Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emann
    • Nov 2008

Jerseys w/ misspelled NOB

So, I meant to post this question earlier, but I picked up an interesting jersey at the Fenway yard sale. It is an Ellis Burks jersey from 1994, all correct tagging and shows good use... The odd thing about it is the name on back is spelled "Burkes" (not the correct, Burks).

I'm surprised a player would wear it (and more than once by the condition of it).

I can post pics later if anybody wants to see it. It's certainly an interesting example of an error gamer... Anybody else own misspelled jerseys (or have seen any)?

—emann
    grindcrank@gmail.com
  • legaleagle92481
    Banned
    • Oct 2009

Re: Jerseys w/ misspelled NOB

Originally posted by emann
    So, I meant to post this question earlier, but I picked up an interesting jersey at the Fenway yard sale. It is an Ellis Burks jersey from 1994, all correct tagging and shows good use... The odd thing about it is the name on back is spelled "Burkes" (not the correct, Burks).

I'm surprised a player would wear it (and more than once by the condition of it).

I can post pics later if anybody wants to see it. It's certainly an interesting example of an error gamer... Anybody else own misspelled jerseys (or have seen any)?

—emann
    grindcrank@gmail.com
    Last year Ryan Zimmerman and Adam Dunn played several innings in jerseys that incorrectly spelled "Nationals".

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
      • May 2009

Not exactly misspelled, but last year Darren O'Day wore a Kason Gabbard jersey in his Rangers debut.

Comment

• mbrieve
        • Jul 2008

I saw an Alan Trammell Cubs jersey from last year on eBay that the seller said he purchased at the convention. The jersey had his name spelled "Trammel" and it was claimed that he wore the jersey for a game before they could get him a new one. I have not seen a picture confirming the story...

Comment

• Neely8
          • Apr 2006

When Wayne Gretzky got traded to the Rangers he wore a jersey with his name mispelled Greztky I believe. If it can happen to him then it can happen to anyone!

Comment

• Aloving77
            • Apr 2006

Mike Alstott wore "Alsott" on the back of his jersey for his first two games in the NFL. When he retired the Bucs presented him with a current Bucs jersey and a Bucs jersey that was the style he wore his rookie year. The retirement jersey included the misspelling.

Comment

• allstarsplus
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by legaleagle92481
              Last year Ryan Zimmerman and Adam Dunn played several innings in jerseys that incorrectly spelled "Nationals".
              They were just re-telling that story about how they were told in the dugout (I think the 3rd inning) that they needed to put on new jerseys. One of them said, "Is this a historic game", because the players themselves didn't realize it as it was a fan that alerted the team to the issue of the embroidery mishap of the team name on the front of the jersey.

Like Joel said they auctioned off the Dunn jersey at the Dream Foundation dinner for almost $8,000 last year, and they still have the Zimmerman jersey to auction off.

joelsabi said: someone one here has a jersey where the Nationals is misspelled Natinals and it received national attention. the dunn jersey sold for $8K
              Regards,
              Andrew Lang
              AllstarsPlus@aol.com
              202-716-8500

Comment

• dcgreg25
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by allstarsplus

Like Joel said they auctioned off the Dunn jersey at the Dream Foundation dinner for almost $8,000 last year, and they still have the Zimmerman jersey to auction off.
                You would think they would want to auction off the Zimmerman sooner rather than later. My feeling is that the further you get from the event and news coverage the less aggressive bidders would be. It would be a great item and great conversation piece regardless.

Comment

• allstarsplus
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by dcgreg25
                  You would think they would want to auction off the Zimmerman sooner rather than later. My feeling is that the further you get from the event and news coverage the less aggressive bidders would be. It would be a great item and great conversation piece regardless.
                  Re-attaching my photo. I also checked and the Dunn was $8,500! Zim jersey would go for more than that most likely as they would do it in the "Live" auction and re-hype the whole thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dunn_natinals.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	659409
                  Regards,
                  Andrew Lang
                  AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                  202-716-8500

Comment

• TNTtoys
                    • Aug 2006

It's nice that the Nationals were able to turn a negative into such a positive -- from bad press to a donation of $15-20K to charity...that's pretty damn good in my book!

Only other time I can recall something like this happening in a professional game was when Adam Riggs dressed up in an Angels jersey that said "ANGEES" instead. Does anyone legitimately know what happened to this "piece of history"? There are all sorts of stories and rumors out there...
                    Looking for ...
                    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
                    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
                    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
                      • May 2009

Darren O'Day wearing Gabbard's jersey.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2009

Three I can remember from the good ol' days:

1971 Astros road flannel of the late pitcher, Davr Roberts, with NOB spelled RBOERTS. Supposedly worn in a nationally televised game according to the late Herb Elk, Mr. Houston Sports of the 1970s and '80s.

1986 White Sox home and road knits of Jim Fregosi, NOB spelled FREGSOI.

1977 Giamts ornage knit of Rob Andrews, worn at Wrigley Field and photographed by the Sun-Times, with a front reading SAN FRANCICSO.

Dave M.
                        Chicago area

Comment

• Yamils
                          • Nov 2005

As I am from Venezuela. I remember the case of venezuelan player Eliezer Alfonzo with the Giants:

uniwatchblog.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, uniwatchblog.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I would like to have that jersey!

Comment

• G1X
                            • Nov 2005

Here is my favorite misspelling as it pretty much sums up the World Football League. The WFL is my favorite defunct league, but they just couldn't seem to get things right.

This is a game-used fishnet jersey of Birmingham American's linebacker and team captain Ross Brupbacher who also played a few years with the Chicago Bears. Old-time Bears fans will recognize that they left the letter "p" out of his name.

Mark Hayne
                            Gridiron Exchange
                            gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for WFL and Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Darren Lewis and Willie McGee equipment.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• MileHighFan
                              • Nov 2009

In the 2004 NBA Slam Dunk Contest, Chris Anderson of the Denver Nuggets wore a jersey with his name spelled "Anderson".

The same mistake was made during the NBA's "Green Week" in April of '09, but a quick fix was made to the jersey before gametime. The right side of the "O" was cut off, leaving a "C", and sewn horizontally in the middle to make an "E".

Comment

Working...