PDA

View Full Version : OT - MLB Fantasy Camps

shoremen44
12-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Has anyone ever attended a MLB Fantasy camp?

I would love to hear about your experience... I was a college athlete, but alas I haven't played on a baseball team since I was 10.

I was considering taking my father as a gift...

can anyone share how it was?

thanks

CampWest
12-03-2009, 05:34 PM
I've not been personally, but I have spoken to a few guys that went to the Royals fantasy camp... and everybody loved it. I am hoping to go here in a year or two.

Go!

tigerdale
12-03-2009, 05:49 PM
I went to the Detroit Tiger fantasy camp back in 1995 & it was one of the greatest weeks ever. There were some good ball players there & some not so good....old & young....but EVERYONE had a great time. Its kind of like going on a cruise...you can make it as busy or as simple as you want , its YOUR vacation(fantasy). If you have the cahnce, I'd say GO!! I hope to get back someday....

Sincityson
12-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Anyone know a rough estimate as to how much they cost?

grenda12
12-03-2009, 07:09 PM
White Sox fantasy camp is $4,195 which doesnt include transportation to and from Glendale, AZ.

momen55
12-03-2009, 10:39 PM
my first one was in 04 with the pirates. it was the 25th anniversary of the 79 team. it was great! manny, easler, candyman, kison, etc were all great. i went to dinner with sangy where roberto clemente had taken him for dinner the first time. great stories too.

momen55
12-03-2009, 10:40 PM
oh. it was $3 or $3100.

grenda12
12-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Below is the email from Marc of the Detroit Tigers talking about their camp.

Special Baseball Fantasies are available on the Tigers web site along with gift certificates for the holiday season. These include Batting practice at Comerica Park, Throwing out the first pitch at a Tigers home game, Taking the line up card to home plate, Watching the game from the press box, being part of the grounds crew for an inning and of course our Winter Fantasy Camp in Lakeland, Florida, January 17-24 and 24-31, 2010. Details are available by calling Jerry Lewis at 313-471-2550.

island_style
12-06-2009, 06:19 AM
I attended the Dodgers camp in Vero Beach, FL in January/February 2008. The team was to move their spring training site in Arizona the following year. I've always wanted to do a Dodgers camp, and doing it in Vero Beach, where the Dodgers trained for 60 years, was a great experience.

Home and road uniforms were washed and hanging in your locker at the start of each day. We got to keep the home and road uniforms, including the home and road pants, belt, sanitary hose, stirrups and cap. Everyone, including the instructors, used the minor league clubhouse. My picture that I use for these posts is of my locker. The team provided batting helmets and wood bats. I would suggest that you bring your own bats and helmet, along with anything else like batting gloves and an undershirt for your uniforms. Every camper brought their own fielding glove(s) and cleats.

We played six games, including a game against the pros at Holman Stadium. Former MLB umpire, Dutch Rennert, was the Chief Umpire. Camper occupations included office workers, retirees, CEO's, entertainers, lawyers, etc. Age compliment was from the early 20's up to the 80's. The skill level was from from not having played baseball in many years and up to college level. The teams were evenly drafted.

A typical day started off with breakfast in the dining room, followed by getting dressed into your home or road uniform in the clubhouse. The morning stretch on Field 2 preceded each day's games. Instructor-pitched games went nine innings, and the camper-pitched games were seven. We had lunch in the clubhouse after the games. A couple of days there were doubleheaders (and a change of uniforms). We had a couple of hours to rest, and then it was off to dinner in the dining room. The lounge was open after dinner, and it was there that you got to watch your game on TV and hang out with the other campers and Instructors. And, oh yes, visits to the training room before, in-between and after games.

There was also a photo session to take pictures for our baseball cards and team photos. Actually, we were always being photographed and/or being filmed for the camp's DVD.

All of the facilities at Dodgertown, except the Major League clubhouse, were available to the campers. We all stayed in the same on-site villas that house the Dodger players during spring training (although the veteran Major Leaguers usually stayed off campus). Once I arrived at Dodgertown, I never left until it was time to head back to the airport.

Playing on the Dodgertown practice fields and at Holman Stadium was amazing. The fields were perfectly manicured before each game.

Asking the instructors for autographs was never an issue. They signed anything you wanted. The stories that they told at camp were priceless. Our instructors included former Dodger Major and Minor Leaguers, as well as four Brooklyn Dodgers.

Sorry for the long post, but this only scratches the surface on what it's like to attend a MLB camp.

Bert, I hope that you decide to attend the camp with your dad. There were some fathers and sons at my Dodger camp. It will be an experience that you'll never forget.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

shoremen44
12-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Ron,
thanks for the long post... sounds awesome

island_style
12-07-2009, 05:57 AM
You're welcome, Bert.

Please let us know of your experience when you return if you decide to attend. It will be something that you'll never forget!

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

CampWest
12-24-2009, 10:21 AM
I can't find the article right now, but the Royals apparently cancelled the 2010 fantasy camp due to lack of interest. They largely blamed the economy for holding people back from splurging on the trip.

I've not been personally, but I have spoken to a few guys that went to the Royals fantasy camp... and everybody loved it. I am hoping to go here in a year or two.

Go!

MichaelofSF
12-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Wes,
I'm planning on going to the Royals camp, but they have a 30 year old age requirement. I will be 30 at the Royals 2013 (born in 5/82) fantasy camp, would love to go then, if interested then go that year.