PDA

View Full Version : Why do people collect Phil Plantier and Matt Nokes stuff??

Toowon
01-28-2010, 09:08 PM
I've been collecting for years, and all my favorites are stars. When I go to the items wanted and see people who are desperately looking for a Phil Plantier bat, I am honestly puzzled. Why collect no names? I know you guys are out there, and I'm not trying to be funny, but who wants this stuff?

CampWest
01-28-2010, 09:12 PM
To each his own.

Some people like to collect the players from their hometown teams, or guys that grew up locally. And some collect on a budget and can't collect merely Hall of Famers and perennial All-Stars.

mbrieve
01-28-2010, 09:19 PM
I've been collecting for years, and all my favorites are stars. When I go to the items wanted and see people who are desperately looking for a Phil Plantier bat, I am honestly puzzled. Why collect no names? I know you guys are out there, and I'm not trying to be funny, but who wants this stuff?
I can tell you that many Tigers fans have fond memories of Matt Nokes. His 1987 rookie season was impressive and he was named to the All-Star team. Also, 1987 was the last time the Tigers won the division.

Birdbats
01-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Everybody has their reasons. Here are a few possible ones...
Guy is the missing link in a set. Sometimes, the no-name guy's bat is the toughest bat to get.
You know the player or met him one time and you just like the guy. Could be he was a minor league player that nobody knew, but you got to know each other when the guy was playing rookie league ball.
He's from your school or hometown.
You have something in common with the player -- anything from a medical condition to a passion for the same music.
He did something once that was memorable. For example, my dad likes Roger Freed because Rog hit a walk-off HR against the Dodgers at a game we were at. Rog also smoked on the bench and kept candy in his back pocket -- kind of a big, endearing goof in my dad's eyes. I have 250 bats, my dad has one. Guess who.When you see an ad where someone is looking for a non-star player's stuff, there's probably a good story behind it.

CampWest
01-28-2010, 09:23 PM
I can tell you that many Tigers fans have fond memories of Matt Nokes. His 1987 rookie season was impressive and he was named to the All-Star team. Also, 1987 was the last time the Tigers won the division.

Yeah about .290/28-30HR/85-90RBI right? Not shabby at all.

metsbats
01-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Jeff hit most of the reasons I collect Ed Hearn

- Ed was a member of the 86 Mets and was one of the hardest bats for me to find since he only played that one season for the Mets.

- I was fortunate enough to meet and develop a friendship with him.

- We both share the same Christian faith.

- He juggled 3 baseballs in the 1986 Let's Go Mets Video.

joelsabi
01-28-2010, 09:50 PM
I remember refusing $15 for a Phil Plantier Stadium Club RC at a cardshow in 1992. :o My brother-in-law still rubs it in once in awhile.

Anyways if I was a hardcore Sox fan I would try to locate the bat from this card.

FYI. Plantier did hit 30 hr and 100 rbi in a season latter in his career. Not a slouch at all.

eisenreich8
01-28-2010, 10:06 PM
I have collected Jim Eisenreich for about 12 years as he is an inspiration to others with his history of facing down and defeating adversity, playing through it and sharing his time with similarly-afflicted kids (Tourette Syndrome). He is very humble and modest, a true gentleman, and I am thrilled to have met him. He never performed at a "star" level, but is popular with fans and was a steady presence throughout his 15 year career.

I've personally met many "stars" and "superstars" of sports, music, TV, etc. and some just don't do it for me personally. I have GU bats all over my basement walls of such players as Mike Benjamin, Donnie Sadler, Pokey Reese, Marty Barrett, Darren Bragg, and many more. Also Victor Martinez, Mike Lowell, and others who achieved more success, but for what it's worth, they ALL made it to the majors, I never did, so that in and of itself rates them for a spot on my walls. Lowell, for that matter, is a cancer survivor and shares the same character attributes as Mr. Eisenreich.

I am different and probably appear quite odd to state that even if I were inclined to spend the money to do so, I would not go out of my way to augment my collection with Williams, Yaz, or Fisk, for example, because to me, personally, "stardom" is not the criteria I use to collect player(s). I also have Julian Tavarez, Casey Kotchman, and a few other lesser-known players, because I somehow connect with them.

I know some collectors accumulate bats/balls/unis from big name players strictly so they can claim bragging rights. Others collect for investment purposes, and some for a mixture of reasons. But Phil Plantier or Joe DiMaggio is the same guy in some peoples' eyes. Just like you can't say everyone should listen to the Beatles or Stones.

The personal connection can and often is a stronger motivator to collect. Looking at some of the big stars of the past 10-15 years in baseball, it is no wonder that many a collector is worried about unloading some of their stuff and cannot because of the scandals.

Who would today invest much if anything in Tiger Woods-related items? Or Bonds? Where do you draw the line at who is a "star"? Seems like in some cases, the bigger they are, the leper they are.

rj_lucas
01-28-2010, 10:13 PM
I have collected Jim Eisenreich for about 12 years as he is an inspiration to others with his history of facing down and defeating adversity, playing through it and sharing his time with similarly-afflicted kids (Tourette Syndrome). He is very humble and modest, a true gentleman, and I am thrilled to have met him.

I remember Jim's days with the Royals quite well. A class act, all the way, and a fan favorite. Best reason to collect a player IMO.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

staindsox
01-28-2010, 10:22 PM
I collect Jack Hannahan because I went to high school with him. When you've watched a guy develop since he was 14 years old, you're really invested...even if he does only hit .218 in The Show.

Chris

Buster
01-28-2010, 10:28 PM
I have collected Jim Eisenreich for about 12 years as he is an inspiration to others with his history of facing down and defeating adversity, playing through it and sharing his time with similarly-afflicted kids (Tourette Syndrome). He is very humble and modest, a true gentleman, and I am thrilled to have met him. He never performed at a "star" level, but is popular with fans and was a steady presence throughout his 15 year career.

I've personally met many "stars" and "superstars" of sports, music, TV, etc. and some just don't do it for me personally. I have GU bats all over my basement walls of such players as Mike Benjamin, Donnie Sadler, Pokey Reese, Marty Barrett, Darren Bragg, and many more. Also Victor Martinez, Mike Lowell, and others who achieved more success, but for what it's worth, they ALL made it to the majors, I never did, so that in and of itself rates them for a spot on my walls. Lowell, for that matter, is a cancer survivor and shares the same character attributes as Mr. Eisenreich.

I am different and probably appear quite odd to state that even if I were inclined to spend the money to do so, I would not go out of my way to augment my collection with Williams, Yaz, or Fisk, for example, because to me, personally, "stardom" is not the criteria I use to collect player(s). I also have Julian Tavarez, Casey Kotchman, and a few other lesser-known players, because I somehow connect with them.

I know some collectors accumulate bats/balls/unis from big name players strictly so they can claim bragging rights. Others collect for investment purposes, and some for a mixture of reasons. But Phil Plantier or Joe DiMaggio is the same guy in some peoples' eyes. Just like you can't say everyone should listen to the Beatles or Stones.

The personal connection can and often is a stronger motivator to collect. Looking at some of the big stars of the past 10-15 years in baseball, it is no wonder that many a collector is worried about unloading some of their stuff and cannot because of the scandals.

Who would today invest much if anything in Tiger Woods-related items? Or Bonds? Where do you draw the line at who is a "star"? Seems like in some cases, the bigger they are, the leper they are.

Hello Mr. eisenreich8,

I always loved him too, and until I read your post, I never realized he had Tourette's syndrome! I thought he was a stutterer.

Is that maybe why he never did a lot of t.v. interviews, because he would always break out into a cussing tyrade? What a sad thing to have to worry about as a pro baseball player. The media must have had to censor conversations with him with a 10-second delay, aye?

Nice talking with you,

Buster

joelsabi
01-28-2010, 10:33 PM
I collect Jack Hannahan because I went to high school with him. When you've watched a guy develop since he was 14 years old, you're really invested...even if he does only hit .218 in The Show.

Chris

Your Hannahan Collection is impressive. Great quality and depth. I think its way tougher to get his items than to get stars item just because not many people would take the effort to hold onto his stuff. You seem like you are on the ball on getting his stuff. Keep up the great work. You photomatch his stuff or is it just tough since photographers dont take his photo.

Was Jack a classmate of yours in high school? Also has he ever seen your collection.

CampWest
01-28-2010, 10:36 PM
And to Jeff's/BirdBats' other point to complement your story... I really want an Eisenriech Royals bat, partially for those reasons, but also because he hit this one laser beam homerun off the face of the fountain signs at Kaufman one of the last games I ever went to with my dad... I can still see that HR when I close my eyes and think about it... it was that memorable.

eisenreich8
01-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Hello Mr. eisenreich8,

I always loved him too, and until I read your post, I never realized he had Tourette's syndrome! I thought he was a stutterer.

Is that maybe why he never did a lot of t.v. interviews, because he would always break out into a cussing tyrade? What a sad thing to have to worry about as a pro baseball player. The media must have had to censor conversations with him with a 10-second delay, aye?

Nice talking with you,

Buster

Buster,

The cussing manifestation is not universal and was not part of his problems. He had facial tics, rapid blinking, guttural, grunting sounds, clearing the throat all the time, and would hyperventilate in the outfield, during his MLB start with the Twins in the early '80's. The coaches thought he had stagefright, kind of berated him to get his act together if he wanted to play at the big league level and ultimately, he needed to leave the game for 2 years to get treatment and medication that worked.

He had the affliction as a kid and got laughed at a lot, but folks just got used to it. I know he was hurting inside getting teased and all. That's part of the wonder of how he developed the ability to play in front of crowds, and in 2 World Series, with the nerves, and succeeded. THAT'S why I collect him. Jeez, you'd think I know the guy or something.......

I hijacked the thread here and I apologize to one and all.

Buster
01-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Buster,

The cussing manifestation is not universal and was not part of his problems. He had facial tics, rapid blinking, guttural, grunting sounds, clearing the throat all the time, and would hyperventilate in the outfield, during his MLB start with the Twins in the early '80's. The coaches thought he had stagefright, kind of berated him to get his act together if he wanted to play at the big league level and ultimately, he needed to leave the game for 2 years to get treatment and medication that worked.

He had the affliction as a kid and got laughed at a lot, but folks just got used to it. I know he was hurting inside getting teased and all. That's part of the wonder of how he developed the ability to play in front of crowds, and in 2 World Series, with the nerves, and succeeded. THAT'S why I collect him. Jeez, you'd think I know the guy or something.......

I hijacked the thread here and I apologize to one and all.

Thank you for that info. I'm going to google his name and read about his life, all sounds very interesting. I did not know any of that, I just remember he was a good ball player. He reminded me of Pete Rose for some crazy reason. That type of hustling player.

Thanks for the explanation, sorry if I came off as ignorant in regards to his life and issues.

bigtruck260
01-28-2010, 10:45 PM
I think I have always been amazed at how some guys in the majors have little to no plate discipline...yet, when some of these dudes unleashed a swing, it was going a country mile...

There are a few guys who hit batting practice homers as Cardinals that have more power than anyone...they just rarely center the ball during a game:

Russell Branyan
Phil Plantier
Jack Clark - the best of them all
Felix Jose

Just to name a few...

IF ANYONE HAS A PHIL PLANTIER CARDINALS BAT - PLEASE EMAIL ME:D

eisenreich8
01-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Thank you for that info. I'm going to google his name and read about his life, all sounds very interesting. I did not know any of that, I just remember he was a good ball player. He reminded me of Pete Rose for some crazy reason. That type of hustling player.

Thanks for the explanation, sorry if I came off as ignorant in regards to his life and issues.

Not at all, partner! I am pleased that you care and unless you're a stalker like me, how were you gonna know all that? CampWest, give me time to agonize, and I may be able to pry a bat loose for you some day soon.......

legaleagle92481
01-28-2010, 11:16 PM
I used to love Nokes he was awesome in the original RBI baseball video game. You have to collect what you like. Out of my whole collection one of my favorite jerseys was worn by Shaun Ellis of the Jets because he has been a Jet forever and I went to the game he wore it in and in that game he made the game saving play.

CampWest
01-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Not at all, partner! I am pleased that you care and unless you're a stalker like me, how were you gonna know all that? CampWest, give me time to agonize, and I may be able to pry a bat loose for you some day soon.......

No rush, I'm not planning on going anywhere... If you do decide to, I can promise it will be well loved in a good home. BTW... Jim was at the Royals Fan Fest this year and you'll be happy to know he got a very warm and welcoming reception. His hard nosed hustle always won over the fans and even after all these years, they still remember how he played - despite the fact he wasn't a perennial all-star.

tigerdale
01-29-2010, 06:39 AM
great thread & great posts...you all are what collecting is all about!!!

russyurk
01-29-2010, 08:43 AM
I think it’s about feeling a connection to and appreciate for a particular player. That's why I collect Jim Abbott. We are from the same town and about the same age. I began to hear about the guy when he was in junior high. He attended the University of Michigan (I'm an alum) and he played for Team USA for two summers which is probably why I now have over 25 Team USA jerseys.

It was mentioned earlier, to each his own. That’s the beauty of collecting, you can customize your collection for you and no one else. Great thread.

Toowon
01-29-2010, 09:36 AM
I love it. Great enthusiam for teams, players, sports. Thank you so much for your stories. I get it.:o

markfd
01-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Always enjoyed watching Matt Nokes play (even for the Tigers) and in all of my collecting rarely come across anything from him game used from his Yankee days. Today's stars (and their agents/representatives) seel their stuff so there are tons of available, which is great for us hobbyists, but for me to get something that is a bit more scare from one of your favorite players from yestyear is a thrill. My other favorite Yankees to collect that I have at least something (unlike Nokes) from are Ramiro Mendoza and Gerald Williams, neither of whom achieved stardom in the majors.

Great discussion topic!

sox83cubs84
01-29-2010, 04:04 PM
[quote=eisenreich8;183933]I have collected Jim Eisenreich for about 12 years as he is an inspiration to others with his history of facing down and defeating adversity, playing through it and sharing his time with similarly-afflicted kids (Tourette Syndrome). He is very humble and modest, a true gentleman, and I am thrilled to have met him. He never performed at a "star" level, but is popular with fans and was a steady presence throughout his 15 year career.

Although I don't collect him, I am a fan of Eisenreich, as well. I was diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome in grade school (one of the first diagnosed cases in Illinois back in the 1960s), and I was fortunate to get the right meds for this quickly. I still take the medication, and, outside of the occasional cursing torrent, the meds have kept it in check.

I recall a BP at Wrigley when Jim was with the Marlins. Looking to play catch, and with no teammates in the immediate area, he began playing catch with bleacher and family section fans, making each throw to a different fan (I was one of 'em) and getting it back to throw to another fan. Great guy, and I'm glad his early struggles with the Twins didn't derail him permanently.

Dave M.
Chicago area

eisenreich8
01-29-2010, 05:48 PM
[quote=eisenreich8;183933]I have collected Jim Eisenreich for about 12 years as he is an inspiration to others with his history of facing down and defeating adversity, playing through it and sharing his time with similarly-afflicted kids (Tourette Syndrome). He is very humble and modest, a true gentleman, and I am thrilled to have met him. He never performed at a "star" level, but is popular with fans and was a steady presence throughout his 15 year career.

Although I don't collect him, I am a fan of Eisenreich, as well. I was diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome in grade school (one of the first diagnosed cases in Illinois back in the 1960s), and I was fortunate to get the right meds for this quickly. I still take the medication, and, outside of the occasional cursing torrent, the meds have kept it in check.

I recall a BP at Wrigley when Jim was with the Marlins. Looking to play catch, and with no teammates in the immediate area, he began playing catch with bleacher and family section fans, making each throw to a different fan (I was one of 'em) and getting it back to throw to another fan. Great guy, and I'm glad his early struggles with the Twins didn't derail him permanently.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Dave!

That is a great story. Thanks for sharing that. Have met the man twice, I have to say, he is a shy, quiet, kinda naive type of guy. I have a hard time picturing him, Daulton, Kruk, and Dykstra all in the same clubhouse together.......Eisenreich is also a devout Christian.

I am afflicted with occasional cursing torrents but I blame it on my wild Irish heritage.

Does anyone else have a personal connection to share/reason to collect a "less than star" player?

I grew up 5 doors down from Richie Hebner (who was years older than I) but his GU items were always impossible to find. He once told me "if you ever see anything of mine on eBay, it's a fake!". He must be right, b/c no GU item of his, as far as I know has appeared there since I've been looking, 1998.

I did just buy his home and road manager's jerseys from the Frederick Keys.

obpercent1
01-29-2010, 06:10 PM

As a matter of fact I collect all things related to Phil Plantier. I followed his career since his days in Pawtucket and have 15 of his game used bats-one from every major league team he played for except the A's so its my white whale(but I do have a Cardinals bat), his rookie home jersey from Boston, his last jersey from the Blue Jays when he got released in spring training, a Pawtucket Red Sox game worn jersey,a game used glove, a pair of his high top cleats, numerous posters and over 300 different cards, and a whole slew of other items so maybe I am a bit obsessed but like the previous poster said to each his own. And please let me know when you come across the Oakland A's bat.

CampWest
01-29-2010, 06:54 PM
You know, I can't stop thinking about this thread...

One of the bats thats made me the happiest last year was $40 or so from BPH... U.L. Washington... I barely remember him from my childhood, but I was SO excited to pick up his bat. And as I think about it, all I can really remember is he was 1) a great double-play partner for Frank White, 2) had a afro sticking out of his ball cap and 3) played SS and most of his at bats with a toothpick in his mouth... I remember sneaking a toothpick onto the baseball field as a 10yo and getting lectured to death by the umpire about 3 innings later...

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/51455256.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD2A272555D035D596 A02D134189B52D3585E51E4FB17C4A16

check out the toothpick here... haaaaaa :D:D:D I love it!

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/85264731.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA54815D6A0C38E1624C7 846374BA778F76B22F1620CE92F47EAA

Baseball is filled with characters... And you have to appreciate them all for their differences.

eisenreich8
01-29-2010, 07:02 PM
As a matter of fact I collect all things related to Phil Plantier. I followed his career since his days in Pawtucket and have 15 of his game used bats-one from every major league team he played for except the A's so its my white whale(but I do have a Cardinals bat), his rookie home jersey from Boston, his last jersey from the Blue Jays when he got released in spring training, a Pawtucket Red Sox game worn jersey,a game used glove, a pair of his high top cleats, numerous posters and over 300 different cards, and a whole slew of other items so maybe I am a bit obsessed but like the previous poster said to each his own. And please let me know when you come across the Oakland A's bat.

Please shoot me an email about a Plantier jersey I have available for sale. 04redsox@bellsouth.net. Thanks! Joe

obpercent1
01-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Please shoot me an email about a Plantier jersey I have available for sale. 04redsox@bellsouth.net. Thanks! Joe

Email sent

jays78
01-29-2010, 09:16 PM
I collect Rod Barajas, we became fans of his when he came to the Jays. Always great calling a game, and great defensively. And still quite a bit of pop offensively (19 HR last year). Still an unsigned free agent this year though??

We went to a team meet and greet last year and he picked up my 3 yr old daughter and let us all get a family photo with him, a class act, after the event we actually met him out on the sidewalk outside of the stadium, we were all in our Barajas shirts, even the 3 yr old, Rod greeted us again, then said to the guy with him "these guys have the best shirts in town"

I have one GU bat each from his MLB stops: Arizona, Texas, and Philadelphia, plus two from Toronto, including last year's Mother's Day Pink LS (both Toronto ones photo matched)

My most recent pickup was his '09 batting helmet, pounded with use, and photo matched.

A player doesn't have to be a superstar to have a fan base, really, it's sometimes more fun and unique I think to follow the non-superstar.

suave1477
01-29-2010, 09:35 PM
LET ME TELL YOU MY STORY OF MATT NOKES - A GOOD ONE

I met Matt back a couple of years ago one of the coolest guys I ever met. I was shocked for some reason in mind I had an assumption of him he was a hardass. Boy was I wrong!!

He happened to be sitting next to Jim Abbott (By the way he caught Abbotts no hitter) which is another reason why people may collect Nokes.
So he was sitting there, I was about 20 to 30 feet at least away from him walking in his direction with a game used bat of his. Before I can get near him and say "Hey Matt is this one of yours?" He says out loud "Hey you got one of my war clubs!!!" - I was so excited because he recognized it by the use from a distance that it was his, before I could even show him up close. He was so excited that I had it, he turned around to Abbott and tapped him on the shoulder hard and said "Hey Jim, look this guy has one of my war clubs, wow" it made me feel good knowing what I had was undoubtbly authentic. As I walked over to him he asked me would I like it autographed. I said sure, he turned around and said what would you like i'll write whatever you want (obviously meaning if I want it personalized, like my name or something) I said just your autograph is cool with me. He then wrote his "name" - "uniform #" - "Game Used" and the "year" he used it.

I was besides myself he would take the time out to write all that. I thought that was really nice of him. Then he asked me to sit down and talked baseball with me for at least 30 minutes to an hour.

One of the coolest guys I ever had an experience with!!:)

eisenreich8
01-29-2010, 10:00 PM

I met Matt back a couple of years ago one of the coolest guys I ever met. I was shocked for some reason in mind I had an assumption of him he was a hardass. Boy was I wrong!!

He happened to be sitting next to Jim Abbott (By the way he caught Abbotts no hitter) which is another reason why people may collect Nokes.
So he was sitting there, I was about 20 to 30 feet at least away from him walking in his direction with a game used bat of his. Before I can get near him and say "Hey Matt is this one of yours?" He says out loud "Hey you got one of my war clubs!!!" - I was so excited because he recognized it by the use from a distance that it was his, before I could even show him up close. He was so excited that I had it, he turned around to Abbott and tapped him on the shoulder hard and said "Hey Jim, look this guy has one of my war clubs, wow" it made me feel good knowing what I had was undoubtbly authentic. As I walked over to him he asked me would I like it autographed. I said sure, he turned around and said what would you like i'll write whatever you want (obviously meaning if I want it personalized, like my name or something) I said just your autograph is cool with me. He then wrote his "name" - "uniform #" - "Game Used" and the "year" he used it.

I was besides myself he would take the time out to write all that. I thought that was really nice of him. Then he asked me to sit down and talked baseball with me for at least 30 minutes to an hour.

See Toowon, this is the kind of story that is "the rest of the story".......

bigtruck260
01-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Here's another one...

Rex "The Wonder Dog" Hudler

He always hustled and played like he wanted to be there - 150% all the time. He's a good color commentary guy too. Might be a journeyman to some folks, but I'd gladly take one of his Cardinals bats.

Just sayin':)

Buster
01-29-2010, 11:17 PM

Are you keeping something from us? It sounds like you might have gone back to his hotel room and dropped trou?

soxbats
01-30-2010, 12:13 PM
In putting together my red sox collection I have collected both hall of famers and common guys (like plantier) and I find myself wondering in many ways why people collect the superstars. While it is thrilling to have a Yaz or a Rice I also have a lot of concern about authenticity, forgery, false use and then there is the price to find a bat that relieves all those concerns. (Before I get strafed for this comment by literalists, it is a bit tounge in cheek).

Who is out there faking a Plantier or Nokes? Sure, you run the risk that the bat might not have been used by these guys but how much have you invested? No threat of a team index bat or something fresh off the branding iron at LVS.

I like the common players because while sometimes rare, they are obtainable (particularly the newer guys) and they are cheap so you can buy more.

An authentic Ted Williams bat would be a fantastic addition to my collection (and one of the 18 I need to complete it) and I might have found a highly graded one for 5-10K at one time, but I was never really tempted. Instead I purchased hundreds of common and minor star bats to build my collection.

Also, For those of you who have larger collections that you show to friends you also may have experienced the following: the first question about what you have is always about the stars but the biggest thrill is pulling out that obscure guy that just blows people away or having the bat of a player who you visitor has some special memory of.

Of course, if you have the cash, I have no doubt that amassing an authentic HOF bat collection is a thrilling and rewarding experience. I just know that I got just as big a thrill tracking down a Rodger LaFrancois bat as I did my Carlton Fisk bat.

soxbats@aol.com

Looking for the following bats: Luis Alvarado; Marlan Coughtry; Carmen Fanzone; Chuck Goggin; Bobby Heise; Ron Jackson; Marty Keough; Felix Mantilla; Roman Mejias; Syd O'Brien; Ken Poulsen; George Smith; Willie Tasby; Ray Webster

woodbat
01-31-2010, 03:08 PM
I think I have always been amazed at how some guys in the majors have little to no plate discipline...yet, when some of these dudes unleashed a swing, it was going a country mile...

There are a few guys who hit batting practice homers as Cardinals that have more power than anyone...they just rarely center the ball during a game:

Russell Branyan
Phil Plantier
Jack Clark - the best of them all
Felix Jose

Just to name a few...

IF ANYONE HAS A PHIL PLANTIER CARDINALS BAT - PLEASE EMAIL ME:D

Dave,
Finally located my Plantier bat, was in the wrong pew!!!! Also you mentioned Rex Hudler. Here are photos of both these players from their Cardinal days. The Hudler is from 1991 and the Phil Plantier is from 1997 as he was traded from SD to StL on 13 June 1997 with Scott Livingstone and Fernando Valenzuela for Rich Batchelor, Mark Sweeney and Danny Jackson. Phil picked up #23 that was worn by Mark Sweeney. Phil also did some time at AAA Louisville in 1997. As you can see the bat has seen better days, but till or if I find a better one, will make due with what I got. Don't remember ever seeing another bat of his from the Cardinals.

Don
woodbat@bellsouth.net
stlbats

bigtruck260
01-31-2010, 08:13 PM
Don -

Thanks for posting photos of those outstanding, hard to find bats. This is EXACTLY why people collect things of certain players...they are completists...you, my friend, are much appreciated. Without you, one would never be able to see such things :)

Dave

woodbat
02-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Don -

Thanks for posting photos of those outstanding, hard to find bats. This is EXACTLY why people collect things of certain players...they are completists...you, my friend, are much appreciated. Without you, one would never be able to see such things :)

Dave

Thank you....

woodbat@bellsouth.net
stlbats

mbrieve
10-01-2010, 02:58 PM

I remembered this thread when I received this bat. I figured I would post it in here since no Matt Nokes examples were shared in this thread and you never know when somebody might be doing some research and come across this thread...

Matt Nokes GU Louisville Slugger from 1990 - due to knob markings, it was most likely used while he was with the Tigers before he was traded to the Yankees:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee92/mbriev16/Nokes01.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee92/mbriev16/Nokes02.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee92/mbriev16/Nokes03.jpg

Klattsy
10-01-2010, 04:58 PM
FWIW - i'm focusing on Aussie born guys...very common to you guys I guess.

Not only because they are Australian, but I figure they will be the only players I will probably ever meet in my life and that way I can get things signed.

Although Grant Balfour and Peter Moylan have been performing well which is getting recognition in the states. Still not household names down here though!

Plus the items are cheaper by FAR!

Not that i'd say no to a Puljos/Jeter bat! :D

Mark.

gingi79
10-01-2010, 07:49 PM
As a guy who collects superstars (Pavel Bure) underrated heart and soul guys (OJ McDuffie, Sami Salo, Matty Diaz) and guys no one heard of (Shawn Camp, Chris Lee) I think I have a grasp on why people collect because I have so many reasons myself.

First I love obscure players and styles. Everyone has a Jones Braves jersey, who has 7 Matt Diaz shirts? People who know me, what to see my collection because it inspires a combination of "Wow, is that real" + "How did you get that?" + "Who the hell would collect him?"

Shawn Camp threw my wife a baseball at a game once. Instantly became a hero for it. Then he ignored me and my wife even though were were wearing jerseys representative of him and his team last time we watched him play. He even sniped at me when I asked nicely after being the only person yelling to him. I just realized I haven't searched for his items on the boards or eBay since.

Salo was cheap when I started collecting him ($175-$295) and he played the game right. Is my collection worth half what I paid for it? Hellllll no. Am I proud of the most complete collection of his jerseys in known creation? Helllll yes.

I have been waiting 17 years to get the McDuffie shirt I just picked up. He mailed me back a signed card on his dime during his rookie season within 2 weeks of my request. He was just amazing to chat with at an autograph show in 1999. He will always be the most underrated receiver in my mind and the biggest Pro Bowl snub ever after he led the league in receptions in 1998 and wasn't even close to making it. Outside Miami, the average fan has no idea who he is. To me? Truly a superstar.

Matty Diaz is one stupid finger injury away from being the starting left fielder in Atlanta. When he is hot, man he is smoking the ball. Problem is, when he is cold, he hits .200. I just like the fact he is humble and steroid free and plays with heart. I know I will never feel like I am supporting a cheater while wearing his jersey.

As a Canucks fan, I am damn proud to own a Trevor Linden, a Pavel Bure and a Roberto Luongo. As a Braves Fan, I own a Smoltz. I haven't owned anything from a Dolphins player that would rival them however.

As a collector, the joy of owning a jersey from a player that just inspires you by his play even though no one else gives him the acolades, makes your collection unique and special to you.

godwulf
10-01-2010, 08:31 PM
FWIW - i'm focusing on Aussie born guys...very common to you guys I guess.

Not only because they are Australian, but I figure they will be the only players I will probably ever meet in my life and that way I can get things signed.

I've been looking for a Trent Oeltjen bat from when he was with the Diamondbacks last year. Really sorry to see him leave. I think he's with the Dodgers, now. I met him at a signing, and he was saying "G'day!" to everyone who walked up to the table; I wanted to ask him if he really said that so much in real life, or if he was just doing it because Americans expected it.

Klattsy
10-02-2010, 06:18 PM
I've been looking for a Trent Oeltjen bat from when he was with the Diamondbacks last year. Really sorry to see him leave. I think he's with the Dodgers, now. I met him at a signing, and he was saying "G'day!" to everyone who walked up to the table; I wanted to ask him if he really said that so much in real life, or if he was just doing it because Americans expected it.

Mate, we literally say it all day. Down here its always a "good day" :D

There was a Oeltjen DBacks jersey on ebay that went for about $150 from a starting bid of $140 I think...not much love there!

He is with Dodgers, i'm keeping an eye on mlb auctions to see if any of his stuff turns up there.

Mark.