PDA

View Full Version : Disposition of Steelers #81 Elbie Nickel jersey and helmet

VERIS#60
02-01-2010, 01:27 AM
Being from a small town in southern Ohio, Chillicothe is another Mayberry. For being such a small town, we have produced some pretty good athletes. Some of the better ones were Neil Johnston(NBA HOF), John Herrnstein(MLB), Greg Cook(Bengals), Dave Juenger(Bears), Garin Veris(NFL), Scott Bailes(MLB), James Dearth(NFL), Ben Hartsock(NFL) and of course Elbie Nickel(Steelers). Since I have such a respect and passion for my community, Ohio's first and third capitol. I only collect game used items of players from Chillicothe. Elbie actually graduated from Mckell High School in Kentucky. Shortly after his senior season his father, a builder, moved the family to the ever growing city of Chillicothe. Mr. Nickel would live the majority of the rest of his life here in the house he and his father built and call this his home.

About 10 years ago I took my son to visit Elbie at his house. What a man, what a visit! Elbie was a great football player, but was an even better man. He answered all of my many questions about the NFL and his game used items. Of which, he said he never kept nor had seen any. The only items he had was 3 game awarded used footballs. After about a two hour visit I took a few photos and received a few autographs. Over the years I stopped by a few times to visit and check up on Mr. Nickel.

Well, today I decided to call Elbie's son Joe and ask a few questions. When I asked if he had ever seen any game used items of his fathers he started to laugh. He said one year late in his career Elbie brought home a jersey and a helmet. I asked him what the jersey looked like. Joe said the jersey was black with gold numbers and stripes on the sleeves. I am now gasping for air....Please hold on. okay. Joe laughed because he used to wear the jersey in junior high football practice. Over the years the jersey was played with so much that they felt it was just a mear rag. Joe is not quite sure whatever happened to the jersey or helmet, but most likely thrown in the trash by his mother.

Sometimes the travels of game used items is more interesting than the item themselves. It is stories like this that keeps up the hope for one of my holy grails. I am now headed to the barn to get my shovel...I will keep you posted.