PDA

View Full Version : How do you determine SWEET-SPOT Worthy?....or even baseball worthy?...

yankees.stub
02-05-2010, 10:26 AM
(by baseball-worthy, I mean is Joba worthy to sign a baseball or should his autograph just be on photo or ticket item. And as for sweet-spot on the baseball, should he be the center of the attention or ?....)

This question came up when I was at the Steiner show last weekend.

I was waiting to get JOBA CHAMBERLAIN to sign his 1st Game ticket along with a baseball.

A conversation came up with the people on line while we wait for Joba, is he sweet-spot worthy? or better yet, is he even baseball worthy?

My personal takes on the up & coming player who has NOT establish himself yet - IS NOT BASEBALL WORTHY. A decent photo or ticket from the game is more appropriate.

As for sweetspot, I like most if not all my baseball to be signed by the sweet-spot since it will be one signature on it and that is it. But sometime with commemorative ball, it is nicer to have the signature underneath the logo.

Your take on this subject please...

platinum1
02-05-2010, 10:44 AM
(by baseball-worthy, I mean is Joba worthy to sign a baseball or should his autograph just be on photo or ticket item. And as for sweet-spot on the baseball, should he be the center of the attention or ?....)

I was waiting to get JOBA CHAMBERLAIN to sign his 1st Game ticket along with a baseball.

A conversation came up with the people on line while we wait for Joba, is he sweet-spot worthy? or better yet, is he even baseball worthy?

My personal takes on the up & coming player who has NOT establish himself yet - IS NOT BASEBALL WORTHY. A decent photo or ticket from the game is more appropriate.

As for sweetspot, I like most if not all my baseball to be signed by the sweet-spot since it will be one signature on it and that is it. But sometime with commemorative ball, it is nicer to have the signature underneath the logo.

Yankee.stub I'm not trying to be mean here and I hope you dont get offended but I dont understand why you have to start a new thread all the time. You already have 9 threads already and most of them have nothing to do with game used items. If you want to talk about autographs go the the Autograph forum.
Alot of good info gets pushed down and many of us come here to learn about the hobby.
Thanks

BIGSTIG
02-05-2010, 10:44 AM
In my opinion every ball signed should be signed on the sweet spot unless you are attempting to get a team ball signed. If I know of a player who will not sign on th esweet spot, I will not even ask for his autograph (Nomar comes to mind)

As for who is ball worthy, well they are all major league players, more than I can say for myself, so in my eyes if you want their autograph and have a ball, get it signed. I mean I can speak for myself here, I have balls signed by players like Wrick Wrona, Scott Servias, Juan Cruz, Sergio Mitre etc. Did they become superstars, no but at one point I wanted there autograph, so I obtained it. Now other players I just dont care enough to get there autograph, doesnt matter if it is on a ball, photo, bat, or index card. Yes I know OMLB Rawlings balls are 8-14 depending on how many you buy, but you can always get little league balls if you want to go the cheaper route, just know that in 5 years your going to have a blob of blue ink on a ball.

gucollector
02-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Yankee.stub I'm not trying to be mean here and I hope you dont get offended but I dont understand why you have to start a new thread all the time. You already have 9 threads already and most of them have nothing to do with game used items. If you want to talk about autographs go the the Autograph forum.
Alot of good info gets pushed down and many of us come here to learn about the hobby.
Thanks

Thank you!

yankees.stub
02-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Thank you!

Hmmm, getting autograph on a game used items - like Jerseys or baseballs, is NOT educate topic?

platinum1
02-05-2010, 10:54 AM
[quote=yankees.stub;185704]Hmmm, getting autograph on a game used items - like Jerseys or baseballs, is NOT educate topic?

You started this thread asking if Joba is worthy of a sweet spot autograph.
What does that have to do with game used items?

BIGSTIG
02-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Yankees.stub -

I do not believe Platinum or GUcollector are trying to be rude, they are just letting you know that some of the posts, such as CC Sabathia signing in NY, the Evan Longoria signing and this post would be better served in the autograph forum. I know you are new to the thread and if you have any GU related topics we are alll here willing to give our 2 cents, heck some guys/gals will give 3 and 4 cents. If you are not aware of the autograph forum, it is at the top of the screen under forums, there is Game used or autographs.

Nick

yankees.stub
02-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Yankees.stub -

I do not believe Platinum or GUcollector are trying to be rude, they are just letting you know that some of the posts, such as CC Sabathia signing in NY, the Evan Longoria signing and this post would be better served in the autograph forum. I know you are new to the thread and if you have any GU related topics we are alll here willing to give our 2 cents, heck some guys/gals will give 3 and 4 cents. If you are not aware of the autograph forum, it is at the top of the screen under forums, there is Game used or autographs.

Nick

Points will taken...

BIGSTIG
02-05-2010, 11:10 AM
On a side note...welcome to the board!!!

gucollector
02-05-2010, 11:12 AM
[;

yankees.stub
02-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Still have my KEVIN MAAS collections - what the hell was I thinking, since all the talk back then was how great he is going to be!

Got everything MAAS... game bat, jersey - both minor and major, every HR tickets, and oh every HR GAME on vhs...

oh well, you live and learn!

platinum1
02-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Yankees.stub -

Nick
Thanks Nick
I'm not trying to be rude here.
I love to come here and learn the most I can so one day I can be as smart as Dave M.;)
And maybe be able to help other forum members in the future.
So thats why I would like the game used threads to stay on top so that other people that have knowledge in that topic can answer the questions and I can learn something new.

BIGSTIG
02-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks Nick
I'm not trying to be rude here.
I love to come here and learn the most I can so one day I can be as smart as Dave M.;)
And maybe be able to help other forum members in the future.
So thats why I would like the game used threads to stay on top so that other people that have knowledge in that topic can answer the questions and I can learn something new.

No worries platinum, even if you are a sox fan :) I realize your not being rude. Some people just dont realize that this is suppose to be an INFORMATIVE sight. Instead they just want to call people ^^^ and start **** Just a waste of time.

platinum1
02-05-2010, 11:26 AM
No worries platinum, even if you are a sox fan :) I realize your not being rude. Some people just dont realize that this is suppose to be an INFORMATIVE sight. Instead they just want to call people and start **** Just a waste of time.
This has to be the first time a Cub fan and Sox fan has come to an agreement. :D

BIGSTIG
02-05-2010, 11:47 AM
This has to be the first time a Cub fan and Sox fan has come to an agreement. :D

See what a wonderful, magical place this forum is. We should all be lucky to have it

MSpecht
02-05-2010, 12:12 PM
OK---this is a pretty good example of what Chris was saying less than 48 hours ago ---- a member comes on and starts a pretty basic thread and within 5 or 6 posts it takes a sharp downward turn...

If you are relatively new here, CHECK OUT THE VARIOUS BOARDS AVAILABLE. Posting in the most logical area (like Autograph Forum > Baseball for this thread) accomplishes at least two things: 1. It will be seen by people who have a genuine interest in that general topic and 2. It will keep "on topic" threads fresh on the appropriate board for those looking for specific educational threads on a specific aspect of GU collecting.

Most of all, review the forum rules and, in particular , Chris' 2-day-old post. In the immortal words of Rodney King -- "Can't we just all get along?"

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com (Jackitout7@aol.com)

joelsabi
02-05-2010, 12:18 PM
OK---this is a pretty good example of what Chris was saying less than 48 hours ago ---- a member comes on and starts a pretty basic thread and within 5 or 6 posts it takes a sharp downward turn...

If you are relatively new here, CHECK OUT THE VARIOUS BOARDS AVAILABLE. Posting in the most logical area (like Autograph Forum > Baseball for this thread) accomplishes at least two things: 1. It will be seen by people who have a genuine interest in that general topic and 2. It will keep "on topic" threads fresh on the appropriate board for those looking for specific educational threads on a specific aspect of GU collecting.

Most of all, review the forum rules and, in particular , Chris' 2-day-old post. In the immortal words of Rodney King -- "Can't we just all get along?"

thanks. you wonder what motivates someone to have a negative response on only their second post on this forum.

yankees.stub
02-05-2010, 12:27 PM

I agreed .. but before anyone can be or claim to be a GAME USED collector, he/she need to be a fan first, then autograph seeker, then graduate to game used collector.

This topic is certainly related to game used forum.

Just a quick example here, for the person who won the 500th HR ball from Alex Rodriguez (more power to you buddy), and if you have an opportunity to meet Arod, where would you want him to sign the ball?

Since it is such a significant baseball, sweetspot would be the preferred spot since NO ONE else should sign this ball.

On the other hand, if you get one of game used ball from the 500TH HOME RUN game, you can have Alex signed it on the sweetspot and the pitcher who gave up the HR on the side panel.

As for Baseball-worthy, if I have one of those game used baseballs from that game, IT IS NOT BASEBALL-WORTHY, to have just pitcher who gave up the HR to sign - even if he signed it for FREE and I cant AFFORD to get ALEX's signature.

So to those happy go lucky beginner who happened to land on these rarity while folks like me willing to pay a decent amount for it, ends up ruining it and that would be a very sad day!

LastingsMilledge85
02-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Typical Yankee fan lol;)

yankees.stub
02-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Typical Yankee fan lol;)

LOL

You should not talk ... you Lasting Millege fan ... LOL (have a pair of bat gloves from Mets Hey Day)

Gotta love the high-fives he did .... if every players go out and play the game like that, there will be MORE METS fans attending EMPTY-SEATS-STADIUM...lol

Oops, they traded his butt to Nats (I think)

LastingsMilledge85
02-05-2010, 12:57 PM
In case if you didn't know he plays for Pittsburgh now. I wasn't making a personal attack at you and Lastings didn't attack you so, you probably shouldn't knock him as he will be more successful than you and I will ever be.

yankees.stub
02-05-2010, 01:02 PM
In case if you didn't know he plays for Pittsburgh now. I wasn't making a personal attack at you and Lastings didn't attack you so, you probably shouldn't knock him as he will be more successful than you and I will ever be.

:D

but damn it, why do they have to ruin a decent player... send him to the PIRATES...

These are not the same PIRATES as the Clemente or even Maddox's Pirates.

I dont get it - I have relatives that are Pirates fans. They still holding on to the idea that one day the Pirates will return to be a .500 Team.

LastingsMilledge85
02-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Well, the Bucs won't change their fortunes if the management doesn't change. They have produced and possessed some of the most talented players of recent years and when they become too good, they get traded so they can build for the "future."

yankees.stub
02-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Well, the Bucs won't change their fortunes if the management doesn't change. They have produced and possessed some of the most talented players of recent years and when they become too good, they get traded so they can build for the "future."

..... and we have people complaining about the Yankees spending money to build the PRESENT.....

$ doesnt buy championship .... players bring championship home (with money to get the right piece of the puzzle help but it does not guarantee championship)

:)

LastingsMilledge85
02-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Money did buy the Yankees their 27th title. Pittsburgh doesn't like to pay their players much. The highest paid player on the Bucs is Akinori Iwamura, who they received in a trade. I believe he is making just under five million. For the most part, everyone else on that team is paid peanuts to play.

yankees.stub
02-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Money did buy the Yankees their 27th title. Pittsburgh doesn't like to pay their players much. The highest paid player on the Bucs is Akinori Iwamura, who they received in a trade. I believe he is making just under five million. For the most part, everyone else on that team is paid peanuts to play.

So what do you call the METS, RED SOX and the rest of 29 teams who SPEND money to put player on the team and ends up with .... SEE YOU NEXT YEAR ... or WE WILL GET THEM NEXT YEAR .... banner?

And for those who get offended with this semi-off-track quotes and replies, it does related to game used items. I dont know if you guys notice, WS team related game used stuff are much more higher in demand than some lowly teams.

By demand, I meant sought after by collectors or should I called them what they really are ... speculative-businessman (or woman).... I am fall into that category ... Love the items for its sentimental value ... but the love to make a quick exchange on these items to get bills paid ... it's another love!

Just like, I love to SAINTS in the Superbowl because the city of New Orleans can use as much attention as possible. My heart goes out to the city which is trying to rebuild and trying to get the tourists back. But my money will be on the Colts.

:D

Any one care to wage a friendly wager - game used item for game used item ... just for fun.....

ah, let's not .. cuz it might offended the non-gambling-challenge members out there.

LastingsMilledge85
02-05-2010, 02:54 PM
So what do you call the METS, RED SOX and the rest of 29 teams who SPEND money to put player on the team and ends up with .... SEE YOU NEXT YEAR ... or WE WILL GET THEM NEXT YEAR .... banner?

You couldn't be more wrong. Not every team is a buyer in the offseason. Some are sellers, others do nothing. For instance, other than acquiring Soriano, what have the Rays done? Toronto was a seller with Halladay, to clear cap room. Pittsburgh is mostly a seller at midseason and will be again this year. Not every team goes into the new season and say we're going to win the pennant. The Pirates are trying to have a winning season, as well as Washington, and Kansas City. They know they don't have the money to compete with teams in their division, but they set smaller, reasonable goals. Honestly, it isn't fair to the Orioles or Blue Jays or Rays to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox salary, but they make the most of their situation. The Rays and Orioles are producing most of their own players unlike the Yankees and Red Sox. The Red Sox produce wonderful prospects, but trade them for "win now" guys like dealing away Hanley Ramirez, Anibal Sanchez, and others for Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell.

Boy, this diverted a lot from the original topic.

joelsabi
02-05-2010, 05:24 PM

Sweet spot worthy...

on a single signed baseball, I think any baseball player is worthy. they have made it to THE SHOW why not? Just use the right baseball. no allstar baseball for a non all star. No world series baseball for a players who didn't go to the series.

if you plan to get additional sigs on the same ball then you gotta plan it out, you gotta remind the player you intent with the baseball. "will you please save the sweet spot for your manager, Joe Giraldi. i would appreciate it."

most team baseball you wanna reserve the sweet spot for the manager. if its a special themed baseball you wanna go with the team captain. for example if you have a big red machine baseball you want reserve for Pete Rose on the sweet spot. Luckily Rose isnt particular if Morgan or Bench got to the sweet spot first.

if its a special club baseball such as a 500 club baseball, you could reserve the sweet spot for the person who first was on the team or you could go with your favorite but you have to be careful because egos can get in the way of getting the rest of the other autographs you want. the 500 club show in the early 1990's come to mind. Williams then Mays then Mantle then Aaron became part of this club. All four players would try to sign on the sweet spot if there was space. Some one on the forum mentioned horror stories if Mays did not get the sweet spot, he would deface the baseball.

Anyone go to the 500 club show back in the 90's? how did they line up the players? was it like an assembly line and if yes, who would be the first 5 players to see the baseball.

yankees.stub
02-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the insight..

What would you do if when you request and the player do something otherwise?

One experience I will never forget. And it's related to the Yankees.

Let's get to the point ... Reggie Jackson, when I asked him to sign in a certain spot on a particular baseball, instead of signing where I have requested, the knucklehead oversigned Rod Carew .... I was bleeping up the storm until the security comes and have to escort me away from the table.... At least, in the end, the show sponsor didnt want to have a mess, they refunded my autograph fees along with the fees for Carew and they gave me another ball.

Till this day, every time I see or about going to see him, I curse under my breath and tell everyone who ever ask.... what was the worst experiences with a jerk-off athlete....

Sweet spot worthy...

on a single signed baseball, I think any baseball player is worthy. they have made it to THE SHOW why not? Just use the right baseball. no allstar baseball for a non all star. No world series baseball for a players who didn't go to the series.

if you plan to get additional sigs on the same ball then you gotta plan it out, you gotta remind the player you intent with the baseball. "will you please save the sweet spot for your manager, Joe Giraldi. i would appreciate it."

most team baseball you wanna reserve the sweet spot for the manager. if its a special themed baseball you wanna go with the team captain. for example if you have a big red machine baseball you want reserve for Pete Rose on the sweet spot. Luckily Rose isnt particular if Morgan or Bench got to the sweet spot first.

if its a special club baseball such as a 500 club baseball, you could reserve the sweet spot for the person who first was on the team or you could go with your favorite but you have to be careful because egos can get in the way of getting the rest of the other autographs you want. the 500 club show in the early 1990's come to mind. Williams then Mays then Mantle then Aaron became part of this club. All four players would try to sign on the sweet spot if there was space. Some one on the forum mentioned horror stories if Mays did not get the sweet spot, he would deface the baseball.

Anyone go to the 500 club show back in the 90's? how did they line up the players? was it like an assembly line and if yes, who would be the first 5 players to see the baseball.