PDA

View Full Version : Heinie Manush

b.heagy
06-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Greetings,
Wondering if there are any records for Heinie Manush. Thanks in advance for your time.

Bill

MSpecht
06-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Hi Bill--

Yes, records do exist for Heine Manush from 7/19/20 through the end of his playing career 8/23/39 (excluding 1924), and for his post career from 4/2/40 through 1944. As his career pre-dated the use of model numbers on H & B bats, the records refer to model bats made for Manush and bats made for other players that Manush ordered duplicated.

The records are difficult to understand in this context, however become clearer when reviewing all records in total, as will be available in Vince Malta's soon-to-be-published book, which will be available through Game Used Universe. . The important characteristics for consideration from the information below would primarily be the length and weights referenced.

Heine Manush first had a bat turned to his specifications on 2/21/21 from an unidentified model he sent to the company. That model became known as His (Manush's) Model 2-21-21. Prior to that time he ordered models of a bat identified as (Zack) Wheat 6-9-20. Orders of the Wheat 6-9-20 were in lengths of 35 inches, 36 inches, and whatever the common Wheat length was (not identified). Later model bats developed by Manush were referenced as His 3-16-21, His 4-12-21, His 6-30-21, His 2-28-25, His 4-16-25, and His 5-7-25,

In addition to the above models made to his specifications, he ordered and used models attributed to Bengough, Buddy Ryan, Ed Collins, Mike Cereri, fred Marberry, Dutch Ruether, and Ty Cobb.

Lengths found in Manush's records are 34 inches, 35 inches, and 36 inches. Weights documented in his personal records range from 34 ounces to 40 ounces, with the majority between 36 - 38 ounces.

It is easy to see that the use of identifying bats by the assignment of model numbers in the early 1940's was a major revolution for the H & B batmakers. Throughout the 1930's and in his post career, Manush most frequently ordered Dutch Ruethen's 8-24-27 35 inches / 34-35 ounces. That bat eventually was indexed as Modekl R16.

The above information is difficult to use on its own to help authenticate a specific bat without utilizing any additional information that may exist in referencing the dimensions and charts of the other players' models referenced above. If you have a specific bat you are seeking information about, post photos, dimensions, etc and I will try to hepl narrow the time frame and particular model for you.

Good Luck.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

b.heagy
06-15-2006, 06:49 AM
Hi Mike,
Much appreciated. I am looking at "potential" gamers this weekend and this will come in handy. If I come to an agreement I will share what I find. Thanks again for your time.

Take Care,
Bill

ghostkid
06-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Bill,

Looking at "potential" gamers sounds like a very cool way to spend the weekend. I will be heading to the beach, so all I get to look at is bikini-clad women :). Good luck with getting some great finds...

Kevin

b.heagy
06-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Bill,

Looking at "potential" gamers sounds like a very cool way to spend the weekend. I will be heading to the beach, so all I get to look at is bikini-clad women :). Good luck with getting some great finds...

Kevin

Hey Kevin,
Hope you had a great trip to the beach. Turns out I should have went as the Gamers I was promised turned out to be game used store models ! :mad: . Oh well. At any rate I picked up a very nice Manush Zinn Beck 300 Label with Professional burned on the barrel. Comes up short at 32 and a quarter inches. Knob is blank.

Mike,
Thanks for all your help. It really came in handy. You are the man.

Take Care,
Bill

ghostkid
06-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Bill,

The Zinn Beck Manush bat sounds interesting. If possible, pleazse post a picture or two.

Kevin

b.heagy
06-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Kevin,
Here are some shots of the bat. Knob and end of barrel tip are flat. Has great eye appeal with the classic deep branding that is often found on Zinn Beck bats which I am sure you already know since you have a nice selection of them. I am not sure if you have looked at the latest Hunt catalog for the July 11th sale, There is a Zinn Beck 300 Model Paul Waner listed as a Professional model (it is hand turned) with an estimate of 2-3k. same type of bat as this one with Professional branded on the barrel. I recall a previous thread where not too much was known about the Beck 300 models, perhaps some new info is out there. That particular bat (Paul Waner) is 36 inches long and is 34 oz. As I stated in my previous post this example comes up short when compared to the LS factory records. Still a cool bat in my opinion. Let me know what you think. Other opinions always welcome.

Bill

ghostkid
06-22-2006, 06:48 PM
Bill,

That's a very nice Manush bat. I don't have any quite like that one, but I did see the Waner bat for sale at Hunt's. Given that your bat is a bit shorter than other known Manush gamers, I'd say that yours is worth maybe 50% of what the Waner bat sells for (just an educated guess).

In case you missed it, check out lot #1090 from the 4/29/06 Robert Edwards Auction. That's a Cobb Zinn Beck 300 model that sold for $1972 (including buyer's penalty). It's a bit different than yours, but perhaps can be used as a point of reference?

Kevin

b.heagy
06-25-2006, 02:48 AM
Mike,
I was wondering what your thoughts were on this bat. I had it weighed and is comes in at a whopping 40oz. Any thoughts? Seems like an unusual piece to me.
Thanks,
Bill

MSpecht
06-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Hi Bill--

Currently, the research that has been done on Zinn Beck bats is most conclusive when examining Zinn Beck bats that were returned to H & B with side writing in order for H & B to reproduce the bat for a professional player's use under the H & B brand.

In current Zinn Beck research, no side written Model 300 or 400 bats were found as having been sent to H & B for reproduction. All of those models examined were of star players of the day, which would include Manush, leading to a belief that those models were primarily retail bats. All samples of those models appeared to have hand-turned knobs, however, which is generally a professional model trait, and would be evaluated along with if the bat were sent for authentication. Zinn Beck bats returned to H & B with examined side writing have all been Zinn Beck models designated as Special or Extra Special or 100 Diamond Ace.

On the Model 300 bat you describe, Bill, the length does not conform to documented H & B records, which you would think should be very close to bats Manush used from any manufacturer. The weight, however, is extreme and within documented records for Manush. Also, it is believed that 40 ounce bats were very rarely, if ever, offered as store model bats.

Feel free to post photos or send me pictures of the bat and I will be happy to offer additional information and an opinion on it. Thanks to MEARS for the core research referenced above.

Good Luck.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

b.heagy
06-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the great input. I have attached photos in the 7th post of this thread. Many thanks to MEARS for the contribution, always appreciated.

Bill

MSpecht
06-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Hi Bill--- I don't see any attached photos to your post # 7....maybe my browser or something ? Anyway, hope the info has helped so far.
Mike