PDA

View Full Version : Hornsby Color

harpt
01-08-2010, 11:21 PM
When Greg was discussing one of his new pickups (Ken Griffey bat) he referred to it as "Hornsby colored." I had not heard this before...always saw those bats described as "Hickory finish." Anyway...I love it, but am also curious as to the story behind it.

Was it something that Rogers Hornsby requested at some point? I feel like a rookie asking the question, but I sure love that there is always more cool stuff to learn. Thanks for bringing it to my attention Greg.

bronx_burner
01-08-2010, 11:29 PM
There's a good rundown by Mike Specht here:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.net/blog/post.php?topic=187

justinwc80
01-09-2010, 10:14 PM
I became aware of the Hornsby finish when I purchased my 79 Pete Rose bat. Dave Grob wrote an article about it on Mears. I am out of town but can send you the pic he showed comparing.

harpt
01-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks for both comments guys.

What I am really wondering about is the story behind why it becomes know as such. Did Hornsby request the color for some reason? Was he the most notable person to use it so they ultimately named it after him? etc

Birdbats
01-09-2010, 11:10 PM
The 2004 Cardinals yearbook, which focused on Cardinals bats, talks about the Hornsby model bat on p. 22-23. At the end of the article, it says, "The chestnut brown color of the bat known as the 'Hornsby finish,' which the Rajah preferred, is still used today."

For the record the (Harry) Walker finish and the (Andy) Van Slyke finish also are named after Cardinals players. But the Smith finish has nothing to do with Ozzie.

grenda12
01-09-2010, 11:47 PM
The Vince Malta book tells of Hornsby color being a dark almost black/brown and was named for Rogers Hornsby.