PDA

View Full Version : Ebay/shipping how do I handle this?

legaleagle92481
01-22-2010, 06:45 PM
I had an Ebay auction close the other day and the winning bidder paid me the same night. The shipping rate specfied in the auction was 9.99 but it was for the United States and it indicated this. The buyer lives in Canada. I found this out after he paid me. The item went for about 30% of what I paid for it and I am giving 25% to the Red Cross so I am essentially giving the item away as it is. I do not want to pay towards the shipping as well. How do handle this assuming the buyer refuses to pay more for shipping? I have never had this come up before.

neverfinished94
01-22-2010, 06:48 PM
explain to the winning bidder that the shipping rate was for the US and they will need to pay x amount to cover the difference for shippinf to Canada. if they have an issue with it, contact ebay and see what their stance is

ahuff
01-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Funny you should mention this. I just had this happen to me the other day. I sold a jersey with free shipping. In the noted shipping area I stated that I was willing to ship within the United States (where I am at). Lo and behold, a dude from Japan bids and wins the item. I contacted him and asked that he pay for the shipping, and calculated it. The shipping to Japan was something crazy like $150. My item was a $100 item. No way I was paying him to take my item...I was willing to take a negative feedback on that one. So after not hearing from him, I contacted ebay. Usually, this is like spitting in the wind. However, this time, I heard back from them and they actually took my side. They sent me a message saying that he was wrong and that there were several different ways that I could handle the situation. One of which was to ship it to him, which I already told you there was no way I was doing that. They also sent him a warning e-mail and told him that he can't bid on items that sellers aren't willing to ship to Japan. I chose to open a claim on the auction, and see if he would cancel his bid. He did cancel it, and I got a full refund of the closing price and sent a second chance offer to the next highest bidder. It worked out great. It sounds like you will need to do the exact same thing.

neverfinished94
01-22-2010, 07:09 PM
this happened to me with a buyer in Germany. i told him that my auction clearly states that i only ship within the US. he said he was willing to pay the difference. he paid the extra $$$, i shipped the item and he left positive feedback. so luckily it worked out for me

suave1477
01-22-2010, 08:49 PM
This happened to me once but there is an easier way to handle it. Instead of having to send a formal email to Ebay.

First when it comes to an ebay auction in the part where you are setting up the auction there is a function which says where you are willing to ship too. It is up to you if you are open to specific areas Example U.S., Japan, Canada, etc.....

Let's say you just picked the U.S. but someone bids on it anyway who lives outside of the U.S. He/She bids, wins, and pays for it including the shipping which you listed for U.S. shipments

Bidder from outsde the U.S. won the item
I emailed the buyer and said (for example the shipping cost is $10) I tell them if they want it it will cost $20. He refuses to pay the extra. I explained to him my listing as noted in the auction is for shipping to the U.S. only. He says well I paid for the item and I want it.

There is a feature in the file a dispute section where you can put bidder wants the item shipped to area outside of what you listed you would be willing too. You click on it and it will automatically refund his money back, refund your listing fee, and disable him from leaving feedback.
Also will let you offer it to the second bidder.

You have every right to refuse shipping the item if they are not going to pay the extra cost because as stated in your listing you only ship to the U.S.

Do not be afraid!!! You are not going to lose out on possible customers from outside the U.S. (when you list U.S. shipping only)
Do you think this deters possible customers from outside of the U.S. from bidding? Not at all!!! I get plenty of emails on my items from people in Japan and other countries if I would be willing to ship an item to somewhere else and I email them back and say yes, I would with an extra cost in shipping, 99.9% of the time they have no problem with it and are still willing to bid on the item.
Trust me you will not lose business, so nothing to worry about by listing the item as only being shipped to the U.S.

As far as the member who said shipping to Japan was going to cost him a $150.
I am not sure what you were planning to ship but if it was a Jersey or a Bat it shouldn't have cost really any more than $20 dollars.
I have shipped bats and Jerseys plenty of times through the U.S. Postal service and every time it usually cost me $17 - $20.

So you may say well how do I know what to charge someone out side of the country. If you go through the U.S. Post office it really shouldn't be any more than double of what you would usually ship here in the U.S.

So when im shipping an item for $10 here in the U.S. and someone asks me will I ship to Japan and how much will it cost my rule of thumb is double and I tell them $20 and like I said the cost usually falls into the $17 - $20 range for that particular item through the U.S. Post office.

legaleagle92481
01-23-2010, 12:49 AM
This happened to me once but there is an easier way to handle it. Instead of having to send a formal email to Ebay.

First when it comes to an ebay auction in the part where you are setting up the auction there is a function which says where you are willing to ship too. It is up to you if you are open to specific areas Example U.S., Japan, Canada, etc.....

Let's say you just picked the U.S. but someone bids on it anyway who lives outside of the U.S. He/She bids, wins, and pays for it including the shipping which you listed for U.S. shipments

Bidder from outsde the U.S. won the item
I emailed the buyer and said (for example the shipping cost is $10) I tell them if they want it it will cost $20. He refuses to pay the extra. I explained to him my listing as noted in the auction is for shipping to the U.S. only. He says well I paid for the item and I want it.

There is a feature in the file a dispute section where you can put bidder wants the item shipped to area outside of what you listed you would be willing too. You click on it and it will automatically refund his money back, refund your listing fee, and disable him from leaving feedback.
Also will let you offer it to the second bidder.

You have every right to refuse shipping the item if they are not going to pay the extra cost because as stated in your listing you only ship to the U.S.

Do not be afraid!!! You are not going to lose out on possible customers from outside the U.S. (when you list U.S. shipping only)
Do you think this deters possible customers from outside of the U.S. from bidding? Not at all!!! I get plenty of emails on my items from people in Japan and other countries if I would be willing to ship an item to somewhere else and I email them back and say yes, I would with an extra cost in shipping, 99.9% of the time they have no problem with it and are still willing to bid on the item.
Trust me you will not lose business, so nothing to worry about by listing the item as only being shipped to the U.S.

As far as the member who said shipping to Japan was going to cost him a $150.
I am not sure what you were planning to ship but if it was a Jersey or a Bat it shouldn't have cost really any more than $20 dollars.
I have shipped bats and Jerseys plenty of times through the U.S. Postal service and every time it usually cost me $17 - $20.

So you may say well how do I know what to charge someone out side of the country. If you go through the U.S. Post office it really shouldn't be any more than double of what you would usually ship here in the U.S.

So when im shipping an item for $10 here in the U.S. and someone asks me will I ship to Japan and how much will it cost my rule of thumb is double and I tell them $20 and like I said the cost usually falls into the $17 - $20 range for that particular item through the U.S. Post office.

Thanks so much for your input everyone. Suave where is this feature you mention located? All I see is the cancel transaction option.

David
01-23-2010, 03:50 AM
I've had international buyers ask if they should pay extra and even pay extra when I didn't ask for it. So buyers can be understanding.

suave1477
01-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks so much for your input everyone. Suave where is this feature you mention located? All I see is the cancel transaction option.

When the auction ends and the transaction isn't going the way you expected - such as the bidder being from outside the U.S. and refusing to pay the extra costs.
On the page of your auction it shows up you can file a dispute.
When you click on it it gives you 2 options as a buyer or as a seller. Obviously you pick seller.
It will list a few options for you such as
Bidder has not paid
Bidder wants item shipped other than where your willing too.

Click on the latter and it should take you from there.