PDA

View Full Version : Mlb Authenticated Items Used After Being Authenticated

tigerdale
02-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Here's an example or two of items still being used after being MLB authenticated....
The first is this Gerald Laird helmet. I took this picture off a previous post when the tigers played the twins last October in the tie breaker game. A lot of us noticed the authentication sticker under the bill on Lairds helmet when he was batting.....turns out the helmet (along w/ the other tigers helmets) were authenticated after their last road game Sept 27th....all being used again on the road for the tie breaker game.

tigerdale
02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
another example is this Craig Monroe helmet...........this is authenticated from the ALDS in 2006 in New York. I had heard rumor that these were most likely their ALCS & world series helmets too. This was before the tigers had a full blown authentics department. I had photomatced this ALDS helmet to a photo of Monroe in game 3 of the world series at St. Louis.

joelsabi
02-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Here's an example or two of items still being used after being MLB authenticated....
The first is this Gerald Laird helmet. I took this picture off a previous post when the tigers played the twins last October in the tie breaker game. A lot of us noticed the authentication sticker under the bill on Lairds helmet when he was batting.....turns out the helmet (along w/ the other tigers helmets) were authenticated after their last road game Sept 27th....all being used again on the road for the tie breaker game.

great example. this is a rare occurrence but in this instance (tie breaker game) it makes sense. why use another helmet if you have a perfectly good helmet available for use. did you notice any other sticker on other equpment from that day like on a jersey? helmets are rare so maybe that is why while a player may have 2 jerseys available for that day.

tigerdale
02-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I didn't notice any others, the Laird one stuck out so much on TV. If the tigers had made the playoffs, I'm sure most guys would have still worn their same helmets too. Someone once told me, when a team gets into the playoffs, MLB will send their own authenticaters in to do the games, I dont know if thats true or not. I guess on the tigers end, you would have to authenticated after the last road game, so the authenticaters could put game used....if they would have waited & not made the playoffs...the authenticaters wouldn't have seen the items come off the field.

LastingsMilledge85
02-08-2010, 12:14 PM
The Holo on the Laird helmet is not the authenticated holo, it's te officially licensed product holo which is usually found on the inside of helmets, his just happens to be on the brim.

LastingsMilledge85
02-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Nevet mind didn't see your picture of the helmet, my bad.

yanks12025
02-08-2010, 12:16 PM
The Holo on the Laird helmet is not the authenticated holo, it's te officially licensed product holo which is usually found on the inside of helmets, his just happens to be on the brim.

No its the mlb hologram, because you can see the other one inside the helmet.

Fnazxc0114
06-18-2010, 05:59 PM
I recently picked up justin smoaks first career hit and hr bat from mlb auctions. While looking at footage of the both games i was also able to photomatch the bat. The grain as well as the blue spots match up in both at bats. I found it strange while watching the first homerun at bat you can see that the holo for first hit is already attached to the handle of the bat. there currently is a 12 on the knob and i am pretty certain it was written after the fact.

STLHAMMER32
06-19-2010, 07:21 AM
I recently picked up justin smoaks first career hit and hr bat from mlb auctions. While looking at footage of the both games i was also able to photomatch the bat. The grain as well as the blue spots match up in both at bats. I found it strange while watching the first homerun at bat you can see that the holo for first hit is already attached to the handle of the bat. there currently is a 12 on the knob and i am pretty certain it was written after the fact.

Congrats on the pickup Josh, tremendous bat to have especially if Justin puts together a decent career. To have a chance to get a bat like that is pretty rare especially from a nice prospect!

tigerdale
06-19-2010, 08:33 AM
awesome bat pickup!!

coxfan
06-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Hologramming a bat that was part of a milestone, but the player still wants to use, is an interesting but risky idea. (The hologram may be damaged or obscured by later use.)

I have seen items that had one hologram, but two citations: Eg when a fan bought a milestone bat or ball, then later had it autographed with an authenticator present, the hologram would be given a second citation in the database (adding the autograph) rather than a new hologram. That could potentially occur with a bat that's already hologrammed, if it is then used in another milestone.

Justin Smoak was a South Carolina Gamecock, playing on a field that was less than a half-mile from the minor-league field used by Ron Washington when he was a minor-league manager in Columbia. The two fields can be seen from each other, and I can see them both from my high-rise condo. Since my daughter and her family live in Arlington, I've several reasons to pull for the Rangers.

When Justin was a Gamecock, his choice of a batters' tune to play on the loudspeaker when he came to bat was "Just a good ol' boy."

ironmanfan
06-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Smoak also went to HS with the Orioles' Matt Wieters........That should have been a decent club!

Sabresfreak
06-19-2010, 12:59 PM
I noticed what I thought was a mlb holo on Longorias bat so I paused the game and took some pictures of it. This was from a game against the Yankees earlier in the season.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/sabrefreak99/DSC01113.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/sabrefreak99/DSC01114.jpg

caffeinated2003
06-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Hey Fnazxc0114 I was wondering if you could help me?

metsbats
06-19-2010, 09:14 PM
The only time I've seen a MLB hologram on an item in a stadium was during 2008 during the final week of the season at Shea. MLB placed their hologram on all 55,000K seats prior to the end of the season.

Actually putting a hologram on a bat before a player uses it may be a way MLB can 100% ensure they are getting the correct bat from a player after that game. I can see this making the authentication process more foolproof.

Just a thought.

joelsabi
05-13-2012, 01:01 PM
http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/article_external/fire_works_hamilton_darvish_lead_rangers_to_series _opening_win_over_angels/10777211

"They put a sticker on the end of my bat, kind of saying that this one’s done. But I’m still using it. Until it breaks.”

Not a closeup photo but looks like a MLB hologram bat he is swinging at last night's game. This is the same bat he used to hit 4 HR in a game.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/texas-rangers-center-fielder-josh-hamilton-reacts-after-news-photo/144253073

cjclong
05-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Saw in the Dallas paper today that Josh Hamilton's 4 home run bat was authenticated after the game and that he said he intends to continue to use it until it breaks. Don't know what the future intent is if that happens.

5toolplayer
05-13-2012, 04:07 PM
It's going to the HOF. The Rangers announcers said Hamilton gave the HOF his Uniform and Cleats but told them they couldn't have the bat until after he cracked it

baseballfan0721
05-13-2012, 11:14 PM
It is cracked happened tonight ! Its going to the HOF I bet he wish he could keep it .

Armando V

mvillafuerte0721@gmail.com

collects anything Rangers

jake33
06-18-2012, 01:56 PM
http://rays.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21402427&c_id=mlb

authenticated in the second inning....

at 0:36 mark on the video, appears to have the hologram on the bat knob in the 8th inning of the same game.

marino13
06-19-2012, 02:45 PM

authenticated in the second inning....

at 0:36 mark on the video, appears to have the hologram on the bat knob in the 8th inning of the same game.

It is a nice concept, but what if the player chooses a different bat and never used the pre-authenticated bat during the game, what happen then?

Do they simply just remove the hologram? This would cause a lot of not-found on MLB database. Or do they just simply correct the info when the bat actually being used during another game?

This would cause alot of headaches for "non photo-matched" and no evidence of video results ....

jake33
06-19-2012, 03:14 PM
I would be very suprised if they ever pre-authenticated an item, that would open a huge can of worms.

By doing a pre authentication, they couldn't authenticate to a specific event within the game, which seems to be getting bigger every year.