PDA

View Full Version : Which auction house is the best to consign to?

legaleagle92481
02-16-2010, 01:09 PM
I have never consigned to an auction house before and I am looking to consign some g/u items (bats and jerseys) worth between $700 and $2,000 each to an auction house to try to maximize what I can get for them. I have seen horror stories on here about auction houses that do not pay their consignors for a long period of time and do not want to get involved with outfits like that. Which houses do you guys recommend from personal experiences consigning? Also what costs are typically involved to the cosinger besides the % of the sales price the auction house retains as a fee? Thanks so much for any input you guys may have.

harpt
02-16-2010, 01:52 PM
I have never consigned aything either, so this is not an informed statement, but just my thoughts:

I think MEARS is a great one. They provide their own grading, which is the standard in the industry, and charge the lowest buyer's premuium, which is attractive to buyers and may translate to more cash in your pocket.

Further, the stories I have heard about shipping include folks gettign their items even before they make payment in some instances.

I have aso heard many good things about Heritage in Dallas.

I am sure other folks have had positive experiencs ith other outfits as well, but these are some of the oieces of feedback I have heard around the water cooler. Hope it helps.

harpt
02-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Sprry about all the spelling errors in that post. Terrible.

obpercent1
02-16-2010, 06:41 PM
I have had really good luck with Lelands. It was back when Richard Bond was working with them and found them really easy to deal with and the catalog's they put out are second to none and they make the payments to you very quickly as well.

ivo610
02-21-2010, 10:27 AM
There really doesnt seem to be one great auction house, just a bunch of ones with different sets of issues.

David
02-21-2010, 12:21 PM
There are a few bad ones, and a good number of good ones. Good places include Lelands, Sportscards Plus, Heritage, Robert Edward Auctions, Huggins and Scott. Despite their issues, Legendary Auctions might be good now. In short, I for the 'big guys' the reliable places outnumber the unreliable ones. After, all if you don't treat consignors well, how do you expect to stay in business.

ironmanfan
02-21-2010, 12:50 PM
What about GUU Universe Auctions?

I can second the motion on MEARS Auctions too

legaleagle92481
02-21-2010, 05:39 PM
What about GUU Universe Auctions?

I can second the motion on MEARS Auctions too

I would use GUU it is just that they don't seem to have any scheduled and if they only do one a year I don't want to hang onto this stuff until October.