PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos G/U SB XXIV Jersey

NYRangers
01-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Some months back I picked up an orange Michael Brooks Broncos jersey from an ebay seller who also had two throwback Brooks jerseys from his NY Giants days. The mostly mesh Broncos jersey has Wilson tagging with a coded manufacture date of 1989. The wear is light but it has a torn neck and few other small dings. I've been hoping to match this jersey, particularly to the 1990 Super Bowl, but it is tough with light wear on a dark jersey and limited photo resources. First, I found some pics that seemed to show Brooks wearing a new jersey with a torn neck in SB XXIV. Today, I spent some time with a DVD of the game (not an easy game to relive as a Broncos fan but I persevered with the knowledge that my Jets are playing in SD tomorrow!). From the DVD, I saw that Brooks did indeed have a new jersey while many of his teammates wore heavily used jerseys (while most were the same Wilson mesh, some appeared to wear solid knit-type jerseys). In player introductions, you can clearly see a cut opening in the neck. As the game went on, I caught glimpses of the neck as the tear in the neck got larger. In the second half, Brooks is shown on the sidelines nursing a sore wrist and a contact mark on one of the sleeve numbers matches up exactly with one on my jersey.
My research shall continue (please let me know if you have any other pics of Brooks from the game) but I am feeling good that I have an actual jersey worn in SB XXIV. Sure, Elway's Denver lost to Montana and Rice's Niners (55-10!) in that game 20 years ago this month but this jersey did get to the Big Show!

NYRangers
01-16-2010, 11:08 PM
a little closer-up