PDA

View Full Version : Highest Number of Woodgrains

jetersbatboy
01-18-2010, 04:08 PM
I was taking a look at a few of my recent bat pickups and one stood out from the others its a Kevin Maas bat. I just got the bat a couple weeks back, from Dewey. I noticed the wood grain count was really high 30 to be exact. I was just wondering, what bat has the highest woodgrain count in your collection?

David
01-18-2010, 04:32 PM
I assume more grain per inch is high quality wood, and might help identify cheap non-pro bats.

Off topic, but my dad had an Pre-Revolution Iranian student give him an Iranian Persian prayer rug. My dad knew little about rugs, but a visitor to our home inspected the rug back and front and said it was of the highest quality. My dad asked why he said that. The visitor said he counted the stitches per inch on the back, with the more stitches per inch meaning higher quality.

David
01-18-2010, 04:44 PM
It would be interesting for someone to study the wood grain numbers on bats. It might be helpful in authentication, such as for identifying a low grade wood that might be used in a store model or fake, but never by Ted Williams or Babe Ruth.

spartakid
01-18-2010, 04:47 PM
I don't recall the thread exactly, but I do remember this coming up. I believe some players prefer a very low grain count (Tony Gwynn I believe was one of them, and others like higher counts. I think someone said that one of the grain counts is better for power hitters or something like that. If someone knows more, please chime in.

zonker
01-18-2010, 04:52 PM
i that would be correct for textile's but for wood bat's. the lower the number of woodgrains the better quality of bat.

Dewey2007
01-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Scott, I have another Maas bat that is a '86-89 LVS R161 model and that bat has a count of 30 woodgrains as well. Maybe he liked his R161 bats that way?

I looked at three Jeff Kent LVS bats I have and they ranged from 14-20 woodgrains each.

Maybe Mike Specht or BMH can share more about woodgrain counts in general? What does it mean and do particular players request a higher or lower count?

metsbats
01-18-2010, 05:18 PM
This 1985 Gary Carter bat has 42 wood grains. The story behind is bat is interesting. In September 1985 Carter used up all his supply of P89 bats and was forced to use this P89L with 42 wood grains. He ended up hitting 5 home runs in 2 days to tie a major league record with it.

joelsabi
01-18-2010, 06:34 PM
I don't recall the thread exactly, but I do remember this coming up. I believe some players prefer a very low grain count (Tony Gwynn I believe was one of them, and others like higher counts. I think someone said that one of the grain counts is better for power hitters or something like that. If someone knows more, please chime in.

here the thread on lowests grain count.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=28072&highlight=bat+grains

i guess its player preference.

Jags Fan Dan
07-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Just got this Hal Morris Reds bat with 34. By far the most in my collection.