PDA

View Full Version : Does the opposing pitcher matter to you from a game used bat?

kylehess10
12-23-2009, 12:12 AM
I'm curious on everyones thoughts on this.

Say you see two game used broken bats from your favorite player. Both are MLB authenticated.

Both show equal use.

One was broken off a rookie pitcher that nobody has heard of.

The other is broken off a star pitcher. Say C.C. Sabathia or Johan Santana.

The bat broken against the star pitcher costs...say $50 more.

Does it matter to you who the pitcher was? Would you stick with the cheaper bat, or buy the more expensive one which came off a star pitcher?

mariner_gamers
12-23-2009, 12:15 AM
Based on your example I would pay the extra $50.

notxpensv4u
12-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Yes, pay the extra $50. Makes you wonder how many no hitter bats broken with MLB holos there are.

ironmanfan
12-23-2009, 12:53 AM
I have a bat used by Cal Ripken Jr. in 1997 that was broke by a Roger Clemens (remember him?) pitch and written so in Cal's own writing on a piece of athletic tape...

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/ebay002-2.jpg

shoremen44
12-23-2009, 07:01 AM
I have a bat used by Cal Ripken Jr. in 1997 that was broke by a Roger Clemens (remember him?) pitch and written so in Cal's own writing on a piece of athletic tape...

Awesome bat

coxfan
12-23-2009, 07:49 AM
For g-u items in general, including balls and bases, I like to get as much info as possible. I use MLB.com gameday and retrosheet.org to give the fuller story of the game situation or at least the game itself if the MLB hologram isn't specific enough to give the actual situation. I'll print out the play-by-play from those sites. Those things add to the enjoyment of the item for me.

Of course I usually have to do this research after I've bought it, if from a team store. However, some stores, if not too busy, will use their Internet to help you get more info before you buy.

WadeInBmore
12-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Kyle...

For me the opposing pitcher doesn't matter. Knowing whoever threw the pitch that resulted in the player breaking the bat is a bonus IMO. I don't think there are any legendary matchups in the baseball world a-la Ali Frazier (arguable is Piazza Clemens :eek: ). Chances are if the bat filled a hole in my collection and I could get it for 50 bucks cheaper I would go for IT.

What's your take? You posed the question but didn't answer it yourself. I know that you like to photomatch...but does it really matter to you. It adds a level of intrigue sure, but is it necessarily significant and does it add that much more value?

wade

allstarsplus
12-23-2009, 09:48 AM
That's the great thing about the MLB system where you can determine for most of the bats and balls now who the pitcher was.

To get a Randy Johnson, John Smoltz, Mariano Rivera and other future HOF pitchers throwing the pitch certainly adds to the collectibility of the item.

Here is an example of John Smoltz cracking Ryan Zimmerman's bat:

allstarsplus
12-23-2009, 09:51 AM
I don't think there are any legendary matchups in the baseball world a-la Ali Frazier (arguable is Piazza Clemens :eek: ).
wade

Wade - Did you see Piazza v Clemens? LOL

legaleagle92481
12-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Well I think it is kind of cool to have a bat broken in a matchup with a great pitcher. I bought a Evan Longoria bat that he used to get an RBI single off of CC Sabathia a few months ago. The seller was Mead Chasky who is Evan's exclusive game used agent and he was offering other bats for sale but I to me it was an easy choice on which to buy. It should be noted however that the bats were all the same price so I do not if many people put a premium on such bats and to be honest I don't know if I would have spent another $50 on it if I could have gotten one used verus a different pitcher cheaper. If I am going to pay a premium it would be for a homer bat.

CampWest
12-23-2009, 10:16 AM
I think it definitely adds to the story, but if both can be traced to a game, I might be more swayed by what the player did with the bat. If one bat came from a game where the hitter went 4 for 5 with a HR and 2 Doubles, that might outweigh a bat broken by Zach Greinke in a hitter 0-3 with 2K and 3 groundouts.

What if I find out the game before the 4 for 5 outing, the hitter faced CC Sabbathia and Mariano Rivera, but the bat survived... hmm intriguing.

So, yeah, if it adds to the story of the piece I take it into consideration, but conversely I wouldn't shy away from a bat broken against John Bale. Though he probably doesnt break many bats. As David Ortiz once told me from the on deck circle, "I DON'T break bats in Kansas City"... And he didnt, which was sad, because I think he would have given it to me if he did.

kylehess10
12-23-2009, 01:51 PM
What's your take? You posed the question but didn't answer it yourself. I know that you like to photomatch...but does it really matter to you. It adds a level of intrigue sure, but is it necessarily significant and does it add that much more value?

wade

ah! Almost forgot! :D

Well I brought up this question because I noticed that I have 2 Rafael Furcal broken bats. 1 was broken off Chuck James and the other off Brandon Webb. I paid about $45 for the one off James and $80 for the one off Webb.

To me, it really doesn't matter who the pitcher was, but rather what type of photomatch it has. For the one hit off Webb, I have 3 photomatched photos of the break as well as the video. For the one off James, I only have the video and a screenshot of the bat while it was stuck in the ground after being broken. So I'd prefer the one broken off Webb than the one off James. Better pitcher, better photomatch.