PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Lewis NFL Auctions Jersey

dcgreg25
01-07-2010, 03:14 PM
I was browsing the latest jerseys added to the NFL Auctions and noticed the home brown Jamal Lewis GU Cleveland Browns jersey with pink captain's patch that just went up for auction. Unless I am missing something, the Browns only wore their brown home jersey once where the captains had the pink patches and that was during the October 4th game vs. Cincinnati. Unfortunately, Lewis was inactive for that game due to injury.

I looked at the later games in the month including October 11th vs. Buffalo (white jerseys) October 18th vs. Pittsburgh (white jerseys), and October 25th vs. Green Bay (brown patch). In searching Getty, there were no images of Lewis wearing a brown jersey with a pink captains patch during the season. Unless the jersey was used earlier in the season, and the patch was added, the jersey was likely game issued.

I have emailed NFL auctions as I would imagine this was an oversight given the volume of jerseys they are selling but wanted to mention this on the forum in case any members were looking at the jersey. I will post what I hear back.

ivo610
01-07-2010, 03:53 PM
I saw that it had little to no wear but didnt think anything of it because of the low quality in pictures.

tjm5711
01-07-2010, 04:07 PM
They had a Brackett Colts jersey about a month ago that was the same. Pink "C" patch and it said Game Used. The listing didn't specify which game. Brackett was inactive for two games in October, which probably accounted for the low selling price($500). Which was the only reason it caught my eye being exclusively a Chicago Bears collector. They are not putting the "game-issued" title on these. Like you said, probably just an oversight.

legaleagle92481
01-07-2010, 04:34 PM
I was browsing the latest jerseys added to the NFL Auctions and noticed the home brown Jamal Lewis GU Cleveland Browns jersey with pink captain's patch that just went up for auction. Unless I am missing something, the Browns only wore their brown home jersey once where the captains had the pink patches and that was during the October 4th game vs. Cincinnati. Unfortunately, Lewis was inactive for that game due to injury.

I looked at the later games in the month including October 11th vs. Buffalo (white jerseys) October 18th vs. Pittsburgh (white jerseys), and October 25th vs. Green Bay (brown patch). In searching Getty, there were no images of Lewis wearing a brown jersey with a pink captains patch during the season. Unless the jersey was used earlier in the season, and the patch was added, the jersey was likely game issued.

I have emailed NFL auctions as I would imagine this was an oversight given the volume of jerseys they are selling but wanted to mention this on the forum in case any members were looking at the jersey. I will post what I hear back.
Thanks so much for posting this I was going to bid on it actually you saved me some money. Although the pics are not always accurate my Williams' jerseys had tremendous wear and the pics did not reflect that and I recall jhunt saying the same thing in another thread about his Jake Long jersey. But jamal has been out for awhile and I searched back also after seeing this post and you appear to be right. Usually they label them as issued as they did with the Giants jerseys and a Joey Porter. However, here is my thought could he have not played but been active for the game in case of an emergency? Or had he been declared out for the year at that point already? The reason I say this is because if someone wore the jersey but did not play they still consider it game used as was the case with the Erik Ainge Jets jersey they had on there.

dcgreg25
01-07-2010, 04:49 PM
However, here is my thought could he have not played but been active for the game in case of an emergency? Or had he been declared out for the year at that point already? The reason I say this is because if someone wore the jersey but did not play they still consider it game used as was the case with the Erik Ainge Jets jersey they had on there.

Happy to help out- thats what the board is all about. I was pretty disappointed as I regreted not bidding more on the other Lewis jersey that sold.

I did check on the inactive question and according to this link on nfl.com Lewis was one of the players the Browns listed as inactive before the game.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/10/04/lewis-will-be-inactive-for-browns/

scottanservitz
01-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Great post dcgreg! I too was interested and wondered why it was relatively low in the bidding. This answers alot.

dcgreg25
01-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Happy to help out guys.

Below is the response from nflauctions I received this morning. It appears to confirm that the jersey is just GI. I may still bid as it is a nice jersey just at a lot lower price.

Sent: Friday, January 08, 2010 9:58 AM
To: Greg Guy
Subject: RE: Jamal Lewis Jersey

It was probably just game issued not worn…

beavisrules
01-08-2010, 01:03 PM

That was a very weak answer by them. A better answer would be, "thank you for calling this to our attention. We will immediately change the listing of the item to reflect this information, and notify all bidders such that they can retract their bids if they desire. In appreciation for your help, here is a $50 credit for your next purchase." But of course, not the nature of this business unfortunately.
Nice job alerting everyone, Greg.

-Mike

tjm5711
01-08-2010, 01:28 PM
That was a very weak answer by them. A better answer would be, "thank you for calling this to our attention. We will immediately change the listing of the item to reflect this information, and notify all bidders such that they can retract their bids if they desire. In appreciation for your help, here is a $50 credit for your next purchase." But of course, not the nature of this business unfortunately.
Nice job alerting everyone, Greg.

-Mike

I'd seriously doubt a $50 credit is realistic. LOL In my dealings with NFL Auctions, I have had similar incidents. My biggest problem(besides the crazy prices things go for) with NFL Auctions is those 1 sentence(Sometimes a 4 word phrase) descriptions of items. They give you no details, and sometimes not at all. For the high prices these things go for, I WANT MORE ! Is it to much to ask for, to get the game a jersey/cleats came from ? WE ARE COLLECTORS, little details matter. And if I'm dropping a couple grand on a jersey.(Which is a lot of coin for me, unlike a couple of the millionaires on here who get on me and others for bitching about high prices.) As a collector I need to know more about the item.

Uh-Oh there I go bitching about prices again ! The millionaires will be ripping me a part soon ! LOL Or maybe We should all just fork over thousands of dollars for items worth a couple hundred described with a 4 word phrase and two crappy photos !

tjm5711
01-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Happy to help out guys.

Below is the response from nflauctions I received this morning. It appears to confirm that the jersey is just GI. I may still bid as it is a nice jersey just at a lot lower price.

Sent: Friday, January 08, 2010 9:58 AM
To: Greg Guy
Subject: RE: Jamal Lewis Jersey

That puts you at a disadvantage though ! Because other bidders are going to be raising the price because they think it's game used. I doubt it will go for a lower price the way some of the idiots on there bid on game used jerseys. LOL The way to have it would be to have them make the mistake of listing it as "Game-Issued" and have it actually be "Game-Used". Instead it's the reverse which will cause an inflated price. This is the byproduct of NFL Auctions' lack of effort in describing things. The poor Chump that wins it, and pays too much for it, and later finds out it's "Game-issued" is screwed. Because,"SORRY NFL AUCTIONS GIVES NO REFUNDS." It's a joke, and another reason we all need to be careful with our money. Unless of course you are one of our select members of the "Billionaire Boys Club." LOL

tcfor3
01-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Cleveland only wore the pink captain's patches on the Brown-colored jerseys for the home game versus Cincinnati on 10/4/2009.

Four players who were designated as captains, and were active for that game, had the pink patches on their jerseys.

They were D'Qwell Jackson, Eric Barton, Joe Thomas and Josh Cribbs.

Cleveland's running backs for that game were Jerome Harrison, Chris Jennings and Lawrence Vickers.

legaleagle92481
01-09-2010, 01:10 AM
It is honestly fraud knowingly selling something other than what it is described as. And here it matters alot how they describe items as we all know a game issued jersey is worth much less than a game used one. It is great that they are helping charity but they should not do so at the expense of their customers. Part of buying from them at the inflated prices should be that you have piece of mind and if you have to spend time checking up on every jersey that sort of defeats that.

tjm5711
01-09-2010, 01:19 AM
It is honestly fraud knowingly selling something other than what it is described as. And here it matters alot how they describe items as we all know a game issued jersey is worth much less than a game used one. It is great that they are helping charity but they should not do so at the expense of their customers. Part of buying from them at the inflated prices should be that you have piece of mind and if you have to spend time checking up on every jersey that sort of defeats that.

Very well said, I agree with you 150 percent !

tcfor3
01-09-2010, 01:45 AM
Just some additional info.

Jamal Lewis was active for three (3) Browns home games when Cleveland wore Brown-colored jerseys in 2009.

They were versus Minnesota (9/13), Green Bay (10/25) and Baltimore (11/16).

He was inactive with a hamstring injury for the game at Baltimore (9/27) and the home game with the Bengals (10/4).

This jersey may have been worn against the Vikings and then had the pink captain's patch sewn on in anticipation of him playing against the Bengals on 10/4 which was Cleveland's next home game after the home opener with Minnesota (9/13).

Better pictures would be needed to see how much wear the jersey has and if there are any marks or tears that can be photo-matched to the Vikings game.

Cleveland did wear Brown-colored jerseys for the two preseason home games in 2009, but I don't believe they had anyone wear a captain's patch on their jerseys for those games.

dcgreg25
01-09-2010, 12:23 PM
[quote=tcfor3;179182]
This jersey may have been worn against the Vikings and then had the pink captain's patch sewn on in anticipation of him playing against the Bengals on 10/4 which was Cleveland's next home game after the home opener with Minnesota (9/13).
quote]

Its possible but I think that the pink captains patch jerseys were new jerseys that were issued to players and used only in these games. I checked the stitching on the back of the pink patch on my Josh Cribbs jersey and there is no evidence of another patch having been present or removed on the jersey. Based on the NFL auctions response and the lack of any evidence of wear in the (limited) pics, I would not buy it as anything other than GI.

dcgreg25
01-09-2010, 12:27 PM

Better pictures would be needed to see how much wear the jersey has and if there are any marks or tears that can be photo-matched to the Vikings game.

Let's try this again as there was a problem with the quote in my earlier reply....

Its possible but I think that the pink captains patch jerseys were new jerseys that were issued to players and used only in these games. I checked the stitching on the back of the pink patch on my Josh Cribbs jersey and there is no evidence of another patch having been present or removed on the jersey. Based on the NFL auctions response and the lack of any evidence of wear in the (limited) pics, I would not buy it as anything other than GI.

dcgreg25
01-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Well, it closed at $585.00 which is about $400 less than the GU white version sold for in a previous auction. i guess this goes on the list of NFL auctions jerseys we will have to keep an eye out for when/if they cycle back through ebay or the auction houses.

paradoxx80
01-19-2010, 02:53 PM
They had a Brackett Colts jersey about a month ago that was the same. Pink "C" patch and it said Game Used. The listing didn't specify which game. Brackett was inactive for two games in October, which probably accounted for the low selling price($500). Which was the only reason it caught my eye being exclusively a Chicago Bears collector. They are not putting the "game-issued" title on these. Like you said, probably just an oversight.

I noticed this too and also emailed regarding this issue. They simply reiterated that the "Blue" home jersey was game used, although Brackett was not active. I believe it was a home match against Seattle in which they wore the pink patches.

It makes me want to check everything on NFL auctions from now on.

Fortuantely, his other pink patch jersey was game used and was "grass"ed up from the action. Glad I got that one instead!

ivo610
01-19-2010, 05:01 PM
With all the cops on here couldnt someone maybe send them a letter about them committing fraud? I am appalled by some of the business practices of the NFL in the name of charity. But more than likely its just one lazy employee that is giving them a bad name.