PDA

View Full Version : D-backs Fan Fest Feb 13

theflock13
02-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Anyone make it out yesterday? Any good finds?

godwulf
02-14-2010, 09:50 PM
The GU selection was pretty slim pickings this year - no jerseys, and an even worse selection of bats than last year. Three barrels of mostly firewood. I found a decent brown maple Brent Mayne from '04 for $25 - very much like the one they've been trying to get $125 for in the Team Shop for the last couple of years, only with a handle crack - and an unnamed Trinity bat, which you don't see very often (I've only got one other in my entire collection) that was (according to the MLB authentication sticker) broken by Alex Romero in Philly in 2008, which I got for $20. Happy about those.

I was helping one guy identify signatures and try to figure out the names on a couple of bats, and I handed him one of Bob Melvin's fungos (which I'd have picked up, myself, especially for $25, but I already have a couple and I'm trying to cut down on dupes these days) and he asked, "Who's Bob Melvin?" Either a very casual fan or a very short memory.

They had a whole table of the large-size locker cards, most of them plain, without logos or any kind of fancy graphics, just the player name and number, for $2-$3. Lots of long-gone players whom I remember fondly, like Alan Zinter, Buddy Groom, Nick Bierbrodt, etc. Got 15 of those to put up on one wall or other someday.

Mostly it was a pretty good day for autographs, for me. I got Matty Williams to sign the two Manager's jerseys from his stint in Mobile in '07 that I have, and he and Jay Bell signed a copy of that great photo of Jay running into Matt's arms as he crossed the plate for the final run in the '01 World Series.

Mel Stottlemyre, Jr. signed the GU Royals jersey of his that I have, saying, "That is a very, very old jersey". Justin Upton was the picture of bored athlete wishing he were anywhere else, but he did sign my '08 X-Bat and a photo between yawns. Brandon Webb signed the two Louisvile Sluggers of his that I own, and that was funny - he looked them over and turned to Chad Qualls and said, "How are these not cracked?"

I got to meet two new DBacks, Adam LaRoche and Edwin Jackson, and one former DBack whom I'd never had a chance to talk with, Mike Fetters.

A long, long day of standing in lines - 6:30 a.m. till almost 5 p.m. - and physically exhausting, even painful, back and legs-wise, but I had a good time.

Lokee
02-14-2010, 11:38 PM
Allthough I don't have any Mike Fetters stuff I always liked his mound presence.

H2R-JU10
02-15-2010, 03:11 PM
As previously stated, there was not much game used memorabilia for sale. The best items available in terms of players selection were the spring trainning game used caps. There were more than 100 caps available for sale for players and coaches. Some of them showed stream used. It was very funny to see and hear the fans reactions when they look at the game used caps. I can tell you that some were very stinky!

I was able to pick up game used hats for Brandon Webb, Mark Reynolds, Felipe Lopez, Max Scherzer, Daniel Schlereth, and Justin Upton.

They also had game used helmets for players and coaches. Most of them had no numbers on the back. I picked up one helmet that I believed was used by Connor Jackson.

tigerdale
02-16-2010, 07:13 AM
do the Diamondbacks ever have any Kirk Gibson items for sale? I'd be interested if they ever had a fungo bat w/ his name on it....

godwulf
02-16-2010, 08:32 AM
do the Diamondbacks ever have any Kirk Gibson items for sale? I'd be interested if they ever had a fungo bat w/ his name on it....

I think they currently have one of his jerseys from '08 in the Team Shop - probably with a $300-$500 price tag on it. Maybe a ST cap from last year for $150. That's kind of how their prices on things run. They've been selling bats in the Team Shop since about '02 or '03, and I've never seen anyone's fungo bats in there; I wouldn't mind having one of Gibson's, myself. My direct team source seems to have pretty well dried up of late, but I'll ask him to see what he can do. The more I think about it, the more I think I ought to have held onto that Bob Melvin fungo at the Fan Fest yard sale; I don't really need it for myself, but I could have resold it to another DBacks GU fan, even if just at cost + shipping. Doh!

tigerdale
02-17-2010, 07:00 AM
I appreciate all the info, thank you. If you ever run across an extra Gibby fungo, please keep me in mind.

Texans
02-17-2010, 08:10 PM
As previously stated, there was not much game used memorabilia for sale. The best items available in terms of players selection were the spring trainning game used caps. There were more than 100 caps available for sale for players and coaches. Some of them showed stream used. It was very funny to see and hear the fans reactions when they look at the game used caps. I can tell you that some were very stinky!

I was able to pick up game used hats for Brandon Webb, Mark Reynolds, Felipe Lopez, Max Scherzer, Daniel Schlereth, and Justin Upton.

They also had game used helmets for players and coaches. Most of them had no numbers on the back. I picked up one helmet that I believed was used by Connor Jackson.

Is the Upton hat for sale?

Jojo

sox83cubs84
02-17-2010, 09:33 PM

Would you consider selling the Schlereth cap?

Dave M.
Chicago area

H2R-JU10
02-19-2010, 07:11 AM
Dan, please send me an email at hramirezh2r@yahoo.com about the Schelereh cap.

H2R-JU10
02-19-2010, 07:12 AM
Jojo, thanks for your interest but the Upton cap is not for sale.