns.

1) The noted size difference. Lou mentioned in the LOA that it is tagged a 44 but measures to a 48 and that it could have been a mistake made by the manufacturer? Yea, or some one could have altered a pro cut and changed the tag to a 44 from a 48, added some game used and removed the nameplate.

2) The nameplate was removed. The seller suggests that this could have been for practice purposes? I don't know about that......

3) The well know Lou Lampson authenticated it. His reputation as a genuine authenticator is thin. Maybe he was under one of his spoken 'Time Crunches' and didn't have good daylight to look at this jersey under? I don't know. But, we all know Lou's reputation around here and that raises a BIG red flag to me.

IMO - with the abundance of Payton gamers that have turned up over the years (most of which were authenticated by Lou) I would be skeptical of any of them. Unless I was shown a 110% positive photomatch, a detailed letter from the Walter Payton Foundation, or was there when it was taken from his closet or the locker room, I would save the cash and wait for one with undoubtable provenance. A 'true' Payton gamer would command 10x's what this one is being sold for, and if the seller can part with it for $1200, or whatever, that tells me that he paid less than that in the first place. That all just doesn't add up.

My $.02 would suggest that you do your homework on this one....

34swtns
12-02-2009, 06:46 PM
I've never, with a capitol EVER, seen a Wilson Bears jersey that the size was different than what was stated on the tag.
Take that for what it's worth but I've owned a couple hundred of them, so.....

Also, all the white Bears practice jerseys I've ever seen, either held in my hands, seen available for sale, or seen pictured in the literally 10's of thousands of pages of archival material in my collection, have all had navy numbers with no orange border. While some have had both navy and orange sleeve striping, none I've ever seen had orange incorporated in the numerals.
My 2 centabos...