PDA

View Full Version : O/T: Whats the worst question someone has asked you about an auction item?

ivo610
02-15-2010, 10:01 AM
This morning I woke up with a question in my inbox about some jerseys I am selling, with the interested buyer stating:

"I've been watching a few items of yours, and i am wondering, Why is your Shipping So High? A Flat Rate Box is Less and A Flat Rate Envelope is Less? Help me out with this, I would very much like to hear you answer."

The shipping is $15, and depending on insurance and other things, it can run over that.

So this whole thing got me thinking, what's the dumbest/worst/most pointless question someone has asked you on an auction item?

Jayworld
02-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Ryan:
For me, it has to be several auctions that I've run on eBay in which someone contacts me and asks if I will end the auction early and sell the item to them for X-amount, OR if I will change my auction to a "Buy it Now" and they suggest the BIN price.

In the first instance, that is totally against eBay policy to end an auction early with an offer, etc., but that is also against my ethics. I generally reply that I'll let the auction run out to the end, and "good luck."

mbenga28
02-15-2010, 12:29 PM
how did you obtain the item and was it stolen?

and this came with a team letter lol.

TNTtoys
02-15-2010, 01:18 PM
I grew tiresome of insulting "best offers" on game used jerseys. For example, I listed a jersey at $200 BIN with a best offer feature and the first offer that comes in is $25.00. After a while, I started using the 'auto reject' feature on offers that are below a certain amount (let's say $125 or $150).

I also hate when I have a game used jersey of (let's say) a 70's star, and I get a question along the lines of "do you have any other jerseys of this style in a size 52?" I suppose these questions are from guys who want to wear the jerseys, and have no knowledge of the sizes of players and cuts of the jerseys from 30-40 years ago. You would be hard pressed to find something even as large as a 46 back then; however, the idea of buying one of them to wear around has me scratching my head.

TNTtoys
02-15-2010, 01:21 PM
how did you obtain the item and was it stolen?

and this came with a team letter lol.

This is an actual problem that the players themselves are obviously aware of. I recall being at a Ron Darling signing within the past couple of years. I presented Ronnie with his 1993 home Oakland A's jersey (mind you, this was purchased directly from the team, and had the team stamp on the jersey itself). He looked at the guy next to him, almost in disgust, and said "these always managed to make their way out the back door of the clubhouse." I then was prompted to go on the defensive and show him the property stamp and explain that it was purchased directly from the team. I wonder how many other players assume the worst when their former equipment shows up in front of them at a signing.

sox83cubs84
02-15-2010, 01:48 PM
The worst comment I ever received was about n20-25 years ago, when a regular jersey customer at the old Plymouth (MI) show declined to buy a Chet Lemon jersey from me even though he liked the style (Veeck era White Sox). His reason?

"I don't want jerseys that were worn by black people>"

Sad.

Dave M.
Chicago area

xpress34
02-15-2010, 02:15 PM
This is an actual problem that the players themselves are obviously aware of. I recall being at a Ron Darling signing within the past couple of years. I presented Ronnie with his 1993 home Oakland A's jersey (mind you, this was purchased directly from the team, and had the team stamp on the jersey itself). He looked at the guy next to him, almost in disgust, and said "these always managed to make their way out the back door of the clubhouse." I then was prompted to go on the defensive and show him the property stamp and explain that it was purchased directly from the team. I wonder how many other players assume the worst when their former equipment shows up in front of them at a signing.

TNT -

I understand players being upset when it's a Glove or Cleats, but for the most part, the TEAM - NOT the Player, buys the jerseys and hats. Bats vary depending on their contract.

So when players get bent about 'their' jersey, I have to laugh. I know from talking to players with the Rockies that if they want to keep jerseys, they have to pay the Rockies whatever the cost of the jersey was to the team - so unless they buy it and then it 'disappears', it wasn't really 'their' jersey in the 1st place.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here...

All the best -

Chris

P.S. - Worst question... I had a few Rockies GU World Series Hats from 2007 with Rox LOA... I had people writing telling me they could get player X hat (GU or AU, etc) for $XXX, so why wre mine more - what made them so 'special'??? REALLY??? GU WS Hat versus regular season hat? :rolleyes:

gingi79
02-15-2010, 03:08 PM
"Why would you charge so much for someone else's used shirt? Were you an "athlete" that couldn't make your high school team and now live vicariously through real athletes? I'd only pay $xxx (which is like 15% of the BIN)

I only own 1 shirt that average hockey fans would be impressed with so it's not like I'm selling a Mantle or a Jim Brown shirt. The jersey was a MeiGray registered Canucks jersey. It was lower than their 50% off sale.

People like that amaze me and I actually responded that I collect to feel closer to the teams I love and hopefully will add a few shirts that will connect me through some great memories of my dad. When he threw the stupid offer on the bottom, I realized he was just trying to guilt and shame me into his price.

Just add it to the reason eBay can me more of a pain than it's worth.

frikativ54
02-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Ryan:
For me, it has to be several auctions that I've run on eBay in which someone contacts me and asks if I will end the auction early and sell the item to them for X-amount, OR if I will change my auction to a "Buy it Now" and they suggest the BIN price.

In the first instance, that is totally against eBay policy to end an auction early with an offer, etc., but that is also against my ethics. I generally reply that I'll let the auction run out to the end, and "good luck."

Can you explain why you feel that this practice is unethical? I understand about eBay policy and everything, it's just I have never found it to be an ethics question. Please enlighten me with your logic.

Thanks.

-Frik

kudu
02-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Got this one recently:

"How come you will not let me give you offers?? I feel that my offers are pretty fair considering you probally got it for free!! I know you think my offer of a dollar was a bit unfair, so after much consideration my offer is $2.00. I feel this is a fair offer. Please think it over the next couple of days. I will be waiting for your response. Thank You and God Bless"

Also, the item was a local pick up only and they were from Iowa and I am in CA.

EurekaDave
02-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Great topic!
I had a guy ask me a ton of questions about a game-used jersey. Then he bought it from me and claimed it was fake based on the information I had given him. So I offered to refund his money and pay for the postage for him to send it back. He said he would keep it so that if it were fake, he could expose me as a fraud. Maybe he wanted me to give it to him.

You just can't please some people.

das1721@suddenlink.net

Jags Fan Dan
02-15-2010, 06:26 PM
I had a guy take the time to email me to tell me the jersey I had listed on eBay would have been interesting to him if it weren't autographed. That's it, that's all he had to say. I responded by politely telling him it was signed when I got it.

jdr3
02-15-2010, 06:28 PM
It was not a sports oriented item, but someone contacted me at least 6 months after the sale and stated there was a COA and the sale was not final without it.

xpress34
02-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Can you explain why you feel that this practice is unethical? I understand about eBay policy and everything, it's just I have never found it to be an ethics question. Please enlighten me with your logic.

Thanks.

-Frik

Frik -

1st, I am NOT attacking you, just wanted to help nip this before this thread goes off topic and becomes another Train Wreck, his comment was THIS - as you put into BOLD:

Originally Posted by Jayworld http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=188140#post188140)
Ryan:

He did not say it was UNETHICAL - he said it was against HIS ETHICS.

Can we please get back to the topic at hand now. This is just going back down an old path questioning another person's personal choice.

All the best -

Chris

legaleagle92481
02-16-2010, 01:02 AM
I was selling a Favre signed mini helmet and the auction description clearly stated that it was Favre authenticated with the Favre hologram, COA and photo of him signing. I received a question that stated:

"Why don't you have the pictures of Brett actually signing the item up? The auto looks pretty fake. If you actually do have proof, my e-mail address is"

I found it to be the worst question because he obviously did not read the item description.

ned flanders
02-16-2010, 08:26 AM
I sold a pair of Clinton Portis unwashed game used pants 2 years back, and when they were listed, someone wrote and asked,

"If you smell where Clinton's junk should be, does it smell good or bad"

I about lost it (laughing), and responded that I'd leave that judgement up to the buyer......

David
02-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Not a bad question, but the bad miscommunication event was when I auctioned an 8x10 wirephoto (a normal paper photograph as 99.99% of the population would figure out). The buyer complained when he got it because he thought it would be a slide. How in hell he thought he'd be getting slide, I haven't the slightest idea to this day .... However, I still accepted the item back, resold it fine and dandy, and the buyer kindly said he appreciated me accepting the return.

bigtruck260
02-16-2010, 01:11 PM

Thanks.

-Frik

Frik - I have been buying and selling on eBay for almost 10 years...and in that time, I have ended auctions early because of a generous offer on something. However, after I lost potential centerpiece type items - I've made it a personal policy of mine to let the auction run the duration UNLESS the item has no bids going into the last day...

If an item has bids - especially competitive bidding, it's hard for me to just end it. Stuff like that can make people stay away from your auctions. I know of one seller in particular who did this to me TWICE (back when you could see who you were bidding against) - and I ignore him at local shows and his eBay auctions...even if I really want something he has.

ivo610
02-17-2010, 01:05 PM
I received this morning,

"Hello. Nice to meet you.

Excuse me....I ask you.

Do you have "NBA All-Star shorts"?

"1992 NBA Western All-Star shorts"
"1993 NBA Eastern All-Star shorts"
"1994 NBA Eastern All-Star shorts"
"1996 NBA Eastern All-Star shorts"

...I am looking for them very ardently.

1992,1993 and 1994 shorts are blue shorts.
1996 shorts are green shorts.

Please look at my "Want it now".

http://wantitnow.ebay.com/NBA-All-star-Shorts_W0QQadidZ320467252129

I'm sorry for doing an unrelated question to this item.
I wait for your answer.

Thank you for reading.
Best Regards,"

Who randomly ask questions like this?

both-teams-played-hard
02-17-2010, 01:29 PM
I received this morning,

"Hello. Nice to meet you.

Excuse me....I ask you.

Do you have "NBA All-Star shorts"?

"1992 NBA Western All-Star shorts"
"1993 NBA Eastern All-Star shorts"
"1994 NBA Eastern All-Star shorts"
"1996 NBA Eastern All-Star shorts"

...I am looking for them very ardently.

1992,1993 and 1994 shorts are blue shorts.
1996 shorts are green shorts.

Please look at my "Want it now".

http://wantitnow.ebay.com/NBA-All-star-Shorts_W0QQadidZ320467252129

I'm sorry for doing an unrelated question to this item.
I wait for your answer.

Thank you for reading.
Best Regards,"

Who randomly ask questions like this?
This is a forum member. Nice guy, English is not his first language.

"I will be able to become happy by obtaining the shorts.
And, the preparation for keeping them through all eternity is made."

ivo610
02-17-2010, 02:25 PM

I feel bad now that i know he is a member. I still think its an odd question, but I do feel bad. I never meant to hurt anyones feelings, so I am sorry if I did.

karamaxjoe
02-17-2010, 02:41 PM

Nothing wrong with this approach. I'd take that polite question any day over some of the past crap I've had.