PDA

View Full Version : how can you tell the difference between game used/game model bat?

yankees24
12-29-2009, 03:54 PM
are there any key differentiations between a game used bat and a game model bat (such as manufacturer's labeling, etc)? thanks.

mattmueller
12-29-2009, 04:46 PM
There is generally no difference between the two, just use characteristics on the bat. Player number, tape job, pine tar, mota stick, ball marks, cleat marks, etc.

As to your Finley jersey request, several at Meigray.

http://www.meigray.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?ctl_nbr=2381&nurl=control%2FSearchStoreItemsShow.vm&eurl=control%2FSearchStoreItemsShow.vm&rurl=control%2FSearchStoreItemsShow.vm&ei_reqIP=76.241.77.175&keys=-101&psz=25&sidx=0&searchType=0&ei_pgparamname=nurl&groupId=-1&sipagename=sisearch&tru_ssl_pg=N&SUBCAMPAIGN_ID=-1&searchText=finley&orderby=si_title&AllowNonSecureAdmin=Y

yankees24
12-29-2009, 07:07 PM
great thanks Matt, if they are the same can't someone just take a game model bat and put some tar, hit some balls and claim it as game used? surely there is some other factor that separates the memorabilia game models from the ones the players use on the field?

earlywynnfan
12-29-2009, 08:54 PM
great thanks Matt, if they are the same can't someone just take a game model bat and put some tar, hit some balls and claim it as game used? surely there is some other factor that separates the memorabilia game models from the ones the players use on the field?

No, there isn't. You've just hit the nail on the head when it comes to collecting bats. Now, I can't order the same model bat Pujols orders, so that's good. (Keep away from underlined "125" and "flame tempered" LV bats, which identify store/show models.) But if I can get an unused Pujols model bat on ebay cheap, I can definitely take it to the cage and whack some balls. I can get my hands on some pine tar, and I can definitely put a 5 on the knob in sharpie. And if I do these well, if I've checked the photos for true Pujols characteristics, I can try to find some sucker and make a cool thou on it.

Stinks, doesn't it??

I have been told by veteran bat guys that two things are hard to fake: a crack and seam dimples, because supposedly a common schmuck like me doesn't have the wrist strength to get around on a fastball well enough to do either. I've never tried; the crack sounds doable to me, but I'm sure I'm not good enough to dimple a bat.

Happy collecting!

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

yankees24
12-29-2009, 09:10 PM
thanks Ken it does, so how in the world would you also differentiate between an unused bat that was issued to a player in the dugout from a game model sold at retail since both are clean?