PDA

View Full Version : Larry Doby bat

scottanservitz
06-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Hi. Did Doby use an Adirondack 218D? If so, what were the specs? Can this be a coaches bat? Thanks in advance.
Scott

MSpecht
06-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Hi Scott--

The first thing you should know about the bat involves the letter D in the model number...here is a portion of a previous post that explains the situation:

"There has always been some controversy surrounding Adirondack bats that have the letters C or D following the series of numbers in the model number. Some collectors' believe that Adirondack offered both C and D model bats to both the public via catalogue and to professional players. Others have the opinion that D bats were primarily shipped to colleges for the school's use. In 1991 bat researcher/collector Mike Montbriand stated that he was comfortable with C model bats with provenance, explaining : "I base that on my personal experience with C model bats plus my knowledge that professional ballplayers, such as Harmon Killebrew, own professional model Adirondack bats with model numbers stamped in the knob ending with the letter C." I, also, have personally seen Adirondack bats that are undoubtedly professional model bats that have come straight from former batboys, circa 1950's and 1960's, with model numbers ending with the letter C."

Thus, your initial decision is to research as much as you can and determine your personal comfort level with Adirondack D Series bats as bats manufactured for professional use.

Unfortunately there are no Adirondack records available in document form for Larry Doby or any player that have been made available to the public. In this instance, make sure that the labeling period is consistent with Doby's playing career (1947 to 1959) which would include Adirondack labeling periods 1946-1950, 1951-1957, and 1958-1960. From there, compare weight and length of the Adirondack bat with those measurements from Doby's documented H & B records, as it is reasonable to assume he would use pretty much the same length and weight of bat from either manufacturer, regardless of model, at similar points in his career. That comparison would show the following;

During the 1946-1950 Adirondack labeling period, Doby ordered H & B bats in lehgths of 34 inches and 35 inches, with weights between 32 and 35 ounces. The bats of 34 inches corresponded with the beginning of his Major League career (1949-1950).

During the 1951-1957 Adirondack labeling period, Doby used H & B bats in lengths of 34.5 inches and 35 inches, weighing between 32 and 35 ounces.

During the 1958-1960 Adirondack labeling period, Doby used H & B bats that were 33.5 inches, 34 inches, 34.5 inches, and 35 inches in length, weighing between 31 and 33 ounces.

Just for information, Doby's most frequently ordered H & B models during his career, chronologically, were O16, C25L, M110, K55, O16 (again), and W171.

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

scottanservitz
06-15-2006, 08:20 PM
Mike,
Many thanks. I now remember reading that info in a previous post, but have since forgotten. I will never purchase a bat before I check on this board. You and Joe are the best!
Regard,
Scott

scottanservitz
06-15-2006, 08:21 PM
I meant to say Jim. My bad.