PDA

View Full Version : Rare Sports Happening on South Side

sox83cubs84
02-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Not unprecedented, though very rare in pro sports, a team has unretired a jersey number for a current player. The White Sox, with Luis Aparicio's blessing, have unretired the Hall of Famer's #11 Chisox jersey to allow newcomer Omar Vizquel to wear it in 2010.

Both Aparicio and Vizquel are shortstops, both are Venezuelans, Aparicio is in Cooperstown, and Vizquel has a very good chance of one day joining him.

Occurring a handful of times, previous number unretirements in pro sports that I am aware of include the following:

The Sox again, mothballing Harold Baines' #3 following his trade to Texas in 1989, then re-issuing it to him when he returned to the club several yars later.

The Seattle Seahawks, asking for and receiving permission from, Steve Largent when Jerry Rice joined the team and sought to wear #80.

The Philadelphia 76ers, where, again with the retiree's OK, broke out Billy Cunningham's #32 Sixers jersey and allowed Charles Barkley (normally #34 in Philly) to wear the number for one season as a tribute to the then just-retired Magic Johnson.

Can anyone think of any other similar occurrences?

Dave Miedema
Chicago area

legaleagle92481
02-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Not unprecedented, though very rare in pro sports, a team has unretired a jersey number for a current player. The White Sox, with Luis Aparicio's blessing, have unretired the Hall of Famer's #11 Chisox jersey to allow newcomer Omar Vizquel to wear it in 2010.

Both Aparicio and Vizquel are shortstops, both are Venezuelans, Aparicio is in Cooperstown, and Vizquel has a very good chance of one day joining him.

Occurring a handful of times, previous number unretirements in pro sports that I am aware of include the following:

The Sox again, mothballing Harold Baines' #3 following his trade to Texas in 1989, then re-issuing it to him when he returned to the club several yars later.

The Seattle Seahawks, asking for and receiving permission from, Steve Largent when Jerry Rice joined the team and sought to wear #80.

The Philadelphia 76ers, where, again with the retiree's OK, broke out Billy Cunningham's #32 Sixers jersey and allowed Charles Barkley (normally #34 in Philly) to wear the number for one season as a tribute to the then just-retired Magic Johnson.

Can anyone think of any other similar occurrences?

Dave Miedema
Chicago area

Didn't Jordan have his number 23 retired during his first retirement then he came back wearing 45 before they unretired 23 for him to resume wearing?

pietraynor
02-08-2010, 04:50 PM
On a college note, I think it was Andy Katzenmoyer that wore Archie Griffin's #45 at Ohio State after making a request several years back. Jay.

sox83cubs84
02-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Didn't Jordan have his number 23 retired during his first retirement then he came back wearing 45 before they unretired 23 for him to resume wearing?

I am not certain if MJ's #23 was retired after his first retirement or not. The wearing of #45 was his decision, and lasted only for the few months he played in early 1995. The NBA was fining him repeatedly because he would not wear #23 during the playoffs (apparently something to do with unsold merchandise).

Dave M.
Chicago area

metsbats
02-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Every April MLB unretires Jackie Robinson's no. 42 and everyone on every team wears it.

legaleagle92481
02-10-2010, 12:56 AM
I am not certain if MJ's #23 was retired after his first retirement or not. The wearing of #45 was his decision, and lasted only for the few months he played in early 1995. The NBA was fining him repeatedly because he would not wear #23 during the playoffs (apparently something to do with unsold merchandise).

Dave M.
Chicago area

It was so long ago I am not certain either I googled it this morning and what I found said it was.

commando
02-10-2010, 01:34 AM
The saints retired the number 81 many years ago in honor of Hall of Fame defensive end Doug Atkins, but several wide receivers have worn the number since.

sox83cubs84
02-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Joel Alpert, who has been involved with Bulls memorabilia since the 1990s dynasty, emailed to inform me that MJ's #23 WAS, indded, retired after his first depoarture from the NBA. It was unretired for the 1995-96 season. Thanks, J.A.!:)

Dave M.
Chicago area