PDA

View Full Version : caring for game used bats

mbenga28
01-08-2010, 11:32 AM
what are some good ways to preserve a bat, protecting it from molding, deteriorating? also what temperature humidity is best to store them in?

rj_lucas
01-08-2010, 05:24 PM
I would be interested to hear people's opinions on this as well.

A related question, should a V or H shaped crack be left alone or should it be repaired? If not repaired, will it lead to warping or other damage in years to come?

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

indyred
01-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Keep them in dry place and out direct sunlight and you will fine. You see bats 80-100 years old on display and they look great. They are not cigars and need to be in humidor or something crazy like that. Just common sense.

spartakid
01-08-2010, 10:24 PM
I don't like to repair any of my bats. I put them in the UV tubes and have them on horizontal racks on the wall.

Manram
01-09-2010, 12:49 AM
I don't like to repair any of my bats. I put them in the UV tubes and have them on horizontal racks on the wall.

I do the exact same thing. I think they look greta this way.

10thMan
01-09-2010, 01:03 AM
With Varying Humidity, some Cracks will get worse. I`ve had Bats repaired so they dont split any further. I actually marked the Cracks on one Sam Bat (with Pencil) & watched it continue to Split, over months of course.

As far as just Storing them, personally, I dont leave much in plain view, but that`s just me. I know guys that HATE Bat Tubes with a Passion, I use them, specially for Shipping.

Sean

costas
01-09-2010, 11:46 AM
That's interesting that the bat continued to split, why do you think that was happening? Did you handle the bat at all during the time it was splitting further?

10thMan
01-10-2010, 02:59 AM
Didn`t need to handle the Bat for it to get worse, just had a "fractured" Maple Bat & had a hunch it was getting worse. I made small pencil marks along the Cracks & sure enough, it kept going. Not a lot mind you, but it did.

Higher Humidity near the Beach & VERY low Humidity with "Santa Ana" Conditions, such as we get here in So-Cal.

Sean

AWA85
02-14-2011, 06:36 AM
I THINK..... I am about to make the switch from bat tubes leaning on the walls to wooden wall mount racks that let the bat hang horizantal.

Similiar to where the thread was going earlier, is there anything else I need to worry about. I keep sunlight out, and temperatures are no issue, but is there any other issues to consider allowing them to hang and be openly exposed? Will autographs be fine over time on bats?

Players slam them, write on them, get them dirty and break them and now I want to make sure open air does not do any more damage :cool: