PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation to Reslove GUU Drama

3arod13
02-09-2010, 07:47 PM
With all the drama threads going on, I would like to make the following recommendation.

Add a "Chat" section. This section is for whatever sports related chat people want.

The other sections are used for only what they are intended for.

Bottom line, you can't get away from people wanting to chat about whatever. If you add this section, it will elimate a lot of the bull crap that goes on.

If someone enters the other forums outside what it's intended for, then drop them like a hammer on a nail.

I to get sick of all the drama. It's a waste of time and the personal attacks on others are uncalled for.

Just my two cents.

Regards, Tony

markfd
02-09-2010, 07:50 PM
I second you two cents, some weird threads lately, so that makes $.04

justinwc80
02-09-2010, 08:23 PM
I agree, its a shame, a chat section would be great for some of the off topic conversations we all might enjoy at some point. I'm sure I've been guilty of being OT as well, but a place where this can be done without muddying up the academic portion couldn't hurt. I've learned alot from this forum and met some great collectors whom I have purchased items from and gotten great insight from and I will always appreciate it. It does seem that the educational part has been getting watered down though. Lastly thanks for all the insight and knowledge from you guys.

intheminors
02-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Respectfully, I disagree.

We need to stop responding to those people. Flat out... Just stop participating in the banter. Let the mods ban them. Just report them every time they get out of hand and leave it to the mods.

I strongly suggest that we have a link that verifies e-mail addresses when new users sign up. I can't imagine that it would take that much but I truly have no idea what it would consist of strategically. I can't remember if JO Sports has that technology where when you sign up for their e-mail list, JO sends a verification link to your e-mail. You simply click on the link and it verifies that you are, well, you (or at least own that e-mail address). But, since the Mods have a relationship with them, maybe the two organizations could have a discussion about it.

If the trouble makers continue to open new e-mail addresses to create new GUU accounts, so be it. They're wasting their own time, not ours (if we don't let them).

The only other possible solution I could think of is to only let new members post in the "For Sale" and "Wanted" sections until they reach a certain number of posts. Again, that's one more thing the mods would have to deal with. I don't know if it's possible to lock an account until they reach, let's say, 50 posts and then that user is unlocked to post in other places.

I have no beef with Tony (we even tried to meet up with each other at my work a year or so ago. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. I'd still like to shake hands with him). I just see the chat session as a free-for-all in name-calling, bashing and all-around childish behavior that will eventually find it's way back to the main part of GUU.

Just my two cents. I'm not going to second anyone's two cents because I can't add that high.

Thanks.

joelsabi
02-09-2010, 08:59 PM

We need to stop responding to those people. Flat out... Just stop participating in the banter. Let the mods ban them. Just report them every time they get out of hand and leave it to the mods.

I strongly suggest that we have a link that verifies e-mail addresses when new users sign up. I can't imagine that it would take that much but I truly have no idea what it would consist of strategically. I can't remember if JO Sports has that technology where when you sign up for their e-mail list, JO sends a verification link to your e-mail. You simply click on the link and it verifies that you are, well, you (or at least own that e-mail address). But, since the Mods have a relationship with them, maybe the two organizations could have a discussion about it.

If the trouble makers continue to open new e-mail addresses to create new GUU accounts, so be it. They're wasting their own time, not ours (if we don't let them).

The only other possible solution I could think of is to only let new members post in the "For Sale" and "Wanted" sections until they reach a certain number of posts. Again, that's one more thing the mods would have to deal with. I don't know if it's possible to lock an account until they reach, let's say, 50 posts and then that user is unlocked to post in other places.

I have no beef with Tony (we even tried to meet up with each other at my work a year or so ago. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. I'd still like to shake hands with him). I just see the chat session as a free-for-all in name-calling, bashing and all-around childish behavior that will eventually find it's way back to the main part of GUU.

Just my two cents. I'm not going to second anyone's two cents because I can't add that high.

Thanks.

I agree. You should not be able to sign up with an email account that can be registered from a public site like gmail, yahoo, hotmail otherwise the person can just repeatedly get a new email account. make it a email account that traces to a specific person like a work email or even an email from your cable company.

stretch
02-09-2010, 09:54 PM
I am very familiar with forums online and while I have no idea what the total user count is on this board, I doubt the chat would be active enough.

Another idea is to start a live (or prerecorded) live chat like sports talk stations do on the radio. A show can have a couple host, there is a call line so people can ask question, and this can be done for free. This would possibly be interesting to do once a week or once a month. The shows are saved once they are completed, so we can go back to them, and all of this is free. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/

It would also promote the site.

2 Cents

punch
02-09-2010, 09:55 PM
I am very familiar with forums online and while I have no idea what the total user count is on this board, I doubt the chat would be active enough.

Another idea is to start a live (or prerecorded) live chat like sports talk stations do on the radio. A show can have a couple host, there is a call line so people can ask question, and this can be done for free. This would possibly be interesting to do once a week or once a month. The shows are saved once they are completed, so we can go back to them, and all of this is free. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/

It would also promote the site.

2 Cents

Sounds like maybe you're saying a game-used hobby podcast or something. That would be interesting.

bigtruck260
02-09-2010, 10:56 PM

Thanks.

Both of you are good people - and there is a happy medium between both of your suggestions.

I like the idea of several mods policing the boards all day long. I would volunteer if I thought that I could do it at will - but I work during the day and have the kids at night...sigh.

Hopefully, Chris gets some good help and is able to delegate some moderation duties.

platinum1
02-10-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm just happy something is FINALLY getting done.

Nathan
02-10-2010, 11:56 AM
I think a bigger problem has been the fact that as the acid and stupidity has accumulated over a number of years, it's driven away a number of quality posters who actually would like to discuss issues, items, and pretty much anything else. I'm not going to act like I'm a quality member or someone irreplaceable, but I got to a point of scanning the boards maybe once a week, seeing very little or nothing of value, and moving on. That's been over the last year or more that I've done that.

But I think the biggest problem ultimately comes down to the fact that too many people have been acting like high schoolers. Actually, that gives way too much credit...middle schoolers at best. There'd be a discussion on something, and someone with a personal issue with a participant would air their dirty laundry and the whole thing would just degenerate. Or someone would post something that was sent in an email on the boards and trigger a huge argument that way.

Regrettably, I think those bridges may have been burned for good. So unless there's a way to both clean out the trash and get the best of the hobby back into the fold, this is all empty talk and will never progress beyond that point.

3arod13
02-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Well, I tried. I wish it could go back to the way it was when I first joined this site a few years ago. The biggest arguments (debates) were over whether an item was authentic or not. Not many personal attacks like today.

I wish everyone would stop getting so personal. We all have our own views and attitudes about things. I just think many can use better judgment when responding or posting.

Good luck!

Regards, Tony

TriplexXxSports
02-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Well, I tried. I wish it could go back to the way it was when I first joined this site a few years ago. The biggest arguments (debates) were over whether an item was authentic or not. Not many personal attacks like today.

I wish everyone would stop getting so personal. We all have our own views and attitudes about things. I just think many can use better judgment when responding or posting.

Good luck!

Regards, Tony

Tony, nice signature.....where did you get it? Do you even know where that was taken from? Imitation is the ultimate form of flattery!

Vintagedeputy
02-10-2010, 09:49 PM
I sure would like to know what I missed.

Take a day off from here and all kinds of drama occurs!

Genke
02-10-2010, 11:07 PM
I sure would like to know what I missed.

Take a day off from here and all kinds of drama occurs!

Let me take a shot at this for you............

-yankees.stub continued to ramble in a relentless manner about meaningless subjects that continued to irritate forum members;

-nice long-standing forum members did their best to discuss what would stop all of the drama on the site on no fewer than three different posts;

-both-teams-played-hard fired off a couple of funny pictures to rub in the point of the thread

-frikativ54 thought she had identified a newer member as one who was recently banned, but was wrong as pointed out by Andrew Lang;

-yankees.stub, the member frikativ54 had wrongly id'd went on a rant against a few members adding to the mess;

-bigtruck260 posted to stress the rediculous nature of the attack on the forum by yankees'stub;

-Chris Cavalier finally got it, and banned the guy;

-frikativ54 got butt-hurt again by Andrew exposing her doing exactly what she continually posts that no one else should do, which in not accuse members without proof, and she couldn't handle it, made a few nasty comments about the site, and promised she was done with the site once again

Pretty much, business as usual.........another typical day on "As the forum grumbles".

both-teams-played-hard
02-10-2010, 11:40 PM
-both-teams-played-hard fired off a couple of funny pictures to rub in the point of the thread

I must defend myself. I never posted any photos in response to the banned member in question. I did post a photo showing how to remove a watermark, which was on-topic to the thread.
In the spirit of the forum, I pulled this one out of the archive:
http://i47.tinypic.com/fvkcvp.jpg

The drama on these said threads, was like a Disney film on hot milk......ZZZZZZZZZ

frikativ54
02-10-2010, 11:53 PM
frikativ54 thought she had identified a newer member as one who was recently banned, but was wrong as pointed out by Andrew Lang;

I was wrong? How do you know, buster? Er...Buster!

-bigtruck260 posted to stress the rediculous nature of the attack on the forum by yankees'stub;

Learn how to spell "ridiculous". That misspelling is a dead giveaway. How many times are you going to come back under different names?

-frikativ54 got butt-hurt again by Andrew exposing her doing exactly what she continually posts that no one else should do, which in not accuse members without proof, and she couldn't handle it, made a few nasty comments about the site, and promised she was done with the site once again

Stop going from thread to thread trolling me and baiting me at every move. As a junior member, you sure seem to have a lot of stake in the goings on of this forum. I wasn't going to post, but I will not stand for my name being trashed like this on a public forum.

jppopma
02-11-2010, 03:50 AM
My suggestion to ease the drama…..lets set up a GUU cage fight and let people put their money where their mouths are.

Les, Respectfully take a pill and try to calm down. You are very passionate about a lot of things…but it all leads to a bunch of the drama that everyone is trying to weed out. Just because somebody does not agree with you, does not mean that they are trashing you or calling you out. I have made some pretty blatant errors in past post and been blasted hard on it. I have also resolved to agree to disagree with members on issues as well.

Additionally, let me say that I don’t care about people’s misspellings or other grammar errors. If I can understand what they are saying that’s good enough for me. Same goes with the big words…I learned them all in college, then made it into the real world and was taught the KISS rule.

These are just some friendly suggestions to help you avoid conflict and help me from having to read all of the drama.

As for everything else…I don’t mind the OT threads as I can choose to open them or pass over them. The part that drives me away (often for months at a time) is all of the tit for tat, “real” personal attacks, and other random things that derail the topic. There is nothing worse than reading a good thread for post 1-4, then 5-17 as a bunch of random BS, 18 being the best reply, then 19-23 as more BS….just too much to wade through.

3arod13
02-11-2010, 04:05 AM
Tony, nice signature.....where did you get it? Do you even know where that was taken from? Imitation is the ultimate form of flattery!

I was wondering when yoiu were going to catch that. I copied your signature right after the Yankees won the World Series.

Forgot to say thanks!! :)

Regards, Tony

TriplexXxSports
02-11-2010, 06:46 AM
I was wondering when yoiu were going to catch that. I copied your signature right after the Yankees won the World Series.

Forgot to say thanks!! :)
Regards, Tony

LOL, no problem. My lack of interest in these threads has kept me away lately so, yeah, I never noticed until yesterday.

It is actually a quote from the greatest Ditka movie ever - Kicking & Screaming w/ Will Ferrell. Ditka ends up coaching a kids soccer league and at a banquet he ends up spouting off that quote. Well of course he said it without any of that Yankees garbage in it.....;)

legaleagle92481
02-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Here is my idea: To prevent banned members from returning under a new alias, they could require that anyone who seeks to sign up provide a telephone number and before registeration is effective and they can post, one of the members of the new mod committee could call that number and verify the person's identity. I think this would work better than the credit card idea as some people would be wary of giving out that info. and it would take two minutes to do and there are not so many new members that the mods would get overwhelmed and these trolls as people have called them on here are not likely to be brazen enough to try to create new aliases if they have to pass the phone test.

ironmanfan
02-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Here is my idea: To prevent banned members from returning under a new alias, they could require that anyone who seeks to sign up provide a telephone number and before registeration is effective and they can post, one of the members of the new mod committee could call that number and verify the person's identity. I think this would work better than the credit card idea as some people would be wary of giving out that info. and it would take two minutes to do and there are not so many new members that the mods would get overwhelmed and these trolls as people have called them on here are not likely to be brazen enough to try to create new aliases if they have to pass the phone test.

I'm sure there are some guys here that don't have a phone :p

allstarsplus
02-11-2010, 12:16 PM

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=32983&page=4

Good minds think alike. I made the phone # suggestions and a few others yesterday on another thread.

I'm sure there are some guys here that don't have a phone :p

Has to be a required field with an actual call to verify. :D :D :D

legaleagle92481
02-11-2010, 12:52 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=32983&page=4

Good minds think alike. I made the phone # suggestions and a few others yesterday on another thread.

Has to be a required field with an actual call to verify. :D :D :D

Oh I did not see that. There are so many threads on here related to this subject that I have not read most of them but regardless of who came up with it first I defintely think it is the best idea. It is easy to hid behind aliases and stuff online but it would take a pretty brazen person not to mention a talented actor to be able to pull it off on the phone.