PDA

View Full Version : My Gu Questions With New York Jets James Dearth

VERIS#60
01-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Last Monday night i won the Jets #85 James Dearth throwback jersey from NFL auctions. I received it on Friday and called James' brother Tim to tell him about it. I have been lifelong friends with Tim in Chillicothe, Ohio. A lot of James family on the Dearth side still live here. I stopped by his house and showed him the jersey. We live about 90 miles away from Cincinnati. I asked Tim if he was going to the game and he told me he was'nt. When I got home my phone rang and he said James had just texted him and he had two tickets. so, of course we went to the game and watched the Jets with their great defense and top rated long snapper, James Dearth, win their playoff game. We met James after the game and here are some of the questions I had for him.

Do you collect any of your items? Yes, I have a few jerseys and some helmets.

Speaking of helmets is it true the Jets let players buy their helmets? Yes, they give us first option on most of all our game used items.

How much are the helmets? The helmets are $100. (Sorry, I got excited and forgot to ask about the jersey price.) Rookie mistake.

How many helmets do you wear a year? I have worn this current helmet for two years because I am funny about the feel of my items. I get my helmet reconditioned each year and if it passes I wear it the next year too. I also am the same way about my cleats. I wear them the whole season. The Jets almost beg me to wear new items for every game and I don't like to do that. I wear my shoes until they fall of of me and they stink real bad.

I just won your throwback jersey from NFL auctions. Do you know where your throwback helmet is? Yes, i got it from the team.

Have you heard of GUU or JO Sports? No, who are they?

What do you think of the Jets organization? They treat us so well. They give us new equipment and want us to look nice on the field. They are not tight with their money and always take care of us like we are family.

I had many other off topic questions for James that he gladly answered. James is a christian athlete and simply put, was one of the most humbled and nicest people I have ever met. What a true paragon to represent The NFL and the New York Jets. James Dearth is a sweetheart of a man and I wish him and the Jets the best of luck throughout the playoffs!

JasonBanz
01-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Awesome conversation! Glad you shared that with us. I was able to ask Todd Wade a few game used questions on facebook chat a few months back :cool:

nyjetsfan14
01-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Great stuff. I bid on, and obviously lost, the Dearth to you. Dearth has long been a fav Jets player of mine. Congrats on a cool jersey and thanks for sharing the story. Happy collecting to all and GO JETS!

VERIS#60
01-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the nice responses from jasonBanz and nyjetsfan14! Every team handles their game used items a little bit different. I would love to see a book written on each major sport and all the habits of all the teams handling of game used items. Who were the equipment managers of various time periods and where all of the items went. I know a lot of items are documented with their provenance, but still interesting how and where it got to the collectors hands. I have heard the Kraft family has many of the old logo items under lock and key. I have also heard the same on the Steelers. The history of game used items in general is quite interesting to say the least. Myself, I only collect items from the athletes from my hometown of Chillicothe, Ohio. Those players are Neil Johnston(NBA HOF), Elbie Nickel(Steelers), John Herrnstein(Phillies), Greg Cook(Bengals), Dave Juenger(Bears), Garin Veris(Pats 49ers), Scott Bailes(baseball), Ben Hartsock(Jets, others) and James Dearth(Jets). It is easy to say I have an extreme pasion for my players! Thanks so much and happy collecting!