PDA

View Full Version : Griffey Mariners Jersey Question

justinwc80
02-11-2010, 09:41 PM
I know that there are many Griffey Mariners jerseys from his first go around on the market since he ordered extras to sell. Does anyone have good knowledge if these jerseys all should have had extra length. More importantly 1998 era. I've seen some with 2" extra length and some without. Is no extra length a disqualifier?

joelsabi
02-11-2010, 10:35 PM
I know that there are many Griffey Mariners jerseys from his first go around on the market since he ordered extras to sell. Does anyone have good knowledge if these jerseys all should have had extra length. More importantly 1998 era. I've seen some with 2" extra length and some without. Is no extra length a disqualifier?

Im not an expert on Griffey. Just some observations.

Heres one without extra length:
http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=43857&aucsearch=1998%20griffey&AucListType=closed&TitleDesc=0&period=

I would look for one with papers from Unique Sports, Mill Creek Sports or Coast to Coast for his Seattle Era jerseys. I have always been suspicious of anything else as UDA came out with autographed jerseys for Griffey. The tell tale sign that it COULD be a UDA jersey is if the signature was on the number. I would also look for remnants of a UDA sticke. I would guess these UDA jerseys would not have any extra length.

sox83cubs84
02-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Another thing to beware of are home jerseys with a NOB of GRIFFEY JR. While tagged, these are jerseys that were part of the 1989-90 Score Board issues, which carried tags and were of pro quality, but were never worn or issued to the players they depict. Griffey never wore a jersey with the JR. suffix on the back...not even when his father joined him on the Mariners.

Dave M.
Chicago area

hippo916
02-12-2010, 12:20 AM
For your reference, I will post photos of a 1998 Griffey home jersey this weekend - size 46 with 2" Extra Length.

justinwc80
02-12-2010, 01:16 PM
That would be very much appreciated. The jersey I'm looking at is a 1998 home jersey, regular kind not the vest. NOB is the normal Griffey, I've seen some people trying to pass the Griffey JR as game used which is just absurd. The jersey also has a signature on the back in black marker which is on the jersey not the number which is usually a good sign that it wasn't a UDA signed number sewn on later. From my research it seems he ordered alot of jerseys wore them a few games and sold them. Things look good on the jersey but I don't know if it has the 2 inch extra length so I'm wondering if that is a cut and dry no on authenticity.

hippo916
02-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Here are photos of a game-used 1998 home Griffey with Nike Swingman turtleneck. Came from Jeff's personal collection; the only Griffey he ever kept for himself due to the extensive use, which was unusual for Griffey jerseys.

hippo916
02-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Justin,

It's in my collection and not for sale.