PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Jersey & Huggins & Scott

r_to_the_2nd@yahoo.com
02-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Are minor league jerseys good investments? Particularly if the guy is an outstanding pro?

Also, has anyone purchased anything from a Huggins & Scott auction? Is there site legit?

Please let me know.

ahuff
02-11-2010, 09:57 AM
I would say that minor league items are a bit different. Midwest League items are mainly what I collect. I can tell you that you can get "deals" on items. However, "deals" are hard to come by in minor league stuff (in my opinion).

Purchasing minor league items really should be done just for the love of the team or player you are collecting. Because I've found that most items do not come close to retaining their value. I'm sure there are tons of reasons, but I know issues that I use when making a purchasing decision are: authenticity, photo matches (very tough to get on stuff 3 yrs or older), caliber of the player, events I might remember/attended, and even condition of the item.

I say that they tend not to retain their value based on both my buying and re-selling experience. This goes for HOFers, Stars, Up and Comers, and guys that didn't make it any further. Anytime I've gone to resell any of my jerseys I've typically had a very hard time selling them for a profit/break-even. When I've purchased some of mine I've talked to the sellers and many of them were losing on the deal.

As far as the auction house, I think I've only used them once (if I remember correctly). So I don't have enough experience to help you on that one.

joelsabi
02-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Are minor league jerseys good investments? Particularly if the guy is an outstanding pro?

Also, has anyone purchased anything from a Huggins & Scott auction? Is there site legit?

Please let me know.

I think Huggins & Scott is one of the better auction houses out there. It is very respected and never heard anything bad about them. I have bought from them some vintage material and found them to have excellent customer service.

Depending on when you buy the minor league jersey, whether before or after they are known as an outstanding pro, you may already see the perceived value already tacked onto the price. It's kinda like speculating on rookie cards in the 1980's for some collectors so the price at auction will adjust accordingly.

Minor league items are rarer but I think most collectors would prefer a Major League jersey, so demand for minor league jersey are less. imho.

ahuff
02-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Joelsabi,

Well said. I agree 100%.

legaleagle92481
02-11-2010, 11:46 AM
An important part of buying a jersey is the team name that is on it. Most collectors want a player's jersey from the team (s) he is most identified with/accompolished the most on. For example take Andre Dawson he played for several teams but his best years by far were with the Expos and Cubs and those jerseys are worth more and more desirable to most collectors than his Marlins jerseys are even though there are many less Dawson Marlins jerseys in existance than Cubs or Expos ones. The same logic applies to minor league jerseys. Yes there are exceptions some collector's may want to have one jersey of every team a particular player played on in his professional career and due to the rarity of the minor league jerseys or may collect that minor league team's jerseys may be willing to pay a premium to obtain one or someone may be a collector but these markets are niche markets and hence not very large so it may be difficult to find such a collector.

hugginsandscottauctions
02-11-2010, 01:59 PM
I am happy to provide any references you might want about the legitimacy of our company. Our Presidents (Bill Huggins and John Scott) have been in this industry since 1976. We ran live auctions in the Washington, DC area beginning in 1989 and we have been running internet catalog auctions since 2004. Please feel free to email me privately if you would like a list of references.
thanks,
Josh Wulkan
Vice President
Huggins and Scott Auctions
www.hugginsandscott.com
josh@hugginsandscott.com

legaleagle92481
02-11-2010, 02:21 PM
I am happy to provide any references you might want about the legitimacy of our company. Our Presidents (Bill Huggins and John Scott) have been in this industry since 1976. We ran live auctions in the Washington, DC area beginning in 1989 and we have been running internet catalog auctions since 2004. Please feel free to email me privately if you would like a list of references.
thanks,
Josh Wulkan
Vice President
Huggins and Scott Auctions
www.hugginsandscott.com (http://www.hugginsandscott.com)
josh@hugginsandscott.com

I have been in the hobby over 20 years and you guys are one of the handful of auction houses that I have never heard a single bad thing about.

hugginsandscottauctions
02-11-2010, 02:42 PM
I have been in the hobby over 20 years and you guys are one of the handful of auction houses that I have never heard a single bad thing about.

Thank you. We do our best to keep as many (both bidders and consignors) happy as possible. ;)
Josh

obpercent1
02-11-2010, 02:53 PM

Please let me know.

They are a good auction site, but minor league jerseys as a whole are very tought to autenticate. Very rarely are they used for just one season they are often kept for 2-3 years. They usually don't have year tags in them and there really is no " Steiner" hologram program in place to track the jerseys once you get them from the team or player. I have several jerseys from the Pawtucket Red Sox that have team letters with LOA from the front office folks, but its very tough to pinpoint them 100% that they were in fact used by that particular player on that particular year.

joelsabi
02-11-2010, 03:44 PM

Please let me know.

Regardless of Auction I would still do my due diligence and do research on the item.

Are you looking at the Manny Ramirez lot w/ Lampson LOA?
http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=19443
It's the only minor league auction lot I could find.

r_to_the_2nd@yahoo.com
02-11-2010, 04:33 PM
I want to thank everyone! You guys have been very helpful. I think I will join the site and start bidding when the next auction starts. No, I do not want the Manny Ramirez jersey. I am a Reds collector and I dabble in some Longoria stuff. The minor league jersey was relating to something that I saw on another sight. Thanks again!

r_to_the_2nd@yahoo.com
02-11-2010, 04:35 PM
The minor league jersey in question comes with a LOA from the team itself on official letterhead that states the player wore it in 2007 and won the R.O.Y. award in the jersey. Is this a good investment?

joelsabi
02-11-2010, 04:51 PM
The minor league jersey in question comes with a LOA from the team itself on official letterhead that states the player wore it in 2007 and won the R.O.Y. award in the jersey. Is this a good investment?

Thats what I meant from my last post. I want a team letter for most minor league jerseys. I do not want to reply on third party authentication for a minor league jersey.

ahuff
02-11-2010, 05:47 PM
I guess I am confused...the jersey is a minor league jersey? Is that correct? Also, the COA states that the player worn the ROY in the jersey. If so, how did he win the ROY award in a minor league jersey?

When I first heard you mention Longoria, I thought perhaps you were talking about a Longoria Biscuits jersey. If that was the case, that thing sold crazy high back when they auctioned them off. However, Biscuit jerseys do sell for a crazy amount of $$$$.

r_to_the_2nd@yahoo.com
02-11-2010, 10:28 PM
He won the R.O.Y. for the minor leagues...they give out post-season awards just like the majors. No, I was talking about Evan.

joelsabi
02-11-2010, 11:45 PM

Says here he was 2007 MVP for the Southern League while on the Montgomery Biscuits
http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Evan_Longoria

He played for the Biscuit for both 2006 and 2007. Maybe the team official made a mistake and should say MVP award.

r_to_the_2nd@yahoo.com
02-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Sorry...no I wasn't talking about Longoria. Longoria was a seperate thought from the minor league jersey. I apologize if I confused you.