PDA

View Full Version : How do I repair this bat?

flota89
12-27-2009, 01:17 AM
I have no clue how to repair this. Any advice? Thanks!

NEFAN
12-27-2009, 03:00 AM
Looks like a lost cause.

pjbmd
12-27-2009, 08:55 AM
gorilla glue and lots of clamps strategically placed at right angles to the spits to maximize compression

justbaseball
12-27-2009, 09:38 AM
any pieces missing? if you have enoungh trust i'll fix it for you...email...faye1t@gmail.com

Swoboda4
12-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Whats the problem? This appears to be a clean easy repair. I thought I was going to see an explosion of pieces.

1. Home Depot: and buy 3 Irwin clamps(not the small ones) they're yellow and blue in color.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/images/products/300380_l.jpg

2 Home Depot: buy Elmers wood glue.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41g6xoLh2QL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

3. Put the two(?) pieces together, without the glue in a practice run. If all is well, put a small amount of glue along the center of the bigger piece. Emphasis on small amount. When the two pieces are placed together and compressed by the clamps,the glue will move outward ,so don't put too much. If you do(put too much) dont worry,easily cleaned with a damp cloth. Let it dry for 24 hrs.

LWMM
12-28-2009, 02:21 AM
For a bat like this, where the cracked piece is on top of the rest of the bat, should i bend the bat back and push it back together (which I would think could further damage the bat) or chip away the the obtruding piece, knowing that it won't show when i glue it back down?

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/LWMM/Jonny%20Gomes%20Scans/04RawlingsBatcrack.jpg

Swoboda4
12-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Your correct on the latter. I would carefully razor the pertruding inner wood since it wouldn't show. To bend it carefully is interesting if the pieces fall back into place but they seldom do. The only time to bend a bat is the same day it cracks. After that, the bat dries out and bending is extremely dangerous. Especially now in the dry weather.
There was a thread on a bat that looked hopelessly cracked (those always seem to be the ones that are hanging still in one piece). I'm willing to bet that that one was "cleaned" and smoothed out internally and then the only problem left was which piece to push back first.
So yes,your suggestion to smooth out the piece that isn't going to be seen is the best move.
But why repair a bat that was cracked in a major league game,unless it's totally undisplayable?

LWMM
12-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Your correct on the latter. I would carefully razor the pertruding inner wood since it wouldn't show. To bend it carefully is interesting if the pieces fall back into place but they seldom do. The only time to bend a bat is the same day it cracks. After that, the bat dries out and bending is extremely dangerous. Especially now in the dry weather.
There was a thread on a bat that looked hopelessly cracked (those always seem to be the ones that are hanging still in one piece). I'm willing to bet that that one was "cleaned" and smoothed out internally and then the only problem left was which piece to push back first.
So yes,your suggestion to smooth out the piece that isn't going to be seen is the best move.
But why repair a bat that was cracked in a major league game,unless it's totally undisplayable?

Well, this one is actually from a minor league game... Seriously speaking, though, my reasons for wanting to partiallly repair it are that it would look nicer when hanging, and that the wood on this one in particular is pushed up so much that I think that, given time, the stress could damage it further. I have two other bats with obtrusions as well (though much smaller) which I may also similarly fix for cosmetic reasons.

Anyways, thanks for the information!

Birdbats
12-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Whats the problem? This appears to be a clean easy repair. I thought I was going to see an explosion of pieces.

1. Home Depot: and buy 3 Irwin clamps(not the small ones) they're yellow and blue in color.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/images/products/300380_l.jpg

2 Home Depot: buy Elmers wood glue.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41g6xoLh2QL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

3. Put the two(?) pieces together, without the glue in a practice run. If all is well, put a small amount of glue along the center of the bigger piece. Emphasis on small amount. When the two pieces are placed together and compressed by the clamps,the glue will move outward ,so don't put too much. If you do(put too much) dont worry,easily cleaned with a damp cloth. Let it dry for 24 hrs.

I feel this is an oversimplified solution to what is a deceivingly difficult repair. I've fixed a few bats like this and the problem is that it's very hard to make the edges flush with one another. Using just three clamps in the middle would push the wood down in the middle, but flair the edges because the pressure of the flat clamp isn't constant around the circumference of the round bat. As a result, you'd most likely feel the edge of the crack all along the crack line. I made that mistake in the past. You can sand that down on an unfinished bat, but finished bats are another story. Since then, I've learned that in addition to clamps down the middle, you also need clamps all along the edges, especially at each end where the pieces come to a point. If you don't have enough clamps to apply consistent pressure all along the crack line, you'll probably be disappointed with the result.