PDA

View Full Version : What would you change about the hobby?

Eric
11-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Here's a question for everyone out there.

What would you change about the hobby of game used collecting?

Everyone here at this forum has a tremendous opportunity- to have our voice heard. What things need to be changed as the hobby goes forward?

This is not an opportunity to pile on someone or their business but rather a chance to get some good conversation going about the things we as a group can work get changed.

We are the people who are spending the money with auction houses and authentication services.

Should auction houses have to provide a link to the LOA so consumers can see the specifics of the letter so there's no question about LOA vs Auction House Item Description?

Should auction houses have to provide information on how to contact the authenticator in order to get questions answered before spending thousands of dollars?

What are your issues?
Eric
(moderator)

stkmtimo
11-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Here's a question for everyone out there.

What would you change about the hobby of game used collecting?

Everyone here at this forum has a tremendous opportunity- to have our voice heard. What things need to be changed as the hobby goes forward?

This is not an opportunity to pile on someone or their business but rather a chance to get some good conversation going about the things we as a group can work get changed.

We are the people who are spending the money with auction houses and authentication services.

Should auction houses have to provide a link to the LOA so consumers can see the specifics of the letter so there's no question about LOA vs Auction House Item Description?

Should auction houses have to provide information on how to contact the authenticator in order to get questions answered before spending thousands of dollars?

What are your issues?
Eric
(moderator)

Eric,
I think one of the main things that needs to be changed is that of the way the authenticators go about actually authenticating the items that are given to them. We, as collectors, deserve to know the process behind authenticating items that are put in front of the authenticators. I am happy to see the progress being made by MEARS and the like and it is very encouraging. I hope more of this will happen in the future.

Good topic.

Tim

mikedarrcollector
11-25-2005, 08:22 PM
Eric,
I think one of the main things that needs to be changed is that of the way the authenticators go about actually authenticating the items that are given to them. We, as collectors, deserve to know the process behind authenticating items that are put in front of the authenticators. I am happy to see the progress being made by MEARS and the like and it is very encouraging. I hope more of this will happen in the future.

Good topic.

Tim
i know it sounds crazy but i wish there was a supersite where anyone who wanted to could list their game used items and they would go into a huge listing of game used items. The item would be listed along with contact information. You would list your items here even if you didnt want to sell them.

cardinarky
11-26-2005, 10:00 AM
I would initiate a federal law making production of the various Topps, Fleer, Donruss, SkyBox, Leaf, etc. "Game Used Bat Cards" a Capital offense.

G1X
11-27-2005, 11:43 PM
There are a number of things I would like to see changed, but I will narrow it down to a Top 3 based on personal observations:

1. More time spent by collectors researching their areas of interest and depending less on authenticating services. While there are a great number of collectors who already do this, some don't seem to do enough thorough research (there can be a lot more to it than scouring Getty's Images) . Sadly, there are a fair number who do little or no research at all(enough to keep the authenticators in demand). What I find truly fascinating is when some collectors say that they have no use for COAs, authenticating servies, etc., yet the first words out of their mouths when looking to buy an items is, "Do you have a letter on it?"

2. A return to the days where hobbyists show a little more courtesy to one another. Most folks I have met over the years are truly nice, respectful, and helpful, but over the past few years I have encountered more and more collectors who lack basic manners and common courtesy. Perhaps the most annoying trend I have seen in recent years is a huge increase in folks saying that they will buy something I have for sale, but then they never send the money or even have the common decency to let me know that they need to "back out" of the deal. I usually find out only after I follow up on the status of their payment.

3. Would like to see those collectors who tend to worry first and foremost about the resale value of every item they purchase to just sit back, relax, and enjoy the items for a little while!

Mark Hayne