PDA

View Full Version : Gloves on Ebay - Soriano collectors....

nationals2k9
12-31-2009, 11:54 PM
First of all, I'm not sure if this Ebay seller is a forum member and my intent is to not ruffle any feathers. Just trying to gather some opinions to see if I made the right choice a few weeks back.

A few weeks back I was offered the same Manny g/u glove seen here: http://cgi.ebay.com/MANNY-RAMIREZ-GAME-USED-FIELDING-GLOVE-DODGERS-RED-SOX_W0QQitemZ220533648256QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item3358d46b80#ht_2998wt_941

After a couple days of looking through photos and cards, etc... I could find any close matches and decided to pass. I'd call a Manny g/u #1 of my list of things I'm after but this one didn't match up with anything I could find.

My question now is... does the Soriano glove offered by the same seller appear to be legit to you Soriano folks?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALFONSO-SORIANO-GAME-USED-FIELDING-GLOVE-YANKEES_W0QQitemZ220533647829QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3358d469d5#ht_2651wt_941

I know from experience and past threads that this seller is known for having a huge collection of game issued gloves (and sometimes game used). I basically want to make sure I was right in passing on the Manny glove!!

grenda12
01-01-2010, 04:36 AM
I personally wouldnt buy anything from this guy. All his gloves look way too NEW and I know of several sights where you can have gloves made up. Search his eBay name on the forum, Im sure you'll find something. REMEMBER this is my opinion.

markize
01-01-2010, 09:00 AM
First of all, I'm not sure if this Ebay seller is a forum member and my intent is to not ruffle any feathers. Just trying to gather some opinions to see if I made the right choice a few weeks back.

A few weeks back I was offered the same Manny g/u glove seen here: http://cgi.ebay.com/MANNY-RAMIREZ-GAME-USED-FIELDING-GLOVE-DODGERS-RED-SOX_W0QQitemZ220533648256QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item3358d46b80#ht_2998wt_941

After a couple days of looking through photos and cards, etc... I could find any close matches and decided to pass. I'd call a Manny g/u #1 of my list of things I'm after but this one didn't match up with anything I could find.

My question now is... does the Soriano glove offered by the same seller appear to be legit to you Soriano folks?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALFONSO-SORIANO-GAME-USED-FIELDING-GLOVE-YANKEES_W0QQitemZ220533647829QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3358d469d5#ht_2651wt_941

I know from experience and past threads that this seller is known for having a huge collection of game issued gloves (and sometimes game used). I basically want to make sure I was right in passing on the Manny glove!!

I can't speak for the Manny glove, but this glove is very similar to one I own. There are a few small differences such as the "El Monstruo" on the pinky where mine has A. Soriano. the inside lining on the ebay glove has white "furry" lining on the back of the palm side where mine has black. another difference is mine has gold colored stamping in the palm of the golve (although is is faded from use), and also where it says made in Japan. Other than that, it looks very close. the glove I own is very small as is expected for a 2B glove. its very hard to tell the size of the ebay glove, but looks close. I actually contacted the seller last night for some additional information, but haven't heard from him yet. I will be happy to email you, or post any response. My glove came through Rob Steinmetz, and I am VERY comfortable with that.

As Liz mentioned, there have been questions raised about some of the gloves he has offered in the past, so till I hear from him I will not make any rock soild judgements. Hope this helps.

feel free to contact me direct with any questions.

Mark
sirfuzzy@comcast.net

allstarsplus
01-13-2010, 03:10 PM

I can tell you from experience going back to 2001 with Pujols items that a lot of player equipment (bats, gloves, cleats, etc) is donated by the players back to their countries.

It makes it tough when you see gloves like this that appear to be made for the player that don't match up to photo style matches.

As Michael knows, I got offered that Manny glove from a Dominican contact of mine and thanks to Michael (nationals2k9) I passed on it when we couldn't find any photo evidence to at the least make a style match.

The current seller on eBay paid a lot of money for the glove and probably thinks it was actually used by the player. It could have been but we found no photo evidence to show the player used that style glove.

suicide_squeeze
01-13-2010, 03:31 PM
I can tell you from experience going back to 2001 with Pujols items that a lot of player equipment (bats, gloves, cleats, etc) is donated by the players back to their countries.

It makes it tough when you see gloves like this that appear to be made for the player that don't match up to photo style matches.

As Michael knows, I got offered that Manny glove from a Dominican contact of mine and thanks to Michael (nationals2k9) I passed on it when we couldn't find any photo evidence to at the least make a style match.

The current seller on eBay paid a lot of money for the glove and probably thinks it was actually used by the player. It could have been but we found no photo evidence to show the player used that style glove.

What.....you mean you don't want to take a "gamble" and throw in a typical ebay "best offer" of 29.95 under your other ebay user name "Earl_Scheib"??? C'MON Andrew !!! No GUTS.....no GLORY !!!

One day, months after this auction ends and some other lucky soul takes a shot.....ONE picture might surface showing Manny wearing the glove in a photo op before batting practice, then you'll be left feeling like a loser.

Oh....wait.....I think I read somewhere that they can "photo-shop" those kinds of pictures, and make the game used item match up with the altered picture right in their garage......My bad !!!

Never mind !!! ;)

allstarsplus
01-13-2010, 04:03 PM
"Earl_Scheib"??? C'MON Andrew !!! No GUTS.....no GLORY !!!

My bad !!!

Never mind !!! ;)I don't want my car painted or my wallet cleaned! LOL

frikativ54
01-13-2010, 04:45 PM
What.....you mean you don't want to take a "gamble" and throw in a typical ebay "best offer" of 29.95 under your other ebay user name "Earl_Scheib"??? C'MON Andrew !!! No GUTS.....no GLORY !!!

One day, months after this auction ends and some other lucky soul takes a shot.....ONE picture might surface showing Manny wearing the glove in a photo op before batting practice, then you'll be left feeling like a loser.

Oh....wait.....I think I read somewhere that they can "photo-shop" those kinds of pictures, and make the game used item match up with the altered picture right in their garage......My bad !!!

Never mind !!! ;)

Man, Steve, I thought you were going to stop baiting. Obviously, your last post was a subtle, intertextual shot at STLHAMMER32 and tjm5711's position from the MLB authentication thread. It may go over the moderators' heads, because it is context dependent upon having read the thread about the Palmeiro authentication. If you don't see what I mean, please read the following posts:

STLHAMMER32 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=179511&postcount=28)

tjm5711 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=179514&postcount=29)

suicide_squeeze (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=179522&postcount=31).

How is the following an attempt to do anything other than provoke other forum members, especially tjm5711, who wanted you to leave him alone?

allstarsplus
01-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Man, Steve, I thought you were going to stop baiting. Obviously, your last post was a subtle, intertextual shot at STLHAMMER32 and tjm5711's position from the MLB authentication thread. It may go over the moderators' heads, because it is context dependent upon having read the thread about the Palmeiro authentication. If you don't see what I mean, please read the following posts:

STLHAMMER32 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=179511&postcount=28)

tjm5711 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=179514&postcount=29)

suicide_squeeze (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=179522&postcount=31).

How is the following an attempt to do anything other than provoke other forum members, especially tjm5711, who wanted you to leave him alone?

Les - I thought his humor was directly towards my comments of the risk factors I pointed out on taking a gamble on the other MLB Authentication thread using the $20,000 Sanchez jersey and the $300 authenticated balls as an example.

The underlying humor is correct at the price the gloves are listed at are not worth taking a gamble of a photo showing up in the future.

I didn't think Steve was writing that towards anyone else but me hence my response:

I don't want my car painted or my wallet cleaned! LOL

Let's not derail another thread.

suicide_squeeze
01-13-2010, 05:09 PM

OK, you know what Frik, this is getting rediculous.

You email me privately, are as nice as can be, but every day you publicly post something like THIS nonsense.

It's uncalled-for, unfriendly, unwelcome, and in MY OPINION, you are attacking me and creating an unneccessary strain on my relationship with the mods here. It's like you're trying to draw attention to the old garbage that we have all left behind.........BUT IN DOING SO are creating the exact same scenario.

Please.....knock it off. If I get one more of these types of posts from you, I'm going to report it as harrassment.

This was a humorous post I did, and in NO way meant to be related to ANTHING ELSE. I knew from past conversations that Andrew had turned down that clove from the supposedly "well-connected" Dominican connection. That game use probably came from the kids on the streets of the Republic.....not Manny.

And I also know Andrew is a Soriano collector. So if I want to make a JOKE with my friend, I certainly don't need to worry about YOU editing the meaning, INCORRECTLY, of everything I write......are we cool?

Have a nice day.....and go check your email. While you were bashing me here, again, calling me a "baiter" (YES LES, with NO SEXIST MEANING INVOLVED THERE!!!)....I was busy typing you a VERY nice responce to the email inquiry you asked me about.

Regards,

Steve

allstarsplus
01-13-2010, 05:40 PM
This was a humorous post I did, and in NO way meant to be related to ANTHING ELSE. I knew from past conversations that Andrew had turned down that clove from the supposedly "well-connected" Dominican connection. That game use probably came from the kids on the streets of the Republic.....not Manny.

And I also know Andrew is a Soriano collector. So if I want to make a JOKE with my friend, I certainly don't need to worry about YOU editing the meaning, INCORRECTLY, of everything I write......are we cool?

Regards,

Steve

Steve, it is all cool with me. I had a good afternoon laugh and totally knew you were poking fun at me.

I am not offended at all except I know some may be upset at getting a good thread derailed.

frikativ54
01-13-2010, 05:43 PM
OK, you know what Frik, this is getting rediculous.

You email me privately, are as nice as can be, but every day you publicly post something like THIS nonsense.

Just FYI, the word is "ridiculous".

Every day I publicly post something? What are you talking about? The only thing I posted was when I was concerned about the comments you made about tjm5711's lack of masculinity. I found those to be offensive.

Other than that, I haven't posted anything about you at all, except for disagreeing with you about passion and collecting. That was not a personal attack, just a disagreement. And I have every right to my opinion.

There's a big difference between attacking ideas and attacking a person. I have been careful to not attack you personally, but only to criticize ideas with which I disagree. I am only around to have fun and help collectors.

Please.....knock it off. If I get one more of these types of posts from you, I'm going to report it as harrassment.

Harassment? Are you serious? I don't resort to belittling, name-calling, etc. If anyone is being harassed, it's tjm5711, and I wrote in concerned about him.

I never harass anyone. Just because you don't agree with tjm's opinions in many threads doesn't mean that he is stupid or deserves to be mocked in other threads.

That's all I was saying, and I just meant to stand up for him.

Have a nice day.....and go check your email. While you were bashing me here, again, calling me a "baiter" (YES LES, with NO SEXIST MEANING INVOLVED THERE!!!)....I was busy typing you a VERY nice responce to the email inquiry you asked me about.

Perhaps I will stick to email. Then, I won't be a bother anymore to this forum. I have tried to be constructive and to stand up for people like tjm5711, but in the end, I seem to do more harm than good.

This is my last post on this forum. I'm done. I left the forum in November because of this garbage. Was hoping it would be better this time around, but I guess not. It's too bad, but such is the climate around here.

I have many other interests than just baseball. I will go and pursue those. When you mention the word "bait", there is no sexist connotation. However, as a woman, I find some of your comments to be offensive.

See you later.

-Frik

tjm5711
01-13-2010, 06:08 PM

Every day I publicly post something? What are you talking about? The only thing I posted was when I was concerned about the comments you made about tjm5711's lack of masculinity. I found those to be offensive.

Other than that, I haven't posted anything about you at all, except for disagreeing with you about passion and collecting. That was not a personal attack, just a disagreement. And I have every right to my opinion.

There's a big difference between attacking ideas and attacking a person. I have been careful to not attack you personally, but only to criticize ideas with which I disagree. I am only around to have fun and help collectors.

Harassment? Are you serious? I don't resort to belittling, name-calling, etc. If anyone is being harassed, it's tjm5711, and I wrote in concerned about him.

I never harass anyone. Just because you don't agree with tjm's opinions in many threads doesn't mean that he is stupid or deserves to be mocked in other threads.

Perhaps I will stick to email. Then, I won't be a bother anymore to this forum. I have tried to be constructive and to stand up for people like tjm5711, but in the end, I seem to do more harm than good.

This is my last post on this forum. I'm done. I left the forum in November because of this garbage. Was hoping it would be better this time around, but I guess not. It's too bad, but such is the climate around here.

I have many other interests than just baseball. I will go and pursue those. When you mention the word "bait", there is no sexist connotation. However, as a woman, I find some of your comments to be offensive.

See you later.

-Frik

As much as I would like to play it safe and sit on the sideline and not get in the middle of this, I feel compelled to say something.
Les, I hardly even know you and am extremely grateful for the support you are giving me. I think it would be a true crime for you to let this get to you and abandon this forum.

Instead, I think the best thing to do is here is not feed into any type of counterproductive dialogue. I was guilty of this in the aforementioned threads by you, and have learned that lesson the hard way in my short time so far on this forum. I am not directing that idea in reference to any member in particular for fear it will ignite another negative exchange. But, please do not leave the forum because of this. Thank you again, and I look forward to seeing you on here in the future.

Tom

suicide_squeeze
01-13-2010, 07:17 PM

See you later.

-Frik

http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/102.gif......C'mon Leslie. No one wants you to leave.

There are NO misunderstandings here. Go back and read your post on this thread. You were not sticking up for "tjm5711"...or even STLHAMMER32 for that matter. I mean, do you really think that making a statement like "Who are you to say....." from your other post that was deleted by Chris Cavalier. He apparently didn't read that as "friendly" either. I mean, please.

I am not after anybody for their opinions.

You were making it very clear HERE that you were calling me out.....yet again.

Since when does a guy on the forum need to be supported by another member anyways? I mean, let's leave this alone already. EVERYONE can hold there own.....it's an INTERNET forum.

And further more, if you do leave, who's gonna correct my typo's/misspellings? Don't DO IT, "teach"!!

We really need to all agree to let postings of others be "addressed" by the mods in relation to what relevance they carry as "personal attacks". We've got to STOP the back and forth stuff! I know I was "offended" by tjm5711's repeated crys and claims of his feeling I was attacking him, but I didn't say anthing, contact the mods, or do didley squat. I just let Chris do his thing, and he deleted what he felt was just, made a statement which I certainly read, and all is good. Hell, all I was doing with tjm5711, repeatedly, was offering him some friendly advice on how to approach things here. And based on his last post, it sounds like he's got it 10-fold.

And I guess Mr. Cavalier agreed to the above, because I'm still here.

So let's stick to the post topics. Peace, hugs, and Manny Ramirez game used gloves to all!! http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/31.gif

allstarsplus
01-13-2010, 07:20 PM
I can't speak for the Manny glove, but this glove is very similar to one I own. There are a few small differences such as the "El Monstruo" on the pinky where mine has A. Soriano. the inside lining on the ebay glove has white "furry" lining on the back of the palm side where mine has black. another difference is mine has gold colored stamping in the palm of the golve (although is is faded from use), and also where it says made in Japan. Other than that, it looks very close. the glove I own is very small as is expected for a 2B glove. its very hard to tell the size of the ebay glove, but looks close. I actually contacted the seller last night for some additional information, but haven't heard from him yet. I will be happy to email you, or post any response. My glove came through Rob Steinmetz, and I am VERY comfortable with that.

As Liz mentioned, there have been questions raised about some of the gloves he has offered in the past, so till I hear from him I will not make any rock soild judgements. Hope this helps.

feel free to contact me direct with any questions.

Mark
sirfuzzy@comcast.net

I found this photo from the 2002 All Star game. Can't tell but it looks like he used a different glove for the All Star game.

suicide_squeeze
01-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Man......you see? When you're in a hurry, you just screw up!

I didn't finish a sentence....

"I mean, do you really think that making a statement like "Who are you to say....." from your other post that was deleted by Chris Cavalier.... was in a friendly context?"

Left that last (highlighted) part out, sorry.

suicide_squeeze
01-13-2010, 07:29 PM
I found this photo from the 2002 All Star game. Can't tell but it looks like he used a different glove for the All Star game.

Looks like he maybe had a tough game, too.

allstarsplus
01-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Looks like he maybe had a tough game, too.

Looks like it. What wording do you think it says on the glove? It is blurred.

tjm5711
01-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Man......you see? When you're in a hurry, you just screw up!

I didn't finish a sentence....

"I mean, do you really think that making a statement like "Who are you to say....." from your other post that was deleted by Chris Cavalier.... was in a friendly context?"

Left that last (highlighted) part out, sorry.

Just for the record, nothing you said Steve influenced my last post. Now, can you please end this counterproductive discussion before you cause other members to leave the forum !

suicide_squeeze
01-13-2010, 07:59 PM

I'm fairly certain it says "E-4" :p

On a serious note, could it be "EASTON"? That's a real stretch, as I can't make it out either.

allstarsplus
01-13-2010, 08:37 PM

On a serious note, could it be "EASTON"? That's a real stretch, as I can't make it out either.

LMAO. Yes, E4. Seems he did change gloves in 2004. The stitching looks to be on the wrong location vs the one for sale but it is interesting.

NYCrulesU
01-13-2010, 09:12 PM
I wonder how difficult it would be to buy pro style gloves from Rawlings "custom glove" option on their site then have them embroidered to say whatever you choose, then sell them as game issued and game used.

HMMMMM (sarcasm) Buyer beware.

The writting is all over the wall. Not sure why so many others are afraid to say it. The only way we can protect each other in this hobby is to openly tell the truth and share what we know and also what we believe to be true. If it quacks like a duck, well you all know the saying.

markize
01-13-2010, 10:14 PM

Andrew,

you're right, it's very blurry, but what it does look like is A. Soriano on the pinky rather than "El Monstruo". As you can guess, I poured through every picture I could find as I had definite interest in the glove. I have seen pics of Sori using a Mizuno with "El Monstruo" on the pinky, but they were from 2004-2005. The difference in the ebay glove, and the picture of Sori using a similar glove with the Rangers is the oval stamp with Made in Japan having gold print, and the ebay glove not having it in gold. see pics below.....

my 2002-2003 Sori Yankees glove:

Sori Rangers glove with "El Monstruo":

tjm5711
01-13-2010, 10:19 PM
I wonder how difficult it would be to buy pro style gloves from Rawlings "custom glove" option on their site then have them embroidered to say whatever you choose, then sell them as game issued and game used.

HMMMMM (sarcasm) Buyer beware.

The writting is all over the wall. Not sure why so many others are afraid to say it. The only way we can protect each other in this hobby is to openly tell the truth and share what we know and also what we believe to be true. If it quacks like a duck, well you all know the saying.

You know, I was wondering that same thing. Even with Cleats and batting gloves too ! Good question ! Anybody know the answer ?

markize
01-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Andrew,

by the way, just fowarded you 2 related emails...

Mark

sox83cubs84
01-14-2010, 12:38 PM

Of course, Steve, his gloves now read "E7":p

Dave M.
Chicago area

joelsabi
01-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Of course, Steve, his gloves now read "E7":p

Dave M.
Chicago area

sometime the glove reads "A7" :P and more frequently "PO7" ;)

allstarsplus
01-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Andrew,

you're right, it's very blurry, but what it does look like is A. Soriano on the pinky rather than "El Monstruo". As you can guess, I poured through every picture I could find as I had definite interest in the glove. I have seen pics of Sori using a Mizuno with "El Monstruo" on the pinky, but they were from 2004-2005. The difference in the ebay glove, and the picture of Sori using a similar glove with the Rangers is the oval stamp with Made in Japan having gold print, and the ebay glove not having it in gold. see pics below.....

my 2002-2003 Sori Yankees glove:

Sori Rangers glove with "El Monstruo":

Mark - So the gold stamped Made in Japan on this glove is embossed in the leather with no gold. Good observation!

joelsabi
01-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Heres a photo of a glove with the El Monstruo embossed on the other index finger panel (the top instead of bottom panel). I dont see the gold on the made from japan trademark either

allstarsplus
01-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Heres a photo of a glove with the El Monstruo embossed on the other index finger panel (the top instead of bottom panel). I dont see the gold on the made from japan trademark either

joelsabi - Mark was disproving the sellers statement "You are bidding on a GAME USED GLOVE used by ALFONSO SORIANO WHEN HE PLAYED WITH THE YANKEES!"

Mark's point was it can't be a Yankees glove because the MADE IN JAPAN wasn't embossed in Gold. Could it be a glove from the last few years? Yes since the gold embossing wasn't there.

Now the question is does that Cubs glove match up to this:

My thoughts have been it is a game model glove of Soriano's. Whether he used that or not is in question as it hasn't been fully style matched.

I asked Markize what year Mizuno stopped the gold embossing on the Made in Japan and seeing if he knew that. Mark has been corresponding with Mizuno on this.

allstarsplus
01-14-2010, 01:59 PM
joelsabi - A further point, I believe the glove on eBay is Sori's 2nd baseman's glove while the one you showed I believe is his outfielder's glove.

When Alfonso was in Washington in 2006 he had 2 gloves. One was an infielders and one was an outfielders.

Now Sori played no infield in 2006 and played 1 game at 2nd base in 2007 and 2008 and 3 games in the infield in 2009. Interestingly enough in 2007 and 2009, he had no assists or putouts and had 2 putouts in 2008.

I would doubt you could even see much on a TV review of his infield games in 2007 and 2009 to style match the glove. Since he had 2 putouts in 2008, maybe you could see the glove on TV.

joelsabi
01-14-2010, 02:30 PM
joelsabi - A further point, I believe the glove on eBay is Sori's 2nd baseman's glove while the one you showed I believe is his outfielder's glove.

gotcha. the mzp40 model is an infielders model glove as advertise on glove stores on the internet.

markize
01-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Joel, Andrew,

I have sent another email to Mizuno about when the gold stamping stopped. They told me initially that they stopped stamping in gold because of problems with "flaking and running issues" they no longer stamp in gold.
After they confirm when they stopped using the gold stamp, I will post the response. I have posted pictures of Sori in 2004-2005 with a glove that has the gold stamp, so I can only guess they stopped after that time. I also posted pics of my Sori 2B glove that is the same style as the ebay glove minus the gold stamp, and white outter palm lining (mine is black). I believe it is no doubt a 2B glove, but no way from the Yankees.

Mark

markize
01-14-2010, 02:34 PM
gotcha. the mzp40 model is an infielders model glove as advertise on glove stores on the internet.

Joel,

in addition, Mizuno indicated that there is no difference between a pro players glove, and a glove Gounod I could buy except for the embroidered name. I will post the complete email later tonight.

Mark

markize
01-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Crap, iPhone buttons are too small for my fingers. It should read, there is no difference between a pro glove and one you or I could buy aside from the embroidered name

Mark

joelsabi
01-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Joel, Andrew,

I have sent another email to Mizuno about when the gold stamping stopped. They told me initially that they stopped stamping in gold because of problems with "flaking and running issues" they no longer stamp in gold.
After they confirm when they stopped using the gold stamp, I will post the response. I have posted pictures of Sori in 2004-2005 with a glove that has the gold stamp, so I can only guess they stopped after that time. I also posted pics of my Sori 2B glove that is the same style as the ebay glove minus the gold stamp, and white outter palm lining (mine is black). I believe it is no doubt a 2B glove, but no way from the Yankees.

Mark

just thinking off the top of my head. do you when the sunbird mizuno? is it for different models or for different production year range.

heres a 2001 non sunbird mizuno mzp 40 from another player. Jay Canizaro 2001

this is just on my research and may have no bearing but throwing it out there.

joelsabi
01-14-2010, 02:44 PM
just thinking off the top of my head. do you when the sunbird mizuno? is it for different models or for different production year range.

heres a 2001 non sunbird mizuno mzp 40 from another player. Jay Canizaro 2001

this is just on my research and may have no bearing but throwing it out there.

opps sorry no editting. do you know when the sunbird mizuno logo was used on the front of the fielding glove. i have seen both logos on soriano gloves.

joelsabi
01-14-2010, 02:48 PM
front of glove.

markize
01-14-2010, 02:49 PM
opps sorry no editting. do you know when the sunbird mizuno logo was used on the front of the fielding glove. i have seen both logos on soriano gloves.

Joel,

not sure when the logos changed, but that glove doesn't have the gold stamp so depending on Mizuno's response, I would guess after 2004-2005.

Mark

markize
01-14-2010, 02:51 PM
front of glove.

Joel,

again, with the exception of the gold stamp, my Sori glove has the same 3D logo inside, although it is very faded. I'll try to post picturess later when I get home.

Mark

allstarsplus
01-14-2010, 02:59 PM
This looks like a Wilson glove during Spring Training.

markize
01-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Ok, just heard back from Mizuno. Here's the response:

Hi Mark,

Thank you for contacting Mizuno USA. *We stopped using the gold ink between
the 2003 and 2004 product lines. *There is also a chance that the gold ink
could have worn out on the glove that you are considering buying. *That was
one of the main reasons we stopped doing it. *Let us know if we can help
you further.

Best regards,

Mizuno USA

allstarsplus
01-14-2010, 04:27 PM
*There is also a chance that the gold ink
could have worn out on the glove that you are considering buying.
Best regards,

Mizuno USA

I thought of that possibility and I would think you would have to look at the overall wear/use of the glove for any consistency to all the gold flaking off.

The fact the other gloves still have the gold embossing on there is a fairly good indicator although you can't be 100% certain in any regards if there are no other "year" indicators on the gloves.

joelsabi
01-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Joel,

not sure when the logos changed, but that glove doesn't have the gold stamp so depending on Mizuno's response, I would guess after 2004-2005.

Mark

for future reference, looking at ichro and soriano glove at gettys, the change to sunbird logo was in 2007. i first did ichiro and then tested my hypothesis using sorianos photos. seems to pan out. any one else use mizuno gloves?

joelsabi
01-14-2010, 07:10 PM
for future reference, looking at ichro and soriano glove at gettys, the change to sunbird logo was in 2007. i first did ichiro and then tested my hypothesis using sorianos photos. seems to pan out. any one else use mizuno gloves?

hypothesis stuck down. i just tried chipper jones and todd helton and its not true for them. so its not across the board for all models or jones and helton hold onto old models.

markize
01-16-2010, 06:45 PM
sorry for the delay in getting these posted. below are 2 gloves I own. the first is a Yankees 2B glove from 2002-2003. the second is an OF glove from 2008. both fully gold stamped.

Mark

joelsabi
01-16-2010, 07:19 PM
sorry for the delay in getting these posted. below are 2 gloves I own. the first is a Yankees 2B glove from 2002-2003. the second is an OF glove from 2008. both fully gold stamped.

Mark

so you have one glove with the runbird logo and one without it, correct. pretty sweet