PDA

View Full Version : Was the 1983 Pro Bowl played in the last three weeks?

TomTimmerman
02-09-2010, 02:58 PM
It must have been, because davids_advertising has Joe Theismann's game worn jersey:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-JOE-THEISMANN-PRO-BOWL-JERSEY-80s-WILSON-SZ-44_W0QQitemZ260548016102QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item3ca9df37e6

which he purchased on Jan 16 without "THEISMANN" on the back:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290389826223

The only thing I can figure is this:
He bought the jersey on Jan 16, added Theismann to the jersey, assembled the 1983 Pro Bowl Teams, and played the game. Why wasn't that on SportsCenter?

I'm still awaiting his answer.

TT

bigtruck260
02-09-2010, 03:15 PM
It must have been, because davids_advertising has Joe Theismann's game worn jersey:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-JOE-THEISMANN-PRO-BOWL-JERSEY-80s-WILSON-SZ-44_W0QQitemZ260548016102QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item3ca9df37e6

which he purchased on Jan 16 without "THEISMANN" on the back:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290389826223

The only thing I can figure is this:
He bought the jersey on Jan 16, added Theismann to the jersey, assembled the 1983 Pro Bowl Teams, and played the game. Why wasn't that on SportsCenter?

I'm still awaiting his answer.

TT

Tom - are you from St. Louis?

TomTimmerman
02-09-2010, 03:21 PM
No, that's Tom Timmermann (like the former Tiger). I'm a one 'n' Timmerman.

TT

34swtns
02-10-2010, 06:55 AM
I don't care if you're from Timbuktoo, Tom, that's some awesome detective work.

Those 2 listings are obviously the same jersey and being that the lettering on those old jerseys was so simplistic in color and font style it would be super easy to have one attributed quickly.

TomTimmerman
02-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Received this response:
"we have desided not to sell the jersey. we have 2 . one has a blank back and we have this one. we only want to be a honest trust worthy people , and must stay away from anything that might look fishy. so we have desided to remove the jersey. we also should have listed more photos of both and both backs a the coa from lou lampson. thanks for looking and sorry the jersey is no longer forsale."

commando
02-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Please tell me there's no way in HELL that Lou Lampson would give a COA to this jersey. Retail jerseys from the early 1980s Pro Bowls were made for Joe Theismann (blue National jersey #7) and Dan Fouts (white American jersey #14), and can be found on just about any street corner.

bigtruck260
02-10-2010, 01:15 PM
I see this exact kind of switcheroo on eBay all the time. In fact, it's what keeps me out of the jersey hobby. It gets even more muddied when the buyer/seller has 3-4 eBay accounts. Nice job Tom.

ironmanfan
02-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Please tell me there's no way in HELL that Lou Lampson would give a COA to this jersey. Retail jerseys from the early 1980s Pro Bowls were made for Joe Theismann (blue National jersey #7) and Dan Fouts (white American jersey #14), and can be found on just about any street corner.

I think you're giving Lampson MUCH too credit

TomTimmerman
02-10-2010, 03:57 PM
David wasn't really happy about me posting his response here. He says he didn't make a post here because he didn't want me to know his ID. I offered him this deal: Send me a picture showing both of his jerseys, and I would post it here along with a full and humble apology. Easy right? Here's his response to my offer:

how about this, i dont owe you anything. i have wasted more time than i should have already. you are not the jersey God so i really dont care what you think. im glad however you pointed out a possible mistake on our part and we fixed it right away. and thats all that matters. and really if you have the need and it makes you feel popular or manly to post things on the forum about something that was taken care of go ahead. there is alot of people that try to sell fake stuff and even after people say something they still keep on selling it. those are the people you should be talking about. either way thanks for bringing this to the front and we handled it the only way we could. good day.

By the way, I don't do a lot of these "investigations". I stumbled upon this one accidentally when looking into some other shenanigans.