PDA

View Full Version : Sanchez $20,000 jersey buyer is looking smarter by the week...

suicide_squeeze
01-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Don't look now, but Mark Sanchez is one game away from the Super Bowl.

I'd say his overpriced 1st ever worn Jets jersey just jumped in value about $5,000 with todays Chargers shellacking.

Next up, he gets a solid chance to become the next New York sports "Legend" as he faces the one and only Peyton Manning & co.

If.....he gets past that one and gets to the Super Bowl, win or lose, the jersey was a nice pick up even at $20,000.

IF Sanchez WINS the Super Bowl, maybe not so much of a stretch at this point the way that defense is playing, the happy owner of that jersey essentially walks away with a bargain.

Can't wait until next weekend to see how he handles this kind of pressure at such a young age. I think it's safe to say Pete Carroll was wrong about his readyness for the NFL.

34swtns
01-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Sure, it's a nice pick-up if he wins the Super Bowl.

But 20K? Still way too steep.

Manram
01-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Sure, it's a nice pick-up if he wins the Super Bowl.

But 20K? Still way too steep.

I agree. That is still to much money

allstarsplus
01-17-2010, 11:25 PM

I'd say his overpriced 1st ever worn Jets jersey just jumped in value about $5,000 with todays Chargers shellacking.

Next up, he gets a solid chance to become the next New York sports "Legend" as he faces the one and only Peyton Manning & co.

If.....he gets past that one and gets to the Super Bowl, win or lose, the jersey was a nice pick up even at $20,000.

IF Sanchez WINS the Super Bowl, maybe not so much of a stretch at this point the way that defense is playing, the happy owner of that jersey essentially walks away with a bargain.

Can't wait until next weekend to see how he handles this kind of pressure at such a young age. I think it's safe to say Pete Carroll was wrong about his readyness for the NFL.

If I was offered that jersey today, I would think $7,500 as everyone is pumped up about the Jets.

If the Jets lose next week, it is probably a $5,000 jersey.

Again, congrats to the people that sold it. They did real well.

whatupyos
01-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Who cares? Let someone pay that much for a jersey. Auctions are like that, prices usually go way more than what arm chair quarterbacks think it should....why judge? Maybe someone in Sanchez family bought the jersey and he's going to reimburse them for it? If it were me, I'd want my first ever worn jersey and I'd bid whatever it took to get it. I'm sure you all have paid way more for something than others would. It might be ridiculous to some, but its not your money so get over yourself. 30mil is too much for some to pay for a ball player but ARod makes it. Get on with life, there is way more important things to get your panties in a bunch over.

hiflyer56
01-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Were still talking about this... LOL!

iceman13
01-17-2010, 11:35 PM

You are out of your mind. I don't care if the Jets beat the crap out of the Colts and win the Super Bowl, it isnt close to being worth $20,000.

1. Sanchez has had little to do with the Jets' success in the playoffs. It is their DEFENSIVE play and running game that has taken them this far (along with opposing kickers missing key field goals!). In reality, they got to the playoffs despite Sanchez, not because of Sanchez. It also helped to play two preseason games at the end of their schedule (Colts and Bengals played second teamers).

2. You'd be hard pressed in this economy to get $10K-$15K for a really nice photomatched Joe Montana, John Elway, or Dan Marino. Unlike Sanchez, those guys are all in the NFL HOF. Those guys are all greats of the game. Those guys all played for 15 years+. $20K for a rookie who played a very mediocre season is ridiculous.

allstarsplus
01-17-2010, 11:48 PM
2. You'd be hard pressed in this economy to get $10K-$15K for a really nice photomatched Joe Montana, John Elway, or Dan Marino. Unlike Sanchez, those guys are all in the NFL HOF. Those guys are all greats of the game. Those guys all played for 15 years+. $20K for a rookie who played a very mediocre season is ridiculous.

Good points!

STLHAMMER32
01-17-2010, 11:53 PM
This was his first game jersey correct? If thats the case who knows what it could be worth, especially down the road. If it were just a regular game worn jersey I would agree it's a crazy price...but this is a one of a kind that really has no price to compare. Nobody really knows right now what its potential worth is. There can never be another first.

suicide_squeeze
01-18-2010, 12:28 AM
You are out of your mind. I don't care if the Jets beat the crap out of the Colts and win the Super Bowl, it isnt close to being worth $20,000.

1. Sanchez has had little to do with the Jets' success in the playoffs. It is their DEFENSIVE play and running game that has taken them this far (along with opposing kickers missing key field goals!). In reality, they got to the playoffs despite Sanchez, not because of Sanchez. It also helped to play two preseason games at the end of their schedule (Colts and Bengals played second teamers).

Nah....not out of my mind. You're absolutely right. ;)

All of you are.

I've been poking fun at this whole situation just because it gets the football guys dander up.....kind of like cat-nip makes a feline crazy. But to be honest, that's the fun part of collecting. You just never know when a certain piece may get a collector all worked up. The next thing you know, it sells for a rediculous amount.

Aaron, I totally agree with you too. Maybe it was Mark's father who purchased the jersey? That makes more sense than any other theory I can think of. If he can afford to send his kid to school at USC, then dropping 20K on his first ever pro jersey probably doesn't even put a dent in the family bank account. Even if Mark had a full scholarship, I'm sure his family would want that jersey more than anyone else, but who knows.

Andrew, $7,500 even seems high to me, because I just have to tell you....I don't see any chance in hell the Jets win the Super Bowl. Manning will have a lot to say about that next week, I'm sure.

But that's why I collect baseball. There is more history to it, and a much larger following.

legaleagle92481
01-18-2010, 01:13 AM
A few points on this.

1. Quarterbacks are defined by wins and losses in the playoffs more than any other position in sports. Guys like Aikman, Bradshaw, Griese and Namath made their legends based on what they did in the playoffs and are considered immortals despite not having out of this world overall career regular season numbers. On the Cowboys Aikman had Emmitt, Irvin and later Deion and Griese had Cszonka and Morris and the no name defense, Bradshaw had Harris and probably the best defense ever assembled. So Sanchez would not be the first QB to have his reputation benefit by having outstanding teammates. And if he wins the Super Bowl he will have done something NO QB has ever done, which is extremely impressive no matter what his numbers are.

2. Rookie QBs especially 22 year old ones struggle like heck except for Big Ben, Marino, Flacco and Matt Ryan I do not recall one not struggling ending up with putrid stats look up Aikman, Elway and Eli and Peyton Manning's rookie stats.

3. The Sanchez jersey may have been purchased by a relative of Marks, someone connected with USC or a die hard deep pocketed Jets fan who may have no intention of ever selling it and since he will only have one first jersey was willing to pay whatever for it because if he passed it up he would never have another shot at it.

4. The economy is irrelevant when you are dealing with high end jerseys. These are luxury items and people who are out of work or facing foreclosure are not prime candidates to have access to 20k to spend on a jersey in the first place. Those who bought stocks in March 2009 at the lowest level they have been in years only to watch them skyrockt over the next 10 months are suffering anything but a recession.

tjm5711
01-18-2010, 02:18 AM

All, I have to say is you are sooooooo right !

mbenga28
01-18-2010, 06:52 AM
Shonn Greene's rookie jerseys should be more coveted than Sanchez'.

TriplexXxSports
01-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Here's a whack idea that I had yesterday while I was watching the Jets Chargers game. Now, to us collectors around here $20K seems astronomical to pay for a jersey, let alone one of a rookie. That much as been decided between these 2 Sanchez threads.

Did anyone see the folks who were down on the Jets sideline during the game yesterday? I happened to see Adam Sandler.

Seeing as though he has worn a Jets shirt in 99% of his movies, and even owns the team in 'Mr. Deed's', this leads me to believe he must be a Jets fan..no?

What is 20K to this guy? 5 minutes on the set? Who's to say that a normal collector, such as ourselves bought that Sanchez? What's to say it didn't get bought by Adam? Maybe he figured he was getting a steal at $20K?

Just an interesting thought.

legaleagle92481
01-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Here's a whack idea that I had yesterday while I was watching the Jets Chargers game. Now, to us collectors around here $20K seems astronomical to pay for a jersey, let alone one of a rookie. That much as been decided between these 2 Sanchez threads.

Did anyone see the folks who were down on the Jets sideline during the game yesterday? I happened to see Adam Sandler.

Seeing as though he has worn a Jets shirt in 99% of his movies, and even owns the team in 'Mr. Deed's', this leads me to believe he must be a Jets fan..no?

What is 20K to this guy? 5 minutes on the set? Who's to say that a normal collector, such as ourselves bought that Sanchez? What's to say it didn't get bought by Adam? Maybe he figured he was getting a steal at $20K?

Just an interesting thought.

Good point. After all look how much Charlie Sheen paid for the Buckner/Mookie Wilson 1986 World Series game 6 through the legs baseball, Wayne Gretzky paid for that T-2006 Honus Wagner, Todd MacFlarene paid for these single season homer record balls and Marc Ecko paid for Bonds' career HR record ball. Alot of celebs spens huge money on memorabilia. I read that Nicholas Cage had a comic book collection worth more than a million dollars.

legaleagle92481
01-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Shonn Greene's rookie jerseys should be more coveted than Sanchez'.

Greene is having a nice run but I wouldn't run to spend $2,500 on his jersey just yet. He is 25 already and he has Thomas Jones and Leon Washington to compete with for playing time next year. Assuming Jones plays two more years (not unreasonable considering he had 1,400 plus yards this year) and that Washington because of his small frame is not suited to be an every down back Greene would be 27 before he had the main role. Sanchez at least will be the unquestioned starter for the forseeable future and is only 23 and QBs have a longer shelf life than RBS Favre and Warner are still amazing players at about 40 and they are old enough to be Mark's dad.

LastingsMilledge85
01-18-2010, 11:40 AM
I don't think Washington may be back next year. If he is an unrestricted free agent and he missed most of this season the Jets will move on, IMO, because he will probably ask for a huge contract that the Jets won't and don't need to pay. I think Greene has proven himself unlike Sanchez.

joelsabi
01-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Good point. After all look how much Charlie Sheen paid for the Buckner/Mookie Wilson 1986 World Series game 6 through the legs baseball, Wayne Gretzky paid for that T-2006 Honus Wagner, Todd MacFlarene paid for these single season homer record balls and Marc Ecko paid for Bonds' career HR record ball. Alot of celebs spens huge money on memorabilia. I read that Nicholas Cage had a comic book collection worth more than a million dollars.

Penny Marshall, Billy Crystal (the Mantle glove story), Spike Lee come to mind too. Wonder if Jack Nicholson has Laker memorabilia.

TriplexXxSports
01-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Penny Marshall, Billy Crystal (the Mantle glove story), Spike Lee come to mind too. Wonder if Jack Nicholson has Laker memorabilia.

....or Jim Belushi having Bears/Cubs Gear......

tjm5711
01-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Next week after the Jets lose to the Colts, we'll be back wondering if the Sanchez jersey is barely worth $5,000. An, I agree with a few other members on the forum. Sanchez has had very little to do with the Jets success. That defense is the main reason they are in the title game !

costas
01-18-2010, 02:29 PM
I wonder what Sanchez' future season jerseys will sell for. I agree, the defense has done it all for the Jets especially with Revis.

jhunt28
01-18-2010, 03:15 PM
The Hunt Superbowl auction will be interesting to follow, and see where the final hammer drops on this Sanchez gamer. What's very odd, is that the estimated price was ($2,000-$3,000). Maybe they missed the $20k print???

http://www.huntauctions.com/live/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=23&lot_num=190&lot_qual=

suicide_squeeze
01-18-2010, 05:04 PM
The Hunt Superbowl auction will be interesting to follow, and see where the final hammer drops on this Sanchez gamer. What's very odd, is that the estimated price was ($2,000-$3,000). Maybe they missed the $20k print???

http://www.huntauctions.com/live/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=23&lot_num=190&lot_qual=

It's already at $2,750 (at 2:00 p.m. wct, 1-18-10)

But I wouldn't guess this jersey goes substantially higher. It's ugly as hell to me....some throwbacks just wreak with ugliness. IMO, this is one of them.

legaleagle92481
01-20-2010, 01:43 AM
I don't think Washington may be back next year. If he is an unrestricted free agent and he missed most of this season the Jets will move on, IMO, because he will probably ask for a huge contract that the Jets won't and don't need to pay. I think Greene has proven himself unlike Sanchez.

Whether Washingon is restricted or unrestricted depends on if there is a new CBA as he has played five years. It is a tough call as to whether he should be brought back after the injury his price will have dropped alot and he is their most explosive player when healthy but he will be 28 coming off a major injury and Greene has proven himself these last few weeks. Another issue is Jones will be 32 but you can't cut him after the two years he just had but at his age he does not have more than a year or at most two left as I do not ever recall a 34 year old back rushing for 1,000 yards. So maybe they keep Leon around and phase Jones out slowly next year with Greene getting an increased workload and then the following year assuming Greene continues to produce and Leon comes back alright have Greene and Leon be the tandem. The Giants played with three good backs last year and it worked out well so maybe that is what the Jets do or ditch Leon and bring in another back a year or two down the road to replace Jones.

suicide_squeeze
01-20-2010, 03:44 PM
It's already at $2,750 (at 2:00 p.m. wct, 1-18-10)

But I wouldn't guess this jersey goes substantially higher. It's ugly as hell to me....some throwbacks just wreak with ugliness. IMO, this is one of them.

$3,850 and climbing......This guy has some serious fans!!! It's almost 2 FULL WEEKS from ending!

whatupyos
01-20-2010, 04:45 PM
$3,850 and climbing......This guy has some serious fans!!! It's almost 2 FULL WEEKS from ending!

Steve,

Howdy. I can't wait to see how many grumpy old men gripe about whatever the final hammer price this jersey sells for. Its comical to me to see how much crap people talk about what a jersey sells for. Again I say, WHO CARES!!!! But I'm sure the same ol' folks will bicker and banter about $$$$$ is too much and how he's not this or not that.

Thanks for starting a thread on this though because it makes me laugh at the responses.

Aaron

34swtns
01-20-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm happy that us curmudgeonly "common-sense crazies" can provide you with some comic relief.
I'll keep laughing at how people spend their money and you can keep laughing at me.......sounds like a plan.

GarkoCollector
01-20-2010, 06:47 PM
The "shellacking" was a result of 3 missed FG's, making 2 of which would have given SD the win.

allstarsplus
01-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Steve,

Howdy. I can't wait to see how many grumpy old men gripe about whatever the final hammer price this jersey sells for. Its comical to me to see how much crap people talk about what a jersey sells for. Again I say, WHO CARES!!!! But I'm sure the same ol' folks will bicker and banter about $$$$$ is too much and how he's not this or not that.

Thanks for starting a thread on this though because it makes me laugh at the responses.

Aaron

It will be good to see where this ends up with an auction format vs. a BuyItNow type of format.

This is a significant jersey too. Sanchez not only threw for 2 TD's but he also ran for 1 and the fact this was the 50th Anniversary AFL game, I think this goes for big money and will land in a territory that will also reflect how far the Jets go in the Post Season.

Now for people that like history, this was Sanchez's 1st rushing TD of his career too. He also started his career going 3-0 with a win in this jersey.

Description: Mark Sanchez 9/27/2009 New York Jets rookie game worn jersey. Professional model blue mesh jersey retains its original "6" on front and back with "Sanchez" nameplate on the reverse. AFL "50th Anniversary Season" patch is affixed to the front with "09-44" tagging inside the collar area. Jersey shows evident use including soiling/staining. Very fine game worn jersey from one of the most promising young quarterbacks in the game. Includes COA from the NFL with matching numbered authentication sticker affixed: EX-MT

allstarsplus
01-20-2010, 07:26 PM

Here is a pic which should be great for a photomatch:

suicide_squeeze
01-20-2010, 11:05 PM
It will be good to see where this ends up with an auction format vs. a BuyItNow type of format.

This is a significant jersey too. Sanchez not only threw for 2 TD's but he also ran for 1 and the fact this was the 50th Anniversary AFL game, I think this goes for big money and will land in a territory that will also reflect how far the Jets go in the Post Season.

Now for people that like history, this was Sanchez's 1st rushing TD of his career too. He also started his career going 3-0 with a win in this jersey.

Description: Mark Sanchez 9/27/2009 New York Jets rookie game worn jersey. Professional model blue mesh jersey retains its original "6" on front and back with "Sanchez" nameplate on the reverse. AFL "50th Anniversary Season" patch is affixed to the front with "09-44" tagging inside the collar area. Jersey shows evident use including soiling/staining. Very fine game worn jersey from one of the most promising young quarterbacks in the game. Includes COA from the NFL with matching numbered authentication sticker affixed: EX-MT

Lang-man......ALL excellent points. The jersey, although not the classic style "Jets" jersey that I would love to display if I were a football collector, does carry with it a whole lot of serious significance. I think it will surprise a lot of folks at the final "clunk" of the hammer.

Except of course 34swtns, because he knows that whomever wins this jersey will be a fool and have over-payed it. :) It's all good, as Aaron says, who cares? To each his own, right?

And to my man Aaron, what good would I be if I didn't interject a little food-for-thought for our friends who know us guys that are out of our wits? That's my M.O., I can't let my friends down.

I just have to present it in a nice friendly fashion these days. ;)

Go JETS!

NYCrulesU
01-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Hate to go kind of OT in this thread, but does anyone know a direct email for JO Sports? I've tried to contact them through their site and on these very forums. Each attempt has gone unanswered.

Thanks.

gingi79
01-20-2010, 11:14 PM
I can't voice an opinion about the jersey and the price because I'm all for people loving an item and paying whatever it takes. None of my business what you spend on your hobby. You can afford it? I'm jealous, wish I had the scratch to spend on jerseys. I hope the collector spends years enjoying it.

As a Dolphins fan, nothing personal but I'd rather marry my sister than own a Jets jersey. It is painful to watch them be successful and I am a huge Indy fan this weekend. However....

Darrelle Revis is a monster, one of the greatest DB's I have ever watched. My free advice? Put your money into HIS jerseys, that kid is money. He shut down the NFL this season and he hasn't even touched his potential. Plus, it's easy to root for an NFL player who is humble, Team Oriented and shuts up obnoxious WRs.

JO had two jerseys for sale, one was a full uniform for $2750 and the other was just a jersey at $2500. My opinion as a Fish fan, that is a great, great investment for whoever was smart enough to buy one.

Gog how dirty I feel saying something nice about a Jet. I need a shower......

suicide_squeeze
01-20-2010, 11:17 PM
The "shellacking" was a result of 3 missed FG's, making 2 of which would have given SD the win.

Really?

Yeah, and on December 8th, 1940, The Chicago Bears squeaked by the Washington Redskins 73-0 because Sammy Baugh had an off day by not throwing a meager 11 touchdown passes needed to overcome that small margin of defeat. Dang it.....they were so close.

I mean, are we going to play the woulda-shoulda-coulda game?

When the fourth quarter ticks off to :00 and you look up at the scoreboard.......that's all she wrote. The rest of it is just for argument's sake. San Diego has a nice coat of shellack on them for the off-season. The score had nothing to do with it. They got beat by a team sporting a rookie quarterback who sells overpriced jerseys. And that's a shellacking in my book!

34swtns
01-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Except of course 34swtns, because he knows that whomever wins this jersey will be a fool and have over-payed it.

Excellent analysis. I see you've been listening after all.
Try this, though: "Whomever wins......will....have overpaid for it".

suicide_squeeze
01-20-2010, 11:22 PM
I can't voice an opinion about the jersey and the price because I'm all for people loving an item and paying whatever it takes. None of my business what you spend on your hobby. You can afford it? I'm jealous, wish I had the scratch to spend on jerseys. I hope the collector spends years enjoying it.

As a Dolphins fan, nothing personal but I'd rather marry my sister than own a Jets jersey. It is painful to watch them be successful and I am a huge Indy fan this weekend. However....

Darrelle Revis is a monster, one of the greatest DB's I have ever watched. My free advice? Put your money into HIS jerseys, that kid is money. He shut down the NFL this season and he hasn't even touched his potential. Plus, it's easy to root for an NFL player who is humble, Team Oriented and shuts up obnoxious WRs.

JO had two jerseys for sale, one was a full uniform for $2750 and the other was just a jersey at $2500. My opinion as a Fish fan, that is a great, great investment for whoever was smart enough to buy one.

Hey Matt!!!

After you dry off, give yourself a pat on the back for the highlighted quote above, nice post buddy!

It's nice to hear a complement about a guy you would normally hate because he's not on your team, but you step up and accept the guy for his demeanor and talent.....well said!!

Steve

suicide_squeeze
01-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Excellent analysis. I see you've been listening after all.
Try this, though: "Whomever wins......will....have overpaid for it".

:o ......Are you "frik" in disguise? She usually sets me straight on my typos/spelling snafu's.

I am obviously still upset over the drubbing insults I took from your friend "tjm5711" the other day. I apologize for my rediculous spelling error.

By the way, tell Jason Adair .....er....."Tom" :rolleyes: .....I say hi, and I wish him success in coming up with yet another name like "Mr3000". That was a catchier name than tjm5711. Oh, and also a good luck in successfully changing that IP addy that's currently blocked. But you might want to give him a head's up that I won't be biting on any future posts....I have a promise to live up to.:D

frikativ54
01-20-2010, 11:48 PM
:o ......Are you "frik" in disguise? She usually sets me straight on my typos/spelling snafu's.

I am obviously still upset over the drubbing insults I took from your friend "tjm5711" the other day. I apologize for my rediculous spelling error.

Grammar police here. It's "whoever" not "whomever." Only use whomever if it is the object of a sentence. The who/whom distinction is an important one, though it is quickly eroding in spoken English.

By the way, tell Jason Adair .....er....."Tom" :rolleyes: .....I say hi, and I wish him success in coming up with yet another name like "Mr3000". That was a catchier name than tjm5711. Oh, and also a good luck in successfully changing that IP addy that's currently blocked. But you might want to give him a head's up that I won't be biting on any future posts....I have a promise to live up to.:D

Stop making baseless accusations. I had emailed back and forth with tjm5711 a few times, so I decided to do some research. First, I did a reverse email search, and then I performed a background check. After investing my time and $10 finding out this information, I conclusively proved that Tom is who he says he is. I have the proof that Tom is not Jason Adair, and I explained it to you via email. Please check your messages before you spread information about a banned member that is patently false.

legaleagle92481
01-20-2010, 11:53 PM

I bought one from them a little over a month ago for $1,700 so the price has gone up alot in a short period of time but still worth it if he keeps it up he may go down as best corner ever as he is only 24 and just getting started.

calgrad1999
01-21-2010, 01:24 AM
Had to weigh in on this one...

The value of the 20K jersey is going to be more dependent on what Sanchez does in the coming years, not so much on this weekend's game.
Sure the valuation will be more frothy if the Jets win and go to Super Bowl and Sanchez doesn't have a bad game, but in order for the Jersey to maintain its value over 20K, Sanchez is going to have to be an All-Pro caliber QB, or play a major role for sucessful Jets teams (think at least one SB win and several solid playoff runs). What happens if he turns into Todd Marinovich

Even if the Jets win, it's questionable whether said jersey would sell for over 20K if said owner were to try to sell it. I think there's a good chance it would, but am not convinced. If said owner were a seller, it would be a good time to unload it. If he doesn't, he essentially is betting that Sanchez is more than a flash in the pan and will go on to be a very successful NFL QB.

Net net, I don't think a buyer will pay 20K for a jersey of an average or moderately successful QB, even if it's his first one. His college career wasn't as successful as Leinart, Bush, or Palmer, so from that standpoint, there won't be as much value there. Though it's worth noting if you're the seller, all you have to do is find one bigger idiot than yourself to unload the jersey on to recoup your money.

Also, bear in mind that given the sucess Sanchez and the Jets have had this last year, expectations will be high and any slip-ups next year will be pretty detrimental. Fans will be expecting the world going forward.

Remember folks, buy items for "collectible value" not "investment value".

Don't try to apply stock/investment methodologies to these items or you will go insane.

You'll be happy you did!!!

ivo610
01-21-2010, 01:33 AM
What did you expect from a big fan base but no real quality players to collect? The franchise has been in the basement of the NFL since the 69. Of course there going to go ga ga over some rookie who is terrible. There are only so many Joe Namath jerseys to go around. But I should be nicer, I do business with Al Toon.

jhunt28
01-21-2010, 07:05 AM
What did you expect from a big fan base but no real quality players to collect? The franchise has been in the basement of the NFL since the 69. Of course there going to go ga ga over some rookie who is terrible. There are only so many Joe Namath jerseys to go around. But I should be nicer, I do business with Al Toon.

1 Superbowl, 4 Divison Championships, 13 years of playoff appearances. CMON MAN! I wouldn't exactly use the term "basement of the NFL since '69".

legaleagle92481
01-21-2010, 09:54 AM

The Jets have had alot of good players over the years besides Namath. Don Maynard, Curtis Martin, John Riggins, Joe Klecko, Mark Gastineneau, Kevin Manawe and Keyshawn Johnson are a few that come to mind. True most are not hall of famers but defintely well above average pro bowl quality players. the current team has a first ballot hall of famer (Alan Faneca), the best center and corner in the game (sorry Woodson fans but after the Charger game can you still argue that Revis is not the best), one of the game's best and underrated linebackers (David Harris), a top five left tackle, a many time pro bowl fullback who has cleared the way for many great running backs including Priest Holmes and Adrian Peterson and a running back with five straight 1,000 yard seasons.

ivo610
01-21-2010, 11:36 AM
1 Superbowl, 4 Divison Championships, 13 years of playoff appearances. CMON MAN! I wouldn't exactly use the term "basement of the NFL since '69".

The franchise winning percentage is .450 which is 26th all time among the league. Since 69 they they have had 1 less division championship than the lions and 2 more playoff appearances. The jets have had some good teams and some good players but none that I would consider great.

Lets give Revis a few more years but right now he is a top 3 corner in the league. Im not about to argue the Woodson Revis thing again.

Im just giving Jets fans a hard time thats all, and thinking maybe the lack of huge stars might have something to do with someone dropping enough to buy a decent car on a jersey. I do think Fireman Ed is one of the best things about the NFL.

costas
01-21-2010, 11:41 AM
will the Jets playoff performance this season dictate the prices of their items for next, I noticed some items on Jo's site has been increasing as after each win in the playoffs.

jhunt28
01-21-2010, 11:42 AM
The franchise winning percentage is .450 which is 26th all time among the league. Since 69 they they have had 1 less division championship than the lions and 2 more playoff appearances. The jets have had some good teams and some good players but none that I would consider great.

Lets give Revis a few more years but right now he is a top 3 corner in the league. Im not about to argue the Woodson Revis thing again.

Im just giving Jets fans a hard time thats all, and thinking maybe the lack of huge stars might have something to do with someone dropping enough to buy a decent car on a jersey. I do think Fireman Ed is one of the best things about the NFL.

Now this shows how opposite ends of the spectrum we are...I'm one of the biggest Jets fans I know, and I think Fireman Ed is a complete jerkoff! BUT, on the flipside, he can get a crowd going. That was a dismal year in 2007 when he wasn't in the stadium though...

ivo610
01-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Now this shows how opposite ends of the spectrum we are...I'm one of the biggest Jets fans I know, and I think Fireman Ed is a complete jerkoff! BUT, on the flipside, he can get a crowd going. That was a dismal year in 2007 when he wasn't in the stadium though...

Im a fan of any "superfan" I think the vikings guy is hilarious and am pretty sure he drives like 6 hrs from Canada. The barrel guy from denver isnt around anymore I dont think. I have never heard anything personal about fireman ed so I just based it on what I see on Sundays.

jhunt28
01-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Im a fan of any "superfan" I think the vikings guy is hilarious and am pretty sure he drives like 6 hrs from Canada. The barrel guy from denver isnt around anymore I dont think. I have never heard anything personal about fireman ed so I just based it on what I see on Sundays.

Ed has gotten a bit full of himself...but then again, if you had the power to quiet 78,000 fans just by getting on someone else's shoulders, I guess you'd let it go to your head too. Prob natural...but he's a bit of a jerk from my personal interaction with him at a few tailgates.

34swtns
01-22-2010, 06:55 AM

What?? "MR3000"?
I don't know what you're talking about and couldn't care less.
Anyway, you can tell him 'hi' yourself when he shows up at your door.
You really seem to have a knack for getting under people's skin and you showcased it several times while chasing tjm around the forum until he snapped and got banned.
Just make sure you abide by your "promise" and everything will be fine.

34swtns
01-22-2010, 06:56 AM
Oh, and I almost forgot.........

GO COLTS!

mwbosoxfan
01-22-2010, 09:01 AM

+2 (one for the humor and the second for the stand-up analysis of Revis!)

mbenga28
01-24-2010, 05:55 PM
any final thoughts on this?

jhunt28
01-24-2010, 06:35 PM
any final thoughts on this?

Personally, Sanchez did nothing to tarnish the value of any of his jerseys after that game against the Colts. He was nothing short of amazing in how he handled a very good, and fast Colts defense. He made great decisions on the field, and I have a lot of confidence in him having a great 2010 season. If you really want to point to why we lost the game, it was Lito (I'm a delicate flower) Sheppard and Donald Strickland going down, and us being left with our 3rd and 4th string corners on Garcon and Collie. Also losing Shonn Greene was huge, as Thomas Jones was out of gas by the 3rd qtr. But I think Sanchez held his own, and impressed me today. So the $20k jersey holds its value in my opinion.

34swtns
01-24-2010, 07:03 PM
I agree, it was a great effort by the rookie QB going as far as he did this season. He is to be commended, for sure.
And the jersey certainly retains a value due to his performance, just not 20K.
Not yet.
His future play will ultimately decide if that 20K gamble pays off or not.

legaleagle92481
01-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Sanchez is going to be very, very good in a couple of years he is so young and has so little experience even before this year with only starting one year at USC and he has shown some real flashes like in the first half yesterday. The Jets are a very good team and will be for a long time if they can get younger, better on the D line and upgrade the corners (other than Revis). I think Mark will end up like Big Ben went far first year on a run and defense based team then evolved into a super Bowl championship winning difference maker QB.

jake33
12-05-2012, 09:05 PM
This would be an interesting post to revisit...

If a card company paid $20,000 for this jersey. How microscopic of jersey swatches to make jersey card do you think they would have to make to pay for this jersey? I would think they would have to use swatches from this jersey the size of pinky-hang nail.

yanks12025
12-05-2012, 09:29 PM
I don't know football prices, but would it even be a $2,000 jersey now. Really he shouldn't even be starting.

jake33
12-05-2012, 09:42 PM
I think he'll have a hard time even getting to 20,000 career yards. He would have to be a fultime starter for about 3 more years.

1) Rex Ryan probably won't be the Jets HC in 3 years
2) The way he has been completing 55% of his passes , in this pinball area of NFL offenses, that is horrid, no way he will be given another 3 full years as a starter.
---------------
Speaking of this area of NFL offenses, I pulled NFL scores from 1996 and compared them to scores in 2012. Teams scoring 30 or more points is up 53% in a week to week comparrison. In 2011, 3 QB's threw for 5,000 yards From the previous 75 NFL seasons only 2 guys threw for 5,000 in a season.

Even though this era of the NFL is not tainted by drugs, this era of the NFL is reminding me of the 1998 McGwire/Sosa homerun chase. With that, I am wondering if there will be longterm issues that come from this. NFL's stat book is not scared like MLB's, but this is a bit of joke that the NFL is looking more like Arena league football.

It seems tht Madden Football Video games and Fantasy Football have significantly had an effect on how the game is played now. I'll take a 7-6 Jets vs Cardinals score over a 38-41 shootout. I guess that is my point of view from growing up watching Buccaneers football where 13-10 scores were typical and a 20 yard play was a big deal.
---------------------------

gingi79
12-05-2012, 11:50 PM
Very rarely can I be shown to have a good idea especially in this hobby. Telling fans to invest in Revis rather than Sanchez in late 2009/ early 2010 seems to be my moment of genius.

Then again, anyone who follows football and wasn't bleeding green and white agreed with me but seeing it in black and white now made me feel smart :D

Jags Fan Dan
12-06-2012, 08:53 AM
I don't know football prices, but would it even be a $2,000 jersey now. Really he shouldn't even be starting.
I don't think it would bring $2k, but in the right auction there are probably enough Jets fans to get it near that amount at least, right now. But I think the meter on this jerseys value is spinning backwards rapidly. As soon as he is officially not a starter or gone from the Jets, I think the value will drop dramatically.