PDA

View Full Version : John Elway Jersey...Real or Retail?

hockeytigers
01-08-2010, 01:28 AM
I am trying to help out a buddy...is this a game jersey or a retail version? Thanks Everyone!!

JasonBanz
01-08-2010, 08:30 AM
It could be game used or could be issued. The name on the name plate looks sewn on. I believe retail jerseys would have screened on names. It would have to be from 1990 or earlier due to the lack of NFL shield. I'm nowhere close to being an expert on the Wilson jerseys though. Attached is a pic with the Wilson logo. What's the Wilson experts think?

TriplexXxSports
01-08-2010, 09:20 AM
This is an early 90's model. The broncos used Rawlings in the '80's and the NFL shield was introduced in '92(?).

The '44' font seems to be bigger than the other tags that I have seen so I am guessing a retail authentic.

Here is a tag from '92, but it gives you and idea of the correct font size.

sox83cubs84
01-08-2010, 02:37 PM
This is an early 90's model. The broncos used Rawlings in the '80's and the NFL shield was introduced in '92(?).

The neck shield first appeared in 1991.

Dave M.
Chicago area

hockeytigers
01-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Yes, the name is sewn on the back nameplate. The numbers are screened. Any Broncos experts out there?

TOYOTATruck07
01-08-2010, 10:12 PM
The DX found on the tagging refers to a manufacture date of October 1991. The "D" is the year 1991 and the "X" is October. The most knowledgeable person to contact regarding this jersey would be Patrick of Endzone Sports Charities. He is a member here as well.

Neely8
01-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Hockeytigers,
Can you email me at njvette1@aol.com? I have a question for you. John.

EndzoneSports
02-19-2010, 06:57 AM
In response to a recenly received e-mail, I have provided the following:

If I were to make a guess (and it's only a guess, without a first-hand inspection), at first blush, I would say that this is most likely a jersey intended for retail sale. A couple of things point me in this direction...

The Broncos began using Wilson jerseys in 1989, having switched from longtime supplier Russell Athletic who provided jerseys to the team since the early 1970s (with a short break from 1978-'81 when Wilson was also used). As pointed out by ToyotaTruck07, the manufacturer's "DX" date coding is indicative of a manufacture date of Oct 1991. As such, if game worn, it would have been late in the '91 season or after. The first hint would be the absence of the NFL shield patch, which would normally be located on the front of the jersey just below the collar's neckband (in '92 and thereafter, the patch would be affixed on the neckband). The second item is the atypical nameplate font. Through photo research, the squared-top "A" has been identifed as having only been worn in a very few games by Elway whereas the more angular, pointed-top "A" would be much more commonplace for jerseys which have seen game wear.