PDA

View Full Version : I finally acquired my Rollins gamer/grail

Dewey2007
02-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Last night I was fortunate enough to win the Jimmy Rollins '09 World Series road jersey that was on MLB Auctions.

As some of you might have read on previous threads finding a legit Rollins jersey to add to my collection has been somewhat of a disappointment. I have bought and returned 3 different Rollins jerseys for different reasons in the last year or so and recently had someone with a photomatched '08 Rollins jersey decide not to sell. Well when his WS jersey popped up on MLB Auctions I told myself I had to get that one.

As far as I know this is the only Rollins WS jersey offered to the public. I know he donated his '08 home WS uniform to a local Philadelphia museum, http://www.phillychitchat.com/2010/01/jimmy-rollins-class-act-donates.html and I assume he kept his road jersey or gave it to his family. I was told that he kept his '09 home WS jersey so that mean this is the only other one. I was also told that this is the same road jersey he wore during the second half of the season and all through the playoffs so in addition to being worn in the WS it was also game used for a good part of the season.

Being that he is from my hometown and the same high school this is definitely the centerpiece of my Alameda Sports collection. I can't wait to get it!

thomecollector
02-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Dewey,
Great pickup. Can't wait to see pics..:D

nickacs
02-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Congrats Dewey! So your the one that put the high price on it :D haha..
I was bidding a couple times there and then hit my "max" on what I wanted to pay for it.
Glad it's going to someone on the board here and will enjoy/treasure it than some schmuck who's just going to put it on Ebay with a $50k price tag.

Can't wait to see some pics when you get it. Am interested in seeing how much/any dirt stain fading you can see on the front and the HK patch.

tigerdale
02-17-2010, 02:23 PM
congrats....anxious to see photos..........world series gamers are awesome!!!!

Dewey2007
02-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Congrats Dewey! So your the one that put the high price on it :D haha..
I was bidding a couple times there and then hit my "max" on what I wanted to pay for it.
Glad it's going to someone on the board here and will enjoy/treasure it than some schmuck who's just going to put it on Ebay with a $50k price tag.

Can't wait to see some pics when you get it. Am interested in seeing how much/any dirt stain fading you can see on the front and the HK patch.

Thanks! I checked the bidding after I saw your post last night and said to myself that damn nickacs from GUU bid the price up on me :) Just kidding but I was expecting the bidding to go higher then it did. I'm interested to see the wear as well and will post some pics after I get it.

The only thing that sucks is there are no good photos of Rollins in MLB's Photo Store or on AP Images. I wanted to get a photo to display with the jersey if possible.

rose14
02-17-2010, 04:15 PM
There are plenty of images of Rollins in the World Series here:

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=2&language=en-US&family=editorial&p=JIMMY%20ROLLINS%20WORLD%20SERIES&assetType=image&ep=2

Todd

Neal
02-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Very nice! I was outbid on the jersey pretty early on, so I am happy to see that it went to a fan!

I just got my first Rollins bat on Saturday - 2007 Max. It is Hammered, and was authenticated and graded A10 by PSA/DNA. Nowhere near the coolness of the jersey, but I can relate as I am big Rollins fan.

Congrats.

Rob L
02-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Dewey, congrats. It's an awesome to finally find a grail item!!

Manram
02-17-2010, 05:08 PM
WOW. Can't wait to see pics Dewey

lowell25
02-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Awesome, I was watching this on mlbauctions. I couldn't spend that much, my wife would have KILLED me. Nice piece to your collection.:)

Dewey2007
02-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Awesome, I was watching this on mlbauctions. I couldn't spend that much, my wife would have KILLED me. Nice piece to your collection.:)

Yeah, it is easily the most expensive item I have purchased but I would have been upset with myself if I had let this one get away because I probably would not have had the chance at an item like this anytime soon.

Safe to say my spending on game used will be greatly reduced for the foreseeable future but to me it was worth it.

chakes89
02-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Anybody have a link to the auction?

Dewey2007
02-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Anybody have a link to the auction?

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=113329026&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=113675736

joelsabi
02-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Congratulations Dewey on acquiring your new centerpiece to the Alameda Sports Project. I know you have worked hard to make the project a reality and you getting this gem is only fitting. I hope your efforts will be appreciated by the Alameda community.

philsfan
02-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Very nice WS Gamer. I was watching this one as well until you dropped crazy bank on it and shut down the auction. I'm sure you guys already know that Rollins sells game used stuff on his official website. In addition, the Phil's usually auction his stuff at the stadium or sell at the stadium store. I remember last year seeing a cracked Rollins bat for $250 at the store.

Dewey2007
02-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Congratulations Dewey on acquiring your new centerpiece to the Alameda Sports Project. I know you have worked hard to make the project a reality and you getting this gem is only fitting. I hope your efforts will be appreciated by the Alameda community.

Joel, thanks for the kind words. The project has been something that's been fun to do and something that I've been working hard at keeping up especially the website. I'm always trying to add new info or update the info I have through more research. Anyhow, I'm happy to say, we will be hosting our 2nd Annual exhibit later on this summer.

You know, I think my efforts will be appreciated but to most they will have no real idea of the significance of an item like a WS jersey. Most don't really know about the hobby and to them it's just a cool item in an exhibit. It's really all of you guys on the board that understand and know what it means to add a special piece to your collection whatever it may be.

both-teams-played-hard
02-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Nice pick-up, Dewey!

legaleagle92481
02-20-2010, 01:18 AM
Very nice WS Gamer. I was watching this one as well until you dropped crazy bank on it and shut down the auction. I'm sure you guys already know that Rollins sells game used stuff on his official website. In addition, the Phil's usually auction his stuff at the stadium or sell at the stadium store. I remember last year seeing a cracked Rollins bat for $250 at the store.

Wow the prices on his site are steep. $750 for a signed cracked bat that in the site's own words the exact game used is not documented for and they have no jerseys. Dewey got a good deal all things considering it may be the only Rollins WS jersey to ever hit the market and Rollins oneday could possibly make the HOF.

Dewey2007
02-20-2010, 02:13 AM
Dewey got a good deal all things considering it may be the only Rollins WS jersey to ever hit the market and Rollins oneday could possibly make the HOF.

legaleagle92481, let's hope your right on both points... :D

Chris78
02-20-2010, 09:09 PM

When did they sell a bat for $250? I remember seeing one for $450 in September that I decided to pass on.

Chris

philsfan
02-20-2010, 09:29 PM
You might be right on the price of the Rollins bat at the store in Citizens Bank. My memory could be failing me, but I thought the cracked Rollins bat was being sold for $250. If it was $450, that's still a steal. You won't find an authentic Rollins bat with a MLB hologram and Phillies COA for $450 anywhere.

Neely8
02-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Congrats. Dewey on your acquisition. I guess what I will be sending you this week pales in comparison! :D

neverfinished94
02-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Last night I was fortunate enough to win the Jimmy Rollins '09 World Series road jersey that was on MLB Auctions.

As some of you might have read on previous threads finding a legit Rollins jersey to add to my collection has been somewhat of a disappointment. I have bought and returned 3 different Rollins jerseys for different reasons in the last year or so and recently had someone with a photomatched '08 Rollins jersey decide not to sell. Well when his WS jersey popped up on MLB Auctions I told myself I had to get that one.

As far as I know this is the only Rollins WS jersey offered to the public. I know he donated his '08 home WS uniform to a local Philadelphia museum, http://www.phillychitchat.com/2010/01/jimmy-rollins-class-act-donates.html and I assume he kept his road jersey or gave it to his family. I was told that he kept his '09 home WS jersey so that mean this is the only other one. I was also told that this is the same road jersey he wore during the second half of the season and all through the playoffs so in addition to being worn in the WS it was also game used for a good part of the season.

Being that he is from my hometown and the same high school this is definitely the centerpiece of my Alameda Sports collection. I can't wait to get it!

pm sent

Rob
02-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Dewey,

I am jelous. That is a great pickup. Congrats!

Rob

Dewey2007
03-20-2010, 09:08 PM
I finally got around to taking pics of the jersey and wanted to share them with the forum. Thanks to everyone for the well wishes on me adding the jersey to my collection!

tigerdale
03-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neal
03-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Very cool!!

nickacs
03-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Congrats again Dewey! Glad to see this awesome piece go to you and a fellow collector that will enjoy it :) If you ever want to sell.... hehe!

LastingsMilledge85
03-20-2010, 10:23 PM
That is one beat up jersey, very nice. Gotta love those stamp tags on the cool base jerseys.

legaleagle92481
03-21-2010, 02:02 AM
wow what a cool looking jersey congrats from the looks of it it was worth every penny. it is great to see people obtain their grail.

Mattapan03
03-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Phenominal jersey. Forget the 2nd half, the tagging on that jersey might make it seem like it was used all year long

Mattapan03
03-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Slightly off-topic Dewey, but where are MLB Auction located? When you got the jersey, do you remember where address was?

Dewey2007
03-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Slightly off-topic Dewey, but where are MLB Auction located? When you got the jersey, do you remember where address was?

It was mailed directly from the Phillies. I think that most game used items on MLB Auctions are mailed directly from the respective teams.

suave1477
03-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Here Are Some More Photos You Can Add To Your Collection - Rollins World Series

Mattapan03
03-29-2010, 07:22 PM
It was mailed directly from the Phillies. I think that most game used items on MLB Auctions are mailed directly from the respective teams.

Got it. Thanks. For some reason I thought the teams sent their jerseys to MLB Auctions.

Mattfedo01
04-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Hello Dewey, I typed in the MLB Hologram number and it comes up as Game Issued Jersey!! I would contact MLB and have them change that. You can see that it is a Gamer!! Take Care, Matt

Dewey2007
04-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Hello Dewey, I typed in the MLB Hologram number and it comes up as Game Issued Jersey!! I would contact MLB and have them change that. You can see that it is a Gamer!! Take Care, Matt

Matt, thanks for the note. I realize the MLB holo says "game issued" and I highly doubt MLB will change that. Maybe if all of the other Phillies WS jerseys said "game used" then I'd ask but it's due to the date that the jerseys were authenticated. Even thought it would be nice if the MLB holo was accurate, the jersey is photomatched and that trumps even the MLB info. Best, Dewey

Chris78
04-07-2011, 01:50 PM

According to this, the Rollins jersey may have been donated to a museum. Maybe he wore two jerseys during the 2008 World Series. This post is related to the April 2011 pickups thread.

Chris

MLB_Authentic
04-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Yep, and I will post pictures of the Museun jersey when I get home tonight and you can see from the WS photos that it IS NOT the one he wore in the WS.

Chris78
04-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Yep, and I will post pictures of the Museun jersey when I get home tonight and you can see from the WS photos that it IS NOT the one he wore in the WS.

Congrats on the pickup. It just hurts that I could have bought that jersey. I did buy 4 very nice pickups myself, but I left the best one behind.

Chris