PDA

View Full Version : What does being selected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame do to the player's game worn value?

Larry Pelliccioni
02-07-2010, 11:33 AM
I have a game worn jersey in my collection of Detroit Lions #44 Dick Lebeau who yesterday was selected for enshrinement into Pro Football's Hall of Fame.
Although I have never thought of selling it I estimated it's value at around $600-$800 because of the dureen nature of the jersey, the unique color and striping that was only around for a season or two and although I am not interested in selling it now I am curious to know the opinions one may have about what does his selection to the Hall of Fame do to the value of his jersey.
Larry Pelliccioni

allstarsplus
02-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Great thread. This was a discussion on Sports Radio yesterday with regards to players needing the HOF to keep their autographs in demand.

Larry, it has to add tremendous value just in the increase in demand for people that want Hall of Fame game used items. Art Monk's items saw an increase after his enshrinement.

joelsabi
02-07-2010, 11:54 AM
I have a game worn jersey in my collection of Detroit Lions #44 Dick Lebeau who yesterday was selected for enshrinement into Pro Football's Hall of Fame.
Although I have never thought of selling it I estimated it's value at around $600-$800 because of the dureen nature of the jersey, the unique color and striping that was only around for a season or two and although I am not interested in selling it now I am curious to know the opinions one may have about what does his selection to the Hall of Fame do to the value of his jersey.
Larry Pelliccioni

i dont know anything about the football market, but i imagine there would now be spike since now there would be interest from football HOF collectors. there is now a market for his signature too that would not otherwise have happened. may be a good time to sell while his name is prominent in the news.

legaleagle92481
02-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Larry Pelliccioni

I think it raises it alot. For some players it is a foregone conclusion that they will go to the Hall. Is anyone surprised Rice or Emmitt got in? Did anyone think for a second that they would not? So their HOF induction is pretty much priced into the value of their items before the formality of their induction is announced. With Lebeau there was doubt if he would ever get in and it has been many years since he played. The HOF is the top of the mountain for an athlete and gives his career immortality and alot of people especially deep pocketed collectors make it the basis for their collection. When someone who played a long time ago is not a HOfer he gets forgotten and even though he had a great career there is much less demand than there is for current players or HOFers from the collecting public as a whole. Plus how many Lebeau's are out there on the market that are legit? There was no JO Sports or NFL Auctions or any other dealers back then to make the jerseys available to the public, most of them probably got tossed away eventually. So the rarity of the item along with the now much increased desirability raises the price alot in my mind, especially in the months leading up to the induction when he and the other guys who got inducted will be in the news alot.

joelsabi
02-07-2010, 12:18 PM
I think it raises it alot. For some players it is a foregone conclusion that they will go to the Hall. Is anyone surprised Rice or Emmitt got in? Did anyone think for a second that they would not? So their HOF induction is pretty much priced into the value of their items before the formality of their induction is announced. With Lebeau there was doubt if he would ever get in and it has been many years since he played. The HOF is the top of the mountain for an athlete and gives his career immortality and alot of people especially deep pocketed collectors make it the basis for their collection. When someone who played a long time ago is not a HOfer he gets forgotten and even though he had a great career there is much less demand than there is for current players or HOFers from the collecting public as a whole. Plus how many Lebeau's are out there on the market that are legit? There was no JO Sports or NFL Auctions or any other dealers back then to make the jerseys available to the public, most of them probably got tossed away eventually. So the rarity of the item along with the now much increased desirability raises the price alot in my mind, especially in the months leading up to the induction when he and the other guys who got inducted will be in the news alot.

honestly i only knew him as an assistant coach for the steelers and some announcer mentioning he played. otherwise i had no clue he was even in contention. if the psa registry for hall of fame collecting set in football is any indication people are scrambling for his rookie football card now, there is a serious spike. Same thing happened when with Joe DeLamielleure RC when he was announced last year.

legaleagle92481
02-08-2010, 01:37 AM
honestly i only knew him as an assistant coach for the steelers and some announcer mentioning he played. otherwise i had no clue he was even in contention. if the psa registry for hall of fame collecting set in football is any indication people are scrambling for his rookie football card now, there is a serious spike. Same thing happened when with Joe DeLamielleure RC when he was announced last year.

The Football Hall of Fame tends to throw curveballs. Elvin Bertha, Roger Wehril, Emmitt Thomas, Bob Brown, Gene Hickerson and as you mention Joe DeLamielleure have all been recent picks that many people knew precious little about previously.

UGA-1
02-08-2010, 07:19 AM
I also wonder if he even has any equipment to donate to the Hall for his display? I'm sure there are not many of his items around given the nature of that period where football was not as popular and teams had to use equipment until it was unusable. You might want to contact the Hall somehow and see if they can connect you with him. Never know?

Larry Pelliccioni
05-04-2010, 06:02 AM
This morning, on vacation in Palm Coast Florida I reread this post. I have been away awhile but I really enjoyed the insight and comments others have shared on this subject.
What resonated with me was bringing up Joe DeLamielleure. I also have one of his jerseys, a white Cleveland Browns but what spoke to me was "Johnny's Pool Hall" in Center Line Michigan where I first met Joe. We grew up in the same city although Joe attended the Catholic school, St. Clements and I the public school.
He was always a cool cat. As I recall, Joe played football in high school and besides being a great athelete, I never wanted to draw him into a pool game.
Just wanting to share and thank those that have posted their opinions on this thread.
Larry Pelliccioni

bigben7
05-04-2010, 06:26 AM
Larry, let me know if you are interested in selling the Lebeau jersey. I am very interested.