PDA

View Full Version : how are prices for game used determined?

mbenga28
12-03-2009, 01:35 PM
the other day I contacted Steiner about getting a Jeter signed game used baseball and was told over $3,000, which made me wonder how are prices for game used, as well as autographed, items determined? do the teams, athletes, dealers determine this? how does it work? thanks.

kylehess10
12-03-2009, 01:55 PM
What Steiner typically does is determine the actual value of an item, then they multiply that by 10 or 20 and use that price instead.

legaleagle92481
12-03-2009, 01:58 PM
If you want a Jeter signed game used ball try Ebay during the season I saw a few for under $400 and they were Steiner certified. Game used and autograph prices are determined by a combination of factors, including: The cost of the item to the company selling it, the profit that such company desires to make off of such product and current market conditions such as how in demand the player or team in questions products are at the time.

perlman9
12-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Here is a link to a Steiner action for a Jeter Game Used Ball with a starting bid of $222. No bids yet. They also have a cleat and batting glove with same starting bid

http://auction.steinersports.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=111240118&prmenbr=55076099&aunbr=111586828

mbenga28
12-03-2009, 02:04 PM
thanks, so is the selling price fully determined by the company? do the teams/athletes have any say in this as well?

also what about regular autographed items? since I mentioned Jeter, is it he or Steiner who dictates his signed photographs sell for $500?

David
12-03-2009, 02:34 PM
It's a partnership (or quasi partnership) between the Yankees and Steiner, so the prices might be determined by both together.

As noted, their prices are very high and you can get a Jeter autographed baseball elsewhere for lower.

David
12-03-2009, 02:39 PM
What I said was for game used equipment. For signed baseballs, the player is probably involved and gets paid. I don't believe players are involved with the game used equipment, as the team owns that stuff not the players.

My personal opinion is I think $500 for a Jeter signed photo is insane.

karamaxjoe
12-03-2009, 02:58 PM
For game used, prices are determined by what the next guy is willing to pay. It's that simple.

cohibasmoker
12-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Unless a personal took TARP money from the Federal Government, a person is free to put whatever price tag they wish.

Just my opinion. I hope I didn't offend any member.

Jim

Sincityson
12-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Thats just plain ridiculous! There are general rules of thumb, but we see them being broken all the time.

The Colorado Rockies certainly have a good system for the most part, when it comes to game used pricing.

the other day I contacted Steiner about getting a Jeter signed game used baseball and was told over $3,000, which made me wonder how are prices for game used, as well as autographed, items determined? do the teams, athletes, dealers determine this? how does it work? thanks.

David
12-03-2009, 07:21 PM
My opinion is what something sold for isn't always the value, certainly not the market value. An insane person paying 3x ($10,000) more than anyone else would pay doesn't make the item worth $10,000.

joelsabi
12-04-2009, 12:30 AM
can someone explain to me, using an example. of when a price is known to be too much. if a car is on a car lot for over a year, i figure that is bad business decision to keep the price at that amount. they car should be marked down to bring in new inventory.

i see many items on ebay that i keep on my watch list that i think are too expensive. but when the item is relisted after 30 days at the that price, the item is relisted at that price. when should i expect the seller to reduce his/her asking price? after how many days or months would it be reasonable to a discount on a item that has not sold at a specific listed price?

mariner_gamers
12-04-2009, 01:30 AM
Initial entrance for a lot of game used items is through distributors who often have a store front to demonstrate "retail" value. They price things outrageously high and on occasion will actually move a few at the high prices. In reality they are setting the table for wholesalers who feel they are getting a deal when they receive large discounts on bulk purchases.

Depending on the amount purchased wholesalers can receive what they perceive as a huge discount 30, 40 even 50% off what they have seen as the "retail" price. Even at these large discounts the original distributors are making a decent profit. Decent profit becomes huge winfall if the distributor happens to have a line on the guy that breaks a record or a team that wins a series.

The high "retail" price also helps the secondary dealers who can afford to buy large amounts and get the higher discounts. They can in turn sell items below what the source is charging and make a decent profit while giving the impression they are giving their customer a good deal. "Look big Dealer A is selling these for $2,000 and I got you one for $1,700!!"

After an item has been in private hands awhile it's price is determined mostly by auctions. The prices obviously fluctuate depending on how rare, popular desireable an item is. As we have seen the past 2 years the economy also plays a large roll.

Hype has always and will always rule the hobby. If someone gets hot everyone wants a piece. Also if a player has been very successful for 4 or 5 years the prices of their items usually reflect the belief the player will continue to be very successful forever, literally.

Just my 2 cents.......

Davis

legaleagle92481
12-04-2009, 09:52 AM
As an FYI alot of companies like UDA and Steiner have discount coupons for their websites. Just google Steiner discount coupon or upperdeck Store discount coupon and you will find a bunch of sites with them. They can be like 15-20% off.

Mariners, I agree with what you with regard to companies like Steiner but not all companies have distributors I could be wrong but MEIGray and JO Sports, the two largest game used dealers do not have distributors.

Joel, I think the explanation on why they do not lower prices on Ebay may just be that they are not fulltime dealers and have enough income from other sources that they can afford to hold onto items until they get their asking price for them.

David
12-04-2009, 05:06 PM
For vintage baseball card collectors, there are multiple examples of a particular and many examples from that set. If they follow sales and auctions, sell themselves, then they can get good feel for value. A card that is offered way above going value would be obvious.

Fnazxc0114
12-04-2009, 10:02 PM
ive overpaid for several items, the reason being is i had never seen these items on the open market until i bought them. In order to sell many items in my collection i would have to take a large hit. A lot of this has to do with buying the majority of my stuff from the team.