PDA

View Full Version : 100k and one bad camera phone pic....

STLHAMMER32
01-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Here is an auction for a game used 69 Dick Allen Phillies flannel...it's listed at 100k and in the listing he says to "break the bank, sell your collection for this one".....but then he lists one poor long distance photo of the jersey taken by a camera phone it looks like. LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-DICK-ALLEN-Phillies-GAME-USED-Home-FLANNEL-JERSEY_W0QQitemZ190362164465QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c52781cf1

scrinjun
01-07-2010, 11:05 AM
But its FREE SHIPPING!!! What are you waiting for???:D

STLHAMMER32
01-07-2010, 12:24 PM
guess the free shipping does make up for the poor pic :rolleyes: ! Very strange auction listing....

tcfor3
01-09-2010, 12:06 AM
This is the second time he has listed this jersey.

The first time he listed it, the buy it now price was $75,000.00.

Now, after noone paid that amount, he relists it at nearly $25,000 more.

Does he just enjoy paying high listing fees to ebay for an item that will not sell?

metsbats
01-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Guys,

I have a question about Dick Allen and his game used memorabilia.

Why is his stuff very expensive? I'm not talking outragously crazy asking prices like this jersey. But in general there seems to be a premium for
Allen's stuff.

Thanks

STLHAMMER32
01-09-2010, 06:15 AM
Guys,

I have a question about Dick Allen and his game used memorabilia.

Why is his stuff very expensive? I'm not talking outragously crazy asking prices like this jersey. But in general there seems to be a premium for
Allen's stuff.

Thanks

The guy is pretty popular among collectors, many people argue he should be considered for the Hall. He has some really good numbers (former Rookie of the year and MVP....The bombs he used to hit I'm sure his the reason people are drawn to him. In general HR hitters (especially guys who hit really really long HR's that people talk about and remember from their childhood). When you add the fact that his items are vintage and fairly scarce I think that is the reason for the premium.

xpress34
01-09-2010, 07:53 AM
The guy is pretty popular among collectors, many people argue he should be considered for the Hall. He has some really good numbers (former Rookie of the year and MVP....The bombs he used to hit I'm sure his the reason people are drawn to him. In general HR hitters (especially guys who hit really really long HR's that people talk about and remember from their childhood). When you add the fact that his items are vintage and fairly scarce I think that is the reason for the premium.

I've read the same thing, but as I understand it, he was awful with the press and the fans alike and that is what kept the writers from voting him in and possibly left a bad taste with the Veteran's Committee as well.

I have a 1970 NL All Star Team ball - missing two players... Hoyt Wilhelm (deceased) and Dick Alen. I've been told the chances of getting Allen to sign it are slim to none.

That said, he was one of the most feared hitters in the game during his playing time.

RJB44
01-09-2010, 11:15 AM
I agree with metsbats, I can't understand why his stuff is so expensive. There are many comparable players, some who are actually in the HOF, and don't command anywhere near what Allen's stuff does. What does the seller use as a basis for establishing his price? What other Dick Allen jerseys have sold near that price?

karamaxjoe
01-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Dick Allen has a nice little cult following, especially from his days with the White Sox. He's generally credited with saving the franchise after some horrible seasons and a threat of moving. All the Sox fans who saw him play will tell you he had some mythic strong man aura about him although he did quit on the team in 1975.

I've seen his Sox jerseys sell between 3 and 5K and his later jerseys for less. The guy selling his 69 Phillie jersey is obviously trying hook someone into paying way above the value. I'd guess that Phillie jersey would sell for 6 or 7K in a real auction and maybe less due to today's economy.

I'd love to have one of his Sox jerseys if anyone is willing to sell.

metsbats
01-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Here's Dick Allen's lifetime career stats

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=110157

Not too shabby.

I think karamaxjoe and xpress34 's explanations say it all.

Allen's cult like following and the scarcity of Allen's memorabilia due to the era in which he played has certainly added a premium to the prices.

MikeM
01-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Here is an auction for a game used 69 Dick Allen Phillies flannel...it's listed at 100k and in the listing he says to "break the bank, sell your collection for this one".....but then he lists one poor long distance photo of the jersey taken by a camera phone it looks like. LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-DICK-ALLEN-Phillies-GAME-USED-Home-FLANNEL-JERSEY_W0QQitemZ190362164465QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c52781cf1

Darn, looks like my offer was not accepted. :D

STLHAMMER32
01-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Darn, looks like my offer was not accepted. :D

If an item is priced normally I hate seeing lowball offers like a $1 pop up..but given that this was absurdly priced and terribly displayed as well invites all kinds of these offers :)

xpress34
01-11-2010, 04:35 AM
Kind of ironic given I've been following this thread... I won this item on eBay today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370306913104&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Larry Doby signed form letter on MLB letterhead to 'Former Players'. Includes Doby's Card and the envelope... the envelope is addressed to:

Dick Allen.

Just thought I'd share... not trying to jack this thread.

- Chris

STLHAMMER32
01-11-2010, 04:49 AM
Kind of ironic given I've been following this thread... I won this item on eBay today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370306913104&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Larry Doby signed form letter on MLB letterhead to 'Former Players'. Includes Doby's Card and the envelope... the envelope is addressed to:

Dick Allen.

Just thought I'd share... not trying to jack this thread.

- Chris

Nice, thats a pretty unique find!