PDA

View Full Version : NBA All-Star Jerseys

Sonny25
02-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Just noticed these went up for auction.

Does anybody know if that one guy still goes after every one of them, or is it safe to bid again? lol

Also anyone know if other items (Warm-ups, rookie unis, dunk unis, etc) from the all-star weekend will be up for auction?

jppopma
02-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Last year, it seemed that the one main collector (using two different screen names) picked up a majority of the items.

The do auction off the warm up,rookie game, and special event jerseys as well. Some of those might be available outside of the big money bidders.

Another option if the game issued jerseys, if you accept those, as they seem to be passed over by the big guys.

Good luck.

mbenga28
02-14-2010, 10:22 PM
is Kobe's game issued going to be auctioned?

it's going to be fun watching that one bidder take all the jerseys again.

mbenga28
02-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Just noticed these went up for auction.

Does anybody know if that one guy still goes after every one of them, or is it safe to bid again?

he won a couple of the superstar players Celtics Christmas jerseys, so it's safe to say he's ready for this as well.

nickacs
02-15-2010, 07:29 AM
he won a couple of the superstar players Celtics Christmas jerseys, so it's safe to say he's ready for this as well.

Yup, I'd say if you don't have about $50k just "laying" around to spend, forget about it! All the superstar players will be gone by our "friend" in no time.

BarryMeisel
02-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi everybody,

I am happy to answer all the questions, as I am still in Dallas awaiting my flight back to New Jersey.

NBA & MGG Authenticators, including myself, secured the 24 jerseys worn in the first half of last night's 59th annual All-Star Game.

All were tagged and authenticated prior to the event, and authenticated after the event in Cowboys Stadlum (wow, what a place!!).

I have them with me returning to NJ, and will be happy to answer any questions on sizes, etc. The reason the sizes were not listed in the auction that began at tip off last night is that players got to choose from several sizes of a new style cut of jersey produced by adidas.

Yes, auctions will continue into March for warmups, shooting shirts, skills competition and other All-Star Weekend events, etc. So stay tuned for those announcements.

Unfortunately, we cannot control who bids, who wins, etc. Good luck to all of you, and feel free to pose any questions you have here. Or you can e-mail me at bmeisel@meigray.com

Thanks, Barry

MileHighFan
02-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Barry, I was wondering if you knew what was happening to the jerseys worn in the second half? Just curious as I noticed LeBron had his jersey untucked while Wade was receiving his MVP, and the MGG tag was visible.

And was Jason Kidd's jersey tagged prior to the event? I saw some photos of him during warm-up, and there's no MGG tag on his jersey.

mbenga28
02-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Barry, I was wondering if you knew what was happening to the jerseys worn in the second half? Just curious as I noticed LeBron had his jersey untucked while Wade was receiving his MVP, and the MGG tag was visible.

Stoudamire also had his jersey untucked and you could see the MeiGray security tagging as well.

Will Kobe's game issued be offered down the road Barry?

legaleagle92481
02-16-2010, 01:22 AM
Yup, I'd say if you don't have about $50k just "laying" around to spend, forget about it! All the superstar players will be gone by our "friend" in no time.

He throws curveballs sometimes there are auctions in which he does not bid such as the Christmas 2008 auction. Also check MEIgray's site frequently because alot of times jerseys that were auctioned end up on there because I assume someone did not pay for them. Since last summer I have seen a Shaq Latin Nights jersey and a Duncan Christmas 2008 jersey on there both reasonably priced so at least there is a chance that one could wind up on there.

BarryMeisel
02-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi everybody,

Thanks for the questions.

The players keep the jerseys they wore in the second half. We record the numbers of all jerseys worn and prepared for the game, and that information will be available if needed by anyone checking authenticity in the secondary market.

In the case of Jason Kidd, who was a late addition and had his jersey made without enough time to tag it before the game, the jerseys are marked uniquely by an NBA & MGG Program authenticator.

We are still organizing all inventory collected from All-Star Weekend, and we will announce the items that will be available via auction.

Thanks, Barry

BarryMeisel
02-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Chris Kaman and David Lee fell into the same category as Kidd, late additions to the All-Star rosters.

Barry

sportscentury
02-17-2010, 09:30 AM
He throws curveballs sometimes there are auctions in which he does not bid such as the Christmas 2008 auction. Also check MEIgray's site frequently because alot of times jerseys that were auctioned end up on there because I assume someone did not pay for them. Since last summer I have seen a Shaq Latin Nights jersey and a Duncan Christmas 2008 jersey on there both reasonably priced so at least there is a chance that one could wind up on there.

Actually, one of Nowitzki's Christmas Day jerseys from 2008 is still available on the nbagameworn.com website. There is a Dwight Howard game issue, as well.

legaleagle92481
02-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Actually, one of Nowitzki's Christmas Day jerseys from 2008 is still available on the nbagameworn.com website. There is a Dwight Howard game issue, as well.

Yeah they have like 17 Dirks though that is why I did not mention that one. Like the Shaq and Duncan you rarely see MEIGRAY tagged. They have two Amare GI ones also from Latin Night but I have never been a fan of GI jerseys would rather just be patient and wait for the real thing.

sportscentury
02-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Yeah they have like 17 Dirks though that is why I did not mention that one. Like the Shaq and Duncan you rarely see MEIGRAY tagged. They have two Amare GI ones also from Latin Night but I have never been a fan of GI jerseys would rather just be patient and wait for the real thing.

They have several Nowitzkis, but I would have thought that a Nowitzki Christmas jersey (the only one that has ever made it to nbagameworn.com for a fixed price) would have been long gone by now. The list price is the same as the regular season Dirks. I think some collectors have simply missed it.

I think MeiGray would sell more NBA jerseys if they consolidated their websites (MeiGray and NBAGameWorn) and cross-listed the special jerseys in all of the categories that apply (e.g., a Dirk Christmas jersey would be listed in both the Christmas Day and Mavericks sections).

Sonny25
02-17-2010, 10:17 PM
I think MeiGray would sell more NBA jerseys if they consolidated their websites (MeiGray and NBAGameWorn) and cross-listed the special jerseys in all of the categories that apply (e.g., a Dirk Christmas jersey would be listed in both the Christmas Day and Mavericks sections).

It's be nice if they had a few more NBA teams also.

Don't get me wrong I love that they have the Hawks, Blazers, T'Wolves & Kings, but I'd damn near buy them out of they had the Bobcats.

legaleagle92481
02-17-2010, 10:36 PM

Don't get me wrong I love that they have the Hawks, Blazers, T'Wolves & Kings, but I'd damn near buy them out of they had the Bobcats.

I agree most of those teams like the Kings (except Evans who sold out very fast), T-Wolves, Knicks and Rockets do not have any must have players this year. It would be great it they had deals with the Spurs, Cavs, Celts, Lakers, Suns, Magic and Thunder. It seems like it is same teams and players every year in hockey they have so many players and teams I wish NBA teams were more like their NHL counterparts.

legaleagle92481
02-17-2010, 10:39 PM
They have several Nowitzkis, but I would have thought that a Nowitzki Christmas jersey (the only one that has ever made it to nbagameworn.com for a fixed price) would have been long gone by now. The list price is the same as the regular season Dirks. I think some collectors have simply missed it.

Yeah it is confusing how they have jerseys on two websites. Personally I do not like the one game jerseys would rather have a jersey worn for awhile especially if it is the same price like the Dirk ones but if I have no other options I would buy the one gamer like the Xmas Duncan they had.

sportscentury
02-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Yeah it is confusing how they have jerseys on two websites. Personally I do not like the one game jerseys would rather have a jersey worn for awhile especially if it is the same price like the Dirk ones but if I have no other options I would buy the one gamer like the Xmas Duncan they had.

All things being equal, I agree. But there are exceptions to this rule for me (e.g., games in which the player has put up insane stats, Finals jerseys, milestone games, etc.), meaning that I pay a lot more for these even though they are sometimes single-game jerseys. The Christmas Day jerseys are just very popular with collectors. Until recently, I had the 2008 Dwight Howard Christmas Day jersey (photomatched). His stats were not the best in the game, but the Magic won and it looked great with the snowflake patch. I understand the appeal of these, but I share your sentiment as a general preference for multi-game jerseys. I've purchased many Dirks from MeiGray that were worn in so many games that they were literally coming undone in certain places. You have to love superstar jerseys with ultra-heavy use.

sportscentury
02-17-2010, 11:26 PM

Barry is always working on getting more teams. They have a lot more teams than they did a few years back. These things take time.

mbenga28
02-18-2010, 08:10 AM
right, I still wonder why there's still a couple of Yao Ming game used jerseys available on NBAGameWorn, considering his worldwide popularity.

neverfinished94
02-20-2010, 03:32 PM
how do you tell if its game worn or game issued? price?

neverfinished94
02-20-2010, 03:34 PM
oops, i see now. GI=game issued

MileHighFan
02-27-2010, 10:23 PM
All-Star jerseys ending soon; any update on an auction schedule for jerseys used from other weekend events?

BarryMeisel
02-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Not yet, MileHighFan.

We hope to have an update soon. As soon as we do, we will post it.

Thanks, Barry
NBA & MGG Game-Worn Authentication Program

at350zguyy
03-02-2010, 05:47 PM
sportscentury has bid for a lot of them. i dont like getting into bidding wars, but thats what it looks like for some of them. i am the biggest deron williams fan and i used to play against him in college some and would really like his, but our friend sportscentury just keeps bidding everything up.

worldchamps
03-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Yeah i noticed that too....i guess we all have our strategies on bidding and when to bid. I personally am waiting until the last minute, to me any bids that are made now are doing nothing but driving up the prices...but like i said i guess we all have our strategies.

But dont get too frustrated yet, when it is all said and done, one person will probably walk away with all the jerseys :(

Sonny25
03-02-2010, 06:58 PM
But dont get too frustrated yet, when it is all said and done, one person will probably walk away with all the jerseys :(

That really sucks too.

The player I'm really interested in is far from a high profile player, but am almost positive I'll lose out on him to somebody who give two flips about him.

Oh well, will make sure the jersey sells for a whole hell of alot more than it's worth if that's the case. :)

Sonny25
03-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Just read what I typed & didn't mean for that last sentence to sound like I was going to run the price up just to be bitter.

Meant that I was going in on the item with the intentions of spending alot of money, and if (Or when) I lose it won't be without putting up a fight.

sportscentury
03-02-2010, 07:41 PM
sportscentury has bid for a lot of them. i dont like getting into bidding wars, but thats what it looks like for some of them. i am the biggest deron williams fan and i used to play against him in college some and would really like his, but our friend sportscentury just keeps bidding everything up.

To Mr. Amit Tailor (at350zguyy):

This is your first post here? Seriously? Wow, way to make an introduction. Your suggestion that I am simply "bidding up" the jerseys is out of line. Also, please stop emailing me privately to ask me to stop bidding on the Deron Williams jersey. I wonder what Barry Meisel would think if he knew that you were doing this to affect the overall bidding on MeiGray's auctions. I am a serious NBA collector. I bid on items for myself and also, upon occasion, for collector friends and buyers. I am allowed to bid as frequently as I like. I am allowed to bid whatever amounts I like. I have known Barry and MeiGray for many years and I always pay immediately and in full. If you want to pick a fight with someone, I want to assure you of one thing: I am not the guy you want to choose. I wish you and everyone else the best of luck with the bidding. I hope your second post on GUU is more appropriate than your first.

allstarsplus
03-02-2010, 08:11 PM
To Mr. Amit Tailor (at350zguyy):

This is your first post here? Seriously? Wow, way to make an introduction. Your suggestion that I am simply "bidding up" the jerseys is out of line. Also, please stop emailing me privately to ask me to stop bidding on the Deron Williams jersey. I wonder what Barry Meisel would think if he knew that you were doing this to affect the overall bidding on MeiGray's auctions. I am a serious NBA collector. I bid on items for myself and also, upon occasion, for collector friends and buyers. I am allowed to bid as frequently as I like. I am allowed to bid whatever amounts I like. I have known Barry and MeiGray for many years and I always pay immediately and in full. If you want to pick a fight with someone, I want to assure you of one thing: I am not the guy you want to choose. I wish you and everyone else the best of luck with the bidding. I hope your second post on GUU is more appropriate than your first.

These are one of a kind items and the deepest pockets may win out.

Reid isn't a shill and explained his motivations. You know the old saying, if you can't beat him join him?

Sounds like he is bidding for some friends too so I suggest you get on Reid's good side and maybe be his "friend" instead of what can be read between the lines as a possible baseless accusation that may be construed incorrectly and is borderline offensive (read what I highlighted in red)!

worldchamps
03-02-2010, 08:22 PM
I hope my comments were not misunderstood, or associated with anyone else opinions. Even if exquiste wins them all, he is no bigger or smaller a fan than i am. It is just frustrating never the less.

And as far as Sportscentury,we collect some of the same guys, but i would never try to talk him out of bidding on someone, that is unfair to ask on anyone.

Ultimatley I am trying to psyche myself out of getting too attached, bc there is probably no way i will be able to win any of them.

legaleagle92481
03-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Sports Century has done nothing wrong. He seems like a really nice guy actually. Bidding early can discourage some people from bidding and reduce your competition so I see the strategy behind that. The items will get bid up anyway so it does not matter if it is at the very end or incrementally or who does it. There is so much traffic on that site and the items in question are so unique that nobody is going to "steal" anything. To ask people not to bid is patently unfair and anticompetitive you win some you lose some and this is g/u collectibles not life or death stuff that anyone has to win.

mbenga28
03-04-2010, 07:33 AM
good luck to everyone who's bidding tonight, even if jt wins them all you at least still have the warmups to bid on.

nickacs
03-04-2010, 09:07 AM
good luck to everyone who's bidding tonight, even if jt wins them all you at least still have the warmups to bid on.

Yup, digger26 keeps outbidding me :) But it's all good. Good luck too to everyone!

worldchamps
03-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Also the Olympics taught us that 2nd and 3rd place are medal winners

Here to getting Silver or Bronze tonight...hahaha

nickacs
03-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Haha, well I had the Lebron all up until 5mins to go and knew it was too good to be true :) Right at the last minute, like clockwork. Oh wells.. Probably better anyways than to blow my wad on this jersey and be broke for about a year :p

Hope someone other than exquisite won something! Good luck

Sonny25
03-04-2010, 09:31 PM
I bid the LeBron jersey up to $19,000 & the Durant up to $6,000 with no luck.

That doesn't really bother me though, to me that's understandable.
Would of been nice to have the Gerald Wallace jersey though (Home town guy), but I'm not gonna over pay for a so-so all-star.

Oh well, at least I got $30,000 already saved up for the NBA Final jerseys.

I can guarantee you if Kobe or LeBron makes it that far I won't lose out on either.
That is unless somebody is willing to go above $50,000 (Which they may, who knows).

nickacs
03-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Good luck Sonny :) Having an NBA Finals jersey of one of the superstars would be a dream come true. Can't wait to see the bidding in June!

Sonny25
03-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Just got the Rose up to $10,000 with no luck.

Really considering seeing how high it would take me to get the Wallace jersey.

mbenga28
03-04-2010, 09:40 PM
amazing, exquisite jt. you have to tip your hat to him.

Sonny25
03-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Oh well, lose out on the Wallace at $5,000.

Not mad though, can sleep well knowing that I didn't overpay on anything (Since I didn't win anything lol).

Now on to saving more for the NBA Finals!

worldchamps
03-04-2010, 09:50 PM
i couldnt get a seat at this poker game

but i did my best to drive up the prices on them

sportscentury
03-04-2010, 09:56 PM
The Deron Williams sold for $12,020, and Amit is crying that I'm bidding up the jerseys. LMFAO!

Come on ... you have to admit this is comical.

worldchamps
03-04-2010, 09:59 PM
yeah i was thinking the same thing, he was not familar with how all these auctions go down

i also think it is funny how the first couple auctions went lower than the later ones, carmelo and billups would be offended if they saw these prices.

I really think alot of people were just bidding to bid and drive the prices up:D

sportscentury
03-04-2010, 10:01 PM
yeah i was thinking the same thing, he was not familar with how all these auctions go down

i also think it is funny how the first couple auctions went lower than the later ones, carmelo and billups would be offended if they saw these prices.

I really think alot of people were just bidding to bid and drive the prices up:D

Have wondered the same thing. Nothing in this hobby would surprise me, that is for sure.

sportscentury
03-04-2010, 10:02 PM

He's not familiar with a few other things, as well.

Sonny25
03-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Does exquisite/jtnba go after the warm-ups as well?

I may go after the Gerald Wallace warm-up, but not really interested in any others.

legaleagle92481
03-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I had $13,000 to spend so I bid up every jersey into that range that explains the high prices. I would have been happy with any of them but a few I capped my limit at 10 grand on (no way I am paying more than that that for Lee or Wallace) and I missed Carmello and Billups. I may not have won but I fought him hard and if he keeps getting fought this hard maybe eventually other people will be able to get theirs.

Sonny25
03-04-2010, 10:15 PM
I had $13,000 to spend so I bid up every jersey into that range that explains the high prices. I would have been happy with any of them but a few I capped my limit at 10 grand on (no way I am paying more than that that for Lee or Wallace) and I missed Carmello and Billups. I may not have won but I fought him hard and if he keeps getting fought this hard maybe eventually other people will be able to get theirs.

I told myself I wouldn't spend no more than $2,000 for a player like Wallace, but ended up going up to $5,000. lol

worldchamps
03-04-2010, 10:17 PM

I am glad to know this, i thought it was a little odd that so many ended at $13,020..or in that range.

If i won crazy money in the lottery, i would probably try to win them all too...but it would seem that even with unlimited funds you would get to a point where you have too much?? I think he has won 90% of all the auctions that were from the allstar game and the finals, and all the big time jerseys that have come up.....but like i said in an ealier post, to each and his own...im not here to judge.

worldchamps
03-04-2010, 10:20 PM
I really wanted Dirk the most, and Duncan second....i knew i wouldnt win, but for a brief second i thought, maybe a bunch would end at the same time, and i might sneak the Dirk jersey....that thought didnt last long.

It was pretty obvious he had the exqusite account bidding on the west jerseys and the jtnbafan bidding on all the east, probably had 2 people bidding just to make sure he won them all.

sportscentury
03-04-2010, 10:35 PM
He won the complete set of All Star jerseys last year, and now he has won the complete set this year. History in the making. You have to love his passion and respect his dedication.

As an aside, after watching Digger26 bid $21G+ on the LBJ Christmas Day jersey, I thought he'd be more of a player this evening, but apparently not.

hiflyer56
03-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Dont be supprised if most these jerseys end up cut up into little cards "exquiste" could work for the Exquiste card Co. Not sure who their managed by could be UD. Lets hear you opinions.

sportscentury
03-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Dont be supprised if most these jerseys end up cut up into little cards "exquiste" could work for the Exquiste card Co. Not sure who their managed by could be UD. Lets hear you opinions.

Anthony/Christopher/Stephen/Michael -

How are you (all) today? So nice of you to chime in. How is your Deron Williams "photomatched" jersey doing? (Cough)

As for your suggestion, with all due respect, it is ridiculous. UD doesn't even have the NBA contract any longer. You have not a clue as to what you are talking about.

Here is a question: Who is Christopher Mandarino and how did you come to select this name for your newest GUU userid?

Have a great night.

legaleagle92481
03-04-2010, 11:49 PM
I told myself I wouldn't spend no more than $2,000 for a player like Wallace, but ended up going up to $5,000. lol

desperation sets in after awhile i was not planning to go to 10 at 1st either but to just win one would have been so cool regardless of whos name is on the back.

Dewey2007
03-04-2010, 11:59 PM

Wow is all I can say after reading that this person won every All-Star jersey tonight. I feel for you hoops collectors on the forum who would just like to have one of these jerseys.

I'm just glad that this person doesn't collect baseball or they would have outbid me on the Rollins WS jersey I recently picked up for sure.

legaleagle92481
03-05-2010, 12:04 AM
I am glad to know this, i thought it was a little odd that so many ended at $13,020..or in that range.

If i won crazy money in the lottery, i would probably try to win them all too...but it would seem that even with unlimited funds you would get to a point where you have too much?? I think he has won 90% of all the auctions that were from the allstar game and the finals, and all the big time jerseys that have come up.....but like i said in an ealier post, to each and his own...im not here to judge.

if i had unlimited funds i would not want them all there is so much too collect over all sports why load up on one thing? plus alot of the guys are not going back like wallace, lee, horford, randolph. dont get me wrong if i had to i would have gladly gotten one of those just to have one but if i had duncan, nash or jerseys like that its hard to get excited about a lee or a wallace.

legaleagle92481
03-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Wow is all I can say after reading that this person won every All-Star jersey tonight. I feel for you hoops collectors on the forum who would just like to have one of these jerseys.

I'm just glad that this person doesn't collect baseball or they would have outbid me on the Rollins WS jersey I recently picked up for sure.

My sentiments exactely I collect all four sports so I am glad he stays out of the others. If he were into baseball your Rollins would have went for like 30 grand. He made the LA Times last June for bidding 35k on a jersey Kobe wore in only game 1 of the NBA Finals.

sportscentury
03-05-2010, 01:06 AM
if i had unlimited funds i would not want them all there is so much too collect over all sports why load up on one thing? plus alot of the guys are not going back like wallace, lee, horford, randolph. dont get me wrong if i had to i would have gladly gotten one of those just to have one but if i had duncan, nash or jerseys like that its hard to get excited about a lee or a wallace.

It's just a matter of personal preference. You may not want the entire set, but I assure you Exquisite is not the only person who does. I would take the entire set in a heartbeat.

Are you sure that Lee and Horford are not going back? They seem rock solid to me. I'm on the fence about Wallace. And I agree with you that this was Z-Bo's one time to shine (long overdue in many analysts' opinions), so it is unlikely we'll see him back. Lee and Horford, though, have been consistent from day one. Neither one will ever be a superstar, but I could see them finishing with 3 or 4 A.S. appearances each before they are done.

sportscentury
03-05-2010, 01:19 AM
My sentiments exactely I collect all four sports so I am glad he stays out of the others. If he were into baseball your Rollins would have went for like 30 grand. He made the LA Times last June for bidding 35k on a jersey Kobe wore in only game 1 of the NBA Finals.

It was only worn in one game of the Finals (Game 1), but there is a good chance it was worn in earlier Playoff games, as well. This is typical for the Lakers. For example, the Game 2 Finals jerseys (white/alternate) were also worn in Game 7 of the Lakers/Rockets Western Semi-Conference Finals series. The Finals patches were added after the fact.

$35,000 is a good chunk of change. But it may seem like a bargain soon with Sonny25 willing to go to $50G this year. Warm up the presses, LA Times!

I would love to have these jerseys in my PC, but I think this is great for the hobby. All of our collections go up in value each time one of these auctions runs. And it shows you the trust that high-end collectors have in MeiGray, which is primarily known for hockey but has become the biggest name in hoops now, as well (or, at least, is one of the top two).

legaleagle92481
03-05-2010, 01:37 AM
It's just a matter of personal preference. You may not want the entire set, but I assure you Exquisite is not the only person who does. I would take the entire set in a heartbeat.

Are you sure that Lee and Horford are not going back? They seem rock solid to me. I'm on the fence about Wallace. And I agree with you that this was Z-Bo's one time to shine (long overdue in many analysts' opinions), so it is unlikely we'll see him back. Lee and Horford, though, have been consistent from day one. Neither one will ever be a superstar, but I could see them finishing with 3 or 4 A.S. appearances each before they are done.

Maybe they will who knows I just think it will be hard for them to. The team is extremely hard to make. The starters are a popularity contest that often has nothing to do with the year someone is having. Iverson was voted a starter this year, look at how many times Carter or Tmac got starts when they had no business being on the team. Some reserve slots then end up spent on guys who should be starting and as a whole they tend to go to guys on the good teams to the point that a 2nd or even 3rd star from a good team makes it over a player from a bad team having a better statistical year. Remember that year when four pistons made it? Look at Lee despite the year he is having Lee would have been left off the team if Iverson did not pull out of the game. Plus with the upcoming summer of expected player movement around the league who knows who will come to the East such as Amare or even Dirk or Yao (though it is unlikely) who will be a virtually lck based on who they are or where Lee will be next year he could go to a powerhouse team and see his stats plummet and if the Hawks lose Joe Johnson they may end up a lottery team next year making Horford hard pressed to make it and it is hard for a Bobcat to get there he was their first allstar ever. So yes they are solid players but I am skeptical of their getting more apperances.

sportscentury
03-05-2010, 02:44 AM
Maybe they will who knows I just think it will be hard for them to. The team is extremely hard to make. The starters are a popularity contest that often has nothing to do with the year someone is having. Iverson was voted a starter this year, look at how many times Carter or Tmac got starts when they had no business being on the team. Some reserve slots then end up spent on guys who should be starting and as a whole they tend to go to guys on the good teams to the point that a 2nd or even 3rd star from a good team makes it over a player from a bad team having a better statistical year. Remember that year when four pistons made it? Look at Lee despite the year he is having Lee would have been left off the team if Iverson did not pull out of the game. Plus with the upcoming summer of expected player movement around the league who knows who will come to the East such as Amare or even Dirk or Yao (though it is unlikely) who will be a virtually lck based on who they are or where Lee will be next year he could go to a powerhouse team and see his stats plummet and if the Hawks lose Joe Johnson they may end up a lottery team next year making Horford hard pressed to make it and it is hard for a Bobcat to get there he was their first allstar ever. So yes they are solid players but I am skeptical of their getting more apperances.

Legal, fair enough, but I don't think we've seen the best of these two players yet. They are young and their all-star appearances this year will only get their play more attention. Look, it's definitely not a no-brainer. If Horford or D-Lee were to never make another A.S. game, it certainly would not blow my mind. I just don't think we can count them out.

As to your points about the selection process, there is no one who thinks of it as more of a joke than I. I am a huge AI fan, but clearly he did not get in on his performance this year (far from it). T-Mac's vote count was even more offensive, given that he didn't even play. The process has hurt the game and needs to be fixed. Stern is well-respected for listening to fan, player, and analyst concerns, so perhaps he will do something to make the process reflect a balance of fan interest and performance-based merit. Unfortunately, the vast majority of fans have little clue as to what they are doing when voting. So, it should not surprise us when T-Mac and AI get vote counts like they did this year.

worldchamps
03-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Reid,

Just random thoughts on this....for a hoops fan it is great to see so much dialogue on here

Do you really think this auction makes our collections/other items go up? I am not totally disagreeing with you, but for example, i have a Tim Duncan rookie (with memorial stripe - you rarely see that). Is that worth more or less than an allstar jersey, you could debate either side, but i dont think i could get $13,000 for it?

I do wonder if 1 person buying them all, does hurt the value/hobby. "Legal" will you be likely to bid that high again next year? Honestly i dont think i will even bid next year, it kind of seems pointless.

As far as exquiste, if you know this guys history, he got his name bc he BUYS UD exquiste cards. All those crazy prices you see for Lebron 1/1 cards or Jordan or any exquiste card was this guy buying them, then he got into game used. Correct me if I am wrong but he only buys from nba auctions, i have never seen him buy on ebay game used, and i am not sure if he is a player at any of the auction houses since they dont release winners names.

I emailed him once, and he was a really nice guy. I wish i still had a good email address for him, not to buy or sell, just would be a good contact to talk hoops to.

jppopma
03-05-2010, 06:35 PM
I looked at the auctions and did not see any of the game issued jerseys this year. Did all of the picks suit up, or did MeiGray hold on to these GI ones?

Last year, I picked up one of them....primarily because that was the only way I was able to have any chance. I was blown out, like everyone else, on the rest. This year, I didn't even try.

mbenga28
03-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Barry, please give us information if possible about what items will be available next for auctions. All Star game warm-ups, Rookies Sophomores game, Weekend events, etc.? Thank you and congratulations to all who participated in the previous auction.

sportscentury
03-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Reid,

Just random thoughts on this....for a hoops fan it is great to see so much dialogue on here

Do you really think this auction makes our collections/other items go up? I am not totally disagreeing with you, but for example, i have a Tim Duncan rookie (with memorial stripe - you rarely see that). Is that worth more or less than an allstar jersey, you could debate either side, but i dont think i could get $13,000 for it?

I do wonder if 1 person buying them all, does hurt the value/hobby. "Legal" will you be likely to bid that high again next year? Honestly i dont think i will even bid next year, it kind of seems pointless.

As far as exquiste, if you know this guys history, he got his name bc he BUYS UD exquiste cards. All those crazy prices you see for Lebron 1/1 cards or Jordan or any exquiste card was this guy buying them, then he got into game used. Correct me if I am wrong but he only buys from nba auctions, i have never seen him buy on ebay game used, and i am not sure if he is a player at any of the auction houses since they dont release winners names.

I emailed him once, and he was a really nice guy. I wish i still had a good email address for him, not to buy or sell, just would be a good contact to talk hoops to.

Here are my responses:

Yes, each time one of these auctions runs, and we see the increments in realized prices, the values of basketball game worn items in general rise. People see these prices and it affects their willingness to pay more for top items. Could you get $13,000 for your Tim Duncan rookie jersey? I have no clue. Did its value go up or down since the auction? Consign it to MeiGray and find out! But the point is that buying prices in general will continue to go up because the results of these auctions are a reflection of an increase in market value.

Exquisite won the complete set of All Star jerseys last year, as well, and the bidding was far more ferocious this year than last. So, why would we expect the bidding to wane next year? I expect high-end collectors will be even more aggressive next year. Did you read Sonny25's post? I expect his sentiment is shared by others. He is more determined than ever to win a Kobe or LeBron. The auction results might discourage some, but these results will only make the jerseys more desireable to hardcore collectors. And these are the folks who were placing the serious bids on these lots.

There are many high-end UD Exquisite collectors. There are collectors in the U.S., Philippines, China, Korea, Taiwan, and Europe that have consistently paid very high prices for rare Exquisite cards since 03-04 when the product first hit the market.

I'm not sure why you would assume that any particular collector bids just on NBA Auctions. NBA Auctions is unusual in that we can see the bidders. Just because we can't see the bidders in auction houses such as Grey Flannel and Hunts doesn't mean that the bidders don't exist.

Please don't think I'm being argumentative - just wanted to be comprehensive in responding to all of your questions and points. I enjoy the discussion, too.

BarryMeisel
03-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Mbenga,

As soon as we have the information ready, we will post.

And for those of you interested in consigning basketball items, we do have a list of private collectors who will pay for MeiGray authenticated basketball jerseys. If you are interested, please contact us at sales@meigray.com

Thanks, Barry

encinorick
03-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Barry: We spoke before, I may take you up on your offer with somethings I have. You can see some of my things in this April's Greyfannel's acution. Best, Rick

reed1216
03-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Reid- I also really appreciate hearing your insight on the NBA game worn market. I really wanted the Amar'e all star jersey, but I couldn't afford to bid more than $1500 for it, even though it would have made a great compliment to the Christmas Day Amar'e jersey I won last year from NBA Auctions. If I remember correctly, I paid a shade over $1500 for that one, which looks like grand larceny when compared to the price of the all star jersey. Plus, Stoudemire wore the Christmas day jersey for the entire game and played quite well (25 pts and 13 boards in a last second loss to the arch-rival Spurs), while only wearing the all star jersey that was auctioned for the first half.

I totally agree with your analysis of things, especially with regards to the buying trends of "high-end collectors." I think the frustration that I would have is that even if I was able to muster up and justify spending $13K on a jersey, I just can't see getting anywhere close to that on the secondary market, should I decide to sell it down the road. I had to work the night the auction concluded, but checked the final prices this morning and was absolutely stunned by the results. It'll be very interesting to see what effect these sales have on the hobby in the long term...

sportscentury
03-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Reid- I also really appreciate hearing your insight on the NBA game worn market. I really wanted the Amar'e all star jersey, but I couldn't afford to bid more than $1500 for it, even though it would have made a great compliment to the Christmas Day Amar'e jersey I won last year from NBA Auctions. If I remember correctly, I paid a shade over $1500 for that one, which looks like grand larceny when compared to the price of the all star jersey. Plus, Stoudemire wore the Christmas day jersey for the entire game and played quite well (25 pts and 13 boards in a last second loss to the arch-rival Spurs), while only wearing the all star jersey that was auctioned for the first half.

I totally agree with your analysis of things, especially with regards to the buying trends of "high-end collectors." I think the frustration that I would have is that even if I was able to muster up and justify spending $13K on a jersey, I just can't see getting anywhere close to that on the secondary market, should I decide to sell it down the road. I had to work the night the auction concluded, but checked the final prices this morning and was absolutely stunned by the results. It'll be very interesting to see what effect these sales have on the hobby in the long term...

Reed, if you ever decide to sell STAT's Christmas Day jersey, please do drop me a line. I'll be happy to give you a good price for it. Thank you.

worldchamps
03-06-2010, 11:09 AM
No l think those are all great points Reid. I was unaware you could consign to Meigray? I knew they did photomatch letters, but i still have been unable to figure out pricing or how that works....Barry???

Yeah you are probably right about next year too...all it takes is 2 people wanting it, and then it all comes down to who blinks.

Maybe Meigray can get the players to change each quarter next year...haha

Barry also mentioned something about there being multiple issued jerseys in different sizes, that the players tried on to see what fit best.....so well see what happens to those.

legaleagle92481
03-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Reid,

I will go higher I honestly went into the auction expecting to walk away with the Duncan and at least one other high end jersey for my 13k. I knew that Exquiste bid on everything but I doubted someone would pay that much for every single jersey no matter how loaded they are. Keep in mind though the prices are very inflated because if he let me win one of the jerseysat my final bid and my money was spent I would have stopped bidding and he would have gotten the rest of the jerseys much cheaper as me and him were the only ones throwing out the high numbers except someone else bid 10 grand on D-Rose.

Allstar and finals jerseys are worth more in my mind because they are from a high moment in a player's career and there are not that many of them likely ever to be on the market. If a guy is a 10x allstar that means only 10 allstar jerseys will ever be on the market. (assuming he keeps the second half ones he is issued). And most players make it to only one finals if they are lucky. Take for example Iverson his career appears done he played in one Finals in a HOF career or Dwade the Heat are not likely to get back anytime soon. Some great players like Nash have not even been to one Finals. I think obviously milestone jerseys are in the same league. What would someone pay for Kobe's 81 point game jersey? As for your Duncan a rookie year jersey of a HOFer top 20 player ever is defintely extremely valuable. Is it authenticated by anyone? And I have seen Exquisite buy stuff from Ebay in the past since they scrambled the winning bidder ids idk if he has lately though.

mbenga28
03-06-2010, 12:46 PM
thanks Barry.

These jerseys might have went for more because they are the preview of the new age materials that will be incorporated for all teams jerseys next season. not really impressed that the names, numbers and team logos on the back collar are heat pressed but that's the way it is.

mbenga28
03-06-2010, 12:49 PM
No l think those are all great points Reid. I was unaware you could consign to Meigray? I knew they did photomatch letters, but i still have been unable to figure out pricing or how that works....Barry???

Yeah you are probably right about next year too...all it takes is 2 people wanting it, and then it all comes down to who blinks.

Maybe Meigray can get the players to change each quarter next year...haha

Barry also mentioned something about there being multiple issued jerseys in different sizes, that the players tried on to see what fit best.....so well see what happens to those.

aren't the Timberwolves Garnett jerseys co-signed, maybe Barry could clarify if that's the case. at least I thought that was the case with hockey jerseys that have an asterik next to them.

sportscentury
03-06-2010, 02:27 PM
I will go higher I honestly went into the auction expecting to walk away with the Duncan and at least one other high end jersey for my 13k. I knew that Exquiste bid on everything but I doubted someone would pay that much for every single jersey no matter how loaded they are. Keep in mind though the prices are very inflated because if he let me win one of the jerseysat my final bid and my money was spent I would have stopped bidding and he would have gotten the rest of the jerseys much cheaper as me and him were the only ones throwing out the high numbers except someone else bid 10 grand on D-Rose.

Allstar and finals jerseys are worth more in my mind because they are from a high moment in a player's career and there are not that many of them likely ever to be on the market. If a guy is a 10x allstar that means only 10 allstar jerseys will ever be on the market. (assuming he keeps the second half ones he is issued). And most players make it to only one finals if they are lucky. Take for example Iverson his career appears done he played in one Finals in a HOF career or Dwade the Heat are not likely to get back anytime soon. Some great players like Nash have not even been to one Finals. I think obviously milestone jerseys are in the same league. What would someone pay for Kobe's 81 point game jersey? As for your Duncan a rookie year jersey of a HOFer top 20 player ever is defintely extremely valuable. Is it authenticated by anyone? And I have seen Exquisite buy stuff from Ebay in the past since they scrambled the winning bidder ids idk if he has lately though.

Legal, how do you know that someone else would not have stepped in and bid more if you had not bid as high as you did? I know one person (a friend, not GUU member) who definitely would have. It's impossible to know what the realized prices would have been if you had won the first two auctions you bid on and then decided to not bid on any further lots. There are definitely some other hardcore collectors in this scramble besides Exquisite and you. Digger26, Sonny25, and ChannelingTheTruth are just a few who immediately come to mind, but there are several others. Not saying you're wrong, just saying that there is no way to know.

sportscentury
03-06-2010, 02:29 PM
thanks Barry.

These jerseys might have went for more because they are the preview of the new age materials that will be incorporated for all teams jerseys next season. not really impressed that the names, numbers and team logos on the back collar are heat pressed but that's the way it is.

It would really surprise me to find out that this factor played a significant role in the bidding.

legaleagle92481
03-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Legal, how do you know that someone else would not have stepped in and bid more if you had not bid as high as you did? I know one person (a friend, not GUU member) who definitely would have. It's impossible to know what the realized prices would have been if you had won the first two auctions you bid on and then decided to not bid on any further lots. There are definitely some other hardcore collectors in this scramble besides Exquisite and you. Digger26, Sonny25, and ChannelingTheTruth are just a few who immediately come to mind, but there are several others. Not saying you're wrong, just saying that there is no way to know.

Well on most I did not place bids until there was less than five minutes left and then we went back and forth for awhile with the countdown clock restarting without anyone else jumping in. And I missed a few as someone else said the Carmello, Billups and Durant went for much, much less. I know there are other hardcore collectors I just think alot of people were scared off by Exquiste on most of the jerseys. The exceptions seemed to be D-Rose who was over 10k before I jumped in and Lebron who went for over 20k who I did not place a bid on. I was speaking from an overall standpoint. If there had been a Kobe or a Shaq (very possibly last Allstar game had he been picked) then I think that those jerseys would have stimulated alot of bidding independent of me like the Lebron did.

legaleagle92481
03-07-2010, 12:54 AM
thanks Barry.

I think it was just people wanting them because they were allstar game jerseys. Honestly if they were made out of toliet paper I would have bid just as much.

sportscentury
03-07-2010, 10:35 PM
In case folks are interested, NBA Auctions has put up the autographed pro-cuts of the All Star Game:

http://auctions.nba.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/feature.d2w/report?sort_order=priced&wl=51136034&sort=&accept=&gallery

mbenga28
03-18-2010, 06:28 AM
FYI T-Mobile jerseys are now up, good luck to those bidding.

Sonny25
03-18-2010, 06:49 AM
I ended up getting the Gerald Wallace pro-cut jersey.

Very happy about that, I really wanted some sort of Wallace all-star item & this ended up being a very cheap alternative.
Hopefully I can get in on the dunk jersey, should those go up.

MileHighFan
03-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Jerseys, shorts, shooting shirts... and Kevin Durant's socks from H.O.R.S.E. are up for auction now, although they're not through the MGG.

mbenga28
03-25-2010, 06:50 AM
additional All Star Weekend Events jerseys and shorts have been listed for your consideration. good luck to all bidders.

mbenga28
03-30-2010, 08:24 PM
the final price for Durant's socks was pretty incredible.

Sonny25
03-30-2010, 09:03 PM
LMAO @ paying $400+ for a pair of socks.

:rolleyes:

jimphilips
03-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Seems like Mr. exquisite613 has no plan to let go any of this year's Allstar items.

kuljo
03-31-2010, 12:06 AM
WOW! I've been watching this forum and the auction and all I can do is shake my head ... :confused:

Looks like he's not letting go of anything ....Exquisite613 is taking even the t-shirts and socks now. He used to leave these items for the middle income :D

I think what he is trying to do is control the market. The law of supply and demand.

Since he has invested so much in this hobby already, he wants to make sure that it will cost all fans and hobbyist ( I hope I spelled this right) so much just to own even just a t-shirt or a pair of socks.

If he takes each and every item there is in the auction, it will drive the supply very low, while driving the demand and the desire very high.

The only way to hopefully give us a chance one day of owning a Durant, a Kobe, a Lebron or a Wade jersey at a sane price is to not engage in a bidding war with him. Ignore the NBA auction for a while and let him win all the items for a very cheap price. DO NOT BID DAYS OR HOURS IN ADVANCE, because he comes in the last 5 minutes anyways to snatch the items from you.

If you think that you are punishing his wallet by engaging in a bidding war to jack-up the price ....you are wrong ... you are dead wrong. He is rich! PERIOD!

Until and unless Meigray and NBA Auction put a limit to the number of items an individual can take home (which I highly doubt) this will be the trend. None of you will ever get an All-Star jersey.

He has turned from simply an ultimate fan and collector into a rich businessman who is controlling the market.

Well, those of you who are also collecting in hopes of reselling later will not like this post and comment of mine, but it is what it is. :eek:

LAW OF SUPPLY AND DEMAND!!!

drexler22
03-31-2010, 04:06 AM
I was the one who put in a $400 bid for the socks, and was winning for like 10 seconds lol.

How does these things work? i put in a bid of $400 at around 10 seconds left, but they added another 5 minutes to the auction? huh?

Who is this exquisite guy? is he only after certain all-star gear etc or everything up for auction?

legaleagle92481
03-31-2010, 08:30 AM
I was the one who put in a $400 bid for the socks, and was winning for like 10 seconds lol.

How does these things work? i put in a bid of $400 at around 10 seconds left, but they added another 5 minutes to the auction? huh?

Who is this exquisite guy? is he only after certain all-star gear etc or everything up for auction?

When someone bids with less than five minutes left another five minutes is automatically added to the clock. Unlike Ebay there is no sniping on NBA Auctions. Whether you bid with 4 minutes 59 seconds or 10 seconds left the result is the same 5 minutes gets put on the clock. Exquiste has a second ID on there jtnbafan and he buys up nearly all of the big name stuff that comes up for auction using those two ids. He won every allstar jersey this year and last. He also paid 35k for a Kobe finals jersey last year and bought many other Finals jerseys as well. He also bids on the other jerseys that hit. The only thing that will help other collectors is MEIgray adding more teams to its gu jersey program. Then more star jerseys will be on the market. They might not be allstar, finals, special event jerseys but they are better than the current alternative of nothing.

mbenga28
03-31-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm curious to know what the mentality of bidders will be for the next set of All Star game used that concludes next week, will you even bother bidding since you already know jt will sweep them all or still give it a try and maybe get lucky?

indyred
04-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Anybody got a list of what NBA ALL Star stuff listed has sold for so far tgis year? Anything good bargins. Seems last year couple years the dunk, skills 3pt contest type stuff would go pretty cheap. Didn't Gasol jersey go real cheap and was photomatched to games during regular season played.

Sonny25
04-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Well I've officially decided to neverbuy from NBA Auctions/MeiGray again.

I've spent thousands & thousands on their items, even bid ALOTof the all-star jerseys up to unbelievable #'s last month.
I easily went over the $30,000 I had set aside for myself & still came away empty handed.
I didn't bid on a single item this go around, I figured instead of driving up the prices like I did last time, I'd let them go for far less then what I would of been willing to pay for.

I was tempted to go for the DeJuan Blair & Kevin Love jerseys especially, but once I saw exquisite/jtnbafan I decided not to.
No point in driving up the prices & helping out MeiGray/NBA Auctions.
Last thing I will ever do again.

indyred
04-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Well I've officially decided to neverbuy from NBA Auctions/MeiGray again.

I've spent thousands & thousands on their items, even bid ALOTof the all-star jerseys up to unbelievable #'s last month.
I easily went over the $30,000 I had set aside for myself & still came away empty handed.
I didn't bid on a single item this go around, I figured instead of driving up the prices like I did last time, I'd let them go for far less then what I would of been willing to pay for.

I was tempted to go for the DeJuan Blair & Kevin Love jerseys especially, but once I saw exquisite/jtnbafan I decided not to.
No point in driving up the prices & helping out MeiGray/NBA Auctions.
Last thing I will ever do again.

Last year didn't exquisite not go after the skills and slam dunk jerseys? Some of those went for reasonable prices.

Sonny25
04-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Last year didn't exquisite not go after the skills and slam dunk jerseys? Some of those went for reasonable prices.

The guy spent $460 on a pair of socks worn in one of the worst all-star events of all-time.
So odds are he is going to go after everything in the other events as well, even one of the worst dunk contest in NBA history.

More power to him.

kuljo
04-01-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm telling you all....STOP BIDDING!!! DO NOT allow him to control the market.

If everyone boycotts the NBA Auction or Meigray Auction until some rule changes are set in place, Meigray and the NBA will start to lose profit. Then, maybe that will force them to change some rules to make this hobby interesting again.

Just imagine the remaining all-star items just closing at $100 ... the Finals jerseys just closing at the starting bid price?. A Kobe, Lebron , Howard, or Garnett Finals jersey closing at the starting bid price? :p

Going to a bidding war with jtnbafan is NOT going to hurt his wallet. It will only make Meigray and the NBA happier :rolleyes: The happier and richer they get, the more they care less about the other hobbyists or fans.

Aren't you convinced yet that jtnbafan/exquisite613 is rich and does not care about the price???!!!

If you want to put a stop to this madness, control your itch, and stop bidding! :cool:

kuljo
04-02-2010, 12:00 AM

Like I said, that is because he is controlling the market. He will let you guys win some to drive-up the interest again. Then, once everyone is excited and salivating over the possibility that jtnbafan might be absent again, he re-appears and cleans the house again. :p

I can't believe he took even the t-shirts this year. What does that tell you?! He is in power-trip mode. :eek:

kuljo
04-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Anybody got a list of what NBA ALL Star stuff listed has sold for so far tgis year? Anything good bargins. Seems last year couple years the dunk, skills 3pt contest type stuff would go pretty cheap. Didn't Gasol jersey go real cheap and was photomatched to games during regular season played.

Are you in the marketing department of Meigray or NBA Auction? :D

legaleagle92481
04-02-2010, 12:22 AM

If everyone boycotts the NBA Auction or Meigray Auction until some rule changes are set in place, Meigray and the NBA will start to lose profit. Then, maybe that will force them to change some rules to make this hobby interesting again.

Just imagine the remaining all-star items just closing at $100 ... the Finals jerseys just closing at the starting bid price?. A Kobe, Lebron , Howard, or Garnett Finals jersey closing at the starting bid price? :p

Going to a bidding war with jtnbafan is NOT going to hurt his wallet. It will only make Meigray and the NBA happier :rolleyes: The happier and richer they get, the more they care less about the other hobbyists or fans.

Aren't you convinced yet that jtnbafan/exquisite613 is rich and does not care about the price???!!!

If you want to put a stop to this madness, control your itch, and stop bidding! :cool:

i agree with you. i am all for free market, etc. but it is not a good thing if one person is winning every item of consequence i think for the good of the hobby all bidders should be limitied to one id and x number of wins per auction. otherwise people are just going to get frustrated and stop collecting because how can you collect if you cannot obtain items. yes meigray has some on their site and that is great but there is only a hand full of allstar players on there and once you get your fill of them, then what? what are your other sources? unlike other sports teams do not sell directly to the public. maybe every once in awhile a photomatchable jersey emerges on the market but that does not steadily happen and the good stuff goes into his collection and stays there. which is also part of the harm what he is doing causes. i also collect nfl gamers and alot of the jerseys i have bought have been from people who purchased them off the league auction site at somepoint so there is a stream available of them even after the league site auctioned them.
i had thought maybe if people aggressively bid he would run out of money or get tired of bidding so much and let a big item or two go every now and then but when he is paying what he paid for durant socks noway that will happen. i had 13 grand to invest in nba jerseys tried to in the allstar auction finishied runnerup a bunch of times despite bidding the whole wad on most of the items i bid on. i was going to save up and come back with more next time but then i saw some nfl stuff i wanted and decided why pass it up to bid even more money and win nothing. so until it changes i will be content buying nfl stuff.

indyred
04-02-2010, 12:25 AM

are you exquisite pr man. I'm sure he would love it if no one bid and he got great NBA gamers for next to nothing. Better off bidding them up and tapping him out at some point. Also no one in their right mind thinks he is doing this to control the market. If he started selling them off he would lose a ton of money. If you think people flip jerseys bought on any of the NBA.com/NFL.com/NHL.com/MLB.com sites your crazy. 95% of the time when someone resells off those they take loses, sometimes huge. Exquisite has posted on here before and is just a collector. His collection has to be the best NBA gamer collection on the planet.

kuljo
04-02-2010, 12:43 AM
are you exquisite pr man. I'm sure he would love it if no one bid and he got great NBA gamers for next to nothing. Better off bidding them up and tapping him out at some point. Also no one in their right mind thinks he is doing this to control the market. If he started selling them off he would lose a ton of money. If you think people flip jerseys bought on any of the NBA.com/NFL.com/NHL.com/MLB.com sites your crazy. 95% of the time when someone resells off those they take loses, sometimes huge. Exquisite has posted on here before and is just a collector. His collection has to be the best NBA gamer collection on the planet.

You see ... you are still trying to convince hobbyist to continue to drive-up the price. You really are working for Meigray or NBA Auction.

Exquisite613/jtnbafan has been doing this for years and so far, there is NO sign of tapping-out. He is even becoming meaner by taking even the t-shirts.

Well, its up to the collectors/bidders, which approach they want to take. A lot of them have already tried the approach of over-bidding in hopes of tapping him out, but that has not worked and he has become even meaner this year. So, why not try the approach of boycotting NBA Auction.

Jtnbafan/exquisete613 has also used the name of jtaubenfeld last year.

http://auctions.nba.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=102747945&prmenbr=51136034&aunbr=103094655

I guess everybody will be happy if the NBA Auction can put a limit of 4 items per person per auction date. I dont think putting a limit will make them bankrupt or lose money, since once JT has had his fill, the rest of the collectors will be in a bidding war for the rest of the items. Everybody wins!

Texans
04-02-2010, 02:07 AM
You see ... you are still trying to convince hobbyist to continue to drive-up the price. You really are working for Meigray or NBA Auction.

Exquisite613/jtnbafan has been doing this for years and so far, there is NO sign of tapping-out. He is even becoming meaner by taking even the t-shirts.

Well, its up to the collectors/bidders, which approach they want to take. A lot of them have already tried the approach of over-bidding in hopes of tapping him out, but that has not worked and he has become even meaner this year. So, why not try the approach of boycotting NBA Auction.

I dont know what you mean by he became even meaner. He just a big basketball fan and has an awesome collection. I think most people if they had that type of money would buy everything too. Honestly, I believe the best bet to acquire a All Star jersey is if there were two sets.

Jojo

sportscentury
04-02-2010, 03:27 AM
What is it about this thread and new members coming out of the woodwork to introduce themselves with wildly inappropriate posts? Incredible.

A couple of you guys will be lucky if NBA Auctions and MeiGray do not ban you from their auctions. Just sayin'...

drexler22
04-02-2010, 03:44 AM
After the Durant socks episode and knowing his history of outbidding members here, i'd decided to take a back seat today. No point even browsing these auctions imo. I strongly recommend NBA Meigray put limit's in place as to how many auctions a member can win.

mbenga28
04-02-2010, 06:05 AM
I think those who claim unfairness in these auctions should perhaps evaluate yourselves, especially considering looking for a higher paying position or cutting back on some of your personal expenses so you would have the sufficient funds to possibly win one of these auctions. as someone once said to me when I complained about the high standards of single women today, "quit yer bitchin'"

Sonny25
04-02-2010, 07:23 AM
A couple of you guys will be lucky if NBA Auctions and MeiGray do not ban you from their auctions. Just sayin'...

Ban them from what? Not winning another auction?

skinsfan0521
04-02-2010, 07:52 AM
I'm not an NBA collector at all and have no interest in these items, but I don't see why anybody would ever put a limit of # of items won per auction. All they would be doing is limiting their potential income. That's a terrible business practice. I don't even know why that's coming up as an option to "fix" this??

sportscentury
04-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Ban them from what? Not winning another auction?

I won the Shaq Christmas jersey on NBA/MeiGray Auctions a mere two months ago. Digger26 won the LBJ jersey in that auction, as well. There were also several other winners, but I can't remember them all. I know you're frustrated, but let's be reasonable. Do you really think no one else will ever win an NBA/MeiGray Auctions item again? Come on.

Listen, do as you please. What do I care? I just think some of the posts in this thread are out of line. Whether it is you, Doodle, Kuljo, Amit Tailor, or whomever, there will always be bidders who are frustrated that they didn't get the items that they desired. No offense intended, but I really don't understand the crying and complaining. Sometimes supply/demand treats us well and sometimes it doesn't. It is what it is.

sportscentury
04-02-2010, 07:59 AM
I'm not an NBA collector at all and have no interest in these items, but I don't see why anybody would ever put a limit of # of items won per auction. All they would be doing is limiting their potential income. That's a terrible business practice. I don't even know why that's coming up as an option to "fix" this??

+1

Not a great business idea, but definitely worth a chuckle.

shafrancollectibles.com
04-02-2010, 08:22 AM
I was not a bidder on these jerseys but have followed this thread. Despite the fact that one buyer is winning everything, auctions are the fairest way to make it an open market - the auction process allows anybody to bid ANY AMOUNT and have a chance to win something.

If this one buyer seems to have unlimited money supply, the only way to try to challenge that is to bid a jersey up to an unreasonable number and see if he chases it - for example, if Kobe is generally selling at $30g, one bidder needs to be willing to go to $60g if they are that interested in obtaining it. At some point, he will either get tired of way over-spending to continue winning everything, or he will still win items that have no chance of holding their value in the long term, which can't be enticing to most people, even with very deep pockets.

There is no way Meigray/NBA Auctions would limit the bids somebody could place - that would be detrimental to their business.

legaleagle92481
04-02-2010, 09:12 AM
A limit is not a bad business idea at all. Stores do it all the time with hot products and ticketmaster does it with event tickets. Any business that relies on one customer to sustain it is on risky ground. I mean what if he dies tommorrow or suffers an unexpected business reversal? The demand is very high and there are precious few of the top jerseys available on the market so prices would not drop off as much as people might think, they may even rise because once he hits the limit people will keep bidding because they feel they can actually win rather than just bid him up. Plus it would create a secondary market as people sell stuff off as most collectors inevitably do whether it is because they need the money or want new stuff, etc. Which the basketball game used hobby defintely needs you see MLB authentic, Steiner and team certified baseball items, you see NFl auctions, team, Jo and steiner certified football items and MEIgray and team certified hockey items being sold here, by various dealers and on auction sites all the time but you rarely see that with basketball. As far as the people telling people to go find better jobs just to bid on jerseys it is doubtful that there are many jobs that pay you so much that you have a few hundred thousand a year to spend on jerseys. And the idea of placing extremely high bids won't work because ok maybe someone tries that and it works that once or a few times but is anyone going to keep trying it? The idea is to keep as many people interested and involved in the hobby as possible because it benefits all of us.

legaleagle92481
04-02-2010, 09:14 AM
And for the person that said they should make two sets of allstar jerseys. They actually do but as Barry said one set is gifted to the players.

skinsfan0521
04-02-2010, 09:29 AM
A limit is not a bad business idea at all. Stores do it all the time with hot products and ticketmaster does it with event tickets. Any business that relies on one customer to sustain it is on risky ground. I mean what if he dies tommorrow or suffers an unexpected business reversal? The demand is very high and there are precious few of the top jerseys available on the market so prices would not drop off as much as people might think, they may even rise because once he hits the limit people will keep bidding because they feel they can actually win rather than just bid him up. Plus it would create a secondary market as people sell stuff off as most collectors inevitably do whether it is because they need the money or want new stuff, etc. Which the basketball game used hobby defintely needs you see MLB authentic, Steiner and team certified baseball items, you see NFl auctions, team, Jo and steiner certified football items and MEIgray and team certified hockey items being sold here, by various dealers and on auction sites all the time but you rarely see that with basketball. As far as the people telling people to go find better jobs just to bid on jerseys it is doubtful that there are many jobs that pay you so much that you have a few hundred thousand a year to spend on jerseys. And the idea of placing extremely high bids won't work because ok maybe someone tries that and it works that once or a few times but is anyone going to keep trying it? The idea is to keep as many people interested and involved in the hobby as possible because it benefits all of us.
I disagree...

Ticketmaster does it because they don't want the scalpers making more money off the tickets than they can. They only do it to keep their name synonymous with ordering tickets and not "Joe's Tickets". It's purely a ploy to keep their name in people's minds.

Stores do it for a couple reasons. For one, to drive up interest. If somebody tells you that you can have a limited amount of things, that automatically makes you want to know "why?". "Is it going to be a really special item that will go up in value? Why can I only have 1? I want more!" Also, they do it so they can get more customers through their door in hopes of having them buy some other stuff while they're in there. For stores, it's all about foot traffic (or online traffic, whichever you'd prefer). If one person comes in and buys 100 Nintendo Wii's, there's a lot less chance that other items will sell. If 100 people come in to buy one each, there's a good % of people who will buy other stuff while they're there.

But, in an auction format and with something that are one of a kind items, it makes no business sense. The only thing they do by limiting items, is limit their income. Something that nobody is going to sign up for... especially in an economy like this and they've got somebody buying used socks for $700+. Just not gonna happen IMO.

mbenga28
04-02-2010, 09:33 AM
this is becoming repetitive, I guarantee we will be having these same posts again when next week's round of auctions conclude. let me ask this, those who are complaining about this, are you just going to sit there and complain some more or will you pick yourself up and do something about it (like consider bidding a little, just a little higher?)

legaleagle92481
04-02-2010, 09:44 AM
I disagree...

Ticketmaster does it because they don't want the scalpers making more money off the tickets than they can. They only do it to keep their name synonymous with ordering tickets and not "Joe's Tickets". It's purely a ploy to keep their name in people's minds.

Stores do it for a couple reasons. For one, to drive up interest. If somebody tells you that you can have a limited amount of things, that automatically makes you want to know "why?". "Is it going to be a really special item that will go up in value? Why can I only have 1? I want more!" Also, they do it so they can get more customers through their door in hopes of having them buy some other stuff while they're in there. For stores, it's all about foot traffic (or online traffic, whichever you'd prefer). If one person comes in and buys 100 Nintendo Wii's, there's a lot less chance that other items will sell. If 100 people come in to buy one each, there's a good % of people who will buy other stuff while they're there.

But, in an auction format and with something that are one of a kind items, it makes no business sense. The only thing they do by limiting items, is limit their income. Something that nobody is going to sign up for... especially in an economy like this and they've got somebody buying used socks for $700+. Just not gonna happen IMO.

Oh I know a limit will never happen I am just arguing that if it did it would benefit everyone. And with your point on stores using limits to stimulate interest in other items applies here as well. After people get a few jerseys and start to build a collection then maybe they will bid more often or buy some from MEIgray's site to add to their collection. Or bid or buy accessory items to go with it ie shorts, warmups etc. Plus if people are limited it creates a strong secondary market because now the collector has a jersey he wants to unload that JT or some other wellheeled collector wanted but was unable to obtain because of the limit. Then such collectors will bid on or buy that jersey resulting in possibly a higher price on the secondary market and the collector making money. And in no way I am saying the limit should be one item either but should vary by the number of items up for auction like if there are ten items say noone can get more than seven. This way MEIgray/nba still makes big money because there will be furious bidding on the items that are left.

Texans
04-02-2010, 10:02 AM
And for the person that said they should make two sets of allstar jerseys. They actually do but as Barry said one set is gifted to the players.

I mean make both set available for auction. The players dont need there items. lol

Jojo

mbenga28
04-02-2010, 10:07 AM
besides MeiGray, who else sells game used basketball jerseys? I know Beckett Media has several, like a Steve Nash game worn road jersey that ended last night, but anyone else?

indyred
04-02-2010, 10:17 AM
besides MeiGray, who else sells game used basketball jerseys? I know Beckett Media has several, like a Steve Nash game worn road jersey that ended last night, but anyone else?

I would only feel comfortable buying NBA game used stuff from MeiGray. It is huge they got hooked up with NBA. Before them, NBA game used stuff was wild west. With pro cuts getting passed off as gamers left and right.

skinsfan0521
04-02-2010, 10:21 AM
legal - I see that we both basically agree, but I'm still doubting that it would benefit Meigray/NBA to get somebody interested in buying a $100 wristband instead of having this jt guy spend $30k on a jersey cuz he's in a bidding war. lol

sportscentury
04-02-2010, 10:22 AM

Of course. Pro-Am Sports/gameuseduniforms.com and Ball Park Heroes each get a ton of stuff. There are others, as well, but these two are pretty big outfits.

jimphilips
04-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Of course. Pro-Am Sports/gameuseduniforms.com and Ball Park Heroes each get a ton of stuff. There are others, as well, but these two are pretty big outfits.

BPH don't have many basketball items for sale these days. As for GWU, looks like they don't distinguish GI from GU, they just sell all their jerseys as Game Used, not to mention many of the prices are pretty crazy.

sportscentury
04-02-2010, 02:27 PM
BPH don't have many basketball items for sale these days. As for GWU, looks like they don't distinguish GI from GU, they just sell all their jerseys as Game Used, not to mention many of the prices are pretty crazy.

Not quite. BPH sells many game worn basketball items every week. They just don't keep their website updated. Kim and David just updated customers with their new email address: bph32us@yahoo.com (bph32us@yahoo.com). Feel free to contact them with your interests. Kim is a GUU member, as well. Over the years, I have purchased many Jazz and Pacers jerseys from them that that have been photomatched.

I assume by GWU that you meant Pro-Am Sports/gameuseduniforms.com and not George Washington University. Pro-Am regularly makes team purchases and they absolutely distinguish between game worn and non-game worn/game-issued items. I would recommend emailing Morgan McCreary at morganmccreary1@gmail.com with any specific questions you may have. I recently picked up a Shaquille O'Neal photomatched game worn road jersey that originally came from them. My friend just picked up the Shaq home jersey, also quickly photomatched.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

drexler22
04-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Not quite. BPH sells many game worn basketball items every week. They just don't keep their website updated. Kim and David just updated customers with their new email address: bph32us@yahoo.com (bph32us@yahoo.com). Feel free to contact them with your interests. Kim is a GUU member, as well. Over the years, I have purchased many Jazz and Pacers jerseys from them that that have been photomatched.

I assume by GWU that you meant Pro-Am Sports/gameuseduniforms.com and not George Washington University. Pro-Am regularly makes team purchases and they absolutely distinguish between game worn and non-game worn/game-issued items. I would recommend emailing Morgan McCreary at morganmccreary1@gmail.com with any specific questions you may have. I recently picked up a Shaquille O'Neal photomatched game worn road jersey that originally came from them. My friend just picked up the Shaq home jersey, also quickly photomatched.

What is BHP,can you provide a link to there website?

BarryMeisel
04-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Hi everybody,

We have been following this thread with interest. We appreciate the comments, the passion for the hobby, the constructive criticism and the suggestions (objective and subjective).

Those of you who know us at MeiGray know that during our 13 years in the hobby, we have always recognized that open and honest conversation with collectors is the best way to do business.

Kuljo, I don't know who you are. I appreciate and respect your comments, but I must take serious exception to one statement you made. You wrote: "The happier and richer they get, the more they care less about the other hobbyists or fans."

I vehemently disagree with that mischaracterization. If you knew our business model, and our standards for authenticity and integrity, you would know that we have earned our place in this hobby because we care deeply about hobbyists and fans.

We believe the best way to EARN OUR PROFIT is to earn it by providing the best products, the best customer service, and unparalleled ABSOLUTE AUTHENTICITY. And we can do that, because we are collectors, too, and we think like collectors.

Yes, we are a for-profit business. But from the day I introduced MeiGray in the summer of 1997 we followed the belief that the best way to succeed in the sports memorabilia industry, both financially and reputation-wise, is to offer exemplary customer service, unparalled authenticity, and fair business practices.

The NBA is a key partner, and we will always represent them professionally. We are aware of the issues behind discussed here. We have had internal conversations about these issues, and will continue to do so.

I think we all know that it is not always possible to please everybody. But I pledge that we will do our very best to keep you collectors, the hobby at large, our partners, and our business model in mind as we consider this issue, and any future issue we may face.

Respectfully,

Barry

jimphilips
04-02-2010, 04:32 PM

Thanks a lot for the information.

I shouldn't have made my judgement before doing extensive homework. But I do feel confused about Pro-Am/GWU. They have like hundreds of NBA jerseys in stock, but they mention nothing about the usage of the jerseys in their website, and just call them "game jerseys" instead. And I wonder how they determine if the jerseys are issued or used. Did they keep records in the first place when collecting the jerseys from the teams? Or they just look at the jersesy and look for the "signs of usage".

I know it's a little off topic. Anyway I think I will just email them to figure out this issue.

sportscentury
04-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks a lot for the information.

I shouldn't have made my judgement before doing extensive homework. But I do feel confused about Pro-Am/GWU. They have like hundreds of NBA jerseys in stock, but they mention nothing about the usage of the jerseys in their website, and just call them "game jerseys" instead. And I wonder how they determine if the jerseys are issued or used. Did they keep records in the first place when collecting the jerseys from the teams? Or they just look at the jersesy and look for the "signs of usage".

I know it's a little off topic. Anyway I think I will just email them to figure out this issue.

Ah, GWU = gamewornuniforms. Got it now. Sorry, my brain was stuck on gameUSEDuniforms for some reason. Yes, just contact them and ask about the jerseys/uniforms in which you have interest. The game issued/game worn distinction is not always clear from their website.

And Drexler22, BPH is Ball Park Heroes. The website (which I believe is long outdated) is http://www.ballparkheroes.net/. Better to contact them directly, as well.

kuljo
04-02-2010, 11:45 PM
What is it about this thread and new members coming out of the woodwork to introduce themselves with wildly inappropriate posts? Incredible.

No need to ban me .. I have no intention of registering until I see a limit in the items for bidder. I am already annoyed just watching him what he has been doing. I can't imagine how those who have bid and lost are feeling.

Yes, I am new in this gameusedforum which I stumbled upon while searching for jtnbafan and exquisite613 in yahoo to see how far back he has been doing this.

I am also new in the NBA Auction thing. I was made aware of its existence by some posts in Ebay that had mentioned NBA Auction and Meigray. I haven't even started bidding or registering in the NBA Auction and I am already discouraged. I was really shocked when I saw jtnbafan and exquisite613's names in every other items in the NBA All-Star jersey auction.

At first, I was amazed at how 2 people where dominating the auction, but later found out that those 2 names are actually only 1 person, who has been doing this for the past few years.:eek:

I've been trying to understand why he cleans-out the house. At first I thought that he is really just a big fan of the NBA who has a very deep pocket who will collect all the unique jerseys, but the more I dig about the past auctions, read about all the previous posts and watch what he did with all those t-shirts and socks. Then, I realized that he is not just a collector and a fan, but also someone who is beginning to want to control the market, because he has already invested so much.

The tupperwares will continue to give excuses for his actions, but it still does not make sense for someone who has arguably the best NBA collection of jerseys to also be getting all the t-shirts! How will those t-shirts look in his display room? The designs are not even attractive or eye-candies :rolleyes:

If you will get real ... his actions really look more like a power-trip. I've seen his few posts here, so for sure he has seen what people been saying about his conquests. How some of the posts would have massaged his ego even more....

Get real! I will never agree that he is doing this innocently.

Obviously, resellers will always be his friends :D

sportscentury
04-03-2010, 03:03 AM
The tupperwares will continue to give excuses for his actions

Tupperwares? Welcome back to the conversation, Doodle! We missed you.

For all of the GUUers playing along at home, see Doodle's complaints and criticisms on the same exact topic in this thread (in particular, see post 21):
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=26181

Doodle is "Chris Anderson." Kuljo, if you got tired of playing Birdman, why didn't you just go with Melo or Chauncey?

Boy, I wish we would start using ID VERIFY on GUU. Mods, you just don't know how much easier your lives would be if folks' real identities were required.

allstarsplus
04-03-2010, 06:13 AM
Tupperwares? Welcome back to the conversation, Doodle! We missed you.

For all of the GUUers playing along at home, see Doodle's complaints and criticisms on the same exact topic in this thread (in particular, see post 21):
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=26181

Doodle is "Chris Anderson." Kuljo, if you got tired of playing Birdman, why didn't you just go with Melo or Chauncey?

Boy, I wish we would start using ID VERIFY on GUU. Mods, you just don't know how much easier your lives would be if folks' real identities were required.

Reid - The internet sure has its pitfalls. True identity can be difficult at times.

legaleagle92481
04-03-2010, 11:04 AM
i thought up a more realistic suggestion than a limit. i think in the big auctions like allstars, finals they should set aside 2 or 3 jerseys to sell at a fixed price. not even like the kobes and lebrons but like the gerald wallaces. then advertise that they will go on sale online at x date and time and first person to buy each gets them. it would generate alot of excitement i think and create an interesting competition and if they really wanted to make it interesting they could limit it to one purchase of such per person per half hour to ensure that different people get them and if for some reason some did not go right away within a short period of time people could buy more. they could also set a high price because i think collectors would be more willing to pay it because unlike a bid they know they will get the item.

indyred
04-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Anybody know what deal is on the NBA green week jerseys this year. I think they are wearing them this week. Is it only a patch teams are wearing for it? Have any teams planning a green jersey, like in past. I would think some of these will hit NBA auctions.

mbenga28
04-08-2010, 07:41 AM
just a friendly bump that another set of All Star Events jerseys concludes tonight, good luck to any members bidding tonight.

Sonny25
04-08-2010, 08:01 PM
No big surprise but looks like exquisite is taking everything again.

I personally know 3 other collectors (4 if you count myself) who refused to bid this time around once they saw his opening bid.
Wonder how many others made a similar decision?

mbenga28
04-08-2010, 08:04 PM
is anyone else having problems refreshing the page to see the current prices?

drexler22
04-08-2010, 08:33 PM
let me ask this, those who are complaining about this, are you just going to sit there and complain some more or will you pick yourself up and do something about it (like consider bidding a little, just a little higher?)

lol is that even possible with cashed up collectors like Exquisite winning everything????????????

nickacs
04-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Wow, exquisite/jtnbafan bought every single item tonight.. Uuuuhhh :confused:

Oh wells.. Seems like you have to come to the table with at least $40k+ for a single jersey and hope that he doesn't outbid you.. hehe..

indyred
04-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Just amazing that someone wins them all, even the shorts from skills stuff. I know it must be frustrating to those that really want to win something from these All Star events, but exquisite/jtnbafan must be the biggest NBA game used collector of all time. Heck from any sport. I've never seen anyone clean up on auctions like he does. Have to give him credit for the passion he must have in collecting this stuff and paying such big prices and keeping it in his collection. I wonder if he displays this stuff, must have a cool set up for it.

legaleagle92481
04-08-2010, 11:15 PM
No big surprise but looks like exquisite is taking everything again.

I personally know 3 other collectors (4 if you count myself) who refused to bid this time around once they saw his opening bid.
Wonder how many others made a similar decision?

i didn't bid either nor will i in the future.

drexler22
04-09-2010, 02:44 AM
Just amazing that someone wins them all, even the shorts from skills stuff. I know it must be frustrating to those that really want to win something from these All Star events, but exquisite/jtnbafan must be the biggest NBA game used collector of all time. Heck from any sport. I've never seen anyone clean up on auctions like he does. Have to give him credit for the passion he must have in collecting this stuff and paying such big prices and keeping it in his collection. I wonder if he displays this stuff, must have a cool set up for it.

does he just bid on nba all-star gear, or generally anything which come's up that is nba game used or auto'd?

mbenga28
04-09-2010, 06:38 AM
do you think jt also purchases league superstar jerseys such as this?

http://store.upperdeck.com/store/Basketball___Dwyane_Wade_Autographed__Inscribed_Ga me_Used_Miami_Heat_Jersey__12_4_09_vs__Lakers____7 6309?Args=

mbenga28
04-09-2010, 06:47 AM
i didn't bid either nor will i in the future.

could you and others who also refuse to bid explain your reasoning to this? I just don't understand it. thanks.

legaleagle92481
04-09-2010, 08:10 AM
does he just bid on nba all-star gear, or generally anything which come's up that is nba game used or auto'd?

he bids on everything on nba auctions that is game used except the scrub stuff and autographed stuff he bids on alot also.

legaleagle92481
04-09-2010, 08:12 AM
do you think jt also purchases league superstar jerseys such as this?

http://store.upperdeck.com/store/Basketball___Dwyane_Wade_Autographed__Inscribed_Ga me_Used_Miami_Heat_Jersey__12_4_09_vs__Lakers____7 6309?Args=

no because the game used stuff he bids on is all 1 of 1 ie allstar jerseys, playoff jerseys, jerseys from special nights ie christmas, latin night. this jersey is a plain regular season jersey like the other 80 odd ones dwayne wears a year.

billie-boy
04-11-2010, 02:35 PM
legaleagle92481,

I am a frequent reader here, and have followed this whole post.

I enjoy your input on the forum, but I have to tell you I really think you got lost in the woods on this thread.

On your post #98, do you even realize what it is you are suggesting? You say you agree to a free market system, but then go on to state you believe there should be "limits" placed on potential bidders (winners)?

I believe if you think really think about what you've said here, you will realize your error, and just let it go.

If there is an organization, museum, group of investors, or just one rich guy who desires to own the whole lot, stock, and barrel of All-Star jerseys being offered from a year, what possible better way, in fairness and honesty, could their be than to do exactly that in an open public auction format? It's not like he's "shilling" them up? He's WINNING them.

I think the point is also emphisized in the fact you were agreeing with a member who turned out to be a prior trouble-maker here, previously banned, and banned again after this thread's reappearance.

Then, you go on in your post #110 to completely contradict yourself after the first four sentences. What if the guy dies? You just get through explaining that relying on "one customer" is a bad idea, but then go on to say upon realization of the guy no longer being an entity in the auction (for any number of reasons), that the value of these items might go UP because collectors may actually realize they finally have a chance to WIN one??

I hope you understand, I am not trying to pick on you, your thoughts, or call you out for any reason. I just think your frustration, as any NBA collector will no doubt share these days, have temporarily clouded your reasoning. There is NOTHING wrong with the auction process we all are witnessing. There is nothing that can be done to "improve" the process for collectors. It is what it is.

Try to look at it this way.

If you were a professaional golfer, it's just a tough time in history to have been living in the profession in the last decade. Why? You've to to go up against Tiger. Life's a bitch sometimes.

Do you get it?

Would it be fair to the other "golfers" if we the PGA were to put "restrictions" on how many tourneys Tiger could win during any given year?

I hope this comes across as a friendly post, as that is my intention. Keep up with your comments as I do enjoy reading them.

legaleagle92481
04-11-2010, 04:30 PM
legaleagle92481,

I am a frequent reader here, and have followed this whole post.

I enjoy your input on the forum, but I have to tell you I really think you got lost in the woods on this thread.

On your post #98, do you even realize what it is you are suggesting? You say you agree to a free market system, but then go on to state you believe there should be "limits" placed on potential bidders (winners)?

I believe if you think really think about what you've said here, you will realize your error, and just let it go.

If there is an organization, museum, group of investors, or just one rich guy who desires to own the whole lot, stock, and barrel of All-Star jerseys being offered from a year, what possible better way, in fairness and honesty, could their be than to do exactly that in an open public auction format? It's not like he's "shilling" them up? He's WINNING them.

I think the point is also emphisized in the fact you were agreeing with a member who turned out to be a prior trouble-maker here, previously banned, and banned again after this thread's reappearance.

Then, you go on in your post #110 to completely contradict yourself after the first four sentences. What if the guy dies? You just get through explaining that relying on "one customer" is a bad idea, but then go on to say upon realization of the guy no longer being an entity in the auction (for any number of reasons), that the value of these items might go UP because collectors may actually realize they finally have a chance to WIN one??

I hope you understand, I am not trying to pick on you, your thoughts, or call you out for any reason. I just think your frustration, as any NBA collector will no doubt share these days, have temporarily clouded your reasoning. There is NOTHING wrong with the auction process we all are witnessing. There is nothing that can be done to "improve" the process for collectors. It is what it is.

Try to look at it this way.

If you were a professaional golfer, it's just a tough time in history to have been living in the profession in the last decade. Why? You've to to go up against Tiger. Life's a bitch sometimes.

Do you get it?

Would it be fair to the other "golfers" if we the PGA were to put "restrictions" on how many tourneys Tiger could win during any given year?

I hope this comes across as a friendly post, as that is my intention. Keep up with your comments as I do enjoy reading them.

well my question to you and others who question my reasoning is have you ever bid against this guy? if not try it a few times and let me know if your feelings change and i guarentee they will.

billie-boy
04-11-2010, 06:05 PM
well my question to you and others who question my reasoning is have you ever bid against this guy? if not try it a few times and let me know if your feelings change and i guarentee they will.

With all due respect, what do your "feelings" have to do with a fair free market system that allows an auction to operate in the manner it is supposed to?

Suggesting to set limits on how many items a specific bidder can win is completely contradictory to how the auction process is set up to work. Anyone is able to bid, provided they have the means and intentions of paying, and any item is open for their efforts to do just that. Anything less would be an imperfect system, as things would then not reach their "true" market value at that given time.

You can argue all you want (futilly) on what would happen if the winner then goes to auction off the items he "overpayed" for in the secondary market, but that's an entirly different issue. If he's buying all of these items because he simply wants to own them, the value is only meaningful to him, and the secondary market doesn't even come into the picture. But, I will leave you with this thought on the subject: There was someone right there with him on each item, right up until they gave up and his last bid won it. Two people create an auction for each item, and that's about as open and fair as it gets.

If everything we as collectors were after was obtainable, what thrill of the chase and satisfaction of winning would there be after finally landing that highly sought-after piece? It's part of what makes collecting so contagious. Placing "restrictions" and "limits" on how the auction process works is backwards in regards to deep pocketed collectors just makes no sense.

I haven't bid against this guy, but I have lost out on other auctions to a number of other bidders on items I really wanted. It happens, and is part of what makes the whole process work.

I understand your dismay over not being able to beat this guy in these auctions. But if he is as deep pocketed as he seems to be, and has his mind made up that he's going to win every jersey no matter what, I refer you back to my Tiger Woods analogy: It's a bad time for you to be involved in the process...but that's life.

legaleagle92481
04-12-2010, 09:31 AM
With all due respect, what do your "feelings" have to do with a fair free market system that allows an auction to operate in the manner it is supposed to?

Suggesting to set limits on how many items a specific bidder can win is completely contradictory to how the auction process is set up to work. Anyone is able to bid, provided they have the means and intentions of paying, and any item is open for their efforts to do just that. Anything less would be an imperfect system, as things would then not reach their "true" market value at that given time.

You can argue all you want (futilly) on what would happen if the winner then goes to auction off the items he "overpayed" for in the secondary market, but that's an entirly different issue. If he's buying all of these items because he simply wants to own them, the value is only meaningful to him, and the secondary market doesn't even come into the picture. But, I will leave you with this thought on the subject: There was someone right there with him on each item, right up until they gave up and his last bid won it. Two people create an auction for each item, and that's about as open and fair as it gets.

If everything we as collectors were after was obtainable, what thrill of the chase and satisfaction of winning would there be after finally landing that highly sought-after piece? It's part of what makes collecting so contagious. Placing "restrictions" and "limits" on how the auction process works is backwards in regards to deep pocketed collectors just makes no sense.

I haven't bid against this guy, but I have lost out on other auctions to a number of other bidders on items I really wanted. It happens, and is part of what makes the whole process work.

I understand your dismay over not being able to beat this guy in these auctions. But if he is as deep pocketed as he seems to be, and has his mind made up that he's going to win every jersey no matter what, I refer you back to my Tiger Woods analogy: It's a bad time for you to be involved in the process...but that's life.

First, the guy has two different bidding ids in an auction for obvious reasons noone should be allowed to have more than one ID and be able to be signed in on two computers at once likely with the help of another person. This gives him an edge when alot of items end within a short time frame. On one id he very well may not get his next bid in ontime. Second, the runnerup idea is very misleading. I was the runnerup on most of the allstar game actual game jersey auctions and I was just going to spend a certain amount of money but once that amount was reached I folded and tried my luck on another jersey and on and on. If I had won I would have stopped bidding on the rest of the jerseys once my amount was reached. Except on a couple of jerseys noone else was within a country mile of us. Also on the rare occassions he has not bid on a major jersey often the winning bidder does not pay and the jersey ends up for straight sale on meigray.com. The Christmas 2008 Duncan and Dirk jerseys and the Latin Night 2009 Shaq jersey all ended up this way within the past year. The Dirk jersey is still sitting there in fact. Third, you are misunderstanding what I am saying about the secondary market. My point was that it is not a good business strategy for them or any company to rely so much on one customer and bad for the market in general. If it were a handful of highrollers as is the case with NFL jerseys it would be much different. But if tommorrow this guy's collection hits the market for whatever reason now it goes from these items being scarce to there being a glut on the market, which will drop the values of every NBA jersey through the floor. And most collections eventually do end up on the open market even the Barry Halper collection did. Collectors will then have their pick of this stuff and not feel the need to bid the cost of a decent car to obtain the items when new stuff hits NBA Auctions. And alot of collectors are being lost because they are turned off by him and his two ids and they are no longer bothering to follow the Auctions even. Fourth, all I was saying with limits was some form of restriction applicable to everyone should be put in place whether that is limits, putting some items on straight sale or cancelling bids when the same person has two ids is necessary to keep people interested in this aspect of the hobby and get these items on the secondary market, which is the lifeblood of the hobby. Fifth, he is not Tiger Woods. Many people even a few on this site could outbid him if they so chose. However, most wealthy people got that way by being smart with their money and not tossing it down the drain by continually paying many times what they could ever hope to recoup for an investment. If you do that often enough you will not be wealthy for very long. Derrick Coleman blew 87 million, Tyson blew over a 100. Spending millions on comic books helped bankrupt Nicholas Cage. And there are alot of other examples of wealthy people who were not smart with their money who had similar fates. Noone has unlimited funds and this guy is not the richest man in the world or even anywhere close to it.

mbenga28
04-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Barry is this week's auction the final set of All Star related items for this season? also are you able to reveal what other game used items will be available for auction in the forthcoming weeks (such as special event jerseys)? thanks.

billie-boy
04-14-2010, 11:00 PM
First, the guy has two different bidding ids in an auction for obvious reasons noone should be allowed to have more than one ID and be able to be signed in on two computers at once likely with the help of another person. This gives him an edge when alot of items end within a short time frame. On one id he very well may not get his next bid in ontime. Second, the runnerup idea is very misleading. I was the runnerup on most of the allstar game actual game jersey auctions and I was just going to spend a certain amount of money but once that amount was reached I folded and tried my luck on another jersey and on and on. If I had won I would have stopped bidding on the rest of the jerseys once my amount was reached. Except on a couple of jerseys noone else was within a country mile of us. Also on the rare occassions he has not bid on a major jersey often the winning bidder does not pay and the jersey ends up for straight sale on meigray.com. The Christmas 2008 Duncan and Dirk jerseys and the Latin Night 2009 Shaq jersey all ended up this way within the past year. The Dirk jersey is still sitting there in fact. Third, you are misunderstanding what I am saying about the secondary market. My point was that it is not a good business strategy for them or any company to rely so much on one customer and bad for the market in general. If it were a handful of highrollers as is the case with NFL jerseys it would be much different. But if tommorrow this guy's collection hits the market for whatever reason now it goes from these items being scarce to there being a glut on the market, which will drop the values of every NBA jersey through the floor. And most collections eventually do end up on the open market even the Barry Halper collection did. Collectors will then have their pick of this stuff and not feel the need to bid the cost of a decent car to obtain the items when new stuff hits NBA Auctions. And alot of collectors are being lost because they are turned off by him and his two ids and they are no longer bothering to follow the Auctions even. Fourth, all I was saying with limits was some form of restriction applicable to everyone should be put in place whether that is limits, putting some items on straight sale or cancelling bids when the same person has two ids is necessary to keep people interested in this aspect of the hobby and get these items on the secondary market, which is the lifeblood of the hobby. Fifth, he is not Tiger Woods. Many people even a few on this site could outbid him if they so chose. However, most wealthy people got that way by being smart with their money and not tossing it down the drain by continually paying many times what they could ever hope to recoup for an investment. If you do that often enough you will not be wealthy for very long. Derrick Coleman blew 87 million, Tyson blew over a 100. Spending millions on comic books helped bankrupt Nicholas Cage. And there are alot of other examples of wealthy people who were not smart with their money who had similar fates. Noone has unlimited funds and this guy is not the richest man in the world or even anywhere close to it.

Wow, that's a mouthful.

What if this "guy" is buying all of these jerseys for a museum? Maybe, none of these jerseys have any chance of ever hitting the "secondary" market?

Maybe, his source of "funds" is from many sources, and it's not just one single wealthy person?

Your rambling is just a bunch of personal speculations and generalizations of theory. Even if this is just one single collector, he doesn't need to be the richest guy in the world. All he has to have, and obviously does, is sufficient funds that are unlimited enough to beat out every single solitary bidder who wants any one of these All-Star jerseys. That much I think we all can agree on. The dude's got resources, and one hell of a collection.

mbenga28
04-15-2010, 12:24 PM
there doesn't seem to be much excitement about tonight's auctions, not sure if it's because they're just warm up gear or that everyone is already resigned as to what the outcome will be.

legaleagle92481
04-15-2010, 12:55 PM
there doesn't seem to be much excitement about tonight's auctions, not sure if it's because they're just warm up gear or that everyone is already resigned as to what the outcome will be.

I think the excitement is a tempered because one person has spent over $350,000 on ALL of the allstar weekend stuff from Lebron's jersey down to Durant's socks and it does not take a psychic to predict where tonight's stuff will end up.

Sonny25
04-15-2010, 01:04 PM
I haven't even paid attention to them.

But good luck to everyone who does bid

mbenga28
04-15-2010, 01:16 PM
likewise, perhaps some of you will be able to get the locker room plates that end in a few weeks.

pacmanfever
04-15-2010, 09:27 PM
There is a solution to the NBA Auctions monopoly...don't bid. Yes, how hard it will be to pass up on owning that desired item. The vindication it brings to place inflated bids just to make someone pay for stealing your thunder.

It is apparent that there is one person out there who will win these auctions at any cost and there is hardly anything any average hard-working person can do about it. It is rather ridiculous that someone has so much money that millions can be spent on sports memorabilia. Imagine the homes, cars, and other toys they probably must have if memorabilia is just a hobby. I work damn hard at what I do and I make an average salary, but I value it. I sacrifice making more money to do a job that helps others and I am respected for that. What respect is there for someone who is greedy to the point that it all must be theirs, not even leaving the "scum" of the bunch for everyone else to frenzy over.

For as long as people make these auctions as "successful" as they are, nothing will change and you will never have that holy grail you always wanted. Why would anyone change the format that brings in a half-of-a-million dollars for a single year of all-star items from one sport? MeiGray wins, true collectors lose. Someone who buys everything is not a collector. A collector has to go through adversity and lose something and find it and chase it again somewhere down the road.

I rather enjoy the fact that I cannot acquire any of these items because it leaves more room to remember the other great things in life. I wish to thank the almighty NBA Auctions bidder for helping me to make sure the bills are paid in full and on time...for being able to go out and enjoy my friends and family without thinking if I can afford to have a good time or if I need to save to try and win a jersey.

You have a choice...do not bid and let one person win everything at rock-bottom prices. It's supply and demand...cut the demand and prices go down. Values are going down anyway because the supply keeps going up. Once the supplier starts taking a hit because there is no one to inflate the auction prices, something will have to change. You are not going to win, so stop contributing to the problem and just walk away. And if you do win, I hope it's worth paying many times over the market value which will never be recouped...never.

mbenga28
04-16-2010, 07:25 AM
some of you keep on suggesting not to bid, but looking at the auctions throughout the day you notice plenty of new people who are first time bidding (and probably not members of this community forum) so they don't know the history of what's been going on.

BarryMeisel
04-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Hi Mbenga,

One more NBA All-Star Weekend auction starts tomorrow ... shooting shirts from the Rookie Challenge and Skills Competition events.

As for Special Events jerseys ... stay tuned.

Thanks, Barry

Sonny25
05-06-2010, 09:16 PM
I would like to give a HUGE thank you to jtnbafan (exquisite) for allowing me to win the Gerald Wallace slam dunk shooting shirt.

I ended up with a bunch of nice little Gerald Wallace pieces throughout the year, I think the only items of his I didn't win I lost out to exquisite.

ChrisCavalier
05-07-2010, 05:46 AM
At this point, there doesn't seem to be much posting in this thread other than people complaining about not winning items. As such, we are closing this thread.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly.