PDA

View Full Version : SCP Reggie Jackson 1977 Yankee Jersey

karamaxjoe
01-17-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm curious to hear what any knowledgeable Yankee fans have to say about this jersey.

SCP is offering a 1977 home Reggie Jackson Yankee jersey (lot 548) in their auction which starts on Wednesday. I'm not a Yankee collector, but I feel I've seen enough Wilson Yankee jerseys to form an opinion.

The first issue I have is the tail tagging which I believe belongs in the collar along with the chain stitched name. Also the font of the tagging looks way off. The second issue is the font on "Jackson" in the collar which doesn't appear to be consistent with other period Yankee jerseys. The third issue I have is the font of the number on back. After doing some research, both 4's are a little different than the norm. The Wilson tag is also from 1978 which I guess is not a big deal since we've seen some carry over from time to time.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong with any of these issues and I'll be glad to eat my words. I feel I've seen this jersey before and it's already been picked apart.

I emailed SCP for more clarification yesterday and await their response

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/e56fca78#/e56fca78/146

sox83cubs84
01-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Joe:

I'm curious to see this piece as well, as I respect your opinion, but I can't for the life of me get the link to work.:mad: If you can, send me some scans, as I'd likely believe you did catch some flaws...Just want to see if we both see the same issues.

Dave Miedema
sox83cubs84@hotmail.com

bronx_burner
01-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Here's a screen capture from that catalog. I agree on the year/set location which is usually in the neck with the name from that period. In addition to the the Jackson font looking wrong its also ridiculousy small. And the number font definitely looks off as well.

sox83cubs84
01-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Here's a screen capture from that catalog. I agree on the year/set location which is usually in the neck with the name from that period. In addition to the the Jackson font looking wrong its also ridiculousy small. And the number font definitely looks off as well.

Thanks, bb. Gotta agree with Joe. The Wilson tag is the proper one, but that's the only thing the jersey has right. The NY almost looks hand-cut,the 44. as you both pointed out, is off, and both strip tags carry a print font that is leaps and bounds different than what Wilson used in '77.

I'm surprised Lampson didn't do a letter on it.;)

Dave M.
Chicago area

suicide_squeeze
01-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Wow...

This jersey is really bad. I mean....it isn't even a good attempt.

My guess is that it will be pulled.

karamaxjoe
01-26-2010, 09:56 PM
I spoke with SCP yesterday and they have pulled the jersey. It still shows up in the search engine, but you can no longer click into the auction.