PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose Jersey

yankees159
01-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi All:

Any Phillies experts care to chime in this Rose jersey:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=290389391337&Category=60597&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

Thanks!

33bird
01-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Email Howard Wolfe. He'll let you know. Also, that's a WAY expensive jersey in my opinion. My 77 Rose was a couple K less and much harder to find than his Phil's jerseys.

Neal
01-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Email Howard Wolfe. He'll let you know. Also, that's a WAY expensive jersey in my opinion. My 77 Rose was a couple K less and much harder to find than his Phil's jerseys.

I am brand new to these boards, and Howard already seems like a solid "go to guy"

I am in the market for a Rose or Schmidt jersey, so I am interested in the responses.

tacprc
01-08-2010, 06:12 PM
This jersey appears to have little or no use.

In my opinion a Pete Rose 1979 Phillies home jersey with light to moderate use should sell for between 3 and 4 thousand dollars.

Neal
01-08-2010, 06:21 PM
here is a question from a newbie ... how can you tell that there is light use or none at all?

Thanks

RJB44
01-08-2010, 06:44 PM
I see that Blue Chip Sports has a 1981 Phillies autographed Rose powder blue gamer on their site listed at $3,995. No photo, and from what others have stated on the forum, thier list and prices are generally outdated. May be worth trying to reach them though.

platinum1
01-08-2010, 07:06 PM
here is a question from a newbie ... how can you tell that there is light use or none at all?

Thanks
The inside collar looks to clean and white.

33bird
01-08-2010, 08:06 PM
I agree. On my 77 Rose-in the neck collar area-it's kind of a yellowish dirty area. I guess from all the sweat, dirt, etc.

sox83cubs84
01-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Hi All:

Any Phillies experts care to chime in this Rose jersey:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=290389391337&Category=60597&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

Thanks!

The tags look normal, but I can't tell from the photo if the plaket lining is cloth or satin. If I recall right (and maybe he can confirm this with me off-Forum), Howard stated on here many months ago that the satin plaket lining is the norm for Wilson Phillies knits, and a cloth lining should raise some eyebrows. If Howard gets in touch with me, I'll relay my information to the Forum.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Neal
01-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Makes sense :)

Is Blue Chip Sports reputable? I called the number on the website, but wasn't sure if it was the right one.

33bird
01-08-2010, 08:29 PM
I called Blue Chip Sports about the 3 Rose jerseys they had listed on their site-the Reds were the ones I was interested in-but they told me they weren't sure that any of them were real. This was a year or two ago. What info they gave me about the Phillies one, I emailed to Howard, and he advised me to stay away. I can't remember the specifics. Just my 2 cents.

Neal
01-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks Greg. When it comes to cards, I know what I am doing. Game used jerseys, not so much ....

flaco1801
01-08-2010, 09:16 PM
dave im sure the powder blues had to have the satin lining not sure of the others....

sox83cubs84
01-08-2010, 11:08 PM
dave im sure the powder blues had to have the satin lining not sure of the others....

I was premature in my call on the lining...Howard corrected me and pointed out the lining wasn't an issue for 1979 home jerseys. He's checking on the type of material the team used for the P in 1979 and 1980, as he has exemplars that indicate a difference in the fabric used. The piece is looking better...I'm awaiting his comments on the jersey in regards to the above.

Dave M.
Chicago area

suicide_squeeze
01-09-2010, 12:23 PM
I was premature in my call on the lining...Howard corrected me and pointed out the lining wasn't an issue for 1979 home jerseys. He's checking on the type of material the team used for the P in 1979 and 1980, as he has exemplars that indicate a difference in the fabric used. The piece is looking better...I'm awaiting his comments on the jersey in regards to the above.

Dave M.
Chicago area

The tagging, the correctness of material, etc., are all important.

But personally, I wouldn't touch this jersey with a 10-foot pole.

On the front of the jersey, the verticle portion of the "4" is in question. The portion that is below the horizontal crossing is visually wider (extends to the right) than the portion that continues straight up above the horizontal crossing. This can be verified by the photo the seller ironically includes showing the stitching on the inside of the jersey. Not a characteristic of properly issued gamers. This thickness should remain constant throughout the number.

So what is this jersey? I don't know. It may have proper tagging that was added from another "lesser player" with proper stitching, etc., on a professional jersey which now appears to be represented as a Rose gamer by the addition of the number 14, and the NOB. But adding up all of the weaker points, like the lack of visable game use..... and that poorly cut "4".....too many serious issues IMO.

I would ONLY consider interest in a questionable troubled piece like this if one were able to "photomatch" the pinstripes to a picture of Rose wearing this jersey, and verifying the "4" in fact had a wider portion underneath the crossing. And again, personally, I wouldn't waste the effort looking for one, because it is my belief that one does not exist.