PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on autographing GU items?

cledawgs
12-21-2009, 06:15 PM
What's your opinions on game used items being autographed?

Would that keep you from buying it?

Or would you have a GU item you presently own autographed if given the chance?

Just wondering what everyone thinks about this....

Thanks

Merry Christmas.

murfsteve25
12-21-2009, 06:20 PM
My preference is to keep the item the way it came off the field. So my goals are always to be unsigned. Sometimes i may cross an item that is already signed, and if it's a piece that i really like then i wont mind the autograph so much.

spartakid
12-21-2009, 06:48 PM
I would have to agree, I almost always prefer the item unsigned, but it all depends on the individual.

jdr3
12-21-2009, 07:46 PM
I prefer non signed. Here is an example of a player butchering his own gamers. Whoever Anthony is, I'm sure he was very disappointed when he saw how these were signed.

spartakid
12-21-2009, 08:33 PM
I prefer non signed. Here is an example of a player butchering his own gamers. Whoever Anthony is, I'm sure he was very disappointed when he saw how these were signed.

Wow, that's just terrible, you know he did it no purpose too......

salukidave
12-22-2009, 02:26 AM
I used to be totally against having GU items autographed, but now I like having bats signed. Yes, you run the risk of receiving a bad autograph, but a bat looks fantastic when signed nicely.

I'm still against having jerseys signed. Autographs often come out poorly on them and even the ones that look nice initially have a good chance to fade or yellow.

MUSEOVEN
12-22-2009, 06:52 AM
:o hello i prefer my game used items signed, because is a better way to know if the item is fine or not.. thanks

Chris78
12-22-2009, 07:48 AM
I prefer to have specialty game used jerseys signed by the player. These would be jerseys that are used one time for a special occasion and sometimes you might actually meet the player.

Bats that were given to me by the player I have gotten signed as well. Some of these bats have no name on them anyway so adding the player's signature would add value, and I have no intent to ever let these go as they have more intrinsic value to me.

Regular bats and jerseys I do not get signed at this point. There have been a few items that I bought with an autograph on the item, but I tend to stay away from an autographed game used item. My feeling could change down the road.

Chris

ironmanfan
12-22-2009, 08:18 AM
I think bats kind of lend themselves to being signed (particularly ash ones)...I'm not so crazy about getting jersey's signed though....

tigerdale
12-22-2009, 08:57 AM
I prefer unsigned if I have my choice, but I don't disliked signed either.
If I get something unsigned, thats how it stays 90% of the time. If the item is a treasure, a historic piece...for sure I'll leave it how it is.

Neely8
12-22-2009, 10:21 AM
I hate signed game worn jerseys and will pass on something I like if it's an auto that can't be removed. I have never and will never understand the desire to get game worn jerseys signed when there is so much other stuff to get autographed. :confused:

dcgreg25
12-22-2009, 10:43 AM
I actually like to have GU items signed. For me, it adds some player provenance to the item and makes the item (to me) more interesting as a discussion piece. I think the majority of collectors prefer their jerseys without autographs but for items staying in my personal collection it is my preference, especially if it is inscribed.

Part of it is the fun of showing the jersey to the player and seeing their reaction and/or a story about the jersey. One of my favorite player reactions include London Fletcher who signed a GU skins captains jersey earlier this year. He was really nice and we talked for ten minutes about the jersey and the game he wore it in.

I was also fortunate enough to get my Sean Taylor GU Miami Hurricanes jersey signed about six months before he passed away...I definitely dont regret getting that one signed. At the end of the day, its personal preference though it seems from previous threads like this one that its about 70-30 in favor of not getting items signed.

legaleagle92481
12-22-2009, 10:46 AM
My preference is to keep the item the way it came off the field. So my goals are always to be unsigned. Sometimes i may cross an item that is already signed, and if it's a piece that i really like then i wont mind the autograph so much.

I am the same way, although I do not mind signed bats so much especially signed in silver they look pretty cool but I would not get one of my unsigned bats signed. Jerseys I bought a Mario Williams and a Michael Young that were already signed and I do not like how they look especially the young sig that did not come out too great in blue sharpie on a white jersey but the items were so hard to find that I bought them anyway.

Neely8
12-22-2009, 11:33 AM
I actually like to have GU items signed. For me, it adds some player provenance to the item and makes the item (to me) more interesting as a discussion piece. I think the majority of collectors prefer their jerseys without autographs but for items staying in my personal collection it is my preference, especially if it is inscribed.

Part of it is the fun of showing the jersey to the player and seeing their reaction and/or a story about the jersey. One of my favorite player reactions include London Fletcher who signed a GU skins captains jersey earlier this year. He was really nice and we talked for ten minutes about the jersey and the game he wore it in.

I was also fortunate enough to get my Sean Taylor GU Miami Hurricanes jersey signed about six months before he passed away...I definitely dont regret getting that one signed. At the end of the day, its personal preference though it seems from previous threads like this one that its about 70-30 in favor of not getting items signed.

I can understand showing a game worn jersey to a player as I have done that too but why would you need to have him sign it? Also, I don't think just because a player adds the inscription "game worn" that makes the item legit. Some of the time they have no clue.

dcgreg25
12-22-2009, 01:39 PM
I can understand showing a game worn jersey to a player as I have done that too but why would you need to have him sign it? Also, I don't think just because a player adds the inscription "game worn" that makes the item legit. Some of the time they have no clue.

I just prefer the look for displaying some jerseys. Just my personal preference having it signed and inscribed. I certainly can see other's side as not getting them autographed seems to be the majority opinion. There are some items that I would not necessarily get signed but for a middle of the road jersey from my favorite player I like the signature and inscription.

I just bought a Jeff Faine GU off of NFL Auctions and a Josh Cribbs GU and both are signed...I dont think they sold for a discount because of the autograph. There is the risk of the autograph fading or blurring and I certainly appreciate that.

Dont get me wrong, an inscription is not the same as provenance as I have seen bad jerseys that were signed and inscribed as authenticity is a seperate issue for me from an inscription.

To each there own, I think this is a valuable discussion and am always interested to hear others viewpoints.

xpress34
12-22-2009, 03:26 PM

I love having my jerseys and hats signed - especially GU items - but, I have never (and will never) ask a Player to inscribe it game worn/used unless I have COA/LOA from the team or MLB Holo. If I have that, when I approach a player to sign an item, I always present the item AND the LOA/COA and ask the player to check the item themselves before signing.

While I agree that some have 'no clue', if done correctly and with the correct provenance, for me it adds great value - both intrinsicly and personally - to have had the player have the item in their hands once again and then verify it for me.

Unfortunately, as with any collectible, there will always be the fringe items that although signed and inscribed have NO provenance - not even a compelling story - behind the item or the auto.

I do however prefer Paint Pen Autos on the Jersey # on the back as opposed to a sharpie auto directly on the material. It is generally sharper and brighter and does not detract from the overall look of the jersey like a signature on the front breast does - or that monstrosity at the start of this thread.

All the best -

Chris

ironmanfan
12-22-2009, 03:33 PM
If all goes well, I'll be sitting down with Cal Ripken tomorrow for him to personally look at two bats I obtained recently to get his thoughts and ask him to sign "game used" IF he feels comfortable in doing so....It is indeed very rare for him to sign "game used" to anything as he is extermely wary of the GU market.

I'll let everyone know how I make out.

mbrieve
12-22-2009, 04:10 PM
I think I am a lot like other people who have already posted. I like the idea of keeping my items in the same condition as they came off the field. Baseball bats are the only exception, but even with bats I don't really care if they are signed or not.

I will never understand people getting jerseys signed. I think it detracts from the overall effect of the jersey and in some way cheapens it. Just my opinion.

mbenga28
12-22-2009, 04:10 PM
I prefer as is, a bad autograph can ruin the aesthetics of a game used piece.

cledawgs
12-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Very educational thread...thanks guys.