PDA

View Full Version : Mariners Jersey Question

WadeInBmore
01-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Was just sent these pics...apparently someone wants to move a Griffey Jr gamer, i don't know anything about Mariner jersey tagging and wanted to know what I should be looking for. These are the pictures that were provided. The tagging looks correct for the 96-99 time period, size 48 would be believable, but I would be curious what other tagging should be present...strip tagging, 0062 inner tag etc. What does the board think?

It looks crisp and doesn't appear to have the usual tags that I would want to see. Not saying it isn't real...just the pics leave a little left to be desired thats all.

wade

mariner_gamers
01-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Here are just my opinions if I were looking to purchase this piece.

1st I do not see a year tag sewn beneath the size tag on the front.

Second Jr usually had alterations for his jerseys so those tags would be present as well.

Third finding signed Jr jerseys in general used or other is tough from this era. In order to crank out larger quantities of NON-USED jerseys Jr would sign numbers and then jerseys would be made from the numbers. Jerseys signed off the numbers are out there but much more difficult to find.

Fourth-There is something in the sig that bothers me besides being on the jersey itself. I dont know when exactly Jr stopped the underline but it was in the mid 1990's. It is also one of the most forged for some reason? I have a few Griffs with the underline and they do not quite match this example. With sigs take what anyone says with a grain of salt including me. I have 35+ Jr.'s all from Mill Creek Sports but those were obtained under optimal conditions.

Lastly the sources a gamer would come from in 96-98 would have used a blue sharpie on the jersey or paint pen on the numbers since black yellows. I can't tell in the pic if it is blue or black? Does it come with a Unique Sports/Mill Creek/Coast to Coast cert??? Also I would expect a game used notation with Griff's sig if it came from any of the 3 sources I mentioned above.

Just my $1.50

geoff
01-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I have Pics of this Jersey as well And I contacted The Owner And He kept changing his Story on this Jersey about how much he spent on it.But He did tell me he knows this is Game Used by Griffey.Something just did not sit right with me on The Jersey so I told him no Thanks.He kept on emailing me after And trying to Sell it to me.So I made A low Offer after he said he needed Money.He did not like my Offer And named A Price to me And I said no again.He was still emailing me lowering The Price.I took A pass on this Jersey.I do not think it was Game Used by Griffey.But who knows it could be.I wouldf like to hear some more thoughts.

geof631@yahoo.com

Thanks
Geoff

flaco1801
01-06-2010, 06:26 PM
i wouldnt go near it

sox83cubs84
01-06-2010, 09:55 PM
A size 48 with no 100% Polyester or Intera flag tag has a good chance of being a retail jersey, as 48 was a size available at retail outlets, as opposed to a 46 + 2", which was The Kid's most common Seattle uniform size. I wonder if the jersey's collar retail tag might have been yanked out to help "legitimatize' it?:rolleyes:

Dave M.
Chicago area

WadeInBmore
01-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Dave...

Howard made the same comment to me. I was able to see the jersey today in person and saw no remains of the tag in the collar area, and I looked for a sign that it might have been removed and restitched on the backside of the jersey...there was one potential trouble spot but nothing that really jumped out at me. He also had a Mondesi 'gamer' for sale, but I could see the remains of the tag in the collar. The Mondesi was absolutely destroyed with use use and stained up mighty nice as well. The Griffey showed staining and discoloration at the edges.

I passed on both jerseys. Due to the lack of tagging and the red flags that I felt and everyone else felt as well. In any case, if they are fake...I really think that they were sold to him as game used, and he was merely taken advantage of as an uneducated buyer at the time.

Thanks to everyone that responded on the site and via email. Geoff I sent you an email. I'm gonna be sending the dude an email about this site so that he can be better educated for the future...and perhaps sell an autographed jersey or two (if he wants/tries to).

wade

geoff
01-07-2010, 01:50 AM
Wade sent you A email back.

justinwc80
01-07-2010, 03:31 PM
If anyone has a legit gamer of his I'd be interested.

WadeInBmore
01-07-2010, 04:00 PM
If anyone has a legit gamer of his I'd be interested.

Justin...

Hey brotha, since I started this post I was offered a very nice 2006 Reds black pre-game, excellent use, all tagging and is available for $595 from Howard Wolf. It is out of my price range and am passing on it. Go get it!!! Howards email is: hblakewolf@comcast.net

Good Luck and happy collecting.

wade

justinwc80
01-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks Wade but I do have a bp jersey of his looking for a gamer. Appreciate the help.