PDA

View Full Version : Tracking a missed item?

AWA85
02-12-2010, 03:19 PM
After stumbling upon an old auction site and looking at some lots from 2005 and 2006 of items that I would have loved to add. I was wondering what are some of things you have done to try and track down items you missed out on or did not find till later?

A separate question, do auction sites keep email and contact info from 5 or more years ago? Any luck on getting them to give it out?

I remember missing out on Johnny Cueto Reds game used bat that I wanted badly. I was willing to pay twice as much as it went for on ebay, but just happened to have computer problems when the final bidding went down. As for tracking it, I waited for the buyer to leave feedback so I could send him a message and see if I could pry it from their collection. Think I offered about $250 for a bat that sold for about $115, but no luck. All he would say is no thanks, I really like pitchers bats. No luck yet...

Fill me in on any items you missed out on and tracked down? Could use some tips and maybe some success stories!

joelsabi
02-12-2010, 03:55 PM
After stumbling upon an old auction site and looking at some lots from 2005 and 2006 of items that I would have loved to add. I was wondering what are some of things you have done to try and track down items you missed out on or did not find till later?

A separate question, do auction sites keep email and contact info from 5 or more years ago? Any luck on getting them to give it out?

I remember missing out on Johnny Cueto Reds game used bat that I wanted badly. I was willing to pay twice as much as it went for on ebay, but just happened to have computer problems when the final bidding went down. As for tracking it, I waited for the buyer to leave feedback so I could send him a message and see if I could pry it from their collection. Think I offered about $250 for a bat that sold for about $115, but no luck. All he would say is no thanks, I really like pitchers bats. No luck yet...

Fill me in on any items you missed out on and tracked down? Could use some tips and maybe some success stories!

I believe auction houses keep records of transactions however the privacy of the buyer is kept because of privacy issues. Recently when Alex Rodriguez's 500 HR baseball was auctioned off, SCP was asked by a reporter who was the new owner. Then, SCP asked the new owner if they wanted to remain anonymous, which was the case for ARod's baseball. What you can do is email or phone the Auction House and ask if they would contact the owner on behalf of you and tell your interest. Hopefully there is interest on the part of the owner to know there is someone out there who is interested in their item for a future sale.

AWA85
02-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Good tip Joel, already have been in contact with one auction house which said they would contact the owners to see if they were willing to sell. Not getting my hopes up, but worth a shot!

legaleagle92481
02-16-2010, 01:51 AM
My advice is to be patient and do not offer to overpay. Very little is 1 of 1 in this hobby and destined to be held onto forever and if you miss an item you are likely to get another shot at it in the future whether it is that item being resold or another of that type of item. The Reds sell their stuff alot on MLB Auctions and you may want to contact them to see if they have any Johnny Cuerto bats available currently someone on here might even have a contact person for you.