PDA

View Full Version : Ticket stub collectors???

nationals2k9
01-05-2010, 09:23 PM
General questions:

Best places to find ticket stubs for sale?

How to advertise what games I'm after and to whom?

Is this a common thing for player collectors to do?

I just paid only $2.99 for a 9/11/93 stub Indians vs. Red Sox, Manny's first home game RBI ever and just the 4th of his career. Essentially, wondering how I could build around this stub and shoot for others. Seems fun, challenging, inexpensive.

Thanks!

NYCrulesU
01-05-2010, 09:32 PM
I love milestone full, unused, mint cond. tickets from Rafael Palmeiro. I have his 500th hr ticket. I need his 3000th hit ticket (7/15/2005 Bal at Sea). I would love to find his MLB debut ticket (9/8/86 Phil at Chi).

nationals2k9, not looking to hijack and hope you don't mind. I just didn't think my search required a thread of it's own. If you don't mind, maybe we could just have this thread for ticket stub wants?

harpt
01-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Check this guy out

http://www.chicagotix.com/

NYCrulesU
01-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Check this guy out

Known about him for a few years. Extremely overpriced. Nice stubs, just insane prices.

MarinersFan34
01-05-2010, 10:03 PM
I collect them and pick them up when I see them at the games. I try to keep an eye on what's gone on during the game to see if it has any significance but often times I wait and look up the box score later.

I've picked up HR and W tickets for players I like. I finally got tickets from Felix Hernandez first W and his Grand Slam. I still need his debut ticket, 8/4/05 @Tigers.

If it's a Mariners ticket from Safeco Field, there's a good chance I can get at least 1 from the game. Even better if I know in advance it's a noteworthy game, player debut, first hr/w etc.

I have at least 1, maybe 2 stubs from Palmeiro's 3000th hit. I just need to find the ticket stub box(moved last year so things are a little unorganized). I'll send you an email when I find the box :cool:

NYCrulesU
01-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks M'sFan34, look forward to hearing from you.

jobathenut
01-05-2010, 11:17 PM
I have been collecting ticket stubs for years.And have put together a nice collection of especially pittsburgh steelers.Yeah chicagotix are really spendy.And because i have been trying to sell my collection i contacted them.As they said they buy collections.But they were not very easy to deal with.In the way that they didnt want to give fair value for my tickets.I am not calling them out if they are a member on here.I am just saying they really wanted to buy low.And i know the name of the game is buy low and sell high.But they would not budge on thier offer.And i just wanted to get back a little of what i had into the collection.They deal in more high end stubs like super bowls and i had more regular stubs.And i didnt see the sense it like selling them a stub for $40 and then see they have the same one on there site for $225.That was just a made price example to give idea what i was talking about.But it was almost like that.There were several dealers on ebay that i delt with before i stopped going on there.I know there is alderson sports and i beleive they have thier own web site.But again you are going to spend alot for thier high end tickets.There used to be a forum but it didnt get much traffic.And i can not remeber the name of it.Just keep serching and i am sure you will find it.:)
Check this guy out

lehmsbobby
01-06-2010, 01:35 AM
yes i haven't really gotten into this either but was in attendance at Jonathon Sanchez's no hitter and picked up several pristine tickets, which are for sale btw haha

3arod13
01-06-2010, 04:07 AM
I collect them and pick them up when I see them at the games. I try to keep an eye on what's gone on during the game to see if it has any significance but often times I wait and look up the box score later.

I've picked up HR and W tickets for players I like. I finally got tickets from Felix Hernandez first W and his Grand Slam. I still need his debut ticket, 8/4/05 @Tigers.

If it's a Mariners ticket from Safeco Field, there's a good chance I can get at least 1 from the game. Even better if I know in advance it's a noteworthy game, player debut, first hr/w etc.

I have at least 1, maybe 2 stubs from Palmeiro's 3000th hit. I just need to find the ticket stub box(moved last year so things are a little unorganized). I'll send you an email when I find the box :cool:

If you come across a FULL ticket for the game between Detroit at Seattle on 18 April 1996, let me know. Arod's 1st Career Grand Slam.

Regards, Tony

jwasserman
01-06-2010, 06:42 AM
try ebay seller 'buckner'. if i remember correctly, his name is lenny. he has an incredible collection, is very reasonable and will hunt down your wantlist. most of my gooden tickets came from him- debut, 100th win, 1000 k, etc. good guy too

mskwarek
01-06-2010, 07:45 AM
try ebay seller 'buckner'. if i remember correctly, his name is lenny. he has an incredible collection, is very reasonable and will hunt down your wantlist. most of my gooden tickets came from him- debut, 100th win, 1000 k, etc. good guy too

Lenny (aka Buckner) is an awesome guy to deal with. He has helped me on a number of Cubs/Wrigley hard to find tickets and I was amazed at what the bottom line cost was per ticket (ex: "The Sandberg Game" of '84 -> $15).

Mike

russyurk
01-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Known about him for a few years. Extremely overpriced. Nice stubs, just insane prices.

Agreeed! Insane is an understatement. I've seen this guy at the national and he has quality stuff but the prices are C-R-A-Z-Y.

russyurk
01-06-2010, 09:18 AM

Agreeed! Insane is an understatement. I've seen this guy at the national and he has quality stuff but the prices are C-R-A-Z-Y.

thomecollector
01-06-2010, 07:31 PM
I have been collecting Thome stubs for awhile now. As I stated before. I have about 512 out of the 564 HR tix I need. I use a variety of different sources. A big portion of them were obtained
through Lenny . Including #1. I go through ebay daily. As well as
various avenues. I have yet to contact Chicago tix. As I believe them to be a bit expensive. I believe they want a big fee to even
just to look for any tix. Crazy !:rolleyes:

BaseballGM
01-06-2010, 08:02 PM
I love milestone full, unused, mint cond. tickets from Rafael Palmeiro. I have his 500th hr ticket. I need his 3000th hit ticket (7/15/2005 Bal at Sea). I would love to find his MLB debut ticket (9/8/86 Phil at Chi).

nationals2k9, not looking to hijack and hope you don't mind. I just didn't think my search required a thread of it's own. If you don't mind, maybe we could just have this thread for ticket stub wants?

NYC- This would look awesome along with your Palmeiro items. I took the photo and then had Raffy sign it. Later, my uncle from Seattle picked up a full game ticket from 07/15/05 when I asked him to do me a favor.

jwasserman
01-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Dennis Jose is the guy behind Chicago Tix. Also very friendly and helpful. Some of his prices for the major milestone tix are a tad high but bargains can be had. I picked up a Game 6, 1975 WS stub from him for $35.

He does charge a fee for searches for lesser games. HOWEVER, that money is applied to your purchase. I had him do a search for me and he came up empty. 6 months later he called to remind me I had a $50 credit still with him. Definitely an honest guy who knows his stuff.

For a while, he was also the grader behind PSA's ticket encapulation. I don't know if he's still doing it.

You really can't go wrong by going with Lenny or Dennis.

NYCrulesU
01-06-2010, 08:40 PM
BaseballGM, please email me with asking price. Thanks.

LWMM
01-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Where is a good place to look for ordinary ticket stubs? I'd like to start buying those from games Jonny Gomes had home runs in (along with those from a couple other significant games), but it's not as if that's a major selling point for people listing tickets.

thomecollector
01-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Ebay is where I find a bunch of tix.

LWMM
01-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Ebay is where I find a bunch of tix.

What's a good way to search, though? Considering there are most of the 30 teams involved across 76 different days (for home runs alone), searching could get really, really tedious.

wiggi034
01-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm a big ticket stub collector. You can check out my collection here:

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz265/wiggi034/

I collect unused All Star, World Series clincher, and milestone game tickets. I like to get most of my tickets signed by the games' MVPs or the player who performed the milestone.

I started my collection after I attended Eric Milton's no hitter in 1999. I get most of my tickets on eBay. I have dealt with Dennis Jose at Chicago tix. He's a nice guy, though, his prices are really high. He paid me good value for a few of my tickets, but I get the sense that he doesn't pay much for lower end stuff.

I would recommend Al at www.gradedtickets.com. He has a nice website and some tough tickets. Don't be scared off by the high prices. He doesn't charge any more than Chicago tix and he has a much better stock. Also, you can email him if you're looking for tickets not on his website as he has a good deal of ungraded stuff at reasonable, though not super cheap, prices.

If you're looking to buy on eBay, search the Ticket Stubs sub category of Vintage Sport Memorabilia.

For those of you starting collections, I would recommend paying the premium for unused tickets and to avoid spending to much on contemporary tickets (i.e. tickets that were made after scanners).

If any of you see stubs in my collection you would like to trade for or have stubs for trade that you think might fit into my collection, feel free to email me at wiggi034 at umn.edu.

Hope this helps a few of you.

jays78
01-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Really when you think about stubs at the the outset, you'd think they should be very easy to find: 15,000 to 50,000 people in a stadium for that game.

However, when you break it down to say a random 10 person grouping, how may would actually be kept?

* perhaps 1-2 out of 10 would keep them as a keepsake, but normally only if they only go to a few games per year or it's their first game etc, even that figure might be high?

* that leaves lets say 8 stubs that the remaining people have, I'd say at least half of those just get dropped or folded/stuffed into a pocket or thrown away while at the game

* that leaves us with 4 stubs that may be in decent shape that would somehow make it out into the market, if the average person thought they might be wanted by anyone..... really though more than likely it would be about 1-2 of those four, as the others would be forgotten about

* so basically there may be 10-20% that survive and would become available at some point

What do you guys think? Maybe I'm overestimating how many actually would survive...... maybe less that 10%??

kudu
02-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Is this considered a full ticket?

joelsabi
02-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Where is a good place to look for ordinary ticket stubs? I'd like to start buying those from games Jonny Gomes had home runs in (along with those from a couple other significant games), but it's not as if that's a major selling point for people listing tickets.

I'd email this seller. He has many rays tickets so he is a season ticket holder or knows one. Ask him if he has tickets for whatever dates you want.

http://shop.ebay.com/whos_your_vladdy/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

ironmanfan
02-17-2010, 07:51 AM
it still has the perforation and both sides mention the same seat and same date. yes.

the left side still has the perforation from where the larger part was ripped from...how can this be considered a Full ticket? I agree that it's a full ticket "stub" (perhaps thats what you meant)

joelsabi
02-17-2010, 10:02 AM
the left side still has the perforation from where the larger part was ripped from...how can this be considered a Full ticket? I agree that it's a full ticket "stub" (perhaps thats what you meant)

yes a full ticket stub. nothing is torn on the stub.
photos can clarify. enclosed are photos of full ticket and a ticket stub (not full ticket stub).

joelsabi
02-17-2010, 10:28 AM
So what is the proper terminology if the ticket taker hands back both parts of the full ticket by accident? What is the left side (in blue)and the right side (in green) called? which side is more collectible should a person put this on ebay separately?

kudu
02-17-2010, 08:25 PM
So the ticket is a "full ticket stub"??

cigarman44
02-17-2010, 09:17 PM
I collect stubs from every Carl Edwards Sprint Cup win. I have 7 of 16. Once I complete a year, I plan on having them framed with a pic from that season.

joelsabi
02-17-2010, 09:58 PM
So the ticket is a "full ticket stub"??

Yes. As ironmanfan mentioned there is perforation on the left end of the ticket so it in not a full ticket. The stub is not torn so its a full ticket stub. Some seller will list it as a ticket stub. I posted photos of full ticket and a torn ticket stub for visual clarification. A full ticket would not have any perforation on the entire perimeter of the ticket. A torn ticket stub will be listed as a ticket stub.

MarinersFan34
02-17-2010, 11:20 PM
I think one would need to know how tickets from the team are issued during that particular year. Were those a booklet of season tickets that you tear out your game ticket and go to the game, or was there really more to it on the left hand side?

One side says Admission Coupon, the other says Seat Coupon. I would think that's a full ticket, but if it's not, then was does the missing piece say?

joelsabi
02-18-2010, 10:28 AM
I think one would need to know how tickets from the team are issued during that particular year. Were those a booklet of season tickets that you tear out your game ticket and go to the game, or was there really more to it on the left hand side?

One side says Admission Coupon, the other says Seat Coupon. I would think that's a full ticket, but if it's not, then was does the missing piece say?

Good point. So I looked up Shea tickets on Ebay and looked for 1960's ticket there. Seem like every stadium has their own format. Even WS ticket from 1969 were shaped differntly than the ticket we were searching. So this is what I found and you all can come to you own conclusion. By the way, ticket booklets are rare, so I got lucky again. Another mystery solved. ;)

kudu
02-18-2010, 08:00 PM
WOW! Thank you Jeremy for the heads up on the season ticket booklet and Thank you Joel for finding those pics. Just curious, does anyone know what an "EMERGENCY" ticket was used for?

woody1351
02-18-2010, 10:27 PM
i just keep tickets to games/races ive been to. i would like to buy a ticket from the first daytona 500 but i dont think i could afford one. my fav ticket is from jeff gordons win at the first brickyard. the ticket taker didnt rip my ticket so i have the full ticket and got him to sign it.

LWMM
02-19-2010, 12:25 AM
WOW! Thank you Jeremy for the heads up on the season ticket booklet and Thank you Joel for finding those pics. Just curious, does anyone know what an "EMERGENCY" ticket was used for?

I would imagine that they would be for make-up games, after rainouts and the like. By assigning "E1", "E2" and so on, the team could just say "game xx will be made up on this day, season ticket holders bring your E2 ticket for admission".

scootmagroot
02-19-2010, 12:25 AM
Didnt know if I should post this here...but whatever...

I got this uncut sheet of tickets to the 98 world series a few months ago, and have been waiting to have Tony Gwynn sign it....finally got him on it tonight

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii75/ScootMagroot/P2180612.jpg

Mannywood3
12-13-2011, 10:00 AM
I know someone hasn't posted on this thread in almost 2 years but i recently got some ticketstubs like craig gentry's first home run which was a inside the park homer and elvis andrus 1st homer of the season and more also if any has some uncut sheets of playoff tickets or all star game tickets please email me at brownturd3@yahoo.com

3arod13
12-13-2011, 04:49 PM
If you come across a FULL ticket for the game between Detroit at Seattle on 18 April 1996, let me know. Arod's 1st Career Grand Slam.

Regards, Tony

Found a ticket stub, but not a full ticket. Let me know if anyone comes across one! Thanks!

3arod13
12-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Also have Arod's 1st Career HR and 1st Career RBI Ticket (signed) stubs.