PDA

View Full Version : Pujols on Vintage

allstarsplus
06-21-2006, 11:43 AM
SCD gave it A5.

What do you think? I see a ton of pine tar which isn't typical for a Pujols gamer.

http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog2660/folder24559/img2526897.jpg

Birdbats
06-21-2006, 02:34 PM
You're right -- the tar is too heavy. Even more imporantly, Albert insists he's never used Mizuno in a regular season game. A5 is about three grades too generous for this bat.

Jeff
http://www.birdbats.com

Steve Jensen
06-21-2006, 02:51 PM
This is the description of the Pujols bat as it appears in our catalog and on our website:

Blonde Mizuno Pro N201 pro model bat used by 2005 NL MVP Albert Pujols circa 2002-04. This pro model bat exhibits medium overall use that cannot be positively verified to major league game use. It was most likely tested out by Pujols during batting practice or spring training. It measures 34" and 30.3 oz with a slight crack and ball and cleat marks visible across the barrel and heavy pine tar covering most of the handle.

I think this is a very accurate assessment of the bat in question.

Best Regards,
Steve Jensen
www.vintageauthentics.com (http://www.vintageauthentics.com)
866-304-3090

allstarsplus
06-21-2006, 03:50 PM
Steve - Your description is fair, but the title "Lot 126: Albert Pujols 2002-04 Game Used Pro Model Mizuno Bat" may be misleading. These Mizunos were in large numbers on eBay in 2002 to 2003 and like Jeff posted that Albert claims he never used a Mizuno in a game. Nobody has ever come up with photo evidence of him using a Mizuno. Problem is that he doesn't even slap on pine tar like that in BP that any of us can recall from a picture.

There recently was a Rawlings bat from eBay that hit the Forum and the pine tar patterns weren't even that heavy.

Nothing is ever certain. With an opening bid of $250 + 17.5% buyers fee, someone is going to pay over $300 with shipping which is pricey for this type of bat in my opinion.

Your Pujols blonde Louisville looks like a nice bat and should do well!

Andrew

trsent
06-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Steve - Your description is fair, but the title "Lot 126: Albert Pujols 2002-04 Game Used Pro Model Mizuno Bat" may be misleading. These Mizunos were in large numbers on eBay in 2002 to 2003 and like Jeff posted that Albert claims he never used a Mizuno in a game. Nobody has ever come up with photo evidence of him using a Mizuno. Problem is that he doesn't even slap on pine tar like that in BP that any of us can recall from a picture.

There recently was a Rawlings bat from eBay that hit the Forum and the pine tar patterns weren't even that heavy.

Nothing is ever certain. With an opening bid of $250 + 17.5% buyers fee, someone is going to pay over $300 with shipping which is pricey for this type of bat in my opinion.

Your Pujols blonde Louisville looks like a nice bat and should do well!

Andrew

Andrew, you cannot complain to the auction house for setting an opening price (and their buyer's premium) as that just isn't a reason to complain about an item. It is their item, their auction so they can set whatever opening bid they want (and buyer's premium) and if the prices are too high, the public won't bid.

allstarsplus
06-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Andrew, you cannot complain to the auction house for setting an opening price (and their buyer's premium) as that just isn't a reason to complain about an item. It is their item, their auction so they can set whatever opening bid they want (and buyer's premium) and if the prices are too high, the public won't bid.

I think it will sell well above that amount given the demand for anything Pujols. My point and quote was:

pricey for this type of bat in my opinion

It is their conscience, and the auction house and consignor can do whatever they want to. I like their auctions and have consigned and bid in the past and wanted to bring this to Steve's attention.