PDA

View Full Version : film worn jerseys

mbenga28
12-18-2009, 07:14 AM
do any of you collect film worn sports related items? thinking of picking this up but don't have much knowledge in this area as much as game used items, any feedback would be helpful thanks

http://www.premiereprops.com/product_info.php?products_id=7574

TNTtoys
12-18-2009, 08:09 AM
I have dabbled in this from time to time but it usually results in me selling that item rather than keeping it. After looking at the item you're thinking of purchasing, my first thought is that is grossly overpriced.

You might want to contact forum member Larry Pellicioni -- he probably knows more about the screen-worn stuff than anyone here.

godwulf
12-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Grossly overpriced, agree. Particularly since the costume department probably made up a half dozen of this exact jersey, and there's no real guarantee that the actor ever put this one on. They always have multiple standbys, in case of damage, or just so they have a clean one for reshoots, etc.

Another thing I don't like about it is that the only COA they're providing is their own - nothing from the studio or production company.

mbenga28
12-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Another thing I don't like about it is that the only COA they're providing is their own - nothing from the studio or production company.

like I said before, my knowledge in this area is limited, but isn't the LOA issued by them similar to the ones where sports memorabilia companies have in agreement with teams?

http://www.premiereprops.com/authenticity.php

thanks for the help, what is Larry Pellicioni board name here?

Larry Pelliccioni
12-18-2009, 09:18 AM
My board name is the same as my real name Larry Pelliccioni. My email is llpell@wowway.com and I would be happy to help you if I can.
I can say that there are not alot of collectors who go after film worn memorobilia for some of the reasons articulated in the other posts although some of that information is a bit misleading. Premiere Props has been very active on ebay and has brought into the hobby, many wonderful items that in years past would have been recycled for other shoots.
You raise a larger issue that has plagued both sports and film collector's for years and that is the value of letter or certificates of authenticity.
Let me just say this and that the value is in the item not in a document, both can be forged.
We get the items that movie studios and equipment managers want us to have and in many cases it justifies and is the item that truly was but like anything else, it has also opened the door for fraud.
Anyway, contact me if you want my help, I stand willing to assist anyone, almost anytime and although my knowledge base pales in comparison to others, I have learned a little in the 36 years of collecting.
Larry Pelliccioni

mbenga28
12-18-2009, 09:43 AM
thank you for coming by Larry and for the good insight, I was unaware Premiere Props was active on Ebay and it looks that they have very solid feedback. considering the awards this film is going to win, the price for the item is not so bad. I'm also thinking of picking up one of the worn helmets from the film.

my only concern now is what godwulf mentioned earlier about having multiple sets of the same item and how can I be sure if what was in the film is the same item I am receiving? if you could also address that as well Larry that would be great.

Larry Pelliccioni
12-18-2009, 10:22 AM
There is no getting around what godwulf wrote. He stated the truth although I think it would be difficult to document exactly how many of each item was prepared for each actor and extra and then what of the items that are prepared are actually shown in the final cut of the movie.
One item in my collection is Brian Bozworth's helmet from the Longest Yard. I freeze my dvd of the movie and the marks line up perfectly with what I have however on the back of my helmet is the #82, Boz wore #44. You can see the outline of another number's glue residue on the back but my thought is that he was used as filler in a scene after his scenes were done. I emailed him for confirmation but he never responded. He is probably still upset that I would not sell him back his Seattle Seahawks game worn helmet. Like sports there are alot of variants in the end, the only person that you have to satisfy is yourself. I will disclose that the reason I got into collecting film worn items is that I am not as likely to see a Detroit Red Wing game from 1998 in 20 years as I am likely to see Mystery Alaska (for whom I have the whole team's uniforms). It has been an expensive but rewarding hobby. Stop by our website if you get a chance, we have a section there with movie worn items that are very modestly priced.
And all the best to you in your pursuit.
Larry Pelliccioni

Larry Pelliccioni
12-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Let me be very clear, my invitation to come by my site is not so much an invitation to purchase which clearly violates the policy of this board which I respect but serves as a basis for comparison to what you are being offered.
Thank you.
Larry Pelliccioni

suave1477
12-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Premeire Props is a very reputable site/dealer they are usually contracted/affiliated with the movie wardrobe companies that provide for the actual movies and sell there items via there website and/or ebay.

As stated an LOA is only worth an LOA but Premierie Props in most cases will state what the item actually is on the LOA.
Example.
If it was the actual item worn by said actor.
If it was an item worn by the stunt double.
If it was a back up item.

If it was the actual worn item they will usually post a picture or state the scene it was used in.

I have purchased from them before and never been happier with the products I recieved.

godwulf
12-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Hey, Larry, I checked out your site, and I have to agree that your prices are very reasonable. My only complaint - Where's the Baseball stuff?! :cool:

I'm still kicking myself for not buying Robbie Sinclair's high school letter jacket from Dinosaurs when I had the chance a few years ago. I love that show, and that would have been a very cool item to own.

mbenga28
12-18-2009, 11:17 AM
thanks again Larry, I will take a look at your site.

suave do you happen to have a photo or sample of how the Premiere Props LOA looks like, do they have holograms like with sports LOA? Also were you able to photomatch your pieces to the film's? thanks

godwulf
12-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Premeire Props is a very reputable site/dealer they are usually contracted/affiliated with the movie wardrobe companies that provide for the actual movies and sell there items via there website and/or ebay.

As stated an LOA is only worth an LOA but Premierie Props in most cases will state what the item actually is on the LOA.
Example.
If it was the actual item worn by said actor.
If it was an item worn by the stunt double.
If it was a back up item.

If it was the actual worn item they will usually post a picture or state the scene it was used in.

I have purchased from them before and never been happier with the products I recieved.

Thanks for the recommendation...I'll have to check out their stuff.

Larry Pelliccioni
12-18-2009, 11:20 AM
I am not actively selling any of my baseball but in reality those seem to be in shorter supply than those of other sports godwulf. Oh and don't worry about kicking yourself, should I meet you one day, I'll kick you for not getting that jacket...lol.
I do have pieces from the Natural, Damn Yankees, 61*, Cobb and if you consider this baseball: A League of their Own. If you go up on the Gallery section and then look for the link to movie worns in the gallery it will take you to a Rockford Peach I have.
I am glad that others are praising Premeire Props as I have had likewise very positive dealings with them.
I am glad to keep this thread going public as I think that others are benefitting from our discussion. I hope that continues. All my best,
Larry Pelliccioni

godwulf
12-18-2009, 11:36 AM
I have one of Geena Davis' uniforms from ALOTO, which my sister bought me as a gift some years ago; next to my Randy Johnson glove (which she also bought me...I have a really great sister) it's probably the second priciest thing in my collection. As far as favorite screen-used Baseball items, I have two things from the "The Unnatural" episode of The X-Files: the suitcase Jesse L. Martin carried in a couple of scenes, and one of the bats they used in filming - an old A.J. Reach club.

both-teams-played-hard
12-18-2009, 12:37 PM
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/1508/silk1n.jpghttp://img121.imageshack.us/img121/4897/silk3azf.jpg

Screen used jockey silks worn by Eddie Quillan in the 30s or 40s (unknown production). I have owned several jerseys from random sports productions, but sold them all.

In the Saturday morning TV show, "Hang Time", I played a basketball player on one of the opposing teams. I wore the "AMITY HIGH" jersey with the name "TATUM". I really, really want to find that jersey!

David
12-18-2009, 04:05 PM
I second what Suave set. They are a legitimate auctioneer and the studios sell their stuff though Premier Props. They are essentially the agent for numerous studios, not unlike Steiner is for the Yankees etc. The Premier Prop LOAs that I have seen were co-signed and endorsed by the Studio, and sometimes signed by the studio president-- so the LOAs can be considered as also coming from the studios (ala Steiner-Mets). They also specifically note which ones were actually worn and which were not. I think the studios consign the stuff to raise funds for charities.

David
12-18-2009, 04:19 PM
As an example, I had an item from the Martin Scorsese movie The Aviator, and the accompanying Premier Props LOA was co-signed by Harvey Weinstein. Weinstein co-founded the studio (Marimax Films), and was Executive Producer of such films as Pulp Fiction, Lord of the Rings, Chicago and The English Patient.

I’m not saying all the LOAs have a signature on that magnitude, but the LOAs I have were signed by a studio representative of some kind.

both-teams-played-hard
12-18-2009, 05:07 PM
I realize I bring this up every time movie props are mentioned, so I will again. Movie studios are more shady than sports memorabilia auction houses. Of course they may auction legitimate props for charities but they also give LOAs to complete, utter, bullshit. If you want the real deal in screen worn sports jerseys, make sure it came from Sportsrobe of Culver City at some point.

An old article about movie props:
Trekkie claims auctioned prop was a fake
By DAVID B. CARUSO, Associated Press Writer Fri Dec 28, 7:04 PM ET

NEW YORK - A Trekkie who paid $6,000 for a poker visor that was supposedly worn by the android Data on the television show "Star Trek: The Next Generation" claims in a lawsuit against Christie's auction house that the prop is a fake.

Ted Moustakis, of Towaco, N.J., said he began to doubt the authenticity of the visor and other items he purchased at an auction of CBS Paramount props in 2006, after he brought it to a convention in August to have it autographed by the actor who played Data, Brent Spiner.

According to the lawsuit, Spiner recognized the visor as the one that had been sold by Christie's and told Moustakis that it wasn't the real deal. The actual visor had been sold by the actor himself some time ago.

Moustakis, who became a Star Trek fan at age 7, said he was humiliated. "I thought this was a great piece of memorabilia to have, and I was so proud to get it," he said.

Christie's spokesman Rik Pike stood behind the authenticity of the auction and said the disgruntled buyer's case had no merit.

The lawsuit, filed in state court in Manhattan, demands millions of dollars in punitive damages and a refund for the visor and two other items Moustakis bought at the 2006 auction: a table that was part of a set on "The Next Generation" and a uniform that was in Data's wardrobe.

Moustakis said he paid $6,600 for the table and $11,400 for the uniform. He said that, upon close inspection, the table doesn't look like the ones that appeared the show, and the uniform appeared to be one of several made for the program, not a one-of-a-kind, as Moustakis believed it to be.

"They defrauded collectors, fans, honest people," said Moustakis' lawyer, Richard Borzouye. "It's negligent misrepresentation."

Again, I am not an expert. But, please don't think because a studio wrote an LOA that it means that the item is as described.
Just like sports stuff, do your homework, and don't invest in an LOA that costs 5 and a half cents at Kinko's.

barry-debi
12-19-2009, 01:34 AM
Intreating thread. Any thoughts on authenticity and value? of this St. Louis Cardinals 1948 Pride of St. Louis Jersey. I do have a letter LOA from SCD for whatever that is worth. Possibly Larry Pelliccioni may have an opinion. Many thanks in advance.

both-teams-played-hard
12-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Intreating thread. Any thoughts on authenticity and value? of this St. Louis Cardinals 1948 Pride of St. Louis Jersey. I do have a letter LOA from SCD for whatever that is worth. Possibly Larry Pelliccioni may have an opinion. Many thanks in advance.

Now, that's a great item! The dated studio tag pretty much authenticates itself.
At least a $2,000+ jersey...

Larry Pelliccioni
12-19-2009, 10:30 AM
BTPH made a pretty good assessment in my opinion barry-debi. Items like these are pretty much "in the eye of the beholder." It is not so much of what you want to sell it for as it is what someone is willing to pay you for it. It is a rare item and from photos looks to be the real deal but market conditions, the economy and other forces come into play. The price will only be determined by dialogue between a seller who wants to sell and a buyer who wants to buy.
Larry Pelliccioni

raider1088
12-19-2009, 11:26 AM
i ttok a stab at one of priemier props ebay auctions yesterday.i won an auction for one of the slayers outfits from the movie gamers.it sold for a whole 99 cents + shipping.if it is what it says it is then i got a great deal.

allstarsplus
12-19-2009, 12:43 PM
BTPH made a pretty good assessment in my opinion barry-debi. Items like these are pretty much "in the eye of the beholder." It is not so much of what you want to sell it for as it is what someone is willing to pay you for it. It is a rare item and from photos looks to be the real deal but market conditions, the economy and other forces come into play. The price will only be determined by dialogue between a seller who wants to sell and a buyer who wants to buy.
Larry Pelliccioni

Larry - I would love to get some props from 61* and The Rookie. Let me know if you come across anything cool!

You are the best! See you at the next hockey show!

ironmanfan
12-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Larry - I would love to get some props from 61* and The Rookie. Let me know if you come across anything cool!

You are the best! See you at the next hockey show!

Andrew:

Wasn't there a movie filmed in DC this past summer which involved the Nationals? I wonder if any of that gear will ever surface?

Larry Pelliccioni
12-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Besides a Detroit Tigers batting helmet and the jersey worn by the actor playing Al Kaline, I did land a Washington Senators jersey of the actor portraying Chuck Hinton. As it worked out I was able to get the road jersey of the actor playing Al Kaline and had my source deliver to my older beloved brother out in SoCal at his favorite luncheon spot. It is a great memory in our brotherhood of over 6 decades.
Larry Pelliccioni

allstarsplus
12-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Andrew:

Wasn't there a movie filmed in DC this past summer which involved the Nationals? I wonder if any of that gear will ever surface?

I was actually an extra in the film so can't wait to see the movie and maybe get some props.

Here is the link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1341188/

Comic actors Owen Wilson and Paul Rudd teamed up on the big-screen - to star alongside Reese Witherspoon and Jack Nicholson in an upcoming romantic comedy in James L. Brooks latest movie, tentatively titled How Do You Know? to be released in 2010.

Rudd plays the part of a Washington businessman vying for Witherspoon's affections, while Owen Wilson is a Washington Nationals baseball pitcher out to steal her heart. Expect a cameo of Andrew Lang in some of the Nationals Park scenes! (LOL)

barry-debi
12-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks again BTPH and Larry four your input.

Larry Pelliccioni
12-19-2009, 04:03 PM
You're welcome, that is what this board is intended to do and I enjoy the assisting of others so anytime I can, I promise to try.
And Andrew I cannot wait to see you on the silver screen! Lucky you did not bring Jakob, he would have stolen any scene he was cast in.
See you in DC in March.
Larry Pelliccioni

jtnatalierica
12-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Hi Larry, I was in the movie 61* and am friends with the guy who played Al Kaline. He is a teacher at L'anse Cruese North highschool in Harrison Twp., Michigan. He's also the baseball coach. I was the Tigers 3rd base coach who holds the runner coming to 3rd base, about half way thru the movie. I have some stuff from the movie, some sleeves, 2 fuzzy batting helmets 1 NY and 1 Tigers. The stuff was watched like a hawk and if someone stole a uniform, the guy assigned that jersey had to pay for it. We respected each other so as not to screw anyone out of pay. If you have anything from that movie, I'd be interested. My email is waelchli29808@yahoo.com. I'd like to speak to you about some other jerseys I have, a guard football jersey from the remake Longest Yard, a white jersey with the name Krisor on the back, and the whole Yankee uniform (grey) from the movie Cobb. Please contact when it is convenient. Thanks, Tom W.

Larry Pelliccioni
12-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Hello Tom,
Lanse Creuse North that is very cool for a kid who actually grew up in the Center Line School district.
The one thing I noticed about your friend is that he had Kaline's unmistakable trot as he ran, down pat.
I am in the book in Northville, call me when you want to.
Larry Pelliccioni

turn2
04-25-2010, 02:07 PM
For the Love of the Game
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/turn2mlb/Baseball%20Jerseys/th_DSC00372.jpg (http://s886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/turn2mlb/Baseball%20Jerseys/?action=view&current=DSC00372.jpg)http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/turn2mlb/Baseball%20Jerseys/th_DSC00374.jpg (http://s886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/turn2mlb/Baseball%20Jerseys/?action=view&current=DSC00374.jpg)

Jerrry Maguire
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/turn2mlb/Football%20Jerseys/th_DSC07645.jpg (http://s886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/turn2mlb/Football%20Jerseys/?action=view&current=DSC07645.jpg)http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/turn2mlb/Football%20Jerseys/th_DSC07644.jpg (http://s886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/turn2mlb/Football%20Jerseys/?action=view&current=DSC07644.jpg)

Space Jam
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/turn2mlb/Jordan%20Jerseys/th_DSC09976.jpg (http://s886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/turn2mlb/Jordan%20Jerseys/?action=view&current=DSC09976.jpg)http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/turn2mlb/Jordan%20Jerseys/th_DSC09978.jpg (http://s886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/turn2mlb/Jordan%20Jerseys/?action=view&current=DSC09978.jpg)

steelpenguin
05-22-2010, 12:34 AM
I am sooooo glad that i joined this site. I have enjoyed this thread.

I have some sports movie items and I love the stuff. To me it's unique. I am looking for a few oddball items as well. I need to get in touch with you Larry.

GREAT THREAD!!!

Larry Pelliccioni
01-29-2011, 11:25 AM
I have just acquired an item that is very unique. For the older members of this site who remember the Bowery Boys and previously the "Dead End" Kids, I acquired a Hudson reform school movie worn jersey from the 1939 movie: "Hell's Kitchen".
The jersey is #3 and worn by the actor Leo Gorcey.
The team in the movie was coached by Ronald Reagan.
It is one of my favorite items and ranks right up there with the New York Rangers and Mystery Alaska movie worns.
Larry Pelliccioni

nt_eagle
01-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Road/Away Jersey from the 1991 Pic 'Necessary Roughness', which I was an extra since it was shot in Denton and the University of North Texas Campus. This was Michael Dolan's Jersey and he played Eric 'Samorai' Hansen in the Movie. He was better known for in roles in 'Hamburger Hill' and 'Biloxi Blues'. Unfortunately, I don't have the Jersey anymore.
Erik

both-teams-played-hard
01-29-2011, 07:29 PM
I have just acquired an item that is very unique. For the older members of this site who remember the Bowery Boys and previously the "Dead End" Kids, I acquired a Hudson reform school movie worn jersey from the 1939 movie: "Hell's Kitchen".
The jersey is #3 and worn by the actor Leo Gorcey.
The team in the movie was coached by Ronald Reagan.
It is one of my favorite items and ranks right up there with the New York Rangers and Mystery Alaska movie worns.
Larry Pelliccioni
Sounds like a cool item. What sport? Do you have any photos?

Football jersey from "Father was a Fullback". Jersey was made in April 1949 and the film was shot that spring and released September the same year.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/883/father1.jpg
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7959/father2.jpg
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/8851/father4.jpg

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/6196/father6.jpg

both-teams-played-hard
02-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Navy durene with gold numerals. Made by Western Costume. I think this was made in the 70s or 80s and used for a period piece depicting a 40s or 50s football team. Any help in identifying the production would be appreciated.

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/884/471sp.jpg

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/457/472v.jpg

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/5247/473d.jpg