PDA

View Full Version : RIP George Michael

genius
12-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Was sad to read this, George Michael Sports Machine was true must-see TV back in the day! http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4770549

WadeInBmore
12-24-2009, 01:10 PM
whew...for a second there I thought that we lost one of the genious minds behind Wham! and the hit single Faith (amongst others) :D

wade

otismalibu
12-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Up in Canada, this was the only US sports highlight show I could watch in the 80s. Always looked forward to Sunday night.

http://torturedfanbase.com/george_michael_sports_machine.JPG

tjm5711
12-24-2009, 01:33 PM
I agree ! Years ago, when I didn't have ESPN ! Can't imagine what that would be like now !LOL "George Michael's Sports Machine" was must see TV every Sunday night !

LastingsMilledge85
12-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Wow this scared me as well thinking that Wham's George Michael was the one beig talked about. Thank god, but it still doesn't make it better that Sports Machine's George Michael passed.

capitalssticks
12-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Being a lifelong redskins fan, i grew up on george michael. way ahead of his time, was a real assest to the sports community.

genius
12-24-2009, 02:48 PM
this was the real George Michael! He will be missed!

ironmanfan
12-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Very sad news indeed....I had the privilege of being at the SABR National Convention last summer and watched him do a great interview with both Frank Howard & Rick Dempsey.....About 10 years ago, he called me because he was doing an interview with Cal Ripken Jr. and he wanted me to help him with some questions for Cal (other than the typical ones he had been asked over and over). As a thank you, he sent me a copy of the interview along with a very nice note.

RIP George...

bigtime59
12-25-2009, 08:42 AM
In his waning days on WRC, Michael drove me crazy with his "the only teams worth my time are the Nationals and Yankee$" baseball coverage, but it cannot be denied that for many years his "Redskins Report" was the only thing about that team that was worth watching. He will be missed.
RIP.

allstarsplus
12-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Growing up in Washington, George was the man to watch for sports on the news as he had more allocated time for sports and always had the inside scoop and would always interject the non-mainstream into it===wrestling, rodeo, curling, and drag racing.

He will be missed!

jdr3
12-25-2009, 10:54 AM
My father was the director of alumni at Georgetown when they won the nationals championship in 1984. George Michael called him to say that he wanted to do a tribute to the team on his show but John Thompson would not return his calls, and the he was very frustrated that he wanted to do something nice for the team and he was being ignored. Dad said he was very nice, but disappointed in the treatment he received.