Ebay Johnny Bench Game Used Jersey

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diamondicons1

Ebay Johnny Bench Game Used Jersey

Any Big Red Machine Collectors have thoughts about this Bench jersey currently on Ebay.

Thanks, Mike
  • sox83cubs84
    Banned
    • Apr 2009

Re: Ebay Johnny Bench Game Used Jersey

Forged flag tag (not necessarily by seller), inconsistent stitching on right side of Rawlings tag...I'm exceedingly wary.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Comment

• 33bird
      Banned
      • Nov 2005

Here's a 1979 Griffey home jersey I use to own-just for comparison with the 78 Bench.
      Attached Files

Comment

• 33bird
        Banned
        • Nov 2005

I also asked the owner if it was all original and unaltered and he never replied, but when I asked if he would sell it off ebay he got right back to me. Here's the Bench flag tag.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Neely8
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by sox83cubs84
          Forged flag tag (not necessarily by seller), inconsistent stitching on right side of Rawlings tag...I'm exceedingly wary.

Dave M.
          Chicago area
          To me the stitching on the left and right side of the Rawlings tag looks the same and how can you tell the set tag is forged? Thanks.

Comment

• 33bird
            Banned
            • Nov 2005

Yea, Dave, give us the scoop brother.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
              Banned
              • Apr 2009

Guys:

The stitch strokes on the right are noticeably shorter than on the other 3 sides.

Also, most forged frm scrathc Rawlings flag tags exhibit a faded, washed out look, like this one does. Unlike some jersey tags, Rawlings flag tags of genuine manufacture are not know to fade noticeably over normal usage.

Dave M.
              Chicago area

Comment

• 33bird
                Banned
                • Nov 2005

Maybe I'm daft, but I'm not seeing the stitching difference and I've had Reds jerseys from the 70s with faded flag tags too. Please advise.

Comment

• otismalibu
                  • Nov 2005

The stitch strokes on the right are noticeably shorter than on the other 3 sides.
                  I'm not seeing that.
                  I see that the stitches on the eBay auction tag are shorter than the Griffey, but I'm not spotting one side of tag stitching standing out on the eBay jersey.
                  Greg
                  DrJStuff.com

Comment

• Neely8
                    • Apr 2006

It doesn't matter as this point. The seller ended the auction and probably cut a side deal. Just as well because I'd rather not deal with a person like him and the way he handled the sale of this jersey with haphazard responses to emails. I don't think a little communication would be too much to ask. It's not like we are talking about some $125 common jersey here.

Comment

• CollectGU
                      • Nov 2005

AS a follow up to this post, I read this on the MEARS website. Dave , is this old news?

Tapatalk brings you to people who share your own passions and interests. Millions of members are online now, sharing their expert opinions with others who can truly appreciate them. Tapatalk is different from traditional social media--the people you meet will be as excited by your hobby as you are.

Best,
                      Dave

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by CollectGU
                        AS a follow up to this post, I read this on the MEARS website. Dave , is this old news?

Tapatalk brings you to people who share your own passions and interests. Millions of members are online now, sharing their expert opinions with others who can truly appreciate them. Tapatalk is different from traditional social media--the people you meet will be as excited by your hobby as you are.

Best,
                        Dave
                        Right now, I'm trying to figure out what my exact duties with MEARS are. I did submit a letter of resignation a couple of months back during an emotional moment, but have since agreed to grab database images for them and expressed a willingness to do additional work if desired. (All those transplant meds aren't cheap!) I guess I'll know more in a week or 2. I know this sounds rather vague, but I'll clarify more once I have a better understanding of what's being expected or isn't of me.

Dave M.
                        Chicago area

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2009

To update the off-topic portion of the thread: I am no longer an official MEARS staffer by mutual and amicable agreement. I still will have contact with MEARS, but on an independent basis, not as a staff employee. I still have strong belief in the vast majority of MEARS undertaking, policies, and practices.

To update the Bench jersey portion of the thread, I viewed a legit 1978 Rawlings flag tag../the font on a genuine version is not as large as on the fake flag tag on the bench. I can't provide pics, but maybe another Forum member has a common 1978 flag tag that they can post for visual comparison.

Dave M.
                          Chicago area

Comment

Working...